Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, reminder that the Nazi stuff in FMA 2003 is pro-Nazi. the writer of 2003 actually is a nutbag right-winger who is also known for the OVA Angel Cop, in which the villains are an international Jewish conspiracy.

I'm assuming we're talking about FMA CONQUER OF SHAMBALLA ANIMATED FILM WHICH IS STILL TOTALLY ON TOPIC in that case that seems weird because at the end the Nazis are prematurely taken down (I think, officers take down a Hitler rally) and the female lead is romani

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Full Metal Alchemist once, shame on you

Full Metal Alchemist twice, shame on me

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just shame all 'round tbh

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This thread got weird real quick...

I mean, I like FMA and all but....

ANYWAY..

I heard that, in the last book of Captain Underpants, Harold Hutchins is revealed to be gay and his future self is married to a guy and has kids. This got the book banned in some schools. If this is true, I wonder if they'll hint at it in the movies considering the whole LeFou thing from Disney and...well, that's kind of all I can think of for recent movies where a character is gay and they kind of hint at it.

Also, on the topic of that movie, where can I buy ALL of the books for that series? Does Google Play have them all, if anyone knows? Amazon?

I'd say the physical copies would be nice, but I got a tablet I need to actually use and I also have no more space for physical books (except for my copy of Art of Zootopia...and maybe other "Art of" books...I'm sad I can't find a real one for Robin Hood that's not already on the Blu-Ray I own).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That is in fact true, the author in an interview pretty much stated he kind of always knew since creating that Harold was gay

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Allright, Totoro was too sweet.

Really enjoyed that

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm going to have to have a cute anime film weekend soon with Totoro, The Cat Returns and The Boy and the Beast.

Next payday I'm booking my Ghibli museum tickets btw :3:

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
How's the newer dub of Totoro? I've heard it's not as good as the one released under Fox (which is the one that I have on VHS) but is it just 'not as great' or is it like actively bad?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I've been reading The Divine Comedy lately, and it reminded me to recommend the 2007 Sean Merredith puppet-mation film Dante's Inferno. It's kind of stupid in that peak "the only news I watch is the Daily Show" kind of way, but I really need to give it a revisit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr4wmvRmQ20&t=59s

(Trailer doesn't really do it justice.)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I only ever saw the new Totoro dub, it's fine. It might be one of those "It's different from my nostalgia!" things.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Squarely Circle posted:

How's the newer dub of Totoro? I've heard it's not as good as the one released under Fox (which is the one that I have on VHS) but is it just 'not as great' or is it like actively bad?

Newer one is kind of weird imho. The older one is more accurate and I think gets the spirit of the translation better, and the voice acting is great.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
you could watch Totoro in Japanese without subtitles fine

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Squarely Circle posted:

It's because of this question that Totoro is the most expensive DVD I own. My wife grew up with the old dub and so I got it for her for Christmas one year. Thing was $75 or something. Also we can't help but hear Angelica Pickles in Mei's voice so we always joke about "Dumb Totoros, give me my cookies!"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

dirksteadfast posted:

It's because of this question that Totoro is the most expensive DVD I own. My wife grew up with the old dub and so I got it for her for Christmas one year. Thing was $75 or something. Also we can't help but hear Angelica Pickles in Mei's voice so we always joke about "Dumb Totoros, give me my cookies!"

I wish I could get ahold of the original dub of Kiki's delivery service. I only have it on VHS, and it gives me some serious nostalgic feels.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh I finished Over the Garden Wall. That got really dark there... that glimpse of the beast in the light :stonk:

Very cute ending :kiddo:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Auntie Whispers is my favorite thing. The week it originally premiered, I was hideously busy with school and missed all but that episode.
I immediately knew I had made a mistake.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Squarely Circle posted:

I only barely noticed the difference, although to be fair, I'm not one of those people who can watch a movie once and start quoting dialogue from it. But for whatever it's worth, the only difference I noticed was changing "dust bunnies" to "soot sprites" (which makes it consistent with the Disney dub of Spirited Away).

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sir Lemming posted:

I only barely noticed the difference, although to be fair, I'm not one of those people who can watch a movie once and start quoting dialogue from it. But for whatever it's worth, the only difference I noticed was changing "dust bunnies" to "soot sprites" (which makes it consistent with the Disney dub of Spirited Away).

Oh, I guess I've only seen the new version?

I'm not someone at all bothered by dubs if the VAs can sell the part and I don't remember being irked by anyone in Totoro. I've honestly been pretty pleased with Disney's dubbing. Even with celebrity casting, they've selected actors who can.. you know, voice act. Susan Egan as Lin is one of the best things. :allears:
I wish someone would redub the aunt in Grave of the Fireflies though, lady was flat as hell.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

K. Waste posted:

But what doesn't suck is YTotD, Vladislav Starevich's Beautiful Lyukanida, a 1912 stop-motion period piece enacted by beetles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA9dk2NOfF0

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's kind of astonishing to realize that was done barely five years before October revolution. What would it have been like, working as an animator then?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

It's kind of astonishing to realize that was done barely five years before October revolution. What would it have been like, working as an animator then?

wikipedia posted:

After the October Revolution of 1917, the film community largely sided with the White Army and moved from Moscow to Yalta on the Black Sea. After a brief stay, Starewicz and his family fled before the Red Army could capture the Crimea, stopping in Italy for a while before joining the Russian émigrés in Paris.

...eventful

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lucky he didn't get captured, otherwise he would have had to switch to cell-based animation

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't know how to properly communicate this over type, but I am making an appropriately disapproving facial expression toward that pun.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

This thread got weird real quick...

I mean, I like FMA and all but....

ANYWAY..

I heard that, in the last book of Captain Underpants, Harold Hutchins is revealed to be gay and his future self is married to a guy and has kids. This got the book banned in some schools. If this is true, I wonder if they'll hint at it in the movies considering the whole LeFou thing from Disney and...well, that's kind of all I can think of for recent movies where a character is gay and they kind of hint at it.

Also, on the topic of that movie, where can I buy ALL of the books for that series? Does Google Play have them all, if anyone knows? Amazon?

I'd say the physical copies would be nice, but I got a tablet I need to actually use and I also have no more space for physical books (except for my copy of Art of Zootopia...and maybe other "Art of" books...I'm sad I can't find a real one for Robin Hood that's not already on the Blu-Ray I own).

if you're not doing FLIP-O-RAMA with physical copies then what's the loving point

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

That is in fact true, the author in an interview pretty much stated he kind of always knew since creating that Harold was gay

What makes this more intriguing/ layered is that George's last name is Beard. :crossarms:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looper posted:

if you're not doing FLIP-O-RAMA with physical copies then what's the loving point

Doing what?

Hedrigall posted:

Lucky he didn't get captured, otherwise he would have had to switch to cell-based animation

That pun is so bad, it hurts.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

In the books, there's illustrations on the bottom of the page that acts as a flipbook when you leaf the pages.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Doing what?

That pun is so bad, it hurts.

jfc

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Brutal.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
You're Welcome.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

In the books, there's illustrations on the bottom of the page that acts as a flipbook when you leaf the pages.

Oh that's neat.

Thanks, never read the books before and figure I should get into at least the first book or something before going into the movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, they're exactly what you expect them to be. They're cute but I'd be sincerely shocked if the movie expects the viewer to have read them, given the series' heyday was when I was in elementary school and I'm 23.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, and from what I've seen, it looks like the movie is going to be an amalgam of the first four books in the series, which yeah. Those books are short.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
gently caress, I missed FMA chat!!! Watch both, brotherhood is better after the divergence point of the original

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/867890208712294400

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, and from what I've seen, it looks like the movie is going to be an amalgam of the first four books in the series, which yeah. Those books are short.

Not so much short (Though they are) but they're filled with comics and illustrations, which obviously take up less screentime than the equivalent amount of text.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp
Who do I have to kill to prevent the space jam sequel

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Who do I have to kill to prevent the space jam sequel

Well, if you kill yourself it won't prevent it, but you won't have to live in a world where it exists.

Don't kill yourself, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

My first thought was "Huh, I would have thought the list would be a lot longer."

My second thought was "Boss Baby 2? Surely it's a bit premature to announce that" so I checked how well it did and it turns out it's close to half a billion worldwide. I hope you enjoy being bombarded with trailers for Boss Baby movies because they're gonna be pumping out sequels for a long, long time!