Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Anyone have any experience with Character Undeletes? It says they do them first come, first serve, but how long do they typically take?

I didn't even know it was a thing until someone mentioned it in /world. I have a Lifetime account and during one of my previous periods of sporadic play I deleted my two oldest chars for some reason that probably made sense at the time.

I've put one in, but you can only have one active at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Pickles posted:

just did the google search, nothing is decided yet as it seems

I mean I created my minstrel to be a goddamn "high elf" already, why would they do this to me. Galadriel even referred to my toon as "her own kin" in the mothershitting cinematic.

I could go bitching for a few hundred words more, but you get it

When she calls you kin it's because you picked an elf (might have to specifically be from from Lothlorien) and not because you're a Noldor like her. :eng101:

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Anyone have any experience with Character Undeletes? It says they do them first come, first serve, but how long do they typically take?

I didn't even know it was a thing until someone mentioned it in /world. I have a Lifetime account and during one of my previous periods of sporadic play I deleted my two oldest chars for some reason that probably made sense at the time.

I've put one in, but you can only have one active at a time.

Undeleted character was sitting there waiting for me when I got home from work!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Undeleted character was sitting there waiting for me when I got home from work!

Congratulations!

Also anyone level 100-105: Sword Halls is the featured instance again, the 3 man instance that you can solo on most characters or 3 man in just about exactly 4 minutes if I recall

Do it daily, I've got two 105s if I see any of you on you're getting invites, easy loot

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

hello friends

requesting an invite for my warden Lowe to the kinship, please and thank you

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Mr. Pickles posted:

hello friends

requesting an invite for my warden Lowe to the kinship, please and thank you

Grimhesric and I both were looking for you at different times but didn't see you on, will try again. Also 90 minutes until the daily reset of the easiest featured instance ever. Grim and Nazgun already ran it, will run it in 3-4 minutes with any 100+ who want to.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

no worries, didn't realize I need to be online to receive the inv. I'll pm you when I see you

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm just closing in on level 102. Taur Druadan is kind of a pain to navigate, but at the same time I can appreciate that it feels like you're really out in the wild. I'd imagine the leveling pace picks up a fair amount once I get over to Beacon Hills and I'm not spending half my time looking for the right hill to climb or path to take.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

I'm just closing in on level 102. Taur Druadan is kind of a pain to navigate, but at the same time I can appreciate that it feels like you're really out in the wild. I'd imagine the leveling pace picks up a fair amount once I get over to Beacon Hills and I'm not spending half my time looking for the right hill to climb or path to take.

How's it going now? I remember Beacon Hills were kind of cool because of the quest story, but the land feels a bit stretched like Rohan. I liked getting lost in the forests of the strange little people

New Code

The Weekly Coupon gets you a free Rapid Crafting Boost (1 minute) x1 with the Coupon Code RAPIDDOR, now through May 25th!

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I didn't play over the weekend but have been on the last couple days. Took a detour to finish up the Bingo Boffin quests, now I'm ready to go back and start Beacon Hills.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I'm still around too, was super busy last week. Heading into Lone Lands like a good newbie!

Anyone have any add-ons or tricks to make inventory management less of a huge chore? That's the worst part of this game for me :(

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

LegionAreI posted:

I'm still around too, was super busy last week. Heading into Lone Lands like a good newbie!

Anyone have any add-ons or tricks to make inventory management less of a huge chore? That's the worst part of this game for me :(

I pretty much just sell EVERYTHING. I can't think of anything that's useful, besides potions and even then, particularly early on. Things I can't sell but don't want I just trash.

Then again I'm pretty universally bad at this game so take it with a grain of salt.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
My pro tip is to remember to open the scroll cases before selling them--the recipes inside sell for like a factor of 3 more than the cases themselves and that's not insignificant money at low levels. Task items (the purple ones) also sell for decent money--check the list here to figure out which you want to save and turn in and then vendor the rest.

Also, there are very few things you actually need to spend money on while leveling. The most important is the +62% goat in Moria, which is 6 gold, so if you're on track to get that by level 50 don't worry too much. Other worthwhile things are vault storage space expansions and out-of-combat morale regen food (the Traveller's Bread/Porridge/Turnover/Scones in Bree/Ost Guruth/Tinnundir/Moria).

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 25, 2017

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
Since exams are coming up I decided this would be my break game. As a EU goon, should I also go Landroval or is there a better server for me?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Laurelin is EU and pretty busy.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I pretty much just sell EVERYTHING. I can't think of anything that's useful, besides potions and even then, particularly early on. Things I can't sell but don't want I just trash.

Then again I'm pretty universally bad at this game so take it with a grain of salt.

Don't vendor crafting mats. Always put everything with a green background up on the Auction House for a reasonable-ish price because they *will* sell. Some mats(like ore, skins, etc) can be outright exploited. You'll be at least a little bit richer if you spend the 5-10 minutes it takes to post that stuff, and people that want to level their crafting will be thankful that you did. This goes for Single Use recipes too.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I used to do that, but my most recent active periods, the last 2 or 3 times, nothing would sell, so I got back in the habit of just vendoring it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xZAOx posted:

I used to do that, but my most recent active periods, the last 2 or 3 times, nothing would sell, so I got back in the habit of just vendoring it.

Yeah, I basically only bother auctioning lootboxes at this point, and even those tend to sell slowly.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I stopped playing this years ago, right as the Rohan extension was released (the one where you got war bands and stuff I think?). How's the game going? Is it still possible to solo most of the content? My character was a Champion with okay gear. Is the crafting still a game of accumulating enough raw materials and craft all at once in a long session until you reach the next tier? (I didn't mind that, actually, it was fairly easy to do the math and you find the materials while questing, anyway).

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yo haven't played this poo poo in a year someone talk me into playing again. I stopped for school but who needs to do homework, really?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Game is going good IMO. There are raids again, not that I've bothered with them. The landscape content for Gondor and beyond has been solid (provided you like the general style of LOTRO landscape content). Yes, game is easy to solo.

Crafting is the same boring grind as far as I know. I finally quit doing it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

How far have they gotten with the content, storywise? Frodo any closer to getting his finger gnawed off?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Frodo and Sam just got up the stairs. Gollum went into the cave looking for "her", then the session play ended.

The rest of the fellowship is currently at the black gate, surrounded on all sides, then you got a cutscene. Saving the finale for Mordor expac I guess.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What Champion build should I go for soloing this from whatever the post-Moria level cap was to the new one? Any up to date guide to get me (really)started? All my bookmarks are out of date :(

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yo haven't played this poo poo in a year someone talk me into playing again. I stopped for school but who needs to do homework, really?

Probably not a 27 minute video worth of excitement but Chance Thomas is back for the first time since Rohan when the Turbine overlords, I think WB at that time, said no more money for big soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7XdHf8v2nw

They end it by saying there's a bigger music announcement for next week, I'm almost positive the Russian overlords aren't paying for two different studios to do the soundtrack so my most optimistic guess might be that they're doing a box release and we get the soundtrack on CD for the first time in eight years? Shy of that, maybe a digital download album for pre-purchasing is my final guess.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I was riding through western Rohan the other day, and found myself reminiscing about the fact that they initially made a crappy synth soundtrack for the Helm's Deep expac; In the immediate wake of just having produced (arguably) the best music in the game for the previous expac, which happens in the exact same country. For those of you that don't remember, the unanimous response by the playerbase was "WTF, Turbine?" The response was so obvious and overwhelming that they quickly switched everything to play stuff from the RoR soundtrack instead.

Quick question: is it possible for level 82 toon to make it to After Battle Minas Tirith/Osgilliath without running the epics first? I'm hoping to do the battlefield rememberance for Year 7 on my Laurelin toon.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Brave New World posted:

Quick question: is it possible for level 82 toon to make it to After Battle Minas Tirith/Osgilliath without running the epics first? I'm hoping to do the battlefield rememberance for Year 7 on my Laurelin toon.
You can get to pre-battle Minas Tirith (and thence Osgilliath) by climbing Amon Hen (in the East Wall) and heading south into Far Anorien --> Old Anorien --> Minas Tirith. Of course you'll need to dodge level 105 mobs most of the way, though! If/when you get to pre-battle Minas Tirith there should be a horse you can click on to get to After Battle Minas Tirith. (It's possible you need to have done the epic for it to be accessible, but I don't think so.)

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

jalapeno_dude posted:

You can get to pre-battle Minas Tirith (and thence Osgilliath) by climbing Amon Hen (in the East Wall) and heading south into Far Anorien --> Old Anorien --> Minas Tirith. Of course you'll need to dodge level 105 mobs most of the way, though! If/when you get to pre-battle Minas Tirith there should be a horse you can click on to get to After Battle Minas Tirith. (It's possible you need to have done the epic for it to be accessible, but I don't think so.)

You can click the horse to go to after battle without doing the epic, because I've used it and not yet done the epic.

Also an easier way if you're willing to pay for some mithril coins, is to just pay a one-time charge of like 1-2 mithril coins or whatever it is to take a quick-travel to minis tirith and/or osgilliath. I'm pretty sure you can do that from South Bree. Just be sure once you arrive there to click the stable master so it saves it as a location you have visited.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The easiest way to get to Minas Tirith is to visit the Belfalas housing broker in Bree, tour a random home, and then leave the housing area at its eastern exit. There's a horse right outside the gate that ports you to MT.

flowinprose posted:

You can click the horse to go to after battle without doing the epic, because I've used it and not yet done the epic.

My 82 didn't see the horse that my 105 on Landroval has used to travel between the Before & After versions. It wasn't there. :(

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Minas_Tirith_(After_Battle)
"This version of Minas Tirith is unlocked after completing Volume IV, Book 6 of the Epic Story. "

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Brave New World posted:

My 82 didn't see the horse that my 105 on Landroval has used to travel between the Before & After versions. It wasn't there. :(

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Minas_Tirith_(After_Battle)
"This version of Minas Tirith is unlocked after completing Volume IV, Book 6 of the Epic Story. "

Hmm... maybe I went to the after-battle version first from some other fast travel location and then rode the non-stablemaster horse back from after-battle to before-battle? I definitely clicked a non-stablemaster horse to travel between the two in some direction and I wasn't even level 100 yet and hadn't even started that epic let alone completed it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

xZAOx posted:

Frodo and Sam just got up the stairs. Gollum went into the cave looking for "her", then the session play ended.

The rest of the fellowship is currently at the black gate, surrounded on all sides, then you got a cutscene. Saving the finale for Mordor expac I guess.

Wait what? Frodo entering Shellob's Lair and the fight at the Black Gate was days apart at the least. Having them both happen side by side in the story is just :psyduck:

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wait what? Frodo entering Shellob's Lair and the fight at the Black Gate was days apart at the least. Having them both happen side by side in the story is just :psyduck:

Don't worry, they don't happen side by side. Frodo entering Shelob's Lair was a session play; the fight Black Gate is where we currently are in the epic story (and was correctly preceded by the "parley" at which they produced Frodo's mithril jacket, so it's definitely sticking with the book timeline).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I played through about 17 levels on my warden before I realized I could have a javelin equipped at the same time as my spear. I thought I had to choose between being melee or ranged. :downs:

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Update 20.1.2 came out today, with this intriguing patch note:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7727067#post7727067 posted:

Rating and Vitality Contribution Calculations

• We have done some large back-end work on Rating contribution calculations to allow us to prepare for the Mordor Expansion, which will include a level cap increase. These changes impact the way percentage stats are determined, such as finesse, Block, Parry, Evade, critical chance, critical defence, mitigations, masteries, and resistance. These changes should have relatively little effect on your current stats, and were made to make it easier for us to update and manage these values long into the future. The underlying curves have changed a bit, so while current level-capped players will most likely not notice a change, characters below cap may find their values a bit higher or lower, depending on the stat in question.
  • Stat contributions from Vitality generally grant non-tank classes more benefit from Vitality than they were previously receiving.
    • Light armour classes (Loremasters, Minstrels, and Runekeepers) and Hunters now receive four points of Morale and 1 point of Tactical Mitigation for each point of Vitality, up from three and zero, respectively.
    • Some heavy armour classes (Champion and Captain) and Burlars now receive 4.5 points of Morale for each point of Vitality, up from three.

As a Hunter the Vitality change is nice, at least. Will need to log in and see how my masteries have changed...

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I wonder if that's why it was lagging so hard - I'd just stop dead constantly enough I had to stop playing. Do they stream updates to the servers in the background or do their servers just suck?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
This game was not designed to load updates in the background like some newer games do - The servers just suck that bad.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Would somebody please help and recommend a proper solo PvE build for a returning Champion?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Yellow line with some red line mixed in. Shing shing all the things.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
My Hunter still appears to be getting 3 points of Morale and 0 points of Tactical Mitigation per point in Vitality. Can anyone confirm that the numbers have actually changed for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Furism posted:

Would somebody please help and recommend a proper solo PvE build for a returning Champion?

Yellow/Red a hybrid are your only real answers. Now morale per vitality is getting boosted on champions included in about six hours, but after they tinker all the stats I don't know how much it'll change. It also won't let blue line champions have enough to be exciting tanks or great tanks.

Yellow is the aoe build, red is single target. I still prefer red/two handers, but statistically until the balance patch comes out the dual wield AOE yellow traits do more damage overall for everything except 1-2 target boss fights. If you're level 100+ and need advice on legacies, off the top of my head the crit damage boost and battle frenzy buff are probably top two, then use a slot on each for might. Vitality optional.