Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Galaspar posted:

My Chaplain is quite old.

Looks like he comes from the Liefeld school of hiding feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Who needs feet when you have faith in the Emprah.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

The Bee posted:

I don't think Marines need much more than they already have, tbh. We know ATSKNF is still around, and they favor small, tough unit sizes, so they should be fine.

Do we know how the Drew Carey and the T'''a'''u mitigate fear?

I don't think every army will have a way to mitigate it. I can certainly see Deldar being weak to it, given their fluff and that they're supposed to be high speed glass cannon types.

T'a'u" will probably be relying on bonding knives and ethereals

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Galaspar posted:

This is fuckin awesome

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Pawl posted:

I don't think every army will have a way to mitigate it. I can certainly see Deldar being weak to it, given their fluff and that they're supposed to be high speed glass cannon types.

T'a'u" will probably be relying on bonding knives and ethereals

Had a feeling. I was mostly asking Periscope, since he mentioned every other faction had their ways.

Definitely think Deldar and non-leader supported Tau and IG will be the weakest 3 factions to morale.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

Had a feeling. I was mostly asking Periscope, since he mentioned every other faction had their ways.

Definitely think Deldar and non-leader supported Tau and IG will be the weakest 3 factions to morale.

On the other hand, morale isn't going to come into play much unless you get pretty big units. At ld7 you need to lose half your 10 man squad to really notice any morale stuff unless you've got enemies debuffing you. But, maybe debuffs will be common. And there's always the chance of spiking your roll and losing guys to battleshock early, just as there's a chance of absorbing 6 casualties and being fine.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 25, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Delder will probably have some way to manipulate other Armies morale tests to compensate. The Dark Elves have a slaver unit that lets you roll a die for every model in the opposing army lost to bravery tests. For every six that army lose an additional model.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

The Bee posted:

Commisars will probably be able to shoot a guardsman in the head to prevent any other morale casualties.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Tau and IG troops are likely gonna rely heavily on Ethereals and Commissar​s to hold their firing lines. May make snipers worthwhile to back up assault tides crashing into low morale infantry.

Efb

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
All of these morale mechanics seem like a good reason to stay within your faction. I foresee mixed faction armies having a lot of problems with morale since their units may not have the right keywords to get morale boosts

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I agree, snipers will play a big role. We might see ld5 or 6 guardsmen boosted to 7 or 8 with wound allocation protecting them. Killing the leaders would be brutal.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
No question Snipers are going to be big on the tabletop from what we've seen so far. Therefore, there will be no Ork or Tyranid Snipers.

I honestly can't think of a Nid unit that *could* be a Sniper... Hive Guard maybe?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I agree, snipers will play a big role. We might see ld5 or 6 guardsmen boosted to 7 or 8 with wound allocation protecting them. Killing the leaders would be brutal.

I'd really like to see an AdMech article focus, specifically so I can know if my rangers will still be able to pick dudes off.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

No question Snipers are going to be big on the tabletop from what we've seen so far. Therefore, there will be no Ork or Tyranid Snipers.

I honestly can't think of a Nid unit that *could* be a Sniper... Hive Guard maybe?
Lictors :getin:

Melee assassins count, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TKIY posted:

What Orks lack in precision they make up with volume.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah i have a feeling sniper scouts will be a day 1 purchase for me

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

TKIY posted:

Mawlock.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Commisars will probably be able to shoot a guardsman in the head to prevent any other morale casualties.

Exactly why I said unsupported.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

Yeah i have a feeling sniper scouts will be a day 1 purchase for me

My sniper scouts will finally re-emerge from where they've been hiding.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

:pray:

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

TKIY posted:

Maybe the super smart hive tyrants shooting what needs to be shot?

Shokk attack guns would be a good ork sniper weapon ??

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It definitely seems like snipers will be extremely useful. I'm also interested in how ICs will act in close combat. Will the free 3" move activated units get allow them to move around, meaning I could slide my Nob into combat with an IC who can't hit back (since I allocate wounds and there are no challenges)? Or will ICs have the ability to specify which model they wound?

Depending on the meta I could see taking a diverse number of cheaper, army-helping units instead of a giant leader. It will also be interesting to see how ICs in vehicles work, and whether or not the effect is measured from the hull. Putting ICs inside of vehicles might be a good way to maintain their aura effect while preventing them from being sniped.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I just realized that a Vulture can be loaded out with twin linked punisher cannons. This is going to be brutal with the new twin linked rules.

I should probably finish building mine at some point. (Even though I don't actually play IG)

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

jadebullet posted:

So I just realized that a Vulture can be loaded out with twin linked punisher cannons. This is going to be brutal with the new twin linked rules.

I should probably finish building mine at some point. (Even though I don't actually play IG)

Not only that, you can apparently slap silencers on them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What Orks lack in precision they make up with volume.

I wouldn't hate the introduction of Grot snipers.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
GW has told our FLGS that they are likely only getting 1 rule book per 4 pre-ordered starter boxes.

Lol.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Galaspar posted:

Good point, I forgot to post my one of these guys

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Corrode posted:

My sniper scouts will finally re-emerge from where they've been hiding.

Hello Shadow War Armageddon Scouts...

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

raverrn posted:

Wait, what? You can put silencers on a gunship mounted mini gun? What would be the point. :D

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Wait, what? You can put silencers on a gunship mounted mini gun? What would be the point. :D

Silencing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

raverrn posted:

I would like to know more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Liquid Communism posted:

Kinda underwhelmed, because the article kept going on about how good 6+ and 5+ saves were, but 'Ere We Go sounds like it'll be a great tool to get to melee.

Yeah I'm also underwhelmed. Nothing here sounds particularly amazing.

Holy poo poo boyz get a 6+? Really? :rolleyes:

Only thing I'm really jazzed about is confirmation that challenges are gone forever, die in a fire.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 25, 2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It definitely seems like snipers will be extremely useful. I'm also interested in how ICs will act in close combat. Will the free 3" move activated units get allow them to move around, meaning I could slide my Nob into combat with an IC who can't hit back (since I allocate wounds and there are no challenges)? Or will ICs have the ability to specify which model they wound?

Depending on the meta I could see taking a diverse number of cheaper, army-helping units instead of a giant leader. It will also be interesting to see how ICs in vehicles work, and whether or not the effect is measured from the hull. Putting ICs inside of vehicles might be a good way to maintain their aura effect while preventing them from being sniped.
Yeah, if you can pile into combat you can attack the new unit, though I would guess they'd get to respond when your opponent gets to chose who to attack

raverrn posted:

I'd assume that the Sabotage mission require non-vehicle/monsters/titans, although the idea of a Seal Team of Imperial Knights stealthily infiltrating a Chaos Base to plant explosives on a tiny fuel dump is appealing.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

TKIY posted:

Silencing.

Well yeah, but I feel like it would then have to have little speakers that make pew pew noises, similar to how high end cars now have car sound speakers since the interior is too soundproofed to hear all them horsepowers.

Ain't noone gonna wanna be a gunner if you can't hear your big guns fire.

Speaking of which, why the gently caress did GW put the gunner in the back loving seat? It's not a fighter jet, it's a gunship.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

my kinda ape posted:

I would like to know more.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
With player allocated wounds and no challenges it's gonna be an ork nob clawing people until he's the last one left

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Was initially underwhelmed by the Ork changes but I think theres enough there to call it a healthy buff. Mob Rule yeeeaaaAAAAHHHH

Also the fact that the main gain for Orks is the levelling of the playing field in general - gently caress formations forever.

I want the big choppa to be good but I dunno if its enough. The Klaw is Sx2, D3 DMG, AP3, -1 to hit. Choppa is S+2, 2 DMG, AP1. If it was AP2 I'd probably go for it. Kinda sucks that the only way for Ork characters to access AP is gonna be at a -1 to hit now, unless they make Killsaws a thing for everyone and give them a different niche.

Suspect I'll be using Meks and Weirdboys over Warbosses.

Miles O'Brian fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 25, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

As it should be! I'll start with a little army of bigmars, but if orks get some good fury road poo poo down the line they're next

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

With player allocated wounds and no challenges it's gonna be an ork nob clawing people until he's the last one left

Morale is the balance to huge squads and wound allocation though, considering that it removes a 3W Nob as easily as a 1W boy. I suspect it won't be anything as terrible as 5th edition allocation, or 6th/7th edition grinding combats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

This is part of why I wish positional wound allocation was still in. I played back when this was the norm and it was dumb then and it'll be stupid now.

Who knows, maybe characters will be able to allocate their attacks to specific models in melee range.

• Locked thread