Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Players are obligated to be happy when a company does things to advertise their product!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
It's as valid as when Sean Plott got invited and immediately scrubbed out. Promotional/marketing invites don't take away from the grind, they can let in as many people as they want.

If the complaint is "why bother playing MTG when I could become a HS streamer and make actual money while also making the MTG Pro Tour", then lol.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I remember Melissa DeTora getting a special invite to Pro Tour Gatecrash and people lost their loving minds.

Example: http://www.starcitygames.com/article/25481_Congratulations-Youre-Exempt.html

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

It's as valid as when Sean Plott got invited and immediately scrubbed out. Promotional/marketing invites don't take away from the grind, they can let in as many people as they want.

If the complaint is "why bother playing MTG when I could become a HS streamer and make actual money while also making the MTG Pro Tour", then lol.

If you're trying to get on the PT to make money, you're a complete fool. The accomplishment should mean something.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Huh that's wierd, apparently the WotC building has mysteriously been swallowed by a giant sinkhole and all that can be heard are eerie whispers coming from it saying "E-SPORTSSSS"

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I feel like another invitational thing would have been a better outlet due to how seriously people take grinding but I also very much don't care. These tournaments have always existed as advertisement first anyway :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

If true that is bullshit. Getting on the PT is loving hard and shouldn't be given away.

It is true and honestly its a grab at his fanbase.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Lol at her trying to make a dig at people while parroting for WoTC

Go away Gaby, you stink

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
For the people who qualify online for the PT, do they get loaner cards or are they expected to drop $500 on a paper version of their online deck?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Tainen posted:

For the people who qualify online for the PT, do they get loaner cards or are they expected to drop $500 on a paper version of their online deck?

Depends on if they can find someone willing to loan them the cards, I imagine

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Most PTs they give slots away. They've been doing this for ages.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Weird it looks like they changed their website too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

gently caress adjacent card games, WotC should invite all sorts of people. Sports players, actors, whoever.

I wanna watch Twitch meltdown as Zac Efron resolves a Brainstorm.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
:salt: :salt: :salt:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/OwenTweetenwald/status/867817356931641344

I'm glad he said up front that he doesn't feel strongly in either direction, because I definitely would have gotten the wrong impression.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
They got rid of Modern because it didn't show enough new cards on the stream, so anything after that point wasn't going to contradict that it's more of a commercial than a legit competition

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
New players are not going to be able to tell the difference between the coverage of a GP or a PT. Why not give out promotional invites to GP's instead?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pro = promotional and whatever they want to do with their own promotional tour is basically fair game. People seem to continually think that pro = professional and anything that undermines the grind that people put into getting to a PT is offensive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Players are obligated to be happy when a company does things to advertise their product!

Yeah weird line of attack, regardless of whether they should or shouldn't invite this guy (I genuinely don't care).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

New players are not going to be able to tell the difference between the coverage of a GP or a PT. Why not give out promotional invites to GP's instead?

Because no one cares about GPs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Because no one cares about GPs.

They are covered pretty much the same way as PTs....

Also gently caress anyone who justifies this with "Life's Not Fair" I hate that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

They are covered pretty much the same way as PTs....

I wish

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I don't really have a strong opinion as far as if this delegitimizes grinding or something but this is the same company that tried to slash pro player benefits so lol at acting like Wizards is trying to do something for us out of the goodness of their hearts.

e:

Also this is another episode in the continuing saga of WotC trying to fit their square peg of MTG into the round hole of e-sports.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/bazardebagda/status/867829652181590017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Has WotC said something to the effect of "instead of 5 of you grinders, we're inviting these ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* special *:・゚✧*:・゚✧ people"? I don't get why actual pros/grinders would even care about this other than some vague sense of "it ruins the prestige", which is absurd when you look at what the PT actually is.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

They should also invite Kate Upton imo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

He'll be one out of 100s of people there. I don't get why this is a big deal.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I figure it has 0 effect on any magic player not at the PT. If it wasn't given as a promo that slot would likely just not exist.

At the PR it may jack up the day 1 draft pod a bit and give people playing them a near bye. It's pretty low down the Things To Get Mad At WOTC For.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

ShaneB posted:

Pro = promotional and whatever they want to do with their own promotional tour is basically fair game. People seem to continually think that pro = professional and anything that undermines the grind that people put into getting to a PT is offensive.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/77503582276/ive-heard-some-say-the-pro-in-pro-tour-stands

Maybe people think that because that's what it's been explicitly stated to be.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't really have a strong opinion as far as if this delegitimizes grinding or something but this is the same company that tried to slash pro player benefits so lol at acting like Wizards is trying to do something for us out of the goodness of their hearts.
I really hope no one is saying they're doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They're hoping to get a bigger and sell packs, virtual and otherwise. Some people just think that WotC and players' interests are aligned in growing the "brand".

Continual growth is not sustainable, so I don't know why it seems to wind up being the goal so often. Quiet and steady success is underrated, but I guess it's not as exciting as explosive growth.

edit: That was dumb to say, I know why. It's just too bad, is what I was trying to get across.

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 25, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

They should also invite Kate Upton imo

That is coverage I would definitely watch.

Has WotC said something to the effect of "instead of 5 of you grinders, we're inviting these ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* special *:・゚✧*:・゚✧ people"? I don't get why actual pros/grinders would even care about this other than some vague sense of "it ruins the prestige", which is absurd when you look at what the PT actually is.

Doesn't take a spot away from a single grinder.

ThePeavstenator posted:

e:

Also this is another episode in the continuing saga of WotC trying to fit their square peg of MTG into the round hole of e-sports.

She does have a somewhat unique perspective of WOTC due to her professional relationships with them. She also probably hasn't had to worry about money in a long time, so the costs associated with being on the pro tour are something that isn't as meaningful to her.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

they did not, which makes this whinging about it very disingenuous. however, they should give special invites to people who you know, actually play magic, cause it seems like this dude is more a hearthstone streamer then anything

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

odiv posted:

I really hope no one is saying they're doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They're hoping to get a bigger and sell packs, virtual and otherwise. Some people just think that WotC and players' interests are aligned in growing the "brand".

Continual growth is not sustainable, so I don't know why it seems to wind up being the goal so often. Quiet and steady success is underrated, but I guess it's not as exciting as explosive growth.

Gaby didn't directly say that but the framing of her tweet was "WotC is just trying to expand their game for us and you're upset about it!?!".

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I wasn't following any mtg online presence during it but did the same reaction kick in for when Sean Plott was invited to the PT? I am aware of about 20-ish people that discovered mtg exclusively from his participation and began playing.

I do think it is kinda lovely to the people grinding away to stay on the train but from Wizards perspective if they can get some new mtg players by getting a big name HS streamer to hype mtg it seems like a good move for them. That being said I have no idea who the person is.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I loving dislike everything about the pro tour that isn't related to the games being played on the tables. The pptq system that has taken over competitive play at every lgs and pushed out everything else. The incredible cost to building decks AND traveling to events for a very small chance to qualify. The culture of grinders and what it does to local scenes. The overwhelming disadvantage for anyone who qualifies that isn't part of one of the major pro groups being the pot of gold after the unlikely event you qualify.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Seems like a dumb decision because WotC could just organize a celebrity invitational. That would be a much better way to show off star power than pitting celebrities against people who spent two weeks constantly grinding away on the formats.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The bigger question is why is this a big deal suddenly. It goes back to at least 2013 if not earlier.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Alaan posted:

The bigger question is why is this a big deal suddenly. It goes back to at least 2013 if not earlier.

If it's a dumb idea now then it's right to yell about it now.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ShaneB posted:

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/833009346921451520

Mark with the clairvoyant answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

clamiam45 posted:

Seems like a dumb decision because WotC could just organize a celebrity invitational. That would be a much better way to show off star power than pitting celebrities against people who spent two weeks constantly grinding away on the formats.

Actually I like this idea. Take 16 highly popular "influencers" or e-sport streamers, give them a crash course and have them draft the latest set. See how the viewership compares when you use people who are actually comfortable in front of a camera.

It won't stop pros from complaining that they weren't invited, but at least it'll cut down on the "sanctity of the game" gripes.