Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You know how in the ending of District 9, the prawns draw and quarter that mercenary with their bare hands?

I like to pretend that's Ryan.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Womp womp

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/867825042368942081

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Like a DOG

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Sorry to bring back Zuckerberg chat, but he's giving his commencement speech at Harvard . . . and it's incredibly political. To summarize, he referenced New Deal and Great Society and said that it's time for a new social contract to include universal basic income and health care that isn't tied to employment; he also said that rich people like him should be paying for these sorts of social programs.

Certainly sounds like he's running for something.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

That, and the whole thing where Mein Kampf repeatedly cites American racial codes and Native American genocide as the best examples of modern state policy.

And America was generally fine with letting the European theater play out.

We would have probably just let Hitler win if Japan hadn't gently caress-started our war boner.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

B B posted:

Sorry to bring back Zuckerberg chat, but he's giving his commencement speech at Harvard . . . and it's incredibly political. To summarize, he referenced New Deal and Great Society and said that it's time for a new social contract to include universal basic income and health care that isn't tied to employment; he also said that rich people like him should be paying for it.

I mean, he's saying good things there. But, also, he's Mark Zuckerberg. So, y'know. Not really sure how to feel about all that.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

B B posted:

Sorry to bring back Zuckerberg chat, but he's giving his commencement speech at Harvard . . . and it's incredibly political. To summarize, he referenced New Deal and Great Society and said that it's time for a new social contract to include universal basic income and health care that isn't tied to employment; he also said that rich people like him should be paying for these sorts of social programs.

Oh good the demoncrat version of trump, perfect, clearly the best answer to trump

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

B B posted:

Free healthcare with ads! Do it!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People forget but prior to World War II the American Nazi Party was large enough that they held sold out rallies in Madison Square Garden.

It's nothing new. And again another example that things in the past were more hosed up then they are now.

Literally every decade of the 20th century was just as (but mostly more) hosed up than any of the last 20 years. Even the mostly "idyllic" 90's that oversaw the fall of the Soviet Union was full of terrorism (WTC, OKC, USS Cole, etc.) and saw dumb poo poo like DADT. People's memories are poo poo.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

hmm yes that's exactly what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

i was just quoting sean spicer

B B
Dec 1, 2005

FWIW, I am not advocating Mark Zuckerberg for president. Just pointing out that he's making overtly political statements / policy proposals at a commencement speech.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

B B posted:

Looking forward to the Zuckerberg/Knowles vs Johnson/??? in 2020.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Oligarchs with delusions of grandeur aren't suddenly the solution when they're not evil, loving stay home and donate to people who finished college, Zuck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Crain posted:

We would have probably just let Hitler win if Japan hadn't gently caress-started our war boner.

lol no FDR knew the US was going to end up involved in one way or another and quietly started preparing for it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Cruz is a lot smarter and a lot less feral than than Trump.

And Scrooge McDuck deserves better than Trump comparisons. Trump makes Flintheart Glomgold look good.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Confounding Factor posted:

free healthcare but we'll sell your personal information to pay for it

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Crain posted:

How many other people have you said this to?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Sloober posted:

Oh good the demoncrat version of trump, perfect, clearly the best answer to trump

One difference, liberals don't really care about Zuckerberg (he's just the guy who owns their Facebook and was an rear end in a top hat in that old movie). Trump was already a beloved celebrity in the Republican crowd due to "The Apprentice" and his persona in general.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Free Lasik but ad served retinas

Zucky needs to run for governor somewhere first.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Crain posted:

That's not true at all, we were in an undeclared sea war with Nazi Germany for about 6 months before Pearl Harbor. Not to mention 2 years of Lend Lease. We were going to go to war with Germany no matter what, it just happened quicker because Hitler decided to declare war first in the days after Pearl Harbor.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 25, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait, this is a good idea. UBI but completely in gift certificates. The brands sending the certificates rotate.

Doctors wear scrubs that are like NASCAR suits.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

hmm yes that's exactly what I'm saying. :rolleyes:

:doh: It's a quote from Sean Spicer. He's agreeing with you, dipshit.

B B posted:

On one hand, Zuckerberg is in no way qualified to be president, on the other, those are both very good things.

Fuuuuuck. Please don't make the path to progress go through some lovely techbro :qq:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/stevekovach/status/867825115865784320

I'm not sure his platform will resonate with the American people.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Looking forward to the Zuckerberg/Knowles vs Johnson/??? in 2020.

Listen we all agreed that he's going to run as Tammy Duckworth's VP so that the ticket is "Duckberg".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Liu posted:

i was just quoting sean spicer

Sorry. I didn't catch that reference. :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

farraday posted:

Can we have that guy in the stove pipe hat for VP?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Macron is a handsome SOB and any mockery of Trump is welcome.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

theflyingorc posted:

Listen we all agreed that he's going to run as Tammy Duckworth's VP so that the ticket is "Duckberg".

Woohoo

Maybe they can get David Tennant to be their spokesperson.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

theflyingorc posted:

It's possible that such an administration would rewrite history. Joke checks out.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Do we know when we'll start getting results in from Montanya?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

B B posted:

Universal basic income is several steps too far to the left for him to be a viable candidate. Thats arguably left of Bernie.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Star Man posted:

lol no FDR knew the US was going to end up involved in one way or another and quietly started preparing for it.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's not true at all, we were in an undeclared sea war with Nazi Germany for about 6 months before WWII. Not to mention 2 years of Lend Lease. We were going to go to war with Germany no matter what, it just happened quicker because Hitler decided to declare war first in the days after Pearl Harbor.

TheScott2K posted:

How many other people have you said this to?

More talking about public opinion on entering the war vs. staying isolationist (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_non-interventionism#Non-interventionism_before_entering_World_War_II), but yes the government was ready and prepared for war.

I also was mistaken on how much the non-interventionist movement collapsed once Paris fell.

Also the die hards of the movement, and the public faces, reversed course and supported the war immediately after Pearl Harbor. So yeah the Japanese attacking us had a big hand in quashing any semblance of opposition to the war effort.

quote:

After the attack on Pearl Harbor caused America to enter the war in December 1941, isolationists such as Charles Lindbergh's America First Committee and Herbert Hoover announced their support of the war effort.[28] Isolationist families' sons fought in the war as much as others.[21]

Crain fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 25, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Rigel posted:

Universal basic income is several steps too far to the left for him to be a viable candidate. Thats arguably left of Bernie.

I wouldn't vote for him but the more people publicly pushing those ideas the better.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Knifegrab posted:

polls close 10pm ET

We might have results trickling in an hour later, and maybe a winner by midnight.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

B B posted:

If Marc Zuckerberg ends up being the next FDR that would be the most LOLZY end to this timeline imaginable.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Star Man posted:

That was a good decision on his part. Much like today, average American​s could not possibly​ have cared less about Europe, and again the only reason our nation went all in is because suddenly things truly did affect us.

Russia has been beating the poo poo out of its neighbors for years, and most Americans, for all our talk about human rights and justice, do not give a single solid poo poo about that. But if suddenly we are affected, we'll pretend to care while getting our revenge boner on.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Polls close at 10 PM EST. Some time after that.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

farraday posted:

Billionaire hair cuts god drat.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

On one hand, Zuckerberg is in no way qualified to be president, on the other, those are both very good things.

Fuuuuuck. Please don't make the path to progress go through some lovely techbro :qq:

If you are waiting for a saint, you are going to wait a good long while. It seems to be becoming the truth that zero political record is an advantage in a politician, for the same reason that people get more excited about vaporware Kickstarter projects than finished games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

I vote that we rename the state of Montana to Montanya.

• Locked thread