Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, even some of the worst episodes have great moments, like the giant chess piece being cut open with a chainsaw in the background during a super serious conversation. Gets me every time.

Twin Peaks doesn't get enough credit for being funny. I think it was episode 2 when Leland Palmer lies down on Laura's coffin sobbing and his weight fucks up the pneumatic lift and the coffin starts bouncing him up and down I realized oh this is supposed to be goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

Was Lynch involved at all in bringing her in to S2 in the first place? Maybe he's ditching plot threads that he didn't come up with.

She was in the movie, I don't see why that would be a reason.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Twin Peaks doesn't get enough credit for being funny.

From the new season, not really a spoiler but two of the drat funniest things I've heard all year so far:

"YOU'RE AN INDIAN"
"IT'S NOT the bunnies! ...is it the bunnies?!"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Twin Peaks doesn't get enough credit for being funny. I think it was episode 2 when Leland Palmer lies down on Laura's coffin sobbing and his weight fucks up the pneumatic lift and the coffin starts bouncing him up and down I realized oh this is supposed to be goofy.

Oh yeah, dude, it's one of the funniest shows I've seen. I mentioned earlier the scene in Season 2 where they're having a deadly serious conversation about who's killing people and in the background is a bunch of incompetent police officers trying to cut out a body in a giant chess piece with a chainsaw. Leland's always been pretty funny, as has Andy (when he's not crying), Lucy, etc. I just mentioned it because people were saying Season 3 is "too dark and serious", and people just seem to forget that there are a lot of dark, sad moments from the show, especially it's early episodes, in addition to the hilarious and quirky moments and romance plots and stuff.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I was thinking of the word "goofy" in a negative way to describe what's wrong with season 2. It just didn't do it for me, a lot of the goofy stuff felt out of place set in the same world as all the overly serious, heavy, little bit pretentious but not enough to be bad stuff.

Might just have been that I was watching it in 2017. Whenever the show got too goofy it felt like a big reminder that "This show was made in 1990!" Different tastes and all though, I guess.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BrainDance posted:

I was thinking of the word "goofy" in a negative way to describe what's wrong with season 2. It just didn't do it for me, a lot of the goofy stuff felt out of place set in the same world as all the overly serious, heavy, little bit pretentious but not enough to be bad stuff.

Might just have been that I was watching it in 2017. Whenever the show got too goofy it felt like a big reminder that "This show was made in 1990!" Different tastes and all though, I guess.

There's nothing grounding it. Twin Peaks works when it's quirky people working through trauma/depression/grief/life struggles. It's funny that an alpaca is in the Sheriff's office while they're investigating a murder. It doesn't work if your drama is a blathering serial killer only going after one person through chess metaphors, and your intrigue is based on who Lucy's going to date, who's going to win a pageant, and if Audrey's gonna bang Billy Zane.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah that makes sense. And I guess actually when you put it that way I might have been thinking of something different as being "goofy". I'm completely fine with those sorta teen drama story elements.

I'd have to go re-watch to find specific examples, but I remember there being quite a few moments in season two where something would happen that would break up the flow of the story and serve no purpose other than being funny. But funny in the way an episode of Full House was "funny" (probably was a lot less striking in the early 90s). Just small, quick events that would maybe be one quick interaction between two characters, 20 or 30 seconds, but be enough to take me out of the story and the world. I never had those moments watching season 1, and it worked just fine that way.

I guess that doesn't make much sense without specific examples, but uhh I really don't wanna start re-watching the show specifically looking for awkward 90s sitcom moments.

And for the record overall I liked season 2, in spite of its flaws. So I'm not trying to trash an otherwise amazing show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've always described it as self-aware but not self-serious but always sincere. So yes to goofy, weird, quirky, silly, funny, because it is all those at some point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think most people are probably unaware that Lynch is a deeply funny person that doesn't really take his own films nearly as seriously as some people allege he does.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Franchescanado posted:

I've always described it as self-aware but not self-serious but always sincere. So yes to goofy, weird, quirky, silly, funny, because it is all those at some point.

Yeah definitely. Really if it wasn't that way I think it would just be pretentious instead of almost pretentious.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Between Us is good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vanxIyGp_x8

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Goddamn, Master of None S2 is so loving good. I love the poo poo out of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Your Castlevania trailer.
https://youtu.be/iIMrFnl5NiA

Edit: Got the right thing copied now!

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 25, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, I was really hoping it was a long form drama I could bitch about and laugh at and it turns out to just be a cartoon I won't watch in a million years.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Don't think the show will be anything special but man I dug the retro trailer format. WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

veni veni veni posted:

Man, I was really hoping it was a long form drama I could bitch about and laugh at and it turns out to just be a cartoon I won't watch in a million years.

Wait, is this an American show that's been designed to look like anime, or what?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I don't really care about castlevania but dude blowing in the cartridge made me chuckle.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Speaking of castles, the 2014 Beauty and the Beast is up on Netflix, and it's dope.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Wait, is this an American show that's been designed to look like anime, or what?

It's American. This was in development hell for a decade. Was originally gonna be a movie. Written by Warren Ellis too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think it looks cool

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Japanese version is gonna have better music.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
God drat Castlevania :stare:

This is gonna own so loving hard

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

So is it based on Castlevania 3?

My only hope is that they would work in some of really weird NES era translations.

'Get a silk bag from the graveyard duck to live longer.'

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Just finished last episode of the 1 season "Legion".
What a crazy show. I'm so exitet and can't wait so long to watch the second season.

Hope they can top it.

Big thank you for this wonderful show tipp. It's a long time ago that I was taking time to watch a season in one run

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

God drat Castlevania :stare:

This is gonna own so loving hard

I'm a huge Castlevania nerd and Lord oh Lord I wish I had your optimism.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I still have only watched one episode of legion and it's about to expire in a couple of days.

For some dumb reason the newer episodes expire before the old ones

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You'd better hurry then, Legion is 100% worth an emergency binge watch, tell your boss that you're sick and get to it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ha, that NES interface is a "real" thing that some of the developers showed off at one of their engineering conferences/expos.

e: found it!

Netflix Hack Day 2015 (Towards the bottom)

Neat seeing it in action, I had no idea it could stream the movie in 8-bit too (unless that was just for effect). Warning, the Netflix tech blog can be a black hole.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 26, 2017

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I still have only watched one episode of legion and it's about to expire in a couple of days.

For some dumb reason the newer episodes expire before the old ones

It takes you only 8 hours to watch the whole season 1. 😌

Legion

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I need to rewatch legion, it didnt make any sense the first go around

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Like Legion, Patriot is most definitely worthy of an immediate binge if you have not seen it already.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sarchasm posted:

I'm a huge Castlevania nerd and Lord oh Lord I wish I had your optimism.

My dream Castlevania animated thing is Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, plus Belmonts.

That looks like Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, plus Belmonts.

I'm pretty goddamn happy with what I'm seeing, in other words.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pahuyuth posted:

Like Legion, Patriot is most definitely worthy of an immediate binge if you have not seen it already.

TBH I watched the first episode of patriot and it seemed so mean spirited I was put off by it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

TBH I watched the first episode of patriot and it seemed so mean spirited I was put off by it.

The show has a heart, a huge heart. It'll break your heart even. Seriously, it's the opposite of mean spirited by the end.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

The show has a heart, a huge heart. It'll break your heart even. Seriously, it's the opposite of mean spirited by the end.

Exactly this. I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue past ep1 either, but so glad I did.

e: nobody should be deprived of Cool Rick

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Enos Cabell posted:

Exactly this. I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue past ep1 either, but so glad I did.

Even though it's laid out right there in the title sequence, it's easy to miss that the entire theme of the show is the relationship between John and Rick (and their father), and how you do things for you family without question, just like a... patriot... does... for a country...

:monocle:

The scene in "Dick Cheney" with Ichabod was stunningly heartfelt. "Welcome, club member."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alright I'll give it a few more episodes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ichabod best bod

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Everything about Patriot clicked for me. It gets my vote for best original series on a streaming service. After the first folk song, I was hooked. Called my wife at 1am and said "you need to watch this right now." I binge watched it from a hotel room and was genuinely pissed when I ran out of episodes.

The humor, the direction (especially the urinal scenes and outdoor shots by the concrete pipe yard), and the relative mundane-ness of covert operations relative to other "spy shows/films" - all just worked for me. Like stressing out over a bag of money when in other venues it seems like every spy agency has infinite funds.

Cool Rick was the best character I've seen in years. I even identified with the Bad Guy (Red Foreman) as an angry, bitter ex-drunk who has nothing in his life but his work.

I was worried they were going to gently caress up the writing by having Wife be some stupid damsel in distress arc that thankfully never happened. And god drat Stephen - I felt so guilty laughing at what kept happening to him and how John hosed with his memory. I loved the ending, where the "white knight" Lux cop is like "gently caress it, I'm out" with the cash. Only thing that really irked me was the string of unlikely coincidences that tied everything together. But that's fiction, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

pumped up for school posted:

Everything about Patriot clicked for me. It gets my vote for best original series on a streaming service. After the first folk song, I was hooked. Called my wife at 1am and said "you need to watch this right now." I binge watched it from a hotel room and was genuinely pissed when I ran out of episodes.

The humor, the direction (especially the urinal scenes and outdoor shots by the concrete pipe yard), and the relative mundane-ness of covert operations relative to other "spy shows/films" - all just worked for me. Like stressing out over a bag of money when in other venues it seems like every spy agency has infinite funds.

Couldn't have said it better myself, I just adored that show, and I recommend it to everybody.