Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just got back into Lego, because I need something to de-stress and I get cool models to display from doing Lego. I picked up the Y-Wing, First Order TIE Fighter and US Capitol building at a local Lego store and grabbed the TIE Defender off an Ebay seller because I love the TIE Fighter game. I'd love to pick up some out of print sets (White House, Super Star Destroyer, TIE Interceptor) but the prices made me go :stare:

I had a few questions for everyone though. Sorry if they're obvious/dumb but I checked the OP and didn't see anything. I haven't used a Lego set since I was about 12 or so.

1. How does everyone display their models when they're done? I was thinking of putting them on a bookshelf.
2. Do the models need any kind of special cleaner to not damage the paint/stickers?
3. The Star Wars and Architecture models seem to be what I gravitate towards. Prices seem nuts though. There are some sets (Slave I, Star Destroyer, UCS TIE Fighter) that look neat but are really expensive. Are they worth picking up now or should I wait?
4. Is it normal to have extra pieces left over at the end? I'm about halfway done with the Y-Wing and I have a bunch of random little parts and I'm worried I missed a step :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

Interestingly Lego just posted this up on FB because of GeekPrideDay (that's a thing?) and everyone wants to know about the two on the right.

oh poo poo, game controller piece! and VR headset lol

xzzy posted:

The robot is the coolest one of the bunch.
That's Series 6's Clockwork Robot, if you want one of your own. It does indeed rule.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

axeil posted:

I just got back into Lego, because I need something to de-stress and I get cool models to display from doing Lego. I picked up the Y-Wing, First Order TIE Fighter and US Capitol building at a local Lego store and grabbed the TIE Defender off an Ebay seller because I love the TIE Fighter game.

I had a few questions for everyone though. Sorry if they're obvious/dumb but I checked the OP and didn't see anything. I haven't used a Lego set since I was about 12 or so.

1. How does everyone display their models when they're done? I was thinking of putting them on a bookshelf.
2. Do the models need any kind of special cleaner to not damage the paint/stickers?
3. The Star Wars and Architecture models seem to be what I gravitate towards. Prices seem nuts though. There are some sets (Slave I, Star Destroyer, UCS TIE Fighter) that look neat but are really expensive. Are they worth picking up now or should I wait?
4. Is it normal to have extra pieces left over at the end? I'm about halfway done with the Y-Wing and I have a bunch of random little parts and I'm worried I missed a step :ohdear:

1. Whatever works for you. I had been using an IKEA Expedit until we moved, and now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with much much less space to work with.
2. Just a regular dusting should be enough most of the time. The only bricks I tend to have a real problem with is anything black, because my greasy-rear end fingerprints get on everything. If things get really scummy you can probably get away with soaking them in a really diluted mix of either dish soap or OxyClean, rinsing them really well, then letting them air dry. This is fine for printed stuff, but stickers are... probably an issue. A lot of people in the thread don't even use them for various reasons, cleaning being one of them.
3. Yeah both those lines are really expensive, the former due to licensing and the latter due to the perception of being "premium" sets (and also some licensing.) The huge SW sets basically never go on sale, but the smaller ones that you can typically find at Walmart/Target will every now and then. Architecture is pretty much never on sale.
4. Yes. They tend to add extras of small items like 1x1 studs, cheese wedges, round studs, minifig visors, Technic pins etc. Chances are pretty good that's what you're seeing.

eta: For larger purchases of things that don't normally go on sale, it helps to buy direct from LEGO online or in a LEGO Store for VIP points, especially during Double Points promos. That way at least you get *something* out of the purchase, even if it's saving on something later.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 25, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

axeil posted:

I just got back into Lego, because I need something to de-stress and I get cool models to display from doing Lego. I picked up the Y-Wing, First Order TIE Fighter and US Capitol building at a local Lego store and grabbed the TIE Defender off an Ebay seller because I love the TIE Fighter game. I'd love to pick up some out of print sets (White House, Super Star Destroyer, TIE Interceptor) but the prices made me go :stare:

Extra pieces are common for small parts. Lepin might be a good choice(it's bootleg lego with similar quality to the real thing) for the insanely overpriced UCS star wars sets, depending on how you feel on knockoffs. Had good reports on the UCS Millenium Falcon and Super Star Destroyer from them. I don't know what you mean by cleaner, Legos are ready to go out of the box. I display mine in IKEA Detolf shelves, which are dirt cheap and the standard display shelf for most nerd stuff, they are mostly tempered glass and keep out most dust.

Also I always recommend people get a Mega Core Magnetizer because it is the best Lego set ever made, lookit this fuckin thing

also also, holy loving poo poo, how did I miss this? apparently this is a nexo knight set???

edit: fuckerrrrrrrrr :argh:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Captain Invictus posted:

Also I always recommend people get a Mega Core Magnetizer because it is the best Lego set ever made, lookit this fuckin thing

also also, holy loving poo poo, how did I miss this? apparently this is a nexo knight set???

edit: fuckerrrrrrrrr :argh:

Nexo is secretly really badass. I almost got one of the jet/ship things at Walmart today because they're clearancing a bunch of stuff. Also almost got a Y-wing but I just can't justify LEGO purchases right now because I don't know if y'all know but Chicago is actually a really expensive place to live!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought that nexo knight set just for the wheels. Lots of great classic sets used them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are they the MCM wheels, or the ones slightly smaller?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

1. Whatever works for you. I had been using an IKEA Expedit until we moved, and now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with much much less space to work with.
2. Just a regular dusting should be enough most of the time. The only bricks I tend to have a real problem with is anything black, because my greasy-rear end fingerprints get on everything. If things get really scummy you can probably get away with soaking them in a really diluted mix of either dish soap or OxyClean, rinsing them really well, then letting them air dry. This is fine for printed stuff, but stickers are... probably an issue. A lot of people in the thread don't even use them for various reasons, cleaning being one of them.
3. Yeah both those lines are really expensive, the former due to licensing and the latter due to the perception of being "premium" sets (and also some licensing.) The huge SW sets basically never go on sale, but the smaller ones that you can typically find at Walmart/Target will every now and then. Architecture is pretty much never on sale.
4. Yes. They tend to add extras of small items like 1x1 studs, cheese wedges, round studs, minifig visors, Technic pins etc. Chances are pretty good that's what you're seeing.

eta: For larger purchases of things that don't normally go on sale, it helps to buy direct from LEGO online or in a LEGO Store for VIP points, especially during Double Points promos. That way at least you get *something* out of the purchase, even if it's saving on something later.

This is really helpful, thank you! I actually did manage to get signed up for VIP points and the guy at the LEGO store liked talking to me so he gave me a 20% off Friends and Family discount. The VIP points counted for the purchase too. Pretty awesome salesman. I'll definitely be going back to that store if I end up deciding I want to do that cool Saturn V you all were just posting about.

Architecture never going on sale is a bit of a bummer, but the sets also don't seem to get into the craziness of the Star Wars sets price-wise. The Capitol Building was the most expensive one I saw at $100.

Glad to hear that's what's going on. Also nice that they include extras so if I lose a tiny piece everything isn't ruined.

Captain Invictus posted:

Extra pieces are common for small parts. Lepin might be a good choice(it's bootleg lego with similar quality to the real thing) for the insanely overpriced UCS star wars sets, depending on how you feel on knockoffs. Had good reports on the UCS Millenium Falcon and Super Star Destroyer from them. I don't know what you mean by cleaner, Legos are ready to go out of the box. I display mine in IKEA Detolf shelves, which are dirt cheap and the standard display shelf for most nerd stuff, they are mostly tempered glass and keep out most dust.

I assume to buy Lepin you have to go through some shady Chinese site? I'm not opposed if I ever tried to do one of the crazier giant old builds, just wanted to know what I'd be signing myself up for.

While the Mega Cor Magnetizer is neat it can't beat out the set I remember as a kid, The V-Wing (https://brickset.com/sets/6836-1/V-Wing-Fighter)

and the :black101: THE WARP WING FIGHTER :black101: (https://brickset.com/sets/6915-1/Warp-Wing-Fighter)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Are they the MCM wheels, or the ones slightly smaller?

Guess it's the smaller ones, didn't know MCM had a different sized wheel.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=2515&in=S

vs

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=2573&in=S

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ufo and insectoids were the height of awful big part usage in sets. Nothing from them can compare to the MIGHT of the MCM!!!

Lepin can be found on aliexpress I believe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Please, the Spy Trak-I could kick the rear end of the MCM with it's rad four wheel steering system.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

axeil posted:

I assume to buy Lepin you have to go through some shady Chinese site? I'm not opposed if I ever tried to do one of the crazier giant old builds, just wanted to know what I'd be signing myself up for.

Captain Invictus posted:

Lepin can be found on aliexpress I believe.

Yep. If you search this thread for lepin, you can find goon reviews of the quality. I just got the Lepin Town Hall to go with my Lego store Detective's Office and I don't regret either purchase. After not touching Lego for a long time, these expert buildings are fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bazongas

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Still waiting on Lepin to do OOP sets like MMM and Black Seas Barracuda

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
TBH I'm betting Lepin is literally stealing molds for elements and then altering them. This means no throwback sets.

If only TLG would just re-issue sets. gently caress resellers, I want that big rear end Falcon.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Architecture sets do tend to often be on sale at Amazon for some reason. The Louvre is currently $10 off, the New York City skyline is $15 off, US Capitol is $12 off.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The warp wing fighter is cooler than the x-wing. Fact.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

EvilJoven posted:

TBH I'm betting Lepin is literally stealing molds for elements and then altering them. This means no throwback sets.

If only TLG would just re-issue sets. gently caress resellers, I want that big rear end Falcon.

Naw, it's not stolen molds. The Chinese company TLG uses just makes some copies at night without the tm and then those get distributed. Which means they can only make pieces that have been outsourced to China (no throw backs). It's the case for anything you have made in China.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But the 'lego' word is part of the mold, you can't just turn that off with the press of a button.

The dimensions of lego bricks are extremely precisely documented, they aren't THAT hard to reverse engineer for anyone who knows how to use modeling software. If you wanted you could even buy the brick you want and measure everything.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

But the 'lego' word is part of the mold, you can't just turn that off with the press of a button.

The dimensions of lego bricks are extremely precisely documented, they aren't THAT hard to reverse engineer for anyone who knows how to use modeling software. If you wanted you could even buy the brick you want and measure everything.

The difficulty with injection molding is that the final part does not have the exact dimensions of the mold. You need to compensate for minor amounts of shrinkage due to cooling and residual stresses in your material due to the viscoelastic nature of molten polymers. Let alone making it still fit decades later.
This is often more art than science. Using random cheap plastic as an alternative to trusted material suppliers you have used for decades sure doesn't help either.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

El Burbo posted:

Hmm, at what time of the day do these things become available?

At the stroke of midnight!

So stay up late on May 31st, register an account beforehand and at 00:00 :f5::f5::f5:

Good luck!

EvilJoven posted:

Lets hope the rumored UCS Mil Falcon releasing this fall is true!

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 26, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ineptitude posted:

At the stroke of midnight!
The stroke of midnight where?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Flipperwaldt posted:

The stroke of midnight where?

Everywhere!

No, the stroke of midnight for whatever timezone your Lego webpage localization is in.

TBH i am not sure how that plays out for USA with its myriad of timezones but for european countries it works out pretty well!

BrosifStalin
Mar 26, 2007
Jungle King
If youre in the UK John Lewis seem to have the saturn available on there website. Just ordered with a collect from store date on Sunday.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know what day of the week (if there is one) new sets get stocked at retailers? I'm wondering if it's worth checking Target 1 more time for the new SW sets before the 20% off sale ends.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone know what day of the week (if there is one) new sets get stocked at retailers? I'm wondering if it's worth checking Target 1 more time for the new SW sets before the 20% off sale ends.

My TRU had new sets out yesterday. Haven't been to target in a while though but mine always seems to be a week behind every other target in the country.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

Mine has Rathtar Escape and the stormtrooper buildable. Also Ultimate Batmobile.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Finished building the Saturn V for the store demo last night, and hoo boy I was super impressed with a lot of the techniques they use for it. My only complaints are related to the instructions. In one instance it's a little difficult to tell exactly which stud a sub-assembly is supposed to connect to, so I had to look ahead to see if the bottom of the SA was flush with the bottom of the first stage rocket. Also there were a few instances where they had you place a long plate across an open space and then place another long plate perpendicular over that. It's a little trickier to do it that way, and I would've recommended you connect the plates before you place them over the gap. Hard to explain, but it'll become clear when you build it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

There's pictures on Reddit from people who have already got their Saturn 5 (via the Walmart loophole), and it's about a metre high!

Also, I grabbed the S17 diner waiter (and another retro spaceman, thought he was something else) and I hadn't appreciated that the hotdog he comes with is the regular sausage and a separate bun piece that holds the sausage! It's insane!

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Next wave of SW sets has been partially leaked: http://imgur.com/a/kWIUH#SQAfXZo
Some Rebel bomber, a New Order AT-AT equivalent and a New Order Star Destroyer.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The_Doctor posted:

There's pictures on Reddit from people who have already got their Saturn 5 (via the Walmart loophole), and it's about a metre high!

Also, I grabbed the S17 diner waiter (and another retro spaceman, thought he was something else) and I hadn't appreciated that the hotdog he comes with is the regular sausage and a separate bun piece that holds the sausage! It's insane!

What is this walmart loophole of which you speak?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

N17R4M posted:

Next wave of SW sets has been partially leaked: http://imgur.com/a/kWIUH#SQAfXZo

dang, maybe it's just the angle but that AT-AT thing looks really lame

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just that they had it for sale a couple days ago with free 2 day shipping. But it sold out and they took it off-site.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Koramei posted:

dang, maybe it's just the angle but that AT-AT thing looks really lame

It appears to have serrated shins. I hate how the cord-trip thing went from being something someone did once, to the standard traditional way of dealing with those things.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

N17R4M posted:

Snooze, I don't need New Order versions of things I already have.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The New Order Star Destroyer was the most original design of TFA, so it's nice to get a set of that.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Neurion posted:

What is this walmart loophole of which you speak?

They had it for sale early on their website but eventually took it down.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

N17R4M posted:

Gah, that Resistance Bomber looks like someone had half a B-wing, half a Republic Gunship and 30 minutes to make something new. Hopefully the movie version looks much better. Snoke's got a tan robe but no lightsabre, so maybe he's not a Jedi?

Also, from Reddit, here's a look at how tall the Saturn V really is (the kid is three years old):

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
drat, now you got me all hype for the SV. I think I need it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

N17R4M posted:

Welp there goes everyone's hopes that Supreme Leader Snoke is Jar Jar. Turns out he's just some white dude

Compared to the standard Star Destroyer the First Order one looks...kinda lame

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 27, 2017