Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
You'd also think that Jessica wouldn't realize the person who's her friend of 10 years that she practically lives with is also the person that she's in love with? And she wouldn't notice despite this being the case for three years?

Really, any of Jessica, Natsuhi, or Krauss is enough to mess the whole thing up unless you're also proposing they're a co-conspirator.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Qrr posted:

She is not hands off with the servants. She pays attention to them and their schedules.

Hang on, what is this claim based on

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

tiistai posted:

Hang on, what is this claim based on

Since I just went back over it, even early episode 2, where she's managing Shannon, Kanon, and Rinon's schedules, is sufficient for that.

Edit: Ahaha Jessica just suggested to Kanon that he create 'another self' for himself. That takes on a new meaning assuming we're correct.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Still looking for the part where Gohda and Kumasawa were dead in a shed, but for sure, they were hanging. Kumasawa was looking more towards us in the CG. I don't know if this is relevant anymore, but this is what I found in "Ushiromiya Kinzo III" in the archived LP about supposedly dead bodies.

I don't know if I can hotlink images from the LP archive posted:

Ange: "At that time, there were two types of corpses. Some had their faces pulverized, and some had half of their faces pulverized."

BEATORICHE: "That's right. The ones with their faces smashed were Rudolf, Kyrie, Rosa, and Gohda. The ones with the sides of their heads smashed were Krauss and Shannon. At the time, I fickly created two types of corpses, but I realized that the former, more atrocious type was actually disadvantageous for me."

Battler: "...Disadvantageous for you...? I see. So that's what this is."

That's right. The smashed faces might look atrocious. But that made it hard to confirm the identity of each person.

For example, at the time, Uncle Krauss and Shannon-chan had had their heads only half-smashed.

That alone was atrocious enough, but because half of their faces remained, it was easy to confirm their identities. But Dad and the other three were different. Because his face had been completely destroyed, even I, as his son, could only guess by inference that it had to be Dad because of his clothes and the like. In short, it remained vague until the end whether that really had been Dad's corpse.

Battler: "If this reasoning battle had taken place during the first game as well, I would probably have claimed that, since the identities of Dad and the rests' bodies were impossible to confirm, there was a possibility that one was a fake corpse. After all, Beato didn't state anything in red during that game."

GAP brand clothing store: "Well done. Correct. A faked death is one of the basics of the mystery genre. Even if you make a doctor examine the corpse, you can't trust the results if you suspect him of being the culprit's accomplice. Therefore, corpses that can't guarantee a death for certain are always disadvantageous for the witch's side."

Ange Burger: "You can suspect faked deaths for all corpses, hypothesizing that one or more of them is the culprit for the crimes that follow. It's a move Battler doesn't like, but it's the most elementary move to use against a witch."

Bato: "Yeah, that's right. That's why Beato started using the red. With the red truth, she can carry out a perfect autopsy."

Beatrice the amazing: "*cackle*cackle*! That's how it is. Normally, for the first twilight, I would use the red truth right away, confirming the deaths of these six. However, as you know, my battle strategy this time is the complete opposite of previous games, and I'll now use red truth starvation tactics...! "Since you use it as a grounding from which to counterattack, I will not use the red easily. I'll make you come apart at the seams by using red in just a single place, as rarely as possible! In the end, it means I will permit all rants regarding your guesswork for all the closed rooms, and I only have to smash one of those once with the red truth."

Battler the giggler: "Ihihi! Even though you've always teased me, once I start counterattacking, you now hole up back inside your shell. Quit kidding around."

Bullytrice: "At any rate, I do not want to use the red, I want to be stingy! I want to bully Battleeer!! But how could I guarantee a death for certain without using red? I worried and worried over it. Then, Gaap gave me an idea! It truly is a simple method. *cackle*cackle*!"

GRAWP: "...I just pointed out something obvious and you hit upon the idea, Riiche. I simply said that you only had to create corpses whose identity could be distinguished and whose complete death would be understood."

Bea the Golden: "Kuhhihihihi! In short, I put those two things together! The face, which is necessary to distinguish their identity, and the pulverization of the head, the vessel for the soul, which is the perfect symbol of death! When I put those two parts neatly together, aah, wonderful! I came up with the perfect answer of corpses with their heads half-smashed!"

Battler the As If He Wouldn't Do the Same: "I'll bet you love two-colored bread and two-colored ice cream. You're just like a greedy kid..."

Ange before she got hired to narrate Amazon e-books for bored witches: "...At any rate, even if half of their heads are smashed, we shouldn't assume that they're dead at this point in time."

That's why I don't think that everyone in the shed was dead in the first game. Whatever or how unlikely the method that is being used to pretend to be a corpse is, it's still fairly effective. Relying on the characters' skills in determining whether they can determine dead bodies or not is not really reliable since they are just pieces on a board game. Hopefully this quoted section proves useful.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

EagerSleeper posted:

Still looking for the part where Gohda and Kumasawa were dead in a shed, but for sure, they were hanging. Kumasawa was looking more towards us in the CG. I don't know if this is relevant anymore, but this is what I found in "Ushiromiya Kinzo III" in the archived LP about supposedly dead bodies.

That's why I don't think that everyone in the shed was dead in the first game. Whatever or how unlikely the method that is being used to pretend to be a corpse is, it's still fairly effective. Relying on the characters' skills in determining whether they can determine dead bodies or not is not really reliable since they are just pieces on a board game. Hopefully this quoted section proves useful.

Reminder that:

"Not all of Battler's blue truths were valid. ...When talking about the first game, Beato clearly declared that she guaranteed the identities of all unidentified corpses! This defeats Battler's theory about the culprit of the Eva/Hideyoshi closed room murder being someone who faked up a corpse."

This leaves only Krauss and Shannon as viable possibilities, as they were 'identified' but could have been falsely identified. The primary reason this was valid during episode 5 was because the whole "throats slit" never happened, and though Erika heard the details, the 'gaping throat wounds' were never put under the eye of the detective:

ProfessorProf posted:

"Then, you're saying... that the victims were alive at that time?! Even though their necks were sliced open?!"
"Did you see that yourself, Miss Detective...? It may be true that all corpses would not lead to a mistaken examination, no matter who it was that checked to see whether they were alive, but it has never been said that there was a rule against something other than a corpse being called a corpse."

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cyouni posted:

Reminder that:

"Not all of Battler's blue truths were valid. ...When talking about the first game, Beato clearly declared that she guaranteed the identities of all unidentified corpses! This defeats Battler's theory about the culprit of the Eva/Hideyoshi closed room murder being someone who faked up a corpse."

This quote winds up being the same sort of tautology as the last game's climax, where corpses are corpses unless they are actually just people pretending to be corpses. :v:

Off topic but I really want to eat the mackerel recipe that was posted in this thread earlier. It really sounds delicious.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

EagerSleeper posted:

This quote winds up being the same sort of tautology as the last game's climax, where corpses are corpses unless they are actually just people pretending to be corpses. :v:

Off topic but I really want to eat the mackerel recipe that was posted in this thread earlier. It really sounds delicious.
The difference here is that one was actually seen by the detective equivalent, whereas the other ended up being people standing there going "you really don't want to look at these corpses I'm telling you are there".

If we can't ever trust anyone's perspectives, not even the detective's, then we might as well claim no one ever died, and everyone's sitting around playing a game of make-believe because they feel like it. We'll have just as much proof then. Or that the seagulls are the culprits behind everything, puppeteering Kinzo's body on strings to commit all the murders.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cyouni posted:

The difference here is that one was actually seen by the detective equivalent, whereas the other ended up being people standing there going "you really don't want to look at these corpses I'm telling you are there".

If we can't ever trust anyone's perspectives, not even the detective's, then we might as well claim no one ever died, and everyone's sitting around playing a game of make-believe because they feel like it. We'll have just as much proof then. Or that the seagulls are the culprits behind everything, puppeteering Kinzo's body on strings to commit all the murders.

I don't think we're completely disregarding everything that happens but for sure everyone's perspective needs a little oversight from the audience, especially the detectives'. Erika is a detective but has a clear slant towards accusing innocent people so this perspective is not absolute 100% trustworthy. And Battler as the detective is incompetent. If he saw everything correctly and didn't need help reaching conclusions, then this game would have played out as a standard mystery story and would have been resolved from the first game.

Just a little mix of belief and skepticism is good. But yeah, I agree. The seagulls totally did it, and is accurate with Knox's rule because they were right there in the title of the story the whole time. The thing that confuses me though is whether Kumasawa would be their ally for having mackerel, or their enemy because she has all the mackerel and not sharing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cyouni posted:

Or that the seagulls are the culprits behind everything, puppeteering Kinzo's body on strings to commit all the murders.

That's still the most likely outcome IMO.

witchcore ricepunk posted:

You have to wonder, though... who do you think delivered the cliff baby?

Assuming they were born on-island, I think both Nanjo and Kumasawa are strong options for this.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BGM: Cage

"I, I hope Father likes sweet foods..."
"Oh yes, he does like them. In fact, he seems to enjoy eating pretty much anything. Hohohoho."

After waiting for the master of the study to be out, Beato and Kumasawa entered the study. Then, they quickly cleaned up the books on the desk, set down the basket they had brought there, and opened it up. Inside... were several cute cookies cut out in a butterfly shape. They set out a cute plate and neatly decorated it with the cookies. It was the kind of slight adornment that the person eating wasn't likely to even notice. The whole setup was filled with that sort of feeling.

"This is... all I am able to do right now."
"To think that I would give Battler cookies... Why should I, the ruler of the night, do so much for a guest who comes so rarely?"

Then, the study door swung violently open. It was Battler, with Genji by his side... Battler's eyes went wide for a second when he saw Beato there, but his expression quickly went blank again.

BGM: Rose

"Father, please excuse me. I didn't come here to get in the way of your important game..."
"How were you able to get in here...? Wasn't this room locked?"
"...My apologies. I lent them a key because they wanted to surprise you with a gift."
"See, have a look...! Beatrice-sama baked these cookies with all her soul, hoping that you would enjoy them."
"Kumasawa-san and Genji-san taught me... I never knew Genji-san was so good at baking cookies."
"Hohoho. He hasn't done it much of late, but Genji-san used to cook many things long ago. He was especially good with sweets...!"
"Cookies...?"
"Y, yes. It's a gift for you, Father. I sincerely pray for your victory in this important match..."

Battler looked at the plate on the study desk that was piled up with beautiful cookies... and the message card of encouragement lying next to it, and his face twisted with a complex expression, which might have had traces of both sadness and anger contained within it...

"...Master..."

Genji urged him to consider saying some words of gratitude to Beato... Battler understood. He had no reason to respond to this kindness with displeasure. Even though he understood it logically, he couldn't help but give a small exasperated sigh.

"M, Master..."
"..."
"Don't make me say the same thing again. Please clean it up and take it away."
"M, Master, couldn't you just try one bite...? Beatrice-sama worked hard to make them for your sake..."
"...I am grateful for her feelings. I'm in the middle of a vital game right now. This is the final game... and it's vital both for me... and Beato as well. So please. Try not to trouble me any more than is necessary."
"That's just too sad for her...! I'm glad that you are grateful for her feelings, but can't you show it by taking just one little bite...?!"
"...Father..."

...Battler hung his head to avoid her gaze. The expression on his face caused Beato more pain than any he had shown her before...

"...Kumasawa, please clean this up and take it away."
"Master...!!"
"..."

Kumasawa clung to Battler, but he turned his back to her...

"...My... apologies... Let's clean this up, Kumasawa-san..."
"I won't allow it. By making this gift, Beatrice-sama gave it her all to try and support you in the only way she could. To tell her to take it away without eating a bite yourself... how can you trifle with a woman so?!!"
"...Kumasawa."
"If you call yourself a man, you should at least try a bite when a woman makes you a handmade snack!! If you truly intend to crush a woman's feelings like this, I, Kumasawa, will not back down even if it kills me! No I won't!!"
"K, Kumasawa-san, you've done enough for me already..."
"I won't allow it!! Master, do you think there might be poison inside them?!"
"..."

...Yeah. If Beato ever came to give me cookies... Of course I'd think that she'd put some kind of crazy poison in them...

She asked me if I thought there'd be poison in these? Do you really think... that cookies piled up in such a neat and cute way... could possibly have something bizarre hidden inside...? And... who could possibly imagine... that Beato would ever make something like that... she said... Because of that, Battler couldn't bear to look at Beato's innocent reaction, which was completely free from any malicious thoughts of slipping poison into the cookies...

Beato quietly started to clean up. Every now and then, she sniffled. Kumasawa continued to glare at Battler, but she then gave a small sigh and helped Beato clean up. However, the hardness didn't disappear from her expression.

"...My apologies, Father. Please excuse me."
"Don't call me that..."
"..."
"Don't call me Father. Beato never called me that."
"Y, yes, as you wish... My apologies."

Hanging her head so low that her chin touched her chest, Beato hurried out of the study. After giving Battler a look, Kumasawa chased after her. Kumasawa threw the door open a bit violently, and the footsteps of the pair rapidly disappeared off into the distance...

BGM: Voiceless

"If she were anyone other than Beato, you'd think of him as a true enemy of women, is that it...?"
"...I don't have a clue why Onii-chan and Beato act so friendly together. Right now, I think of Beato as our greatest enemy, the one we must defeat. Still, even so... As a woman, I can't say I like Onii-chan's reaction."
"Though I can understand Battler's feelings a little. What a sad state of affairs."

I still don't understand what kind of antagonism or connection there was between them. However, Onii-chan probably views Beato... as a friendly rival, if not something more. Onii-chan's reason for defeating Beato isn't to destroy an enemy out of hatred. It feels like he wants to give a sincere answer to her questions. Yes. I can't deny the fact that their fight isn't based on hatred... but on a stronger emotion.

"...And on top of that... Beato really is something to remain dedicated to Onii-chan all the more even after being treated so coldly. I agree with the other, older sister Beatrice. I can't understand why she's so dedicated to Onii-chan."
"And, though it may take a thousand years, that single factor that you don't understand must be passed on to the Golden Witch Beatrice we know so well..."
"...Yes. I understand that. Knowing this Beato is connected to knowing that Beato. And that may be able to explain the greatest piece in this crazy game, if not the game board itself..."
"Such a mysterious witch..."

Though she said those words, Featherine wore a confident smile on her face. Her sarcastic confidence, as though she already knew the answer, was unchanged.

"...Beatrice. I want to ask you something."
"Y, yes, what would you like to know, Ange-san...?"

When Ange asked her question, Beato, who had been reading a Fragment book in the shadows of the study, jumped.

"B, because he created the piece that I am..."
"...In that case, why are you so dedicated to Ushiromiya Battler? Is there some rule that pieces must obey the Creator that makes them?"
"There is no such rule. Pieces are tools, like a knife. If the Game Master uses them well, they can be quite useful."
"However, if you use them incorrectly, they can hurt you as well. Whether the tool is used as a tool or a weapon, that has nothing to do with the tool's own will. It is merely the result."
"In that case, why are you so dedicated towards Onii-chan? It's almost as though... that's your goal as a piece."
"Y, yes. That is the goal that gave birth to me."
"Did Onii-chan, the one who gave birth to you, give you that goal?"
"That's not it. As the Game Master, Battler merely set 'a piece with that role' on the board. Also, the one who gave birth to this piece... was the first Game Master and the one who created this game, Beatrice herself..."
"...Aaah, this is getting confusing. In other words, you keep calling Onii-chan 'Father', but he's not actually your father. You're just calling him that affectionately, because you feel that you must dedicate yourself to him."
"Y, yes. I think that's true. Father was the one who placed me on the game board. If he hadn't, my piece would never have had a turn. So, the reason I exist here right now and the reason I am able to devote myself to my goal... is all thanks to Father."
"...I see. So that's why it makes sense for you to call him Father. In that case, who told you to devote yourself to Onii-chan? Gah, that must have been the first Game Master, Beato herself. Aaaahh, this is so confusing."
"You wish to ask her why she must serve Ushiromiya Battler, correct? However, she cannot give you that answer. She was given nothing but the goal itself. Only the person who gave her that goal knows the reasons for which they did so."
"...I see. 'Consider that as well, child of man', right? So, that means you already have an idea and you're laughing at my confusion."
"*cackle*cackle*. You really are just perfect for my miko..."
"...I will... do anything for Father. My existence will bring Father happiness. That is my one and only pleasure. And..."

At that point, Beato hesitated.

"What? And what?"

BGM: Hope

"Pft..."
"...What the hell. If you only wanted to serve him, I'd say you're just another furniture of the witch, but you want him to acknowledge your efforts? That's less like furniture and more like..."

Ange stopped mid-sentence.

...I don't... get it. The guiding force behind this Beato's actions... is that of a girl who adores Onii-chan. But then, what does that make this Beato? If the first Beato liked Onii-chan, then she should have adored him and done things for him herself. Why would she create 'a piece of herself', a separate entity, to do it...? This way, even if she does attract Onii-chan's attention, it will be towards the piece version of herself, not the creator who made that piece.

If I ever like someone, I'll probably want to do things for them. But of course, I would want to do those things myself. After all, I would want him to notice 'me'. It's as though this love is destined to go unrewarded... No matter how devoted she is, she will never get anything out of it. And she's doing this out of her own free will... Beato's actions look no different from those of an average girl in love. She's devotedly doing all she can for him, dreaming that her kindness will eventually be acknowledged. Why would Beato create a piece like this...?

Is putting it in terms of romance a bit too confusing? Then let's try using food as an example. It's as pointless as creating 'a piece to eat food for you'. No matter how much food your piece eats on your behalf, you won't get any less hungry, right? You are the one that wants to eat. There's no reason for having a piece do that in your place. For most jobs in the world, you can get someone else to do it for you. However, with love and food alone, there can never be any meaning in letting another person do it in your place.

That's right. This Beato was created as a 'piece'...because of an impossible reason... Though at a glance, she looks like just a normal girl, the more I know about her, the less I understand, like an imaginary number...

BGM: None

"Right. The former you spoke to everyone without even using honorifics."
"...However, simply possessing that knowledge doesn't mean I can refer to Father quite that informally. I'd like to do my best... and start by calling him Battler-san."
"I'm surprised you haven't gotten discouraged after being treated so coldly."
"...Fath... no... Battler-san is in the middle of an important game right now. His opponent is the formidable Lady Erika, piece of the great Lady Bernkastel. It's no surprise that he was in a bad mood when I stepped in at a delicate moment in his game, just as it was starting to reach the critical part, and called Battler-san by that name he doesn't want to hear..."
"..."

Apparently, Beato still wanted to devote herself to Battler, even after being treated in such a cold manner. Though to an outsider, it just looks as though she's being snubbed, it doesn't faze her at all. It truly is the blindness of a girl in love...

"At times, love can make the invisible visible."

Beato once again immersed herself in the Fragment book that the former Beato had written. She was trying to find something about the Beato that Battler desired. Ange shrugged, as though saying 'well, I don't get it'. Featherine laughed when she saw this, as though hinting that an 'innocent young woman' could never understand. Ange grumbled something back unhappily. It seemed that their give and take had no effect whatsoever on Beato as she sat in the shadows of the library...

There was no color in this dimly lit room. However, for just the short time that the plate of cookies had been placed there, the room had seemed at least a little cheery... Battler's gaze drifted over to the table, which no longer had anything on it. When he did, the cookie plate that had been there until a second ago was revived. However, it was an illusion. Though the cookies could be looked at, they could not be touched, much less eaten...

If Battler wished, he could make it possible to 'touch them' or 'eat them', but it would be an empty sensation. It would only give the touch and taste that Battler desired. He no longer had any way of knowing what kind of cookies they had been.

BGM: Worldend (solo)

On the reception sofa across from Battler, a cloud of gold butterflies slowly gathered, and took the form of the old Beato.

"'Pu ku ku ku! Hearing that from Milady makes them all the more dubious.'"
"...Seriously. Any cookies you made would obviously have some kind of strange poison in them."
"'Shocking that you should think so. Even if I did put something in, it'd be no worse than the kind that does this and that to your other thing. Uhyahyahya!'"
"'Since you do that sort of thing all the time, Battler-kun will never agree to eat them.'"
"'Huh? Putting things in someone's food is pretty basic, isn't it? Fingernails, bits of hair, magic charms, Fragments of love... eheheheheheheheh! What would you people put in?'"
"'Yes, ma'aaam!! I wouldn't put anything in them! I'd just eat them all myself!'"
"'Obviously. Do you have to be so predictable?!!'"
"'Well, they say a girl's gotta grab by all three sacks★ The first step is the stomach, right? Next comes the wallet... so what could the third one be?! *giggle*★'"
"'If I could catch a guy's attention, I'd want to make him sacrifice his body, heart, and soul to me! That's why I pour all my power and affection into my cooking.'"
"'Heheh, in any event, making someone eat your food is probably a frontal attack that has gone unchanged through the ages.'"
"'Ridiculous. How pathetic to think that you couldn't grasp a single man's heart except by relying on such simple tricks.'"
"Ooh~? So does that mean you've ever succeeded in grasping a man's heart, Onee-sama?'"
"'Battler, there's nothing weird in it, so have a bi~te. Don't think you'll ever get a chance to eat my handmade cookies again★'"

I slowly stretched out my hand... out to the illusion of the cookie plate... and touched it. Just before I did, it became a cloud of gold butterflies, and vanished into the darkness of the study. The illusions of Ronove and Virgilia also disappeared. However, the illusion of Beato alone still remained on the sofa.

BGM: My Dear

"...Do I really need to say it?"
"*cackle*cackle*cackle*. The more the new 'me' differs from the form you wished for, the more you are reminded that I can never be revived again, correct?"
"..."
"*cackle*cackle*! If you let a good woman get away, you never get a second chance. So, only now, you've finally realized what a good woman I wa~s."

"Hmph..."

Beato lay sprawled on the sofa and looked up at the ceiling. Battler also turned his back and moved to the window. For a while, there was silence.

"I think you understand, but..."
"...I do understand."

"...I know. Even though that Beato is you without a doubt, she's a different being than the former you... and I can say with certainty... that you will never revive again..."
"My soul, femininity, sparkling personality, and splendid character were cultivated in a thousand years spent as a witch. Unless an exactly identical thousand years is traversed, it is impossible to become me. And so, at the moment you decided to create me, my personal history contained differences."
"Yeah. That drat Bernkastel has already guaranteed that you'll never revive..."
"However, you still hope for it, don't you?"
"..."
"One day, the new 'me' trips and lands on her head, and all her memories of the past are restored! You were hoping for something like that, weren't you?"
"Ahyahyahyahya! A delusional plot like that wouldn't even pass in a light novel these days!"
"...Shut up. In the past, you also... You waited and waited... for me to remember... and take notice..."
"..."
"..."

Then, what is it?

"...Hmph... Well, at times, I did continue the game believing that you would eventually notice and remember, that a miracle would occur."
"...How did it feel? How did it feel when you were playing with me?"
"*cackle*cackle*cackle*... As they say, look inside your own heart..."
"..."

...It's tough. If only she didn't look so much like you, I would have kept my cool a little better.

"...I would if it was you. It'd probably make me feel a lot better. But... that Beato... isn't you."
"If it isn't me, who is it?"
"...It's someone very like you... but not you."
"However, there can be no doubt that she is me."
"...True. She is you, and at the same time, she is a different person."
"In that case, the new 'me' really has it rough. She's being treated like a plaything in my place. *cackle*cackle*, how truly pitiable."
"..."

That might... be the contradiction inside me. Because the new Beato seems like a different person, I can't accept her. Even though I know she's a different person, she keeps reminding me of Beato's face.

BGM: Thanks for Being Born

"...Your daughter...?"
"She does share my blood, so consider her a daughter that closely resembles me. After all, she is my double, but hasn't lived a thousand years, so calling her that is not incongruous."
"...True..."
"Imagine that I have died, left behind a daughter... and entrusted her to you. That way, won't it become a little easier to think of how to deal with her?"
"That's actually a good analogy. It's unlike you."
"Do not jest. That is my daughter. She is the child I left behind after my death."
"...You are free to press my likeness upon her. You may also let loose your pent up resentment on her in my place. Making her bear my sins and torturing her as you please may calm your grudge. If that doesn't match your tastes, you can also guide her down the right path so that she does not end up on the inhumane road that I have tread."
"...She was made to devote herself to you since the moment of her birth. If you wish, you can mold her into any shape you desire. With a miracle of a thousand years, she might even become me."
"...So, I could even strip her naked and drag her around with a chain, like you did to me once."
"*cackle*cackle*. Yes, at this point, even greater humiliation would be possible..."
"...So, she is... your double... and your daughter..."

Yes, she is exactly the same person, the same piece, which was created once more by the rule called Beatrice. However, when I can't accept it that way, I could have interpreted her as being Beato's daughter, and found a clear guidepost on how to interact with her and smooth the uncertainty in my heart. Finally... I... I understand how cruel... I was to her then... My tears poured to the ground, and when I followed them with my eyes...

It was... the message card that had adorned those cookies. I rushed her, telling her to clean up and leave right away, which was probably why it had fallen to the floor unnoticed. I picked it up, and read the message on it. It was... extremely short, pure, and sincere. It's so clear, that I should be able to read it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

In a castle keep, in a vault of stone,
In a house at the end of the lane,
An old man weeps in his door alone,
And he sings out this mournful refrain:

She will not come back, she will not come back,
Though the mountains fall into the sea,
And the sky burns to cinders, and the rivers run black,
She will not come back to me.

:smith:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Is this scene a hint towards Kinzo and Beatrice 2's relationship? Regardless, it's all really unsettling... I can get why Battler would be creeped out, but if the Kinzo parallel holds I'm more creeped out by him.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Whatever it is, at least Chick Beatrice isn't actually old Beato's daughter despite what Battler's telling himself in order to keep it together

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Is this scene a hint towards Kinzo and Beatrice 2's relationship? Regardless, it's all really unsettling... I can get why Battler would be creeped out, but if the Kinzo parallel holds I'm more creeped out by him.

I was thinking the same thing. I actually laughed at how Battler is philosophizing about having a newborn soul to mold to his own liking all the while gentle, heartfelt music plays. :wtc: This is how we go down the route of keeping kids locked up all of their lives on a witch island.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 24, 2017

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
Ok, this is absolutely me projecting, as irl I work with people who've experienced traumatic brain injuries, but the interacting with someone who is the person you know but also isn't reminds me so much of that. I just feel sorry for Battler, a bit creeped out maybe, but nowhere near the level I would be if I hadn't seen similar situations play out many times before. The scene earlier where she's almost catatonic and he's helping her drink is almost identical to situations I've seen irl.

I know it's probably not intended, and it's just personal experience showing, but drat these scenes hit me :(

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm not sure it isn't intended. Seeing a new person in the body of someone you cared about is an old horror; we've had a fear of that since the dawn of recorded history, not just due to actual mental illnesses and injuries, but due to the fact that people change. Have you never run into a former significant other and wondered how they could possibly have become the person they are now, or whether they were all along and you somehow never noticed? It's an uncomfortable feeling. It's like grieving a death, in the case of change or the case of illness or even being mistaken about someone's personality, because the person you knew is actually gone, but you somehow don't feel entitled to really grieve because there is someone still there. I think we're supposed to understand that this is where Battler is here, even if his situation is a little uncomfortable for other reasons.

Ha. I admit I have some sympathy for Erika, waiting around for the romance to end and the puzzles to start. Of course, she doesn't seem to be capable of understanding that the key to the puzzles is the romance.

alcharagia posted:

"Of course, Battler! Resurgam, Witchcore, Peas, bman, Cottonwolf, Cyouni, ZiegeDame, AAAAAAAALL OF THEM, T H E Y N E V E R R E A L L Y E X I S T E D , R I G H T ? !"

Curses! She's found us out!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Abusing children is such a depressing theme.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm not sure it isn't intended. Seeing a new person in the body of someone you cared about is an old horror; we've had a fear of that since the dawn of recorded history, not just due to actual mental illnesses and injuries, but due to the fact that people change. Have you never run into a former significant other and wondered how they could possibly have become the person they are now, or whether they were all along and you somehow never noticed? It's an uncomfortable feeling. It's like grieving a death, in the case of change or the case of illness or even being mistaken about someone's personality, because the person you knew is actually gone, but you somehow don't feel entitled to really grieve because there is someone still there. I think we're supposed to understand that this is where Battler is here, even if his situation is a little uncomfortable for other reasons.

Yeah, this is all round hosed up. I mean it's almost as if your significant other forgot they were your significant other and started believing that they were your son or daughter. Battler's not handling it well, but emotionally it makes sense, even if it's terrible for everyone.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

I thought this too. Apparently that's the cape of bad judgement he inherited from Kinzo.

Maybe even creepier if, as I suspect, Beatrice 67 is Battler's mother.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So this role-reversal talk got me thinking about a few things. Particularly Beato's line in Ep4 about how the real Battler would have remembered his sin, and Ange's talk earlier this episode about how if you stopped going to school or whatever for a long time, and eventually tried to go back it wouldn't be the same and you wouldn't be the same and you could never really go back to being the same person you were before.

So when Battler showed up to the family conference in 1986, he was not the same Battler that Beato was hoping to see. Not because of any body double or baby switching shenanigans, but simply because people can change in 6 years, especially teenage years. So much of Beato's bullying stems from her frustration that this guy looks like her Battler and sounds like her Battler but doesn't act like him and is a constant reminder that her Battler is dead and gone (figuratively) and every interaction is a nail in the coffin. But she's still holding out hope that her Battler can be revived, and remember whatever it is that they shared, until the end of Ep4 where she just stops trying.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ZiegeDame posted:

So this role-reversal talk got me thinking about a few things. Particularly Beato's line in Ep4 about how the real Battler would have remembered his sin, and Ange's talk earlier this episode about how if you stopped going to school or whatever for a long time, and eventually tried to go back it wouldn't be the same and you wouldn't be the same and you could never really go back to being the same person you were before.

So when Battler showed up to the family conference in 1986, he was not the same Battler that Beato was hoping to see. Not because of any body double or baby switching shenanigans, but simply because people can change in 6 years, especially teenage years. So much of Beato's bullying stems from her frustration that this guy looks like her Battler and sounds like her Battler but doesn't act like him and is a constant reminder that her Battler is dead and gone (figuratively) and every interaction is a nail in the coffin. But she's still holding out hope that her Battler can be revived, and remember whatever it is that they shared, until the end of Ep4 where she just stops trying.

...Oh god, this is probably absolutely true. Congrats on the great insight. :golfclap:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Oof, yeah. That definitely makes me think of the tendency people have of projecting their own desires and needs onto the people they love, often to the detriment of the relationship. Beatrice said that the "real Battler" wouldn't have forgotten his "sin," but her arrogant assumption is that she ever knew who the "real" person was in the first place. The real Battler of 1980 was a child who was really loving wounded by his mother's death and his father's subsequent betrayal, so much so that his home didn't even feel like home anymore. If you're in Sayo/'sBeatrice's position, you can either put your needs aside to be there for your loved one or get really loving pissy that they're so caught up in their own business that they're not paying attention to you anymore. Choosing the latter approach*, as she did, shows that this was never about her love for Battler as a person.

*and also electing to murder his entire family

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 24, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I dunno why y'all are so shocked by the Kinzo parallels, it's established fact that wizards have no sense of right and wrong.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yes, this aspect about Beatrice feels very important. It reminds me of the other bit about this update that jumped out:

ProfessorProf posted:

"...I will... do anything for Father. My existence will bring Father happiness. That is my one and only pleasure. And..."

At that point, Beato hesitated.

"What? And what?"

It's not just to serve, it's to be acknowledged... to be known. To be recognized, by the one on your mind. This is a part of neo Beatrice that was apparently put in by her creator, which wasn't Battler as we though, but Old Beatrice, and an interesting thing to know is whether this was intentional on Beato's part or subconscious.* The Battler who made the promise was hugely important to her for some reason, and she latched on to it like a drowning man to a branch; the Battler of six years ago was the answer to a question we don't really know yet, and when the Battler of this story, the Battler we know, did not know the answer...suffering resulted. I can't really blame Battler for that, it's not like he (or anyone else) can control whether someone makes them the center of their emotional well being out of desperation... but I can blame him for trying to do the same to New Beat as Old Beat did to him. Or Kinzo to Beato, of course.

*Meaning, did she mean to reflect her inner life, or was that the purpose of this piece? A thought that occurred is that maybe young Beatrice is a receptacle that Beato poured her girlhood feelings into so that she could forget and be her full witchy self, but there's no indication that that's how pieces work... is it meant to be a reflection of some kind, then, a keepsake of the innocent past she didn't want to forget? Or is there yet another purpose I can't see?

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 24, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

This update continues to hammer in the importance of the 6-years ago promise (still presumably the "I'll be back" given contextual clues) and how Beatrice saw Battler as a different person when he returned remembering nothing, similar to how chick-Beato is now.

The motivations and the way the role-reversal is phrased suggest that the one who Battler made the promise to and the one committing the murders are the same, i.e. Shannon. Yet the past information (create another self, among other thing) and the talk of how the Beato that loves Battler is 'a separate entity' suggests that they're different people, which I've been guessing to be Kanon. I'm of two minds about this, but I think I'm still leaning towards Kanon.

The whole thing here:
"...You are free to press my likeness upon her. You may also let loose your pent up resentment on her in my place. Making her bear my sins and torturing her as you please may calm your grudge. If that doesn't match your tastes, you can also guide her down the right path so that she does not end up on the inhumane road that I have tread."
This to some degree feels exactly like what happened over the first four games. Beatrice loosing up her "pent up resentment" of six years upon Battler, who's now a different person that remembers nothing of the past.

EagerSleeper posted:

I don't think we're completely disregarding everything that happens but for sure everyone's perspective needs a little oversight from the audience, especially the detectives'. Erika is a detective but has a clear slant towards accusing innocent people so this perspective is not absolute 100% trustworthy. And Battler as the detective is incompetent. If he saw everything correctly and didn't need help reaching conclusions, then this game would have played out as a standard mystery story and would have been resolved from the first game.

Just a little mix of belief and skepticism is good. But yeah, I agree. The seagulls totally did it, and is accurate with Knox's rule because they were right there in the title of the story the whole time. The thing that confuses me though is whether Kumasawa would be their ally for having mackerel, or their enemy because she has all the mackerel and not sharing.

Oh, certainly, the interpretation of the events can differ, but it's been established over and over again that the detective's perspective is absolutely accurate to what it sees. So regarding the shed, we can know for a fact that this is what is seen:

So unless 1986 makeup is a lot better than I think it is, they're dead, Jim. And the red verifies the identities of Gohda, Rosa, Kyrie, and Rudolf. Krauss and Shannon wouldn't be covered under that red, I don't think.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Cyouni posted:

Oh, certainly, the interpretation of the events can differ, but it's been established over and over again that the detective's perspective is absolutely accurate to what it sees.

This is probably what you meant, but basically it means the detective can't lie about what he sees, not that his perception is absolutely accurate. If Battler couldn't tell the difference between convincing makeup and a corpse, he wouldn't magically be able to discern it.

But like you said the red guarantees the identities of unidentified corpses and the fact that there were no body double tricks.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

tiistai posted:

This is probably what you meant, but basically it means the detective can't lie about what he sees, not that his perception is absolutely accurate. If Battler couldn't tell the difference between convincing makeup and a corpse, he wouldn't magically be able to discern it.

But like you said the red guarantees the identities of unidentified corpses and the fact that there were no body double tricks.

Yeah that's what I meant, thanks for the clarification.

bii
Apr 26, 2017

In the name of the moon, I will post incoherently.

Cyouni posted:

Really, any of Jessica, Natsuhi, or Krauss is enough to mess the whole thing up unless you're also proposing they're a co-conspirator.

Well, with the dead Kinzo thing, they're already in one conspiracy together.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Reading resurgam40's and ZiegeDame's last posts, and everything seems sensible. And maybe the mysteries were designed purely for Battler to solve or to get Battler to remember, that seems in line with what we've learned so far. But it really clashes with some stuff that's been going around in my head the last few days, that is, if we put aside witches, where does it leave us motivationally?

If we deny the reality of the framing device, and accept that there is one underlying reality, which some of us certainty want to do, doesn't Beato's reason dissolve?* This only makes sense as a motivation if the murders actually happen multiple times. If there's one set of murders, and bang everyone's dead, including Battler, there's nothing for Battler to solve. This isn't a love letter. It's just carnage. You can't solve your own murder in real life. At best it becomes a nihilistic murder suicide (unless Eva's really the killer). Real world Battler, rather than meta-Battler or piece-Battler, can't take anything from a situation where he's dead. To accept the other motivation, doesn't it mean accepting that a witch orchestrated the killings, even if they were committed by a human in every fragment? But equally, I don't have a good explanation as to why the killings took place outside of that external motivation. Revenge is ruled out "......Her goal is not to make someone experience fear. And it isn't to have revenge on someone either.", wanting to get caught is only a solution at the meta-level, sadism is ruled out "...Beato never committed murder for the sake of pleasure.". A desire to escape from their situation is possible if it is a murder-suicide. Again, cry for help is possible, but that only works up the point that everyone isn't dead. If the episode 4 ending is to imply that it's to make Battler notice them, that's twisted, but consistent. But if that's the case, what's the motivation for killing him once he doesn't remember? Unless the temporal ambiguity in "......Her goal is not to make someone experience fear. And it isn't to have revenge on someone either." allows her goal to become that after the fact, and Battler's death is a genuine crime of passion.

*At the very least, there should be a coherent reason for the murders to take place that can occur within one world. If that's impossible, a witch really did do it.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 24, 2017

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

In the one-world scenario, the first two murder sprees (the ones written on notes in bottles) were fantasies written by Beatrice for (we must now assume) Battler. The later ones were written by this mysterious web author after the fact as possible ways the Rokkenjima thing could have gone down. Beatrice-the-piece is really Beatrice-the-character-in-a-story, and so is Beatrice-the-meta-witch, so their motivations can be whatever the author ascribes to them. Of course, for this game (Umineko as a whole) to be fair, those stories must be revealing useful and interesting information to us about the characters, even when they lie. Which does leave an important question; if this scenario is correct, who in the hell is that author? If we assume there are any fragments (ha ha) of truth in the stories, the most obvious answer would be that someone else survived Rokkenjima, but who? And why wouldn't they have revealed themselves? The best candidate is probably Beatrice herself, since she'd have a very strong motivation for not wanting to reveal herself after the fact. I'm not sure, though.

In the stories, I believe her motive is that she wants Battler to figure out what's going on and stop her. It's basically a really twisted way of begging him to notice her. Note that Battler is always one of the last, and perhaps actually the last, to die. He is only killed after he fails to figure things out. In some cases she appears to kill herself out of despair before that (leaving, for instance, Eva to finish the job on Battler). All of that is perfectly consistent with the particular iteration of the murder game being a love note to him; obviously the murder games PLURAL can't be, but each one individually can serve that role.

Incidentally, I've considered how this all can still satisfy Knox's first rule, even the parts that the story doesn't bother saying in red: We've never seen the story from Sayo's point of view; seeing it from Shannon's or Kanon's doesn't count. In the stories so far, she's been the murderer, even if she isn't in reality (and if we get the story of what really happened, we probably won't see from the murderer's point of view then, either). And yet, it's hard to say that we haven't been introduced to her character, so it doesn't violate the other half of the rule either. It's a bit tricky, but I think it works.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CottonWolf posted:

*At the very least, there should be a coherent reason for the murders to take place that can occur within one world. If that's impossible, a witch really did do it.

Well if each game is just a story written in advance of the family conference, with the intent of getting Battler to read them, and there's just some sort of gas leak leading to an explosion killing everyone... It would feel really cheap and disappointing, but it'd work. Or the killings were just a means to force Battler to read the stories, and he is still alive and locked in the dungeon in Kuwadorian forced to read fan-fiction about the murder of his family until he remembers.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

My current assumption is that this is all basically just fanfiction Battler's being forced to read until he can prove he understands Beatrice. To do that, he has to acknowledge that he forgot his promise of six years ago, and remember and acknowledge who Beatrice is. The thing I can't understand is how the riddle ties into it, given that was the provided condition in the first to fourth games.

Also if the resurrection of the dead is included in Beatrice's I keep my promises, then the "true world" has to be one where nobody has died, since we're discounting magic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cyouni posted:

My current assumption is that this is all basically just fanfiction Battler's being forced to read until he can prove he understands Beatrice. To do that, he has to acknowledge that he forgot his promise of six years ago, and remember and acknowledge who Beatrice is. The thing I can't understand is how the riddle ties into it, given that was the provided condition in the first to fourth games.

Well, Battler supposedly does understand her now, and this game right now is him proving it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Cyouni posted:

Also if the resurrection of the dead is included in Beatrice's I keep my promises, then the "true world" has to be one where nobody has died, since we're discounting magic.

Kinzo made that promise, not her.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

Well, Battler supposedly does understand her now, and this game right now is him proving it.

Indeed, the whole "remember what you forgot" being the goal is something I noted as a possible goal a while back. But he still hasn't completed his proof is the point I'm trying to make.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Kinzo made that promise, not her.

True, Beatrice's letter states only that she loses her rights to the "interest", and the specific line tied to the red says "no more people shall die". However, assuming that the "interest" includes the lives of the Ushiromiyas...

quote:

When the contract ends, Beatrice will have the right to collect the gold and the interest. However, if a person who disclose the hidden gold of the contract appears, Beatrice must eternally and completely abdicate of this right …From now on, the collect of the interest will be performed but, if whoever one person among everyone can satisfy the special clause,

Everything will be returned including the part already collected.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

idonotlikepeas posted:

In the one-world scenario, the first two murder sprees (the ones written on notes in bottles) were fantasies written by Beatrice for (we must now assume) Battler. The later ones were written by this mysterious web author after the fact as possible ways the Rokkenjima thing could have gone down. Beatrice-the-piece is really Beatrice-the-character-in-a-story, and so is Beatrice-the-meta-witch, so their motivations can be whatever the author ascribes to them. Of course, for this game (Umineko as a whole) to be fair, those stories must be revealing useful and interesting information to us about the characters, even when they lie. Which does leave an important question; if this scenario is correct, who in the hell is that author? If we assume there are any fragments (ha ha) of truth in the stories, the most obvious answer would be that someone else survived Rokkenjima, but who? And why wouldn't they have revealed themselves? The best candidate is probably Beatrice herself, since she'd have a very strong motivation for not wanting to reveal herself after the fact. I'm not sure, though.

In the stories, I believe her motive is that she wants Battler to figure out what's going on and stop her. It's basically a really twisted way of begging him to notice her. Note that Battler is always one of the last, and perhaps actually the last, to die. He is only killed after he fails to figure things out. In some cases she appears to kill herself out of despair before that (leaving, for instance, Eva to finish the job on Battler). All of that is perfectly consistent with the particular iteration of the murder game being a love note to him; obviously the murder games PLURAL can't be, but each one individually can serve that role.

Incidentally, I've considered how this all can still satisfy Knox's first rule, even the parts that the story doesn't bother saying in red: We've never seen the story from Sayo's point of view; seeing it from Shannon's or Kanon's doesn't count. In the stories so far, she's been the murderer, even if she isn't in reality (and if we get the story of what really happened, we probably won't see from the murderer's point of view then, either). And yet, it's hard to say that we haven't been introduced to her character, so it doesn't violate the other half of the rule either. It's a bit tricky, but I think it works.

My issue with this is, unless ZiegeDame is right and

ZiegeDame posted:

Or the killings were just a means to force Battler to read the stories, and he is still alive and locked in the dungeon in Kuwadorian forced to read fan-fiction about the murder of his family until he remembers.

(which I appreciate the dark simplicity of), that the murders actually occurred. Ange exists in a post-Rokkenjima world. Perhaps that's the meaning of the stories, but as far as we know, Battler never got to read them. It's not much use writing a set of stories to be solved by someone who's already dead. Though the stories being distributed as a hint that Battler's still alive and a captive, would be an interesting solution. It would also allow Ange to be reunited with Battler, in a satisfying miracle occurring type of way. Though it paints Beatrice in an incredibly extra dark light, where they're a mass murderer and kidnapper. Plus Battler's got stockholm syndrome (Battler as gamemaster).

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Or Ange is more fiction from the same source as the other fake stories about the event (or even from a different source). A meta sort of story, but we have like 5 meta levels in Umineko so far so I could believe that. Has Future Ange been proved to be canon?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Qrr posted:

Or Ange is more fiction from the same source as the other fake stories about the event (or even from a different source). A meta sort of story, but we have like 5 meta levels in Umineko so far so I could believe that. Has Future Ange been proved to be canon?

And it turned out we were Battler all along, reading about Ange reading fanfiction.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Cyouni posted:

And it turned out we were Battler all along, reading about Ange reading fanfiction.

No we're all Beatrice, but I guess Battler is also Beatrice so that is still true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
There's a 100% chance that things will go to Hell before Battler can make things right with new/piece!Beatrice.

• Locked thread