Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_oplgk50nV71uvv5gh.mp4#_=_

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Hung up a bird feeder a few months ago. It's been totally unused, until last week. Now whenever I look at it there's anywhere from one bird to five all gorging on seeds.

The red ones are cute :kimchi:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

Hung up a bird feeder a few months ago. It's been totally unused, until last week. Now whenever I look at it there's anywhere from one bird to five all gorging on seeds.

The red ones are cute :kimchi:

Looks like house finches, the red guys are the males. They have fun songs

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
There are plenty of things I find exceedingly cute, but THIS. This is my kryptonite, the thing that melts me faster than anything else. Floppy puppy ears.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Tomorrow, after 11 wonderful years we will be saying goodbye to Dylan.

He is a very good boy and I cannot imagine how hard it will be without him. So please can I request anything that makes you smile, just nice things that make the world seem a tiny bit brighter.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CherryCat posted:

He is a very good boy and I cannot imagine how hard it will be without him. So please can I request anything that makes you smile, just nice things that make the world seem a tiny bit brighter.

a few days old, and a read but for you friend

https://twitter.com/Breznican/status/866861079023857664

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CherryCat posted:

I'm not crying, you're crying. loving onions.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CherryCat posted:

That's a handsome dog. Im sorry for your loss

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm sorry, CherryCat. :(

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I am slain. mon dieu!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

We got three bebe chooks two months ago. As teensy fluff nuggets they were super cute, but that changes fast. They're now teenagers but we have them trained to hop on our laps. Not 12 pounds total yet, but often ridiculous.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Has he been gaining weight? :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/Bodegacats_/status/867857339432534017

Jagged Jim has a new favorite as of 02:31 on May 26, 2017

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/2017/05/25/cincinnati-zoo-hippo-fiona/345089001/

Fiona the baby hippo now has a beer.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/baz00per/status/819008463472914432

I love cats so much you guys

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:same:

but doggos are :krad: too

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

:same:

but doggos are :krad: too

Yesss.

I used to live with a St Bernard named Murphy who was huge...and he loved to wag his tail really hard.

.....And we like to put things on this low-standing coffee table when we watch tv. Things like food. And he'd come over and be a good boy and ignore the food, but if you petted him, WHAP WHAP WHAP HOPE YOU WEREN'T HAVING SOUP

and worst of all one time he came into my computer room and wagged JUST so he could hit the reset button on my PC tower while I was working on something and... dog....I love you, but..... :negative:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

But she's underage!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My friends baby met Michael Rooker last weekend. Rooker posted it on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUZdjlAgdl-/

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

https://twitter.com/paul_haine/status/867489001443397632

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/_youhadonejob1/status/867870439267323908

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Coo-muting.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

CherryCat posted:

He clearly is a Very Good Boy indeed. One thing that comforted me when my old lady dog dies was thinking about how lucky we were to have found her in the first place, and how lucky we were to have her with us as long as we did.

These pictures make me happy; after my lovely Daisy died at the ripe old age of 15 1/2, we adoped a very frightened and traumatised little lhasa apso puppy who we called Henry.

This is Henry when he first arrived:

He was so afraid he wouldn't move or even look up for days :(

It took months and months but he's a lot happier and calmer now :)
Here is he just after a nice bath. The first thing he did once he was let out into the garden was to find a nice muddy hole and put his face in it.

He is a Good Puppy.

And this is him looking very serious and dignified:

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Thanks goons :glomp: it has been a very rough day. But Dylan was happy and very much loved and that is good.

Also Edgar hasn't left my lap since I got home. I think he knows.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
My dogs have an uncanny ability to tell when I'm sad, even when I'm not crying. Padfoot, my Lab, will walk over, sit down in front of me, and sort of lean on my legs, which a) makes me pet him and b) keeps me from getting up.

Come to think of it, he does that even when I'm not sad. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alter Ego posted:

My dogs have an uncanny ability to tell when I'm sad, even when I'm not crying. Padfoot, my Lab, will walk over, sit down in front of me, and sort of lean on my legs, which a) makes me pet him and b) keeps me from getting up.

Come to think of it, he does that even when I'm not sad. :v:

Dogs and humans understand each other, it's the best part about dogs.

Aside from all the other great parts about dogs.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Dogs and humans understand each other, it's the best part about dogs.

Aside from all the other great parts about dogs.

Best part is that if I don't start petting him within about five seconds of him doing this, he turns his head to me and kinda looks at me reproachfully.

"I don't recall asking. Get to scritching."

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Don't dogs also have some magical ability to understand human bodies as well?

I've seen service dogs for people with diabetes, which blows my mind, and have read about dogs freaking out/barking right before someone has/had a heart attack.

I maintain this is magic/sorcery and will not be persuaded otherwise :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I've seen service dogs for people with diabetes, which blows my mind, and have read about dogs freaking out/barking right before someone has/had a heart attack.

I think their sense of smell is so incredible that they can smell things completely impossible for humans to notice, which includes certain compounds produced by diseases and medical conditions.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Lean dogs best dogs. My best friend has a dog AND a cat that both lean on you for affection.

My dearly departed cat would come over and stare at me, concerned, anytime I was crying, and reach out and pat me with her little paw until I pet her. I was missing her last night and crying a little and my foster who, while we've bonded, is still really skittish, just ran away from the sudden noise.

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Dogs are incredibly good at reading body language. Things you might not notice they do. I have a Corgi who is really good at this. If I'm tense, upset at something. So is he. ( not always a good thing) Or if I'm upset he will start to make me feel better before anyone else notices.

I'm sure other senses help with detecting heart attacks and such but this is just one I deal with often.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/landpsychology/status/867812793860358144

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/joshgondelman/status/831721181770313728

Seems to be the only recourse in today's surveillance heavy society

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Eodoin posted:

Dogs are incredibly good at reading body language. Things you might not notice they do. I have a Corgi who is really good at this. If I'm tense, upset at something. So is he. ( not always a good thing) Or if I'm upset he will start to make me feel better before anyone else notices.

I'm sure other senses help with detecting heart attacks and such but this is just one I deal with often.

This is a problem with drug-sniffing dogs. They'll almost never miss drugs, but they'll give off false positives if the handler thinks there's drugs.

For example, if the handler thinks Mexicans are more likely to have drugs than non-Mexicans, their body language will indicate to the dog that there must be drugs on that person, even if the handler isn't aware that they're doing it. Because of this, false positives with Hispanics happen about three times as much as with whites. The dogs just trust humans so much that they assume the handler must know something they don't.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

My fiance just sent me this picture of Chester and Cleo (aka CleoCATra)

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Our half beagle is super sensitive to moods. If Mrs. Underbridge is mad at her laptop for any reason (sites crashing or not loading, software issues, etc), he will go over to her and give this weird smile, as if to say, "It's OK, see? I'm smiling!" The whole time he has the limp dishrag ears of unhappiness.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

JackMann posted:

This is a problem with drug-sniffing dogs. They'll almost never miss drugs, but they'll give off false positives if the handler thinks there's drugs.

For example, if the handler thinks Mexicans are more likely to have drugs than non-Mexicans, their body language will indicate to the dog that there must be drugs on that person, even if the handler isn't aware that they're doing it. Because of this, false positives with Hispanics happen about three times as much as with whites. The dogs just trust humans so much that they assume the handler must know something they don't.

Clearly, the only solution is to pair the drug dogs with robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Actually the solution is get drug sniffing pigs. They've been trialed over the years in various places but nobody's been willing to make the investment in switching their entire team over.