Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cheetah7071 posted:

I think mage Faye actually has a lot to recommend her. Physic and rescue are hard to give up but imo the thing Alm is missing most is offensive firepower, and that's what mage Faye brings to the table

How much more offensive power do you need? You already have Gray aka I Am Mercenary Base Stats with Lightning sword, Tobin and Kliff are good as mage and archer respectively, and Matilta is a wrecking ball. Clive is still good overall as well, and Luthier joins with Excaliber early in chapter 3.

If anything, you need more utility in Cleric Faye because you need constant healing and your good units can take snipe important targets more safely with Rescue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

cheetah7071 posted:

I think Sirius says some things that make more sense if you've played Gaiden but he doesn't directly expound on anything

The most I can really think of is at the end of FE12, Sirius saves Nyna from Medeus' brainwashing and then proceeds to gently caress off back to Valentia, presumably to be with Tatiana, leaving Nyna an emotional wreck who abdicates the throne, presumably to go find him, and is never seen again.

Never have a crush on ZeCamSirius.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

The most I can really think of is at the end of FE12, Sirius saves Nyna from Medeus' brainwashing and then proceeds to gently caress off back to Valentia, presumably to be with Tatiana, leaving Nyna an emotional wreck who abdicates the throne, presumably to go find him, and is never seen again.

Never have a crush on ZeCamSirius.

alternatively camus, tatiana, and nyna were having some wild threesomes in valentia

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't realize Tatiana had Invoke Peg Knights as her last spell. Almost made me want to think about bringing a third saint.

My endgame party feels like it's gonna be 90% spellcasters with one killer bow user.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tae posted:

How much more offensive power do you need? You already have Gray aka I Am Mercenary Base Stats with Lightning sword, Tobin and Kliff are good as mage and archer respectively, and Matilta is a wrecking ball. Clive is still good overall as well, and Luthier joins with Excaliber early in chapter 3.

If anything, you need more utility in Cleric Faye because you need constant healing and your good units can take snipe important targets more safely with Rescue.

I must have had two bad Mathildas in a row because I would never describe her as a wrecking ball. I've never had an archer accomplish much more than chip damage to anything but a mage--I'm really down on them to the point of actively thinking archers are bad despite the 1-5 range.

Both of the good male mage villagers are very reliant on excalibur crits to kill things I've found, as is Luthier. Faye just deletes an enemy every turn, no RNG except for spell accuracy.

Alm (once he gets double lion), Mage!Faye and Delthea are in my experience pretty unique in Alm's army for their ability to one-round enemies other than mages without relying on crit RNG

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I kinda want to make Atlas a Cav since Celica gets enough Mercs. But lots of desert maps apparently.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I kinda want to make Atlas a Cav since Celica gets enough Mercs. But lots of desert maps apparently.

I didn't end up promoting Atlas until after the Desert so if you do that it shouldn't be awful.

I made him a mage though, where he wasn't super great but he had a sorta unique use.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Atlas should either be a Mage (magic bypasses accuracy checks so his low skill doesn't really matter) or a Merc (where his skill will be increased by like 7 right off the bat)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cav won't really help him at all. He'll be super mediocre since it doesn't really boost his poor skill/speed and he already has great attack which is like the one stat it helps.

Also dragging another cav through the desert and other fun maps Celica has coming up is :shepicide:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I must have had two bad Mathildas in a row because I would never describe her as a wrecking ball. I've never had an archer accomplish much more than chip damage to anything but a mage--I'm really down on them to the point of actively thinking archers are bad despite the 1-5 range.
Mathilda is a wrecking ball just off her bases in chapter 3, and Python is fairly strong and Leon has good enough speed that he ORKOs witches and conjurers for 90% of celica's route.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Mathilda is a wrecking ball just off her bases in chapter 3

People keep saying that and I just don't see it. She 3HKOs enemies and doubles them, just like 2/3 of Alm's army. She has okay defense (which will become bad by the time you hit act 4) and good resistance but not enough to really open up new strategies

She's a solid unit but I honestly don't see her as being any more than that

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Atlas should either be a Mage (magic bypasses accuracy checks so his low skill doesn't really matter) or a Merc (where his skill will be increased by like 7 right off the bat)

I'm using him as a mage right now, and while the set accuracy is nice, speed's still a bit of an issue, so that's a thing to consider. Also, for me he's gotten three separate levels of nothing but skill, but I'm pretty sure that's not a common problem.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Mathilda is a wrecking ball just off her bases in chapter 3, and Python is fairly strong and Leon has good enough speed that he ORKOs witches and conjurers for 90% of celica's route.

Leon's great and all but conjurers have like 40 hp and decent defence and without a crit he wasn't taking them out in one combat.

Archers are great in general though because they're the only units who counter mire Arcanists and enemy archers, have great Arts and decent crit chance, and are fantastic at weakening enemies or taking out stragglers. They're super versatile.

cheetah7071 posted:

People keep saying that and I just don't see it. She 3HKOs enemies and doubles them, just like 2/3 of Alm's army. She has okay defense (which will become bad by the time you hit act 4) and good resistance but not enough to really open up new strategies

E: For me Mathilda was a very fast and strong unit with good support bonuses from Clive who compared to the other cavaliers on the route was better at killing enemies than tanking them. Not a super amazing unit but probably the best cav in the game with close competition from Conrad.

Though I guess everyone has units that just don't turn out great for them. Pegasus Knight Faye was really underperforming for me honestly.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 25, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

she's the best wielder for the ridersbane, in a chapter full of enemy cavaliers. the knights have no move and claire has no defense, and clive's just worse mathilda.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 25, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

She really needs to hit a few growths or have a decently forged weapon to be a wrecking ball tbh. She probably will because she has some of the best growths and bases in the game, and she's one of the most resilient tanks due to her combo of def+res, but you need to feed her levels before she really comes online.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Mage!Atlas using Sagittae never has to worry about doubling unless I screwed up badly

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Argent Cinereus posted:

I'm using him as a mage right now, and while the set accuracy is nice, speed's still a bit of an issue, so that's a thing to consider. Also, for me he's gotten three separate levels of nothing but skill, but I'm pretty sure that's not a common problem.

i made him a mage and he still has like 4 skill at level 10

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mages don't use skill

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

mages don't use skill

They still get crit from it though right? Otherwise I have no idea what Luthier's purpose is supposed to be.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i wasn't complaining about it, reiterating that it didn't matter

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They still get crit from it though right? Otherwise I have no idea what Luthier's purpose is supposed to be.

Being my only mage

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Being my only mage

We all make mistakes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lutiers purpose is to keep the bench warm

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So for the Villager's Fork, who do you guys think would theoretically benefit most?

My money is probably on Valbar/Forscyth/Lukas. Making one of them into a Merc would be insane since they all have good str/def growth as it is. And they would be a better tank overall.

I haven't looked too much into spell lists, but do any non-villager/mages get any intersting spells you otherwise can't access?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

So the villager fork pretty much means reclassing is back in a roundabout way. I know for sure I want to get Lukas to Baron then have him go down the mercenary line. Any other good users?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

So the villager fork pretty much means reclassing is back in a roundabout way. I know for sure I want to get Lukas to Baron then have him go down the mercenary line. Any other good users?

Just don't use it on anyone actually in the merc line. Level 10 Dread Fighters can already promote back to villager for some reason.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Just don't use it on anyone actually in the merc line. Level 10 Dread Fighters can already promote back to villager for some reason.

They can do it because they could in Gaiden

They could in Gaiden because it's Gaiden

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I made him an archer and have not regretted it. Celica gets 3 peg-knights for mobility, and she'll have a cav join later on anyway. A second archer is very useful for her.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To confirm though, yeah, they do get crit from skill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

making mae a peg helps celica out a lot. jesse and saber have extremely early excalibur and seraphim, respectively, as mages.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

making mae a peg helps celica out a lot. jesse and saber have extremely early excalibur and seraphim, respectively, as mages.

Kinda sucks most characters don't get unique spell lists on Alm's side.

I kinda wanted to make Clive a mage, but Fire/Thunder/Recover is just :negative:

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I just got Saber/Jesse's A support...I really hope that they get a paired ending where they start Outer Heaven.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Reflecting on it I think the problem I had with Alm/Celica being OTP is that I just feel bad for Faye, this game's Cordelia. :(

SweaterGear posted:

I just got Saber/Jesse's A support...I really hope that they get a paired ending where they start Outer Heaven.

Sadly, there's no paired endings.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 26, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

Sadly, there's no paired endings.

But there are pairs of endings that refer to each other.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If anything it's more like you always get the paired endings.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

Reflecting on it I think the problem I had with Alm/Celica being OTP is that I just feel bad for Faye, this game's Cordelia. :(

This game also has Clair, Palla, Catria, Leon and Grey as this game's Cordelia :v:

There ia a lot of unrequited love going around here.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

This game also has Clair, Palla, Catria, Leon and Grey as this game's Cordelia :v:

There ia a lot of unrequited love going around here.

Gray's is requited. Tobin's probably the better example.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Gray's is requited. Tobin's probably the better example.

Yeah, I meant to type Tobin there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clair and Gray got married in my ending. Even delthea got hitched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh yeah, Delthea's got an unrequited love too.

Lots of love in this game basically.

• Locked thread