Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Raxivace posted:

Nah I got to the time powers. I played about an hour of the game total and didn't really get into it.

That was bad typo on my part, but the opening of Life is Strange has the main character looking at this lighthouse, and it's very clear from the visuals alone that this is where the game wants you to go. They start throwing these unnecessary lines from the character into this scene though, something redundant like "HMM I SHOULD GO TO THIS LIGHTHOUSE I THINK". When they throw in the Hitchcock reference in the scene right after, when the guy's entire aesthetic philosophy revolved around removing unnecessary dialogue and letting visuals speak for themselves to the point he gave a famous book length interview about this it just made the opening of the game rub me the wrong way and kind of soured me on it right from the beginning.

ah, cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

The FGC is very welcoming and nice

I disagree, but it's possible that I've just had bad interactions with people involved in the FGC.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I finished Act I of Vanquish.

It seems all right, I guess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Training posted:

The FGC is very welcoming and nice

No it's not.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

I disagree, but it's possible that I've just had bad interactions with people involved in the FGC.

And I suppose it's possible I've only had good ones. No truth is absolute

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I remember I tried playing Life is Strange once but when the photography teacher talking about Hitchcock right after that opening sequence that have had the man rolling in his grave I just couldn't get into it.

Let me just say that I thought this guy was dumb too and I had a similar reaction to yours and the game pays it off

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

""there are no truths, only interpretations" - nietzche" - kojima

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow Vanquish just starts, doesn't it :stare:

Hell yes post more Vanquish impressions.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

suuma posted:

Personally I'm looking forward to playing FC5 and shooting all of the white people because the last 15 years of 'realistic' FPS' have been an assortment of not-white people.

e: I say this as a white people

i mean

they haven't been? but ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBL_dCxjocg

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hell yes post more Vanquish impressions.

My impression of Vanquish right now is that it's taking too long to download. The file sizes are like 80% video too which is a bummer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am still trying to figure out what is supposed to make Vanquish "pop" compared to other third-person shooters? Is just just the boost and the cigarettes?

Everyone says that playing it like a cover shooter is bad but it really does feel like the most effective strategy is to post up behind cover at medium range and then click heads, even more so on M&KB. If I try to get in close, I'm out of cover and get murked by four turrets from different angles, or I get hit into AR which drains my boost, and it seems pointless to melee when that kills one enemy and drains my boost. Do I get invincibility frames from dodging? It doesn't seem like that would be a big help though when you're being sprayed at from five different directions

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
my contribution to the bloodborne/nioh comparison bitchfest:

the title for our local nioh thread is literally bushido souls 4

checkmate, athiests

E: ah poo poo I got my threads mixed up, it appears it is I who has been checkmate'd by himself

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Raxivace posted:

Nah I got to the time powers. I played about an hour of the game total and didn't really get into it.

That was bad typo on my part, but the opening of Life is Strange has the main character looking at this lighthouse, and it's very clear from the visuals alone that this is where the game wants you to go. They start throwing these unnecessary lines from the character into this scene though, something redundant like "HMM I SHOULD GO TO THIS LIGHTHOUSE I THINK". When they throw in the Hitchcock reference in the scene right after, when the guy's entire aesthetic philosophy revolved around removing unnecessary dialogue and letting visuals speak for themselves to the point he gave a famous book length interview about this it just made the opening of the game rub me the wrong way and kind of soured me on it right from the beginning.

are you sure you weren't just watching shutter island

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This is a good article about Vanquish. It's no one thing but everything combines in an interesting way.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

And I suppose it's possible I've only had good ones. No truth is absolute

There are two absolute truths

^^ that one and vv this one

Video games are good

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FirstAidKite posted:

Video games are good

You forgot one

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why's Sonic on there anyway? Besides some abstract idea of irony

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am still trying to figure out what is supposed to make Vanquish "pop" compared to other third-person shooters? Is just just the boost and the cigarettes?

Everyone says that playing it like a cover shooter is bad but it really does feel like the most effective strategy is to post up behind cover at medium range and then click heads, even more so on M&KB. If I try to get in close, I'm out of cover and get murked by four turrets from different angles, or I get hit into AR which drains my boost, and it seems pointless to melee when that kills one enemy and drains my boost. Do I get invincibility frames from dodging? It doesn't seem like that would be a big help though when you're being sprayed at from five different directions

I only use cover to recharge time power if I juice too much. Otherwise I'm just constantly sliding and dodging to pop the slow mo powers. Also I guess I played half the game already today oops

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

are you sure you weren't just watching shutter island
I'm not a huge fan of Shutter Island but having rewatched it recently its better than I remembered at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

Why's Sonic on there anyway? Besides some abstract idea of irony

Sonic teaches many important lessons to children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuXOkGvZNaI

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All I can remember about Shutter Island is that the music is so incredibly LOUD and DRAMATIC all the time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Jaleel White will always be the one true Sonic

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The one bad thing I'll say about Vanquish on PC is that the QTEs where you were supposed to spin the left stick don't really make any visual sense (theres just a flashing A button in a circle) and I failed a few before I figured out what it was asking me to do.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone says that playing it like a cover shooter is bad but it really does feel like the most effective strategy is to post up behind cover at medium range and then click heads, even more so on M&KB.

Rocket boost toward an enemy behind cover and do a melee attack right before you hit the cover. GET READY FOR A SURPRISE. Make sure you hold down the aim key, heh.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

All I can remember about Shutter Island is that the music is so incredibly LOUD and DRAMATIC all the time.
I will say the costuming, set design etc. in Shutter Island is legit great and its fun to look at when I'm not thinking about the obvious twist and whether I think it was cliche by time the movie came out or acceptable enough as is I guess

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, I thought Shutter Island was pretty, but the story was real dumb. Not like, that the plot was dumb, but it was presented in a way that felt like it was climbing up it's own rear end to tell us how deep and tragic it was, which totally fell flat for me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
As far as movies with dumb plots go, I've been thinking about "Stranger Than Fiction" lately. I dunno why, I only ever saw it once, but it really stuck with me just how...arbitrary and contrived the plot became when it tried to turn into a...idk, a drama or whatever it was trying to do towards the end. Like, c'mon.

For those who don't know, Stranger Than Fiction is a movie about Will Ferrell playing some guy when suddenly he finds that his entire life is being narrated by some omniscient voice that only he can hear, and whatever the voice says ends up being exactly what happens. The voice starts getting him into romantic situations and he's confused and he tries to figure out what exactly is going on. Then the movie turns into this weird thing where it turns out that the voice he is hearing is of some popular author who writes well-received books about people who go from boring lives to suddenly experiencing joy and meaning in their lives before suddenly being killed in some form of tragic accident. The author didn't even know that this was happening to Will Ferrell's character so when he confronts her and convinces her that everything she writes has been exactly what happens to him in real life and that he hears her voice when she types, she has this crisis where she wonders if any of the other people she wrote about were real or not. The main conflict of the movie becomes Will Ferrell's character, finally achieving some kind of happiness through romance, having to deal with the fact that the author plans to write the same ending she usually does, killing off Will. She lets Will read the manuscript before it gets published and the manuscript gets shared with people and it turns into this weird thing where they're like "man...this is a really good book with a really good ending" as if it would EVER be reasonable to kill an innocent man through the publication of a book rather than just....not writing that he dies or not publishing the book or doing literally anything else that doesn't involve killing a random innocent guy and having the cast just talk about how it's ok, he's ok with it because it is a good book.

It's stupid as hell and it will always bother me

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I love that movie. It's so good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Video games are good

You forgot

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FirstAidKite posted:

It's stupid as hell and it will always bother me

The movie agrees, which is why that doesn't happen.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The movie agrees, which is why that doesn't happen.

It doesn't agree until the last possible moment though. Up until that point they keep trying to play it off as Well, I mean, it's a really good ending y'know? And then her book gets criticized for not having as good of an ending as previous books because she chose to not kill him.

Like, I'm glad there are people that can enjoy the film but goddamn it really bugged me just how forced the conflict felt.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's deliberately forced because it's not trying to be realist (in the critical sense). Fiction that plays with the fourth wall often does so to distance you from the characters and get you thinking about specific concepts or themes in a more detached manner, because if one character is self-consciously fictional, it's barely a leap to remember and focus on the fictional nature of the whole enterprise.

In that film's case, the theme that's on the table is the idea of what makes a life (or a death) "meaningful", and if that is a moral good. The use of literature as this highly self-conscious device allows for you to analyze the situation in ways that would be different if it used, say, a more "normalized" framework such as a religious one. If you think the conclusions that some of the characters in the film come to are absurd, hopefully that has given you some better insight on your own perspective on the world

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, sounds like the original Prey 2 would have had a neat little plot twist.

Basically every time you die and respawn at your safehouse, you're actually an unwitting clone of the main character, not the same dude brought back to life. Somehow it relates to the protag from the first Prey, not sure how. The game ends with you escaping back to earth, settling down, growing old and passing away peacefully. Then you "spawn" again in that same safehouse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm watching this and good stuff, as usual. How is The Surge? It came out then I haven't heard much of anything about it but I haven't actively looked for anything about it. Usually if a game is good I'll eventually hear about it somewhere in Games, like Prey. I went from it barely registering on my radar to instant buy after seeing people gushing about it. Was not disappointed either.

It's amazing. Improves upon Lords of the Fallen in basically every way and the combat is very fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like if she was a writing a health care law instead of a fiction novel, it would just be unrealistically positive for her to change it to benefit a good man.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
But they chose to have her be writing a fiction novel.

It just rubs me the wrong way that it takes the movie up until the end for the obvious decision to be made. It was like if the movie was trying to do the train and lever scenario, except on one of the tracks it's just a manuscript for a book and they were treating it the same up until the last moment.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lakbay posted:

I caught a cold and signed up for best buy's gamer club thing that's similar to amazon prime's 20% off preorders and pre-ordered spla2n

about to pull the trigger on ff12 zodiac age

FYI, unlike Amazon's thing which only gives you a discount for like the first week games are out, the definition of "new" for GCU is "not used" so it works on pretty much any physical game in-store / online no matter how long ago it came out, as well as accessories like Amiibos if you're into that kinda thing.
Doesn't work for any digital stuff or shop cards, but I don't think Amazon's does either.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 25, 2017

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

The last time I heard about this was back in... 2010ish? Paul Anderson was the director back then. (I guess the advent of steaming services finally allowed them to find a distributor.) Seriously, my first reaction when I saw this was "wait, they finished it?"

Based on the press release and the mention that it's going to "break through propaganda" or some poo poo like that, the fact that Warren Ellis is still credited as the script writer, and the time it was wriiten, I'm expecting a lot of "erotically violent" digs at Twilight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The trailer should have been a blank screen since they didn't push the cartridge down.

Also I would need to hear Vampire Killer or Bloody Tears to know that it is actually Castlevania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's deliberately forced because it's not trying to be realist (in the critical sense). Fiction that plays with the fourth wall often does so to distance you from the characters and get you thinking about specific concepts or themes in a more detached manner, because if one character is self-consciously fictional, it's barely a leap to remember and focus on the fictional nature of the whole enterprise.

In that film's case, the theme that's on the table is the idea of what makes a life (or a death) "meaningful", and if that is a moral good. The use of literature as this highly self-conscious device allows for you to analyze the situation in ways that would be different if it used, say, a more "normalized" framework such as a religious one. If you think the conclusions that some of the characters in the film come to are absurd, hopefully that has given you some better insight on your own perspective on the world

I hated that movie too, mostly because I can't buy the premise of "wow, this is the specialest, greatest, emotional, most amazing story ever written, and it's all because this guy dies!" based on a bunch of tell-don't-show and no deeper explanation.

• Locked thread