Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

phasmid posted:

Re: Jetpacks. Giants: Citizen Kabuto did jetpacks right for a fun team shooter (with a little base-building thrown in). They had enough fuel that you could hurt yourself if you didn't time your jumps but you could also get a great lay of the land and wreak havoc on ground forces. I don't know why that game didn't get much love. I remember having great fun at it.

vv oh, yeah. Duke, too.

Just remembering that game is like a fever dream. Also now that I think about it, one of the only mainstream titles ever released with casual nudity (although I think the US version was censored?)

Gaming is more or less on a curve of "getting better" but I miss really off the wall games by bigger devs. The same people did Messiah and Sacrifice, both really strange but pretty cool games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

in-game achievements should unlock hidden costumes or cheats like invincibility or unlimited ammo instead of solely being used for bragging rights, and i'm shocked that this hasn't occurred to any developer yet
All modern Ubisoft games have certain achievements that give you funbux that carries over between games and can't be bought. The first thing I did in Far Cry 4 was buy a big fuckoff revolver with a scope and it broke the earlier parts in glorious ways.

While Uplay sucks balls otherwise this was a cool thing to implement.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

WatermelonGun posted:

Agreed on almost all counts except MGS 4 is so very unfun to play and doesn't have FISSION MAILED so Sons of Liberty reigns supreme.

MGS 2 is absolutely the best and Raiden really was a halfway decent protag

Jeza posted:

Just remembering that game is like a fever dream. Also now that I think about it, one of the only mainstream titles ever released with casual nudity (although I think the US version was censored?)

Gaming is more or less on a curve of "getting better" but I miss really off the wall games by bigger devs. The same people did Messiah and Sacrifice, both really strange but pretty cool games.

The sea witch/nymph or whatever, one of the three playable characters, was topless everywhere else but the US release.

I think it was Shiny that were the devs? They made great stuff, and let's not overlook the fact that MDK2 was way better than the first

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 22, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MDK was a great great game

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope this isn't a bridge too far for this thread but I actually really enjoyed Sonic Heroes and thought it was much better than Adventuer 1/2

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
A bamboo shoot in the urethra would be better than sonic adventure

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The best Sonic game is Shadow the Hedgehog

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jetpacks are one of the worst gameplay mechanics ever added to games. They really have no place in games outside of platformers or games based around mobility. They pop up in multiplayer games that don't need them, ruining the balance because the maps are not based around the use of jetpacks but everyone wants to be Boba Fett so they zip around like assholes getting shot out of the sky achieving nothing.

What are you on about, child? Tribes was the best FPS ever made.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Gamecube controller was "gayer" than the N64 controller

In fact, everything about the Gamecube was terrible

dk2m
May 6, 2009
metal gear solid 5 was a terrible game. managing a base with people, the loving stupid parachute thing, the retarded episodic format, the setting was just boring as poo poo, the god awful open world nature. i never beat it because by the 20th time i saw HIDEO KOJIMA i realized i was just getting punked by this japanese fuckboy

mgs3 subsistence was peak mgs

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Games that are too addictive (games like Hots, or mine craft for the kids) are really bad for society

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

The class MGS style gameplay with the clunky fixed camera runaround/click to go to first person was way more fun to me than the later over-the-shoulder shooter stuff :shrug:

MGS5 was such a massive let down and a slog I didn't even finish it. I got somewhere around the part where the supposed antagonist just fuckin dies and checked out because nothing about the game was interesting or fun.

MGS4 was fun though and I liked that enough to do the Big Boss rank challenge or w/e

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

a bone to pick posted:

The best Sonic game is Shadow the Hedgehog

shadow the hedgehog was actually genuinely really really good other than the plot, and if you are playing sonic games for the plot you're probably too dumb to realize that the plot is bad in the first place

the dangan ronpa games are powerfully, painfully stupid and it is really bizarre to me how a third tier visual novel where the big reveal is haha the world has been destroyed for over a year and you lost your memories because of magic science and the girl that died instantly was secretly the villain because of ~~reasons~~ got as immensely popular as it did

the actual murder-solving bits are really cool and the trial minigames are fun ways to deal with the accusations and stuff but the overarching plot is so bad i think i got brain damage from it

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

My unpopular opinion is that I don't give a poo poo about the PS4 except that it had bloodborne

food court bailiff posted:

but the overarching plot is so bad i think i got brain damage from it

Isn't that every Japanese game though

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

My unpopular opinion is that I don't give a poo poo about the PS4 except that it had bloodborne

Isn't that every Japanese game though

no there's like four good ones, like, y'know, bloodborne has a pretty cool plot, and i think between the five of them there's probably a good plot in the MGS series somewhere

but dangan ronpa's plot is really worse than most japanese anime stuff by far, it's like they kept adding all these little mysteries as the game went on and then realized "oh poo poo we forgot to put answers to any of this in" at the end, writing a total rear end-pull of a plot about literal evil robot teddy bears taking over the planet under the control of a teen girl fashion model...in a murder high school mystery story. its really no wonder that the forums are so much worse now, after we got such a huge influx of nerds from that game's LP

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Huh I didn't know that "Metal Gear: Phantom Pain is really good" was an unpopular opinion. But there is mine, apparently!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jesus Christ posted:

What are you on about, child? Tribes was the best FPS ever made.

Tribes is good because like Titan fall, mobility is the core gameplay feature and the jetpack enhances that. Games that just slap jetpacks in for no reason or attention to design philosophy are bad

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Chomp8645 posted:

Huh I didn't know that "Metal Gear: Phantom Pain is really good" was an unpopular opinion. But there is mine, apparently!

Welcome, friend

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

uh i don't think anyone said that it wasn't really good, did they?

it was really good

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The criticism of Spec Ops: The Line could be quite snowflakey. Players are so used to automatically identifying with the player character that they cannot see value in playing someone with critical moral failing.

They never minded when a game railroads them to a happy ending. But take them somewhere dark and ambiguous, and then you've hurt their feelings, and it's all the game developer's fault.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

uh i don't think anyone said that it wasn't really good, did they?

it was really good

There are two posts on this very page calling it a "terrible game" and a "huge letdown".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

There are two posts on this very page calling it a "terrible game" and a "huge letdown".

huh i missed those and thought you were talking about my post re: japanese game plots, carry on

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

visual novels are for moral degenerates and anyone who plays them regularly should be forcibly sterilized

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You don't have to sterilize people who are just masturbating all day.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Caufman posted:

You don't have to sterilize people who are just masturbating all day.
it would eliminate the market for VNs so that they don't make them anymore

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

huh i missed those and thought you were talking about my post re: japanese game plots, carry on

Oh I actually agree with you on that.

I love Phantom Pain for the game play. It's a kickin rad action/stealth game and from the minute it set me loose in Afghanistan I loved it. The hands off approach is SUPER satisfying in the age of hand holding, all the tools are awesome, it's just good poo poo.

But a lot of the major plot stuff was AAAASSSSSSSSSS. I hated the Skulls every time they popped up, the villain was absurd, the entire opening level was something out of a terrible anime...

The core cast I liked (Boss, Miller, Ocelot), and I liked Mother Base and everything associated with it (especially FOB raiding!). But the anime plot plots and some of the supporting characters were cringe worthy, I agree. I found the game to be best when just roaming for side quests, doing missions that were NOT critical to the plot, or doing a little bit of base management/FOB raiding.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've played every MGS game except 4, I never finished MGSV because its complete trash from every angle

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Skull face is great. He wants to make the english drat language extinct

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jeza posted:

Yeah. A younger me patched that because more boobs = better. I know some of the people involved went on to make Armed & Dangerous for Lucasarts (which was an okay game imo) but I didn't know they were involved in anything else recognizable. Maybe I'll try out those other two you mentioned.

On a side note I want to double down here and say that, after consideration, Giants was probably one of the best team combat games ever. Cartoonish but with great physics and really inventive wildcards.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

phasmid posted:

Yeah. A younger me patched that because more boobs = better. I know some of the people involved went on to make Armed & Dangerous for Lucasarts (which was an okay game imo) but I didn't know they were involved in anything else recognizable. Maybe I'll try out those other two you mentioned.

On a side note I want to double down here and say that, after consideration, Giants was probably one of the best team combat games ever. Cartoonish but with great physics and really inventive wildcards.

I highly recommend seeking out Sacrifice. It was a criminally underrated game (although received well critically iirc) at the time and failed to sell. But it was pretty pioneering in terms of aesthetics, gameplay and design, as well as graphically (for 2000). Even since then there's never really been a game like it that I can think of, especially with how the campaign narrative is played out. Also it has Tim Curry in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1AFOkCcW6U

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Complaining about MGS5 having anime-like plots, dumb villains and absurd stupidity is like complaining about swimming because you don't want to get wet. The game itself is a fine action/stealth game that is open-ended enough that you feel a sense of accomplishment when you infiltrate that big loving base. But unless you recognize the plot as being a satire of the grim-n-gritty, tacticool, REAL modern warfare genre you will become autistic.

That said, the base building of MGS5 was dumb and stupid and unnecessary.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

MGSV is the best Metal Gear game, closely followed by Rising Revengence, Acid 2, MGS 3, MGS 4, MGS 2, and MGS.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Justin Godscock posted:

Complaining about MGS5 having anime-like plots, dumb villains and absurd stupidity is like complaining about swimming because you don't want to get wet.

I don't pay attention to videogame plots, my problem with MGSV is the GRINDING. Also all this extra bullshit like the teammates, the base, crafting items (worst videogame fad that has gone mainstream since microtransactions), the parachute thing etc. It permeates through the entire game.

The actual controls and gameplay are fine, but the extra bullshit plus replaying the same areas over and over again is monotonous and boring.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jeza posted:

I highly recommend seeking out Sacrifice. It was a criminally underrated game (although received well critically iirc) at the time and failed to sell. But it was pretty pioneering in terms of aesthetics, gameplay and design, as well as graphically (for 2000). Even since then there's never really been a game like it that I can think of, especially with how the campaign narrative is played out. Also it has Tim Curry in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1AFOkCcW6U

There is or was a verison available on Steam.

I recommend Sacrifice too. It's not an easy game but it's really fun and unique.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

But unless you recognize the plot as being a satire of the grim-n-gritty, tacticool, REAL modern warfare genre you will become autistic.

here's a hot take: most gamers are like, incapable of recognizing even the most blatant satire. like far cry 3 is the least subtle game i've ever seen and yet so many people are like "uh this white dude sure is killing a lot of poor people..." like it's not intentionally hosed up

mgsv was really the same way, it was like so much of it was straight-up designed to troll both the kind of people that buy it for the tacticool aesthetic and the kind of people that memorize every tiny detail of plot from the series. i mean it was an mgs game with a mandatory - yet completely useless - character creator, an "iDroid" holographic smartphone in the 80's, and F2P-esque cooldown timers on so much Mother Base stuff, and yet you had a bunch of people frothing at the mouth about a bunch of stuff without having any idea that its taking the piss

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Bloodborne is a bad and gay unfun game

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Bad Llama posted:

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Bloodborne is a bad and gay unfun game

Yeah along with Dark Souls and anything made by Platinum Games

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

video games peaked on the PC during the period of pixel and voxel isometric rpgs and RTS games. This period died with the release of warcraft 3, a lovely terrible loving game that birthed the mods and culture that would render the RTS genre to a bunch of lovely dota clones, tower defense games, and the kind of trash like Dawn Of War 2 and CoH 2 that tryhards worship and nobody else, and with knights of the old republic, replacing cool isometric RPGs with lovely 3D third person bioware trash and its imitators.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

video games peaked on the PC during the period of pixel and voxel isometric rpgs and RTS games. This period died with the release of warcraft 3, a lovely terrible loving game that birthed the mods and culture that would render the RTS genre to a bunch of lovely dota clones, tower defense games, and the kind of trash like Dawn Of War 2 and CoH 2 that tryhards worship and nobody else, and with knights of the old republic, replacing cool isometric RPGs with lovely 3D third person bioware trash and its imitators.

This is all true but I have a sentimental attachment to War 3 that is just overpowering. I was expecting more out of CoH2, since the first one had a lot of unrealized promise. No such luck.

Bioware is poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I just reinstalled fallout 4