Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Burning_Monk posted:

So loving glad I got out of that shitholler.

For shits and giggles look at Bagdad Kentucky. First you think, wow, they named it after the city in Iraq? Right? They have London, Versailles, and Paris as cities in the state after all. Nope, it's far more dumb...

For some reason I always find these dumb stories about how little towns get their names super endearing. Except for the part where it's probably apocryphal so they're just making fun of folks with speech impediments. Other than that, a cute story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Poe's Law or No's Law, there's no shame in getting got by a gag.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

RandomBlue posted:

What? Plenty of people had cable in 1993. We're not talking about the 70's or early 80's and there were 24 hour news networks. The only major thing lacking was easy access to the Internet. It was either 1993 or 1994 when The Simpsons first mentioned the Internet on TV and 94/95 is when it really started taking off for home use.

CNN was around in 1993 and covered Waco as it happened. You can find footage on YouTube.

Surprisingly, there's only short little clips of OKC in YouTube, mainly from local news stations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Anecdotally, but Montana fiancee reports that she heard from a fair few people at work today that they hadn't intended to vote, but were now going to do so in order to try and ensure Greg doesn't win. She's in Bozeman so it's a liberal stronghold anyway, but given that Dems usually use because of GOTV failures, could be something? Depends on how the early voting has gone though.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Sublimer posted:

As a Kentuckian this really struck a chord with me.

Time for Donald Trump to close, sell or restructure Kentucky

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/05/25/donald-trump-should-close-sell-states-like-kentucky-column/101989780/

At first, I was mad but then again I kind of agree with him on certain points.

Well this is certainly true. McConnell and Rand Paul are really lovely.

I've been thinking about who I would want Trump to sell Kentucky to and I think I've decided on Ali Baba. A Chinese company with an Arabic name would really piss everyone in this state off.

Sell Kentucky and, at the same time, grant statehood to Puerto Rico, that way all the flags can keep fifty stars! :downs:

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Erebus posted:

Don't worry, everyone will fall back on the classic "I could believe it so it might as well be real"

Yeah, Trump is known for his thick skin, general intelligence and unwillingness to sue people.

I still can't believe we have President Pussygrab and somehow that's real.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Burning_Monk posted:

So loving glad I got out of that shitholler.

For shits and giggles look at Bagdad [sic] Kentucky. First you think, wow, they named it after the city in Iraq? Right? They have London, Versailles, and Paris as cities in the state after all. Nope, it's far more dumb...

Fun fact: our town was named by three different whiskey-addicted dimwits with disabling speech impediments.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Starmaker posted:

Sell Kentucky and, at the same time, grant statehood to Puerto Rico, that way all the flags can keep fifty stars! :downs:

Who would buy Kentucky? Unless it is one of those companies who buys failing companies, liquidates them, and fucks over their investors.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Dmitri-9 posted:

Fun fact: our town was named by three different whiskey-addicted dimwits with disabling speech impediments.

Waddy, Kentucky?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/867863928424075264

The lawyer who 'sent' it says he has no idea what the deal is.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
GOP stands with Gianforte

I don't have any words.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 25, 2017

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BarbarianElephant posted:

If you are waiting for a saint, you are going to wait a good long while. It seems to be becoming the truth that zero political record is an advantage in a politician, for the same reason that people get more excited about vaporware Kickstarter projects than finished games.

That "zero political record" thing might be a little bit less of a selling point in the next couple of elections. At least among Dems.

Prophecy0 posted:

Hahaha good luck telling Americans they can no longer buy VW, Audi, Porsche, BMW, etc.

LMAO

Probably not just the 'native German' brands, but the brands they own too, namely Bentley, Rolls Royce, and Lamborghini.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

vvvvv No worries mate just trying to help :)

hanales fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 25, 2017

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Mister Adequate posted:

Anecdotally, but Montana fiancee reports that she heard from a fair few people at work today that they hadn't intended to vote, but were now going to do so in order to try and ensure Greg doesn't win. She's in Bozeman so it's a liberal stronghold anyway, but given that Dems usually use because of GOTV failures, could be something? Depends on how the early voting has gone though.

Did they chime in on whether Ohio is on the east coast? :haw:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If the Supreme Court decides to hear the appeal on the muslim ban, do we have any idea how long it'll take for them to reach a ruling? Like, do we think that happens this year?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Teddybear posted:

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/867863928424075264

The lawyer who 'sent' it says he has no idea what the deal is.

It's a joke. Normally the second to last sentence would be a dead giveaway but because it is Donald Trump we're dealing with everyone assumed it was legit.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ballz posted:

It's a joke. Normally the second to last sentence would be a dead giveaway but because it is Donald Trump we're dealing with everyone assumed it was legit.

Comedy is dead.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

hanales posted:

That's quite the link there buddy.

code:
[url=Republicans rebuke but stand by Montana GOP candidate charged with assault]GOP stands with Gianforte[/url]

Sorry, I was really upset and didn't preview like I usually do. Link should be fixed now.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Spiritus Nox posted:

If the Supreme Court decides to hear the appeal on the muslim ban, do we have any idea how long it'll take for them to reach a ruling? Like, do we think that happens this year?
Isn't that two (at least...) circuits that have ruled against it? I don't know why the SC would grant petition, there's no split between circuit decisions.

I mean, it wouldn't STOP them but it would be unusual.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ImpAtom posted:

It is remarkable how Trump seems to think everyone in the world has no memory.

republicans_2017.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7XG5Xzh-EI&t=24s

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

hanales posted:

That's quite the link there buddy.

code:
[url=Republicans rebuke but stand by Montana GOP candidate charged with assault]GOP stands with Gianforte[/url]

"We were deeply troubled by his actions, but let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
*Turns around and starts throwing stones at Hillary*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lol nothing matters. The countdown to a congressional correspondent getting punched out live on CNN by a Republican Rep or Senator has officially begun.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I hate using the old cliche, but that letter was obviously photoshopped because I could tell by the pixels.
Like, there are so many red flags on that pic if you've ever used an editing program before.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Anyone surprised that the GOP is still backing The Slam King Of Montana has obviously not been paying attention.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Isn't that two (at least...) circuits that have ruled against it? I don't know why the SC would grant petition, there's no split between circuit decisions.

I don't think it would necessarily be unusual. Circuit splits just force the Court's hand, to an extent. Cases end up before SC without circuit splits all the time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

remusclaw posted:

Comedy is dead.

On the contrary, comedy is now universal and egalitarian, the people have seized the means of comedy production :ussr:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

if you thought the kasowitz letter was real, you should probably take a step back and re-evaluate your decisions in life

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Flesh Forge posted:

On the contrary, comedy is now universal and egalitarian, the people have seized the means of comedy production :ussr:

the orb has cast its light upon us.

we are the joke.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Chard posted:

Anyone surprised that the GOP is still backing The Slam King Of Montana has obviously not been paying attention.

It'll keep happening till the GOP actually loses a race somewhere

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The Glumslinger posted:

"We were deeply troubled by his actions, but let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
*Turns around and starts throwing stones at Hillary*

Gianforte punched one journalist. Killary has killed dozens of people. Not really comparable, huh?

(Sarcasm)

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

if you thought the kasowitz letter was real, you should probably take a step back and re-evaluate your decisions in life

if you decide that this dumb letter is the thing that makes you take a step back and re-evaluate your decisions in life, you should probably take a step back and re-evaluate your decisions in life.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

skylined! posted:

if you decide that this dumb letter is the thing that makes you take a step back and re-evaluate your decisions in life, you should probably take a step back and re-evaluate your decisions in life.

SEE YOU IN COURT

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Imagine four posters on the edge of a cliff. One steps backwards to re-evaluate his decisions in life...

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Pretty cool that, someday in the maybe not so far future, a female journalist will be raped and killed by a Republican congressman, have it caught on audio/film, and then we'll all read how deeply troubled everyone is by it alongside thought pieces about how it was her own fault for dressing that way and asking those questions

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Spun Dog posted:

SEE YOU IN COURT

HIS NAME WAS SETH RICH

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Tatsuta Age posted:

Pretty cool that, someday in the maybe not so far future, a female journalist will be raped and killed by a Republican congressman, have it caught on audio/film, and then we'll all read how deeply troubled everyone is by it alongside thought pieces about how it was her own fault for dressing that way and asking those questions

Note that I don't actually think this will be cool

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

If you like you doctor, you can gently caress yourself.

If you ask questions about your healthcare, we will literally try to hurt you.

The 2018 commercials are going to be brutal.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Republicans are signaling to each other - electorate and elected officials - that they're all ok with violence. That's literally what's happening. I expect there to be a lot more and it will get a lot worse and this will be the tipping point where it starts.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

When the supreme court sees a ruling that is important and in their opinion very wrong, they will grab it.

The circuit split thing only becomes more relevant on less-important decisions. When a circuit court makes a ruling that is sorta meaningful, the supreme court might not bother taking it up even if they disagree, and thats when conflicting circuits might eventually force them to say "well that circuit split is sorta important, ok lets clear that up since we still have room on the calendar."

Sometimes circuit courts will make conflicting rulings on something very unimportant, but the supreme court is so busy they will often go "whatever, that mildly affects like 3 people a year, we're fine with the law meaning something different in those circuits"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Tatsuta Age posted:

It's just an alpha male thing.

• Locked thread