Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A Labour victory being defined of course as Corbyn winning the election *in the pissflaps voice* and then stepping down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

TWO PISSFLAPS :stare:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

SteelMentor posted:

I can't loving parse this :psyduck:

Like, sure there's the risk that polling well will make idiots overconfident and not vote in the belief everything's done and dusted, but this is some incoherent bullshit.

It's this idea that keeps being pushed that Corbyn is so hated by the "mainstream" labour supporters that they will only vote Labour if they thought that he couldn't win. It was a stupid narrative to begin with, but when his unfavourables were so bad if you squinted you could see some sort of dumb logic to it, now with his favourables being not far removed from May it seems completely stupid.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

I can't loving parse this :psyduck:

Like, sure there's the risk that polling well will make idiots overconfident and not vote in the belief everything's done and dusted, but this is some incoherent bullshit.

He's a political sketch writer, a professional unfunny comedian.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

A Labour victory being defined of course as Corbyn winning the election *in the pissflaps voice* and then stepping down.

He's not going to step down when labour lose so I don't think your scenario is likely.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Looke posted:

TWO PISSFLAPS :stare:

I'm spalfssip.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

We are all Pissflaps.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's a political sketch writer, a professional unfunny comedian.

Something something, Labour Right opinions are indistinguishable from bad jokes something something.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

He's not going to step down when labour lose so I don't think your scenario is likely.

Outside of the joke bit am I right in stating that you're defining victory as "Corbyn forms government with him as pm" or will there be more hurdles to jump?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Reckon the next few weeks of polling will be dependant on whether or not having the Army and armed guards stomping about this place is taken as a good thing or if footage of Corbyn and various policemen pointing out the 19,000 less police under May and her time as Home Secretary picks up steam.

I never did understand the police cuts. Even from a Tory point of view it's dumb. These are the guys who protect you from the riots caused by your policies, you idiots! Thatcher knew that, she wasn't trying to economise on the police when she did Orgreave, she was authorising overtime.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/867848021182173185?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Is a Labour / Lib dem coalition possible?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

There was polling data from earlier in the campaign that people who were hostile to a Corbyn led government were still prepared to vote labour as they thought he had no chance of winning. Tightening polls reduce that effect.

You might disagree but it's not incoherent.

Also the Tories have floated a couple of balloons along the lines of "Labour are still a danger, better turn out and vote!" already.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

feedmegin posted:

I never did understand the police cuts. Even from a Tory point of view it's dumb. These are the guys who protect you from the riots caused by your policies, you idiots! Thatcher knew that, she wasn't trying to economise on the police when she did Orgreave, she was authorising overtime.

It makes sense in the context that they wanted more of the support staff roles to go out to private firms.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not much point in it, wouldn't mind lab/snp

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tithin posted:

Is a Labour / Lib dem coalition possible?

No. In any case, the lib dems are twats and would rather go with the tories if it came to that.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Outside of the joke bit am I right in stating that you're defining victory as "Corbyn forms government with him as pm" or will there be more hurdles to jump?

You'll be unsurprised to learn you're not right.

There's no hurdles. The party or parties that forms a government will have 'won' the election. I'm not sure why you're so keen to ask me this it's not complicated.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Namtab posted:

What's the snp numbers asides from "all of Scotland"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Corbster knew:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/668848373227614208

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I don't get it ether but the Tories have been attacking their own base as a matter of course recently. It's almost as if they've forgotten they're trying to trick people into voting to gently caress themselves over.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hubris innit

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also the Tories have floated a couple of balloons along the lines of "Labour are still a danger, better turn out and vote!" already.

we've somehow got three of the leaflets that just say "TRUMP WON CORBYN MIGHT" which isn't actually an argument

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Namtab posted:

Labour/SNP/Plaid/Green would be a reasonable coalition. I'd take the Lib Dems if they were needed to form a majority but lol if they think they're getting listened to on matters of policy.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
no

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Lab and SNP will also never coalition formally, the closest you would get is a Labour minority government which would rely on the SNP to pass budgets and laws.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

tithin posted:

i'll have you know the snp are seeing a TOTAL DESTRUCTION and this time round their seats might merely number nearly all of Scotland.

So uh, somewhere between 50 and 55 probably

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

spectralent posted:

we've somehow got three of the leaflets that just say "TRUMP WON CORBYN MIGHT" which isn't actually an argument

The best part of those adverts were that the three things listed on them were all things that were considered favourably by their base.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

tithin posted:

Somewhere between 40 and 50 mps who would probably not do indyref 2 in exchange for some kind of brexit deal or devolution

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 25, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

[...] am I right in stating that you're defining victory as "Corbyn forms government with him as pm" or will there be more hurdles to jump?

Pissflaps posted:

You'll be unsurprised to learn you're not right.

There's no hurdles. The party or parties that forms a government will have 'won' the election. I'm not sure why you're so keen to ask me this it's not complicated.

So I am right? You just said the same thing as me there, I think you may be confused about what "or" means.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

It's amazing how PMQ sessions legit look like something out of Blackadder

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jBrereton posted:

Lab and SNP will also never coalition formally, the closest you would get is a Labour minority government which would rely on the SNP to pass budgets and laws.

We've got one of those "confidence and supply" arrangements in Ireland at the moment. It kinda works? But the whole situation definitely feels tenuous as gently caress and the petty pointscoring has gotten outlandish

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

We've got one of those "confidence and supply" arrangements in Ireland at the moment. It kinda works? But the whole situation definitely feels tenuous as gently caress and the petty pointscoring has gotten outlandish
It's been done before by Labour here but then never with people who wanted to leave the country so ???

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

It's amazing how PMQ sessions legit look like something out of Blackadder
yeah it sucks and should not exist tbh

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oh I see, I forgot to say "youre defining Labour victory as...", I can't handle this wordplay

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

So I am right? You just said the same thing as me there, I think you may be confused about what "or" means.

You asked if there are 'more hurdles' suggesting I had already put in place artificial barriers to defining labour's election as having been successful.

It's really loving simple I'm not sure what you're struggling with: if labour are in government a few days after the election then it was a success.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

jBrereton posted:

yeah it sucks and should not exist tbh

It's the best part of your whole political system.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just to take this back to the threads foundations (video games), I like to think that when all of these Pissflaps accounts merge, the rest of us will merge with it in a manner very similar to the Helios ending of Deus Ex.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

You asked if there are 'more hurdles' suggesting I had already put in place artificial barriers to defining labour's election as having been successful.

It's really loving simple I'm not sure what you're struggling with: if labour are in government a few days after the election then it was a success.

So you don't know what "or" means? Because you were offered multiple choices.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Namtab posted:

I'm not virtuous, I'm namtab

Nice to meet you

What anime do you like?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I'm seein double here

FOUR PISSFLAPS'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jBrereton posted:

It's been done before by Labour here but then never with people who wanted to leave the country so ???

Corbyns position is to agree with whatever the scottish parliament decides on a referendum or not so potentially I could see them being uncomfortable allies on that point.

Also Corbyn would be amicable to ensure that single market access is retained which was a key SNP demand on Brexit, so they could really see eye to eye on major Scottish questions at least.

• Locked thread