Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

we all knew this was coming when his son looked exactly like the state farm guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the only way that works is if pau leaves.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

I think the only way that works is if pau leaves.

Parker could also retire.

e: Probably would have to be Parker and Manu retiring (or Manu signs for less than the $14M he got this year)

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 24, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ButtWolf posted:

i know this may be homerish, but do you think Atl would be into Oladipo Kanter and 1st rder for Millsap and Hardaway? I love Millsap and want him on my team.

Isn't Hardaway a UFA?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Milsap is a ufa.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

No wait, it looks like the Spurs have $96M in guarantees for next year and apparently the cap is going to be like $102M. That figure includes Parker's $15M and Pau's $16M but nothing for Manu.

I could see Pau opting out and re-signing for less to be able to play with Paul though.

comedy option: spurs dump aldridge on doc.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 24, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shear Modulus posted:

No wait, it looks like the Spurs have $96M in guarantees for next year and apparently the cap is going to be like $102M. That figure includes Parker's $15M and Pau's $16M but nothing for Manu.

I could see Pau opting out and re-signing for less to be able to play with Paul though.

comedy option: spurs dump aldridge on doc.

Yeah it's probably just posturing for LAC but if Tony retires, Manu retires or takes a sweetheart deal, and Pau opts out to take one too, they can clear a max for Paul. Or maybe CP3 takes a paycut if we're assuming guys are giving up piles of money for a shot at a ring.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Why do they not want to make the conference finals? sorry Fooches

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

good, good. finally the rockets will be able to get past the second round.

real talk though that would be an upsettingly good team with chris paul doing p&rs with kawhi. and pop's aggressive rest is probably what cp3 needs at this point.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah it's probably just posturing for LAC but if Tony retires, Manu retires or takes a sweetheart deal, and Pau opts out to take one too, they can clear a max for Paul. Or maybe CP3 takes a paycut if we're assuming guys are giving up piles of money for a shot at a ring.

well if there's one elite player who might consider taking a paycut to win a ring it's probably CP3.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

well if there's one elite player who might consider taking a paycut to win a ring it's probably CP3.

How long until Melo hits that point, I don't know when his deal is up.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I think Melo has shown that he prioritizes money over winning or even just not having a horrible organization that's doing game of thrones poo poo with him in the media

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

chunkles posted:

I think Melo has shown that he prioritizes money over winning or even just not having a horrible organization that's doing game of thrones poo poo with him in the media

I mean. Most people would prioritize loving ~50 million dollars.

His free agency year IIRC there were so few teams with the actual money to give him, that were actual contenders.

The Bulls couldn't afford the 4 year max so he would have had to turn down a whole hell of alot of money to sign here.

No other team wooing him was worth a drat.

For me to turn down 50 milldo I would have to guarantee I'm going to a squad with a good organization, and team that will almost assuredly win a ring.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

He just negotiated the new collective bargaining agreement as head of the players association so he could get more money... I don't think he's taking less than the max.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its called misdirection, its a classic magicians trick

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Frustrated posted:

He just negotiated the new collective bargaining agreement as head of the players association so he could get more money... I don't think he's taking less than the max.

Most of what he negotiated didn't apply to him though. The Designated Player Exception doesn't apply to guys with 10+ years, and the other big changes were higher rookie and MLE scales. The only thing that applies to Paul is the over-36 rule so he can get offered a 5-year deal, which he can still do even if he doesn't take the max.

I dunno, I think he still takes the money but I don't like when people act like he manipulated the CBA to his benefit. The only rule he changed was one that said "You are not allowed to pay 36 year olds as if they are good players" which is a pretty dumb rule.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah. Cp3 has never said he put that in for him .

The rule was anti labor and only served to protect owners.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I of course also think Paul almost certainly takes the money, but he has a reputation of caring a lot about winning and legacy and I think the CP3/Jordan/Griffin Clippers are stuck where they are and probably not going to be able to make the Finals for the length of CP3's next contract barring a big swing in injury luck for them and against the Warriors/Spurs/Rockets. I just think that if there was an elite player that might consider it if the situation presented itself it's CP3, and the Clippers right now are the biggest example of a team capping out but still being stuck just below the top tier.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Anyone remember that huge run they went on at the beginning of the season that had everyone thinking they had made the leap to real deal contenders?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How many times have the Clippers exited the playoffs with their core healthy?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spacebump posted:

How many times have the Clippers exited the playoffs with their core healthy?

I'm not sure they have but at some point that's the problem.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Weltman is reportedly going to target Tony Snell with all of their cap room. Cool. Blow your wad on role players again, just like the last management group did

I hate this team so much now

edit: And Otto Porter is the other target I guess. Even worse

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 25, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BIZORT posted:

Weltman is reportedly going to target Tony Snell with all of their cap room. Cool. Blow your wad on role players again, just like the last management group did

Hahahahahahahahaha

Tony Snell bout to get paid and I want to shoot myself.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Doc Rivers is a mediocre coach and an rear end-tier GM, not sure it really has anything to do with Clips core players.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

I'm not sure they have but at some point that's the problem.

At this point Griffin imo deserves the dreaded "injury-prone" label. When he's on he's absolutely elite but that's too infrequent. It's sad to say but the best way forward for the Clips in the immediate term might be Griffin leaving (he has an ETO and could likely be able to get a max if he tries the market) and, I dunno, Paul George signing.

Of course that doesn't solve their problems of their bench perenially being poo poo due to Rivers refusing to sign anyone who he didn't coach on the Celtics or in the driveway at home.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Tony Snell bout to get paid and I want to shoot myself.

He's probably worth some money now, he played great once he was off the Bulls.

Bulls should have stuck with the long game and unleashed Tony Snell after he signed a poo poo contract

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BIZORT posted:

gently caress me I hate them both

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

So we lose people like Roger Moore and Chris Cornell, but this POS is still alive?

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/867786615032135680

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
If it's a lifetime ban I hope when he dies she brings his corpse to a game weekend at Bernie's style

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

BIZORT posted:

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/867860332752105472

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Also, Magic is making everyone other than Ingram available.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/867861620893990912

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm sure D'Angelo loves hearing that. And yeah, there must be tons of teams willing to take Mozgov and Deng. Good job Magic.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I want the Suns to trade for D'Angelo just so Lakers fans on twitter will stop saying he's better than Booker

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
They both stink

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

you stink

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Also, Magic is making everyone other than Ingram available.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/867861620893990912

So what's D’Angelo Russell's stock at this point? I feel like the Lakers are down on him and a team could get fair value in a trade but what's fair value for him?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Devin Booker, straight up

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Butler for Russel and #2 pick plz

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lakers would be have to be dumber than a box of rocks to trade the snitch with that said I can't wait to see the haul Magic gets for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Magic is gonna call the Bulls ask if they have interest in D'angelo and GarPax will debate it and eventually decide to ship out Butler since they expect him to leave in FA anyway and they'll call Magic back and say yeah we'll send you Butler and Magic will get all confused and say he thought it was obvious he wanted Rondo.

• Locked thread