Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OneTwentySix posted:

I saw some pictures from a vendor and I think they just collected a variety of age classes - I don't think they've been in the pet trade long enough to have been captive bred.

i guess, i am just going by mine being ok with me handling it. maybe its just the indivdual. it acts like my dumpy. idk maybe i am just lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Re: Backwater or anyplace else, a good place to check before you buy any herp is the BOI. It is a little drama filled, but that's part of the charm.

A post on Backwater: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524149&highlight=backwater

Or Try Herpetoculture Feedback and Inquiry on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/342910095878787/

Reptiles are a weird hobby because traditionally there is a lot of regulation on dogs and cats and so forth but not as much on herps. So if something goes wrong you have less recourse than if a dog or cat or livestock transaction went poorly. Couple that with weirdos being attracted to the hobby in the first place and, you have to be careful.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 12, 2017

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
This is Craven, my late CB16 male toffeebelly hognose.

He's puffed and hissed and almost considered fake striking (but bottles out and runs away). No paying dead or musking yet. Only fed him twice so far on pinkies, but Thursday I'll be trying him with a fuzzy

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER

Angelwolf posted:

He's puffed and hissed and almost considered fake striking (but bottles out and runs away). No paying dead or musking yet. Only fed him twice so far on pinkies, but Thursday I'll be trying him with a fuzzy

What a cute little guy. Hognoses have to be one of my favourite snakes (but maybe I'm biased because I've had my own little idiot for about two years).

Does he have some bedding or stuff to burrow in? Nothing like a hognose going hog-wild (:v:) digging tunnels!

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
I redecorated my lizard's cage and now he's hidden for two days in his hide. I think I traumatized him lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Angelwolf posted:

i always wanted a hognose(my gf has one and its pretty friendly) but i am immune suppressed so i am worried if it bit me, it would be much worse then just some sickness. so i will probaly just get a ball python. craven is very cute though :)

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Well my Skink is very much aware it is no longer winter. Instead of sleeping all day erry day, I instead get woken up before the lights auto turn on by him scratching against his enclosure glass wanting out.

Not sure how the hell he can tell since house is a steady 72-74 except in summer and the blinds are always closed so isn't getting much natural daylight to figure things out.

But whatever happy to have my buddy out exploring except for the fact he always tries to eat my toes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so my rain frog got bit on the arm by a cricket and its missing some skin there and he hasn't been himself. i have been treating the wound with neosporin and I have moved it to a smaller cleaner container, i am worried because he wont eat, but he seems calmer and the wound looks a little better. anything else i should do?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
So there was a Reptile Expo at Northeastern University in Chicago this weekend, and my daughter was super excited to see some alligators.

Then she saw that she could actually hold one:

So now I'm looking for a reputable reptile supply place near North Chicago, because my wife thinks corn snakes are adorable. Recommendations?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

So there was a Reptile Expo at Northeastern University in Chicago this weekend, and my daughter was super excited to see some alligators.

Then she saw that she could actually hold one:

So now I'm looking for a reputable reptile supply place near North Chicago, because my wife thinks corn snakes are adorable. Recommendations?

is she a first time snake person. i personaly think ball pythons are better first time snakes, plus they are way less nippy then corns. but corns are good too.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Eh, I honestly think Corns are better first time snakes. Yes, generally a bit more nippy and squirmy, but also a lot less boring. I guess it depends on if you rather actually see your snake or are worried about the minuscule chance of getting bitten by something that doesn't even really hurt. Kinda itches really.

But what do I know, I have the most aggressive Ball Python on the planet. I've had her for a little over a year and been bitten by her more than the combined total of all my other herps over the last like 5 years.

You also just missed the Tinley Park show. It was a couple weeks ago. I think next one is sometime in October. I think we also sometimes get the smaller Repticon shows out in places like St. Charles.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 10, 2017

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I personally wouldn't have problem with a ball, or maybe a king, but she is a little intimidated by the size if balls for a first snake, and she also, like you said, thinks their kinda boring. The corns she got to hold were more active, curious, and she liked that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My first snake, Spaghetti, is a corn. For the first six months or so, you'll have to be careful handling a corn, because they're so small. A year and a half after getting him, my little guy now stretches almost the entire length of his 40 gallon tank!

In a personal level, I think corns are prettier than balls unless you're going for some crazy morph. Plus, baby balls sometimes get stupid about food and won't eat.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Speaking of non-beginner snakes, you can once again ship anacondas and reticulated pythons across state lines. The DC circuit has backed up a district court decision on the matter. IIRC there was at least one goon with an anaconda who was worried they would have to kill or give away (or release into the everglades) their pet if they ever had to move.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
...That article is awful.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cless Alvein posted:

...That article is awful.
I'm assuming anyone reading this thread will understand that the court's decision is actually good.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Yeah court decision good. Just an awfully written article about it.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

This also applies to the salamander interstate trade ban, which was literally costing me over $1,000 a year from selling sirens and newts.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
My beardie has been acting kinda weird recently and mostly just sleeps and sulks in corners and is showing a few patches on his back like he's about to shed. However I noticed some weird marks on his chin, I thought it might be shedding too but I've never seen him with marks like this. Should I be concerned or just let him get on with it?

It gave me a good chance to get some glamour shots for his dating profile either way.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
can a lizard feel love

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Avshalom posted:

can a lizard feel love
I think it's all they feel. That's where "lizard brain" comes from isn't it?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Avshalom posted:

can a lizard feel love

possibly. i know my dumpy frog likes me. he will climb out of his cage and sit/sleep on my hand/finger for hours but i got him when he was basically a froglett (he is still less then a year but a little bigger) he has also been trying to croak.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Worked on some leash training with Elmore this morning. I think it went rather well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

can dumpy frogs and crested gecko live together if they are the same size? i have read mixed opinions but some say they can as long as they are the same size. my gf says they can and i think she is getting me one for our anniversary.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

can dumpy frogs and crested gecko live together if they are the same size? i have read mixed opinions but some say they can as long as they are the same size. my gf says they can and i think she is getting me one for our anniversary.

I wouldn't do it. Dumpies are loving pigs and Mr gecko will be a snack in no time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PK posted:

I wouldn't do it. Dumpies are loving pigs and Mr gecko will be a snack in no time.

ok. thats fine, to be fair dumpy is still under a year, but yeah i can agree. either way i have no idea what kinda animal she is getting me if she is even getting one.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've been looking at getting a whites tree frog. I was wondering how loud/often they croak... Is it enough to frequently wake someone up in the night? My other concern was having to keep crickets as their food, are there good substitutes for their diet?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
gently caress. My male albino ball python, Dracula, died. I have no idea what went wrong, he was off feed but he's always been a picky eater, and wasn't losing weight. Not a sign of disease on him. Just a very dead limp snake. He was maybe 10 years old?

Last year my female Kenyan sand boa had a surprise clutch of babies and died within the month. She was a little over 10, maybe 12 years old, and an adult when I got her.

And then I look over to Alien, my first ever snake, my normal ball male....still kicking it at 18 years old.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Sorry for your loss, that sucks. Sometimes reptiles just hide illness really well and there isn't anything you can do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've been looking at getting a whites tree frog. I was wondering how loud/often they croak... Is it enough to frequently wake someone up in the night? My other concern was having to keep crickets as their food, are there good substitutes for their diet?

mine hasn't croaked yet, its still a yearling, but the mostly croak in response to stuff(noises/interactions and females) plus the dont do it that long. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTsmNjB2ZRY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huRznTMiF9U its just this. for crickets. they have to eat live prey(unless they are pixie frogs, they eat anything) just keep like 20 crickets in a cricket case and just buy 20 or so when you run out.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Mine tend to croak more when it's about to rain and tend to croak as a response, not a routine. It can get loud but they've never woken me up. I feed mine a variety of bugs: crickets (hate these - they escape and hide and chirp), silk worms, super worms, horn worms. Remember to dust their crickets in calcium powder every so often and check out Sticky Frogs

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

This is Melon. He's a Chameleon. His hobbies include hecking out whenever :siren: THE HAND :siren: spots him and gives away his position, eating crickets, long suns on the porch hibiscus, and I guess reptile resistance training? He practices a lot of inverted and wall yoga when he's not sunning, eating, sleeping, or misting in his indoor enclosure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh nice, I had a veiled chameleon (creatively named Mr. Chameleon). He was super cool. Mr. Chameleon really liked romaine lettuce, and drinking from a stream of water poured into his cage because he was too cool to drink from a dripper and otherwise would try to just get all of his water from eating romaine lettuce.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

You know, it's weird, I can't get this guy to take fruits or veggies at all so far, even though I hear they love berries? How did you present the food to Mr. Chameleon?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Waffle House posted:

You know, it's weird, I can't get this guy to take fruits or veggies at all so far, even though I hear they love berries? How did you present the food to Mr. Chameleon?

I never offered fruit or berries to Mr. Chameleon. My understanding is that they're obligate insectivores who have evolved to eat foliage due to living in Yemen where standing water is too scarce to be a reliable source of water. He ate shitloads of crickets, the occasional waxworm treat, and there was always a leaf of lettuce available, but that's about it. Oh, also I forgot to mention but I'd dust the lettuce with a bit of calcium powder + vitamins sometimes, just to supplement.

I had a big cage for him with a big plant, and a bunch of sticks I ziptied together to create a jungle gym he could climb on and get into/out of the heat lamp zone easily. I would open up the cage and clip a leaf of romaine lettuce to a stick while he arched his back and hissed at me as though this had not been the same thing that had happened every couple of days for two years. Mr. Chameleon was a grumpy old man even before he was full grown.

Funny thing though: he never minded the presence of my cats, but nothing on this good Earth was more offensive to him than our robot mop (we had a Scooba).

e. Be careful about what you read online. A ton of people apply general info about chameleons to veileds, where they should not. Most chameleons live in tropical environments and are adapted to a different diet.

e2. In particular, avoid plant matter that is too high in phosphorus compared to calcium, and don't feed spinach or other plants that have high amounts of oxalates which possibly can inhibit calcium uptake. Also avoid citrus and other highly acidic fruits. Other than that, you can offer a veiled chameleon most kinds of fruit (ideally ground into a paste) as an occasional snack, and should have leafy greens such as lettuce or dandilion available at all times, especially for an animal that refuses to drink from a dripper. But the great bulk of a veiled chameleon's diet should be insects, with all other foods supplemental only.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 26, 2017

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Leperflesh posted:

I never offered fruit or berries to Mr. Chameleon. My understanding is that they're obligate insectivores who have evolved to eat foliage due to living in Yemen where standing water is too scarce to be a reliable source of water. He ate shitloads of crickets, the occasional waxworm treat, and there was always a leaf of lettuce available, but that's about it. Oh, also I forgot to mention but I'd dust the lettuce with a bit of calcium powder + vitamins sometimes, just to supplement.

I had a big cage for him with a big plant, and a bunch of sticks I ziptied together to create a jungle gym he could climb on and get into/out of the heat lamp zone easily. I would open up the cage and clip a leaf of romaine lettuce to a stick while he arched his back and hissed at me as though this had not been the same thing that had happened every couple of days for two years. Mr. Chameleon was a grumpy old man even before he was full grown.

Funny thing though: he never minded the presence of my cats, but nothing on this good Earth was more offensive to him than our robot mop (we had a Scooba).

e. Be careful about what you read online. A ton of people apply general info about chameleons to veileds, where they should not. Most chameleons live in tropical environments and are adapted to a different diet.

e2. In particular, avoid plant matter that is too high in phosphorus compared to calcium, and don't feed spinach or other plants that have high amounts of oxalates which possibly can inhibit calcium uptake. Also avoid citrus and other highly acidic fruits. Other than that, you can offer a veiled chameleon most kinds of fruit (ideally ground into a paste) as an occasional snack, and should have leafy greens such as lettuce or dandilion available at all times, especially for an animal that refuses to drink from a dripper. But the great bulk of a veiled chameleon's diet should be insects, with all other foods supplemental only.

Ah! Similar to Iguanas; looks like a lot of herps have concerns about oxalate-heavy plant matter. (I have a juvenile/early adult Red iguana as well.)

I will totally apply this advice if...Melon decides he's going to come back. I came home yesterday to the girlfriend in tears that the Chameleon had left us during his sunning time; apparently he scaled the sheer brick face of our apartment down from the second story balcony, absconded through the porch garden, and is now somewhere in the wild, likely near our apartment.

I guess the call of the wild came, and he answered. I'm...trying not to freak out, because I loved the little guy, but at the same time, it's a wild animal, and it's natural to be upset and worried about him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, he is probably not going to survive unless you get him back, even if you live in exactly the right environment. And I don't wanna pile on while you're upset, but: you don't leave your pet lizard out unattended with open windows, I don't know how anyone would think that was a good idea?

I would go around knocking on neighbors' doors requesting access to back yards. Look for him high in treetops or hiding in foliage. Unless it's really hot where you live, he might be seeking hot sunlight to bask in.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Leperflesh posted:

I mean, he is probably not going to survive unless you get him back, even if you live in exactly the right environment. And I don't wanna pile on while you're upset, but: you don't leave your pet lizard out unattended with open windows, I don't know how anyone would think that was a good idea?

I would go around knocking on neighbors' doors requesting access to back yards. Look for him high in treetops or hiding in foliage. Unless it's really hot where you live, he might be seeking hot sunlight to bask in.

We've....searched. Yeah, sorry, I wasn't at the time home to observe and attend to him. Thanks for thoughts & prayers, though, I do appreciate it. While I live in a very Mediterranean climate, my thoughts turned grim pretty quickly when I didn't locate him in any shrubs or trees within a block or two of my house. I probably missed him, though, because it's his biological function to not be seen.

thanks for the advice, though, I'll post if I find him

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
I keep revisiting the idea of getting a blue tongue skink, I've considered it on and off for a couple of years now. Any of you guys have one or have experience with them? Their tiny legs and unimpressed faces just slay me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I love my BTS.

Super easy to take care of. Kinda needs a big tank. I paid ~$300 or so I think for mine from pvccages.com . They're super nice and really light which is why I got it vs building my own from plywood or melamine.

Feeding is really easy since they're totally fine on good qaulity wet and dry dog food if you want. I mix it up with fruits and veggies ( loves blueberries) and roaches.

They really show their personality. He( never actually got him sexed) is really curious and will crawl against his glass when he wants to let out to roam around.

So I put up a baby gate and let him do his thing figuring out later where the hell he is sleeping.

He usually managed to climb my bed skirt and then on to the bed to sleep on it. I used to let him stay out all night sleeping under my pillow, but then the fucker woke up up a few times by biting the poo poo out of me since I was in his way. Dick.

Found him sleeping in a dirty sock once.

Dog wants to be friends or use him as a chew toy. Not really sure.

Tank after I managed to have one of the doors slip out of my hand and shatter everywhere. Replacement was only like $15 too bad shipping made it $50.

A Scary Little Dog posted:

I keep revisiting the idea of getting a blue tongue skink, I've considered it on and off for a couple of years now. Any of you guys have one or have experience with them? Their tiny legs and unimpressed faces just slay me.

I haven't seen her post in a while, but I think Silver Nitrate is really the only other person with a BTS and is who I originally got my info from to begin with.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 28, 2017