Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is my game bugged? I'm trying to send a colony ship to a star that's not connected by starlanes and it won't let me. It says I have to research Autonomous Materials. But I did, a while ago. How can I get to this system now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is my game bugged? I'm trying to send a colony ship to a star that's not connected by starlanes and it won't let me. It says I have to research Autonomous Materials. But I did, a while ago. How can I get to this system now?

I think the one you need is Baryonic Shielding.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Xae posted:

Add then remove the "infinite" options like Industry -> Science before.

It worked for me.

Nope, tried that, production still blocked indefinitely. And this is reproducible.

In a system's production queue have a tech set to finish in 1 turn, followed by the infinite 25% industry->research tech. Have "Autonomous Mining" set to finish in 1 turn. End turn. That system now permanently has the 25% industry->research tech applied and production is blocked forever.

Submitting a bug report.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So now that this game is officially "out" will they continue to develop it like Stellaris or is this it? Because this feels like a pretty good start but the game still has some huge weakspots begging for expansions and patches.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

So now that this game is officially "out" will they continue to develop it like Stellaris or is this it? Because this feels like a pretty good start but the game still has some huge weakspots begging for expansions and patches.
Given their track record? Absolutely.

Just looking at their last 4X, Endless Legend, it got numerous expansions and each added a whole new mechanic to the game. Espionage, a new resource called pearls which were generated during winter, and eventually the oceans were opened up. Each also brought a new race built around the new mechanic. It's safe to assume Endless Space 2 will get a similar treatment.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Last game by tbis studio got three new faction DLCs. Each faction specialized in a new aspect of the game that was added to the game with the faction. There were some minor DLCs as well.

It was some pretty good additional content. I'm hoping for more than 3 additional factions this time though even if not all of them come with some new game mechanic.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Baronjutter posted:

Yes they are going to still develop for it.
The next major patch will add Fighters and Bombers. Amplitude has a good track record for updating their games.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

So I made a custom race that is a mix between the Riftborn and Horatio. They eat all the other races to gain their strengths then just build all of their supermen on every planet en masse. None of the AI races are even close to keeping up with me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

deathbagel posted:

So I made a custom race that is a mix between the Riftborn and Horatio. They eat all the other races to gain their strengths then just build all of their supermen on every planet en masse. None of the AI races are even close to keeping up with me.

custom civs are completely broken

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Does completing the story for a custom faction count for the respective base faction's story completion Steam achievement, or do you have to suffer with the base factions which might as well have their hands tied behind their back and cement blocks strapped to their shoes? Asking because once you go Ecologist Vodyani, you can't go back

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there an explanation somewhere about how Trading companies work?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am still trying to get a feel for what a good deterrent fleet size is and how to work that buildup into the early-midgame. I thought I was doing all right zoning out the Vodyani while I expanded, since the 7-frigate fleet I had was blasting the leechers and 1-2 stragglers they had going into my territory, and I was slowly building a second fleet to cover my other border with the UE.

Then both of them declared war on me at the same time and sent 18-strong fleets at me

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Autism Sneaks posted:

Does completing the story for a custom faction count for the respective base faction's story completion Steam achievement, or do you have to suffer with the base factions which might as well have their hands tied behind their back and cement blocks strapped to their shoes? Asking because once you go Ecologist Vodyani, you can't go back

I know that winning the game with a custom faction gives a different achievement than the base race. Not sure if the storyline also will give the achievement.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Lprsti99 posted:

I think the one you need is Baryonic Shielding.

I've had that since early game. I think this is just a legit bug and I won't be able to do any free-exploring at all this time around. It's worked before, but the game keeps telling me I need Autonomous Materials (which I have had for a while).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I sort of get trade routes. Get the tech, build a HQ in your fartherst away system, then build the other part in the other farthest away system and the trade route generates value based on the number of and economic output of systems it passes through. Where I get confused is when multiple trade routes start to appear, and foreign trade. What happens when routes overlap? How does the game know the optimal path for the route to take? If I have a trade HQ and a foreign trade agreement do I have to wait for them to build a subsidiary or how's it work?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So I sort of get trade routes. Get the tech, build a HQ in your fartherst away system, then build the other part in the other farthest away system and the trade route generates value based on the number of and economic output of systems it passes through. Where I get confused is when multiple trade routes start to appear, and foreign trade. What happens when routes overlap? How does the game know the optimal path for the route to take? If I have a trade HQ and a foreign trade agreement do I have to wait for them to build a subsidiary or how's it work?

don't think about it too hard. build HQs wherever, subsidiaries wherever, and your dust income naturally goes exponential around turn 80ish

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
About heroes you might want to use in your fleets: it's much better if you level them up on colonies first to get some good abilities, because heroes don't seem to level up very well in combat right now. I had a game where my planet-bound heroes were all 20/30+ by the endgame while my 'admiral' who started at level 3 had gained a measly 3 levels through the multitude of battles he'd participated in.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Drunk in Space posted:

About heroes you might want to use in your fleets: it's much better if you level them up on colonies first to get some good abilities, because heroes don't seem to level up very well in combat right now. I had a game where my planet-bound heroes were all 20/30+ by the endgame while my 'admiral' who started at level 3 had gained a measly 3 levels through the multitude of battles he'd participated in.

Exploring with Heroes gives good XP, they'll level much faster tagging along with your scout.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, I noticed that with that seeker woman the Empire gets. It's just the combat XP that seems broken right now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So the tree people have vined one of my systems. I'm ok with them but it means every time a fleet goes through that key border system (I'm constantly at war with fish-boobs so have to leave a fleet there) the tree people get all worried and angry and threaten to break our peace because we have ships in their territory. But it's not their territory, it's fully mine but they some how have space vines!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do the Riftborn play? Can I buy pops if I use their affinity with a custom faction, and how does one buy pops with them?

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Baronjutter posted:

So the tree people have vined one of my systems. I'm ok with them but it means every time a fleet goes through that key border system (I'm constantly at war with fish-boobs so have to leave a fleet there) the tree people get all worried and angry and threaten to break our peace because we have ships in their territory. But it's not their territory, it's fully mine but they some how have space vines!

If they have vines on it it's theirs, you just don't know it yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CommissarMega posted:

How do the Riftborn play? Can I buy pops if I use their affinity with a custom faction, and how does one buy pops with them?

You actually have to use their "Visual Affinity" to buy pops. Their "Gameplay Affinity" is the reversed terraforming and time bubble stuff.

They just construct population in the production queue like a ship or a building. The cost increases as the planet becomes fuller.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rocketpriest posted:

If they have vines on it it's theirs, you just don't know it yet.

I don't know how the riftborn works, are they going to some how take it from me??

Also the endless space theme has... lyrics?!
https://soundcloud.com/flybyno/worship-the-endless-gary?in=flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-soundtrack

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Clarste posted:

You actually have to use their "Visual Affinity" to buy pops. Their "Gameplay Affinity" is the reversed terraforming and time bubble stuff.

They just construct population in the production queue like a ship or a building. The cost increases as the planet becomes fuller.

Righto, thanks!

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Christ, that "opponent is picking strategy" / AI in encounter bug is really something. It's screwed up my entire game. Even reloading various autosaves doesn't help. Time to roll back for a bit.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Playing as the Unfallen, and my vineships are now refusing to entwine more systems. Systems I take through conquest are initially vined, but then get unentwined. Any idea what the issue might be? There's no enemy fleets breaking the connection.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know how the riftborn works, are they going to some how take it from me??

Also the endless space theme has... lyrics?!
https://soundcloud.com/flybyno/worship-the-endless-gary?in=flybyno/sets/endless-space-2-soundtrack

Gary Lawrence Soubrier has sung for each game, turns out he's part of a band with FlyByNo and yes, harps play a large part.

Zkoto
Dec 9, 2004

Drunk in Space posted:

Christ, that "opponent is picking strategy" / AI in encounter bug is really something. It's screwed up my entire game. Even reloading various autosaves doesn't help. Time to roll back for a bit.

Yeah I've lost two games to it so far, haven't actually been able to complete a game yet. Anyone know if there's a way around it?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Speaking of Riftborn, I think I way overexpanded on my Riftborn game. Whenever I see a new star with planets I just rush buy a colony ship and go colonize it. I'm now 60 turns in with like 13 stars and a ton of mutinous colonies. Oops. They're supposed to be the 'tall' race, right?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, I can get an edge and eventually stay in the lead in a Serious game without having to abuse trading companies. Hell, for the meantime I think I'll be avoiding trade companies anyway, they're just plain broken.

Warfare isn't so hot, however, since the AI apparently is dogshit terrible at designing ships? I mean, when your basic attack ship does single digit damage to whatever I design, your ability to spam ships and grow pops super fast is kinda useless. At least I can confirm that the "bigger ship = plain better than point equivalent in smaller ships" theory is true as of now.

Also, I can definitely say that Serious opponents will actually throw ships at you, at least compared to Hard opponents. They definitely do need work in terms of ship design and coordinating fleet movements, however; too many single ships being thrown to their deaths after an initial wave of actual fleets. Once this Empire run is done, I might go for an Endless run with Riftborn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Aethernet posted:

Playing as the Unfallen, and my vineships are now refusing to entwine more systems. Systems I take through conquest are initially vined, but then get unentwined. Any idea what the issue might be? There's no enemy fleets breaking the connection.

I had this same bug. The problem was "fixed" when the empire I conquered was wiped out completely, so my guess is it's ghost ships. IE: The game doesn't properly register that they're gone so it keeps applying their unentwining effect forever. Being at peace wasn't enough, for the record.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Cease to Hope posted:

custom civs are completely broken

I made Imperials, but with the +5 bonus to FIDS that the riftborn(?) get and good god, lol.

Custom civs are completely broken.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fhqwhgads posted:

Speaking of Riftborn, I think I way overexpanded on my Riftborn game. Whenever I see a new star with planets I just rush buy a colony ship and go colonize it. I'm now 60 turns in with like 13 stars and a ton of mutinous colonies. Oops. They're supposed to be the 'tall' race, right?

Are you running toys for boys? I nearly hosed myself over this way but that law saved my rear end.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Antti posted:

Are you running toys for boys? I nearly hosed myself over this way but that law saved my rear end.

Oh man, I had a close call in my current game where Anarchy cancelled that law during a period of massive expansion (Quest: Go conquer a bunch of systems so you can have 5 with antimatter and 6 with adamantium!) and a bunch of systems went into the mutiny countdown. I'm really glad they have that little button that lets you soothe the rebellion with luxuries as a band-aid while the new government gets established and I quickly research a new happiness tech building. Lesson learned: If you're planning to take a ton of worlds, make sure there's a happiness component in every system level upgrade. Better get some systems with those grapes or berries or whatever they are!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Rocketpriest posted:

Oh man, I had a close call in my current game where Anarchy cancelled that law during a period of massive expansion (Quest: Go conquer a bunch of systems so you can have 5 with antimatter and 6 with adamantium!) and a bunch of systems went into the mutiny countdown. I'm really glad they have that little button that lets you soothe the rebellion with luxuries as a band-aid while the new government gets established and I quickly research a new happiness tech building. Lesson learned: If you're planning to take a ton of worlds, make sure there's a happiness component in every system level upgrade. Better get some systems with those grapes or berries or whatever they are!

Yeah I think those Transvine grape luxuries are some of the best luxuries in the game. I love seeing those pop up in explorations, because it just means I can expand even more!

Edit: I did make mistakes in this Riftborn game like colonizing all stars indiscriminately. Next time I should probably focus on ignoring cold/ice planet stars and rushing for hot/industry heavy stars. Especially in the early game. I can probably get my homeworld build up enough to pump out colony ships as fast as I find 'optimal' stars for outposts.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 26, 2017

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Do the bonuses from each colony development stage stack? Also if you want to play "colonize everything asap" the unfallen work really well for that. Even without trying to get peace pacts and stuff, you have a really high growth rate and some extra happiness bonuses, and not having to build colony ships lets you build more improvements/ships.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they stack, if you do the +4 prod on each tier, and +4 science and whatever on the last one (money? wont even matter anymore) all your systems will bring in insane value

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Do the bonuses from each colony development stage stack? Also if you want to play "colonize everything asap" the unfallen work really well for that. Even without trying to get peace pacts and stuff, you have a really high growth rate and some extra happiness bonuses, and not having to build colony ships lets you build more improvements/ships.

I can confirm they don't. Ideally I guess you're supposed to tailor your stages to what your situation at the time demands; for example, as UE I would pick food for the first upgrade, production and influence for the second, and double up on influence + 1 slot for production for the third.

Davincie posted:

they stack, if you do the +4 prod on each tier, and +4 science and whatever on the last one (money? wont even matter anymore) all your systems will bring in insane value

Well poo poo. I don't know what to believe any more. I do remember checking between upgrade stages and observing they weren't stacking.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysdexic
Jan 3, 2008
What time is it? It's about Lunch o' clock
What's your approach to techs in this game? Do you pick and choose colonization techs based on the planets around you? What ship upgrades are good to get? Alot of techs seem pretty narrow, like adds FIDS based on anomalies. I don't want to research stuff I don't need due to the increasing science requirement based on how many techs you have gone through.