Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sentinel Red posted:

So you are sticking aroud then, teagone? That ridiculous hissy fit you had in the CD thread made it sound like you weren't going to 'bless' the oh-so-mean-and-terrible BSS folks with your august presence again. Despite, y'know, both forums having about 75% of the same darn posters and with largely the same outlook on things.

Knock that off. I don't know if they let people whine about what goes on in other threads in CD or not but we're not going to do that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Sentinel Red posted:

So you are sticking aroud then, teagone? That ridiculous hissy fit you had in the CD thread made it sound like you weren't going to 'bless' the oh-so-mean-and-terrible BSS folks with your august presence again. Despite, y'know, both forums having about 75% of the same darn posters and with largely the same outlook on things.

What are you, twelve?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

X-O posted:

Knock that off. I don't know if they let people whine about what goes on in other threads in CD or not but we're not going to do that here.

Different tariffs on Importing Drama

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

zoux posted:

New Valerian trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8oVfkZM3pA

I gotta say, this movie is gonna be some spectacle.

I kind of feel like this is a misfire, especially as their final push trailer?

The second trailer took me from having Jupiter Ascending vibes to looking forward to the movie, but this final trailer plays more like a VFX reel than something that makes me want to see it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Rhyno posted:

My friend is watching WW right now, she was hyped as gently caress waiting in line.

Back to Snyder

http://www.screengeek.net/2017/05/23/mocking-zack-snyder-tragedy-makes-you-a-piece-of-poo poo/

Also the MoS trailer #3 owned so loving hard.

That article was good for calling out poo poo heads celebrating a mans tragedy, but his comment at the end about how "Zack Snyder took Aquaman from this *shows picture of old Super Friends Aquaman* to this absolute badass *shows still image from unreleased movie*" was pretty dumb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People who want Aquaman to be "badass" are the real monsters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Any portrayals of Aquaman should just lean into the goofiness. Have the confidence to do the character justice without worrying about mainstream reaction. Don't turn him into some kind of generic Thor-type tough guy.

Basically just do Brave and The Bold Aquaman.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure how I feel about the high tech costume part of it - and really the costume in general. You can't see the web lines on it. ASM2 really nailed the suit. From what I've seen so far, I'm fairly pessimistic overall about this film but Keaton vulture looks like he's going to be great. Keaton's always great.

I get what you're saying. For me, I started to feel less excited about the costume since the chest-emblem drone thing, and now we see that it has an Iron Man style UI and a parachute? I liked when at the end of Civil War they hinted that the web shooters would be high-tech with apps, but I'm starting to feel like it may be a tad too much tech in that suit.

And yeah, I do get that it's a Stark(tm) made suit. :spidey:

Anyway, I already have my ticket to go see Wonder Woman opening night here in Mexico. I feel like it'll turn out great. :allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

People who want Aquaman to be "badass" are the real monsters.

It worked fine in the DCAU, but I think the key there was making him a recurring character rather than a regular member of the team. It saved them from having to come up with convoluted reasons for why he was around and why his (fairly specific) powerset was useful.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One thing I really like about Aquaman from the trailer is that they've enjoyed that from his perspective, these surface dwellers are the weirdos. They have a requisite "he talks to fish" joke, but at the same time he sees Batman and remarks "A guy who dresses aa Bay? Ok, I can dig it". Cause yeah, dressing as a bat is just as loving weird and useful as talking to fish.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I totally disagree, making Aquaman a "badass" and then making jokes about how he "talks to fish" is pretty much the lamest thing ever.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Don't turn him into some kind of generic Thor-type tough guy.

I don't disagree with your point, but Thor in the MCU is pretty much a gigantic goofus outside of fight scenes and dramatic climaxes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Now I just wanna see Jason Momoa's tough guy Aquaman combined with Super Friends Aquaman, and knowing that's not gonna be the case makes Justice League a failure.

Seriously, who WOULDN'T wanna see this scene in the movie?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 25, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They are probably aiming for the Peter David "Conan under the sea" Aquaman, which I liked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

They are probably aiming for the Peter David "Conan under the sea" Aquaman, which I liked.

That's exactly what they're doing. They've been describing it as a sword and sorcery movie.

But I mean it's not really making Aquaman a badass. It's not like he's normally the goofy cartoon guy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really love the current Aquaman comic. There's a King Arthur element to it, but it's more about him trying to make peace between the two nation's he identifies with while both nations and corporate interests have strong factions vying for war, and him having to stop both of them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm really into this sort of God of Surfers Aquaman he seems like from the trailer. He seems like a cool dude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeed/status/867829509353066498

Love the Drafthouse.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As long as it's people who self identify as women and they aren't turning away transwomen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Apologies, gentlemen, but we’re embracing our girl power and saying “No Guys Allowed” for one special night at the Alamo Ritz. And when we say “People Who Identify As Women Only,” we mean it. Everyone working at this screening -- venue staff, projectionist, and culinary team -- will be female."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That sounds like I'd be fun!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just want to know when the comic book movie industry is going to start catering to men!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Great!

Though really it's just a marketing stunt, still cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

edit

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Great!

Though really it's just a marketing stunt, still cool.

Alamo is spreading around the country but if you've never been to one, they do poo poo like this all the time. They do special matinees for moms to bring young kids to where they keep the lights up and let the kids run around, they have sing alongs for musicals and quote alongs for cult movies, dance alongs for dance movies. So it's not so much a marketing stunt as an extension of what they do all the time. A lot of dine-in theaters are springing up that use the food-drinks-and-movie business model, but Alamos really work to have special events that enhance the experience and give you a reason to spend a poo poo load of money for the movie theater rather than just wait for it to come out on video. At least the Austin ones are, I dunno if the ones they've opened elsewhere are as counter-culture-y as the originals.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't know how it'll be enforceable. The "people who identify as women" clause just means there will probably be a lot of guys slapping on wigs and miniskirts to get in. Although, that, in and of itself, sounds like fun.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well it's no Kiss From a Rose, but I'm certainly not averse to DC films rediscovering their power ballad roots.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I don't know how it'll be enforceable. The "people who identify as women" clause just means there will probably be a lot of guys slapping on wigs and miniskirts to get in. Although, that, in and of itself, sounds like fun.

Alamo doesn't put up with bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

zoux posted:

I just want to know when the comic book movie industry is going to start catering to men!

I demand to know why the comic industry isn't catering more towards White men in their 30s and 40s!!!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They can have an all-male screening of the Nathan Fillion Wonder Man movie in 2021 if they're that desperate to marinate in beer farts for 2 hours.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
What I've seen from film Aquaman so far makes me think he's secretly Lobo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BrianWilly posted:

Well it's no Kiss From a Rose, but I'm certainly not averse to DC films rediscovering their power ballad roots.

Yes, I quite like this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the dividing line between Aquaman being a good "badass" character and Aquaman being a bad "badass" character.

I know people like the Peter David Aquaman and Grant Morrison Aquaman and the DCAU Aquaman, who all go out of their way to try and "redeem" the character, but most people find the scowly "I don't talk to fish :mad:" Aquaman very aggravating. What sets the two apart?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the dividing line between Aquaman being a good "badass" character and Aquaman being a bad "badass" character.

I know people like the Peter David Aquaman and Grant Morrison Aquaman and the DCAU Aquaman, who all go out of their way to try and "redeem" the character, but most people find the scowly "I don't talk to fish :mad:" Aquaman very aggravating. What sets the two apart?

The badass Aquaman isn't self-conscious and uncomfortable. He's an action hero who isn't ashamed of being an action hero and just is portrayed as a hero without acting like it's something that needs to be explained. The scowly "I don't talk.. TO FISH" Aquaman is trying super hard to be a badass and trying too hard is never really badass.

It's the difference between someone being cool despite having potentially silly elements and someone INSISTING they're cool despite those silly elements. The latter is just sad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The better Aquamans do not call attention to the fact that he is "Aquaman". At the minute you acknowledge that the character is a joke, it's over. No matter how hard you work to fight against that, you've already admitted to me that nobody cares.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aquaman doesn't talk to fish. He telepathically mind rapes them like Kilgrave.

We should not be celebrating this man. Fish have feelings too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He doesn't telepathically control them, he's like the Captain America of fish. They willingly obey him and he can command gods because of his charisma.

If those gods are fish

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You know that bit in Morrison's JLA where Aquaman isolates the part of the alien's brains that are descended from marine life and uses it to give him an aneurysm? The movie Aquaman can do that but he just makes everyone lowkey want to gently caress him

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ojjeorago posted:

They can have an all-male screening of the Nathan Fillion Wonder Man movie in 2021 if they're that desperate to marinate in beer farts for 2 hours.

Lol okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

You know that bit in Morrison's JLA where Aquaman isolates the part of the alien's brains that are descended from marine life and uses it to give him an aneurysm? The movie Aquaman can do that but he just makes everyone lowkey want to gently caress him

From what I understand that also works on those watching the film.

• Locked thread