Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i find it quite surprising that konami is tossing any amount of cash at all into making a castlevania cartoon since it can't sell them more pachinko machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CJacobs posted:

It's an offshoot of Games Done Quick hosted by people who dislike that it has become more politically correct. 'Sterile' is how they describe it to avoid saying 'You can't say bad words and racist stuff and I wanna'

So basically, the speedrun equivalent of those SA offsites that are full of bitter banned users.
It's interesting how people like this are never anywhere near as funny or entertaining as they seem to believe they are.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who's the funniest speedrunner?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoX43tebnwg

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

gonna be honest, if they're not Big Jon I don't really give a poo poo who they are

this guy too I guess, that Jak & Daxter run was incredible
vvvvvvv

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 26, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jay Rust posted:

PJ DiCesare.

e: Also Bonesaw, this was the funniest run in a long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQmMR8lueA

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It was a rhetorical question...

Here's a real one:

What's GotM May 2017? I haven't played any new releases

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I love PJ and his soothing camp voice

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i find it quite surprising that konami is tossing any amount of cash at all into making a castlevania cartoon since it can't sell them more pachinko machines

The project is almost a decade old. They probably threw their money at it long before their "gently caress making video games" phase started and don't care if it makes them money or flops at this point.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jay Rust posted:

Here's a real one:

Prey, I guess. I haven't played any games that came out this month either.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

whoever recorded this video that im always looking for excuses to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tyMXXDPX4

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hi folks,

I wanted to do some streaming tonight, but I cannot, for a few reasons, so instead, I am watching the Aziz Ansari show, which I think is pretty good, and sipping some gin I've been keeping in the freezer for summer drinks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The trailer should have been a blank screen since they didn't push the cartridge down.

You can tighten the contacts so that you don't have to push down.

Cowcaster posted:

Don't be silly, now they have clips to splice into a pachinko machine.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bicyclops posted:

Hi folks,

I wanted to do some streaming tonight, but I cannot, for a few reasons, so instead, I am watching the Aziz Ansari show, which I think is pretty good, and sipping some gin I've been keeping in the freezer for summer drinks.

Aziz Ansari show is pretty good, substance abuse is good, enjoy

also lollin' at Alteisan's twitter. I don't know why they still come here lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, I'm enjoying some lemon, goat cheese asparagus pasta and reading about video games. Life is okay.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Hi folks,

He's funny but...how fast can he beat skyrim

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Aziz Ansari show is pretty good, substance abuse is good, enjoy

Portions of it feel a little rough around the edges, but he's basically trying his best to be a non-disgusting Woody Allen, and I appreciate how hard is trying.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a reminder that Roblox is one of the most popular games on PC because of kids

GamesIndustry.biz posted:

Today, Roblox is available on mobile, console, PC and in virtual reality, attracting more than 48 million active players every month, and surpassing 1 million concurrent users at peak times.

To put that in context, Minecraft only passed 40 million monthly active players in June 2016; at last count, in February this year, it had reached 55 million.

With Roblox, creators are able to monetise their talent, and earn money from the content and characters they add to the world. Even back in September 2015, when we last spoke to Roblox, the money paid out to users was far from trivial: $100,000 a year for the most popular creators. Now, though, much like the explosion in players, the revenue earned by the Roblox community is enough to sustain "professional development studios." In 2017, Baszucki says, the best developers will surpass $1 million in annual revenue, "cashing out at about $140,000 a month."

Work at a Pizza Place, for example, is one of the most popular experiences on the entire platform, having been visited more than 400 million times. It now has a line of physical toys based on its characters, and Baszucki "can see us doing that in other industries besides toys."
it's a Minecrafty thing where you make your own games in it. it looks like poo poo and it's super popular because I guess kids had to go somewhere when club penguin died

my nephews and nieces are into it and it looks like a trash Second Life but if Second Life was popular with not just fetish communities

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 26, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

He's funny but...how fast can he beat skyrim

Aziz Ansari: Nooooo! The dragon broke right through my defensive shieeld! He ate my fingy-foos!
Me: Sorry, I couldn't hear you while I invisibly did 15x sneak attacks that OHKO's everything in the game.
Axiz: He's cheaaaaatinnnnng!!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dang, I remember roblox as that thing with an inexplicably large number of YouTube videos as s kid

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mak0rz posted:

Alan Wake

I finally caught the first four episodes of new Twin Peaks, it's really cool that they let Sam Lake cameo in it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Let me just say that I thought this guy was dumb too and I had a similar reaction to yours and the game pays it off

The idea that just because a character in a work of fiction says something that doesn't mean it's what the creators of said work of fiction actually think or supposed to be correct is something that is shockingly difficult for a lot of people to understand considering how fundamental it is to any kind of storytelling.

Bicyclops posted:

Portions of it feel a little rough around the edges, but he's basically trying his best to be a non-disgusting Woody Allen, and I appreciate how hard is trying.

The last time a comedian tried to be non-disgusting Woody Allen it was Louis CK, hopefully Aziz Ansari is also a non-disgusting Louis CK too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Leslie: I'm just disgusted by these Imperials, Ron! They've never been to Honningbrew Meadery! They stomped on my photo of Ulfric Stormcloak!
Ron: *in Wolf Armor, raising Cyrodiliic Brandy, chomping into a honey nut treat* Lesie, why would anyone go to the meadery when they could purchase alcohol for Tiberius-honest Septims at The Bannered Mare? Let the Ulfric government fall. *looking at camera* The only thing worse is those Elves. *camera zooms in* I hate the Dunmer.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

iirc the whole pachinko business a bunch of game companies jumped on turned out to be a lot nastier to try and profit off of than they expected, which is why snk pulled a complete 180 back to video games, and i think konami got hit a bit by it too so they've been taking some glances back at doing other things with their ips that will get them money than just stuffing them in gambling machines

the whole aftershock is kind of freaky if snk is anything to go by since i remember the director of kof14 saying he basically had to train a whole team from the ground up in making it because everything at the company was so shaky and weird

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 26, 2017

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad I wasn't the only person to think he looked kinda like Sam Lake haha.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Here's a real one:

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2. Also Ys Origin is coming out on another platform on the 30th. The most important platform, the Vita

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Anne: :sigh: Okay. Okay... What we'll do it just... we'll gather up all the waffles. We kinda just can't, y'know, blast em with AEO . I'm gonna need to Crhist to run interference, and Ben to do a second-rate Jim-looking-int the Camera. Uh…we’re gonna need Divine Intervention from Rob Lowe, uh so he can bring up ratings Jerry, can you give me a number crunch quick?
Jerry: Oh, sure, absolutely, gimme a sec… I’m coming up with thirty-two point three three , heh, repeating of course...
April: :rolleyes: Well that's better than-
Andy: Alright, let's go!! BUUUUUUUUUUUUUURT MACKLIIIIIIIIIIIIN!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

suuma posted:

Personally I'm looking forward to shooting all of the white people

Congratulations, you just got hired to write for RPS

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

so this is where he went after the evil within...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Erata posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only person to think he looked kinda like Sam Lake haha.

I know it's just a coincidence considering the circumstances behind it being in the show* but I liked to imagine that the tree thing was a homage to Deadly Premonition.

*The actor who played the dancing dwarf in the original show wasn't allowed to return for S3 because he went nuts and in between flurries of Trump bullshit on Facebook accused David Lynch of raping his daughter and murdering Jack Nance's wife and that Twin Peaks was based on that. So he replaces with an electric brain tree that makes jello noises,

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Congratulations, you just got hired to write for RPS

I do love that the response from the games industry to years of crazy assholes calling them SJW cucks and doxxing their workplaces is to double down and go out of their way to explicitly make games about women and minorities killing right wing crazies. Same with how thinkpieces are a guaranteed way for games journalism sites to get clicks from all the people they criticize hate-reading them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Bicyclops posted:

Leslie: I'm just disgusted by these Imperials, Ron! They've never been to Honningbrew Meadery! They stomped on my photo of Ulfric Stormcloak!
Ron: *in Wolf Armor, raising Cyrodiliic Brandy, chomping into a honey nut treat* Lesie, why would anyone go to the meadery when they could purchase alcohol for Tiberius-honest Septims at The Bannered Mare? Let the Ulfric government fall. *looking at camera* The only thing worse is those Elves. *camera zooms in* I hate the Dunmer.

tom, cut away: i call the werewolves guild, shaggy boys. dwarves are golden oldies, and whiterun is tommy's closet

tom, in scene: i missed a call from akatosh !!

tom, cut away: also known as the old smaug himself :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oddium posted:

tom, cut away: i call the werewolves guild, shaggy boys. dwarves are golden oldies, and whiterun is tommy's closet

tom, in scene: i missed a call from akatosh !!

tom, cut away: also known as the old smaug himself :)

Ron, fake smiling: I don't abide the Radiant Raiment, but you look like you might. *in pain* I hear the Radiant Raiments has a huge selection.

*aziz ansari does that wide smiling face*

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

it's a Minecrafty thing where you make your own games in it. it looks like poo poo and it's super popular because I guess kids had to go somewhere when club penguin died

my nephews and nieces are into it and it looks like a trash Second Life but if Second Life was popular with not just fetish communities

Isn't Second Life super profitable not for the company behind it but like, the people who make bucks off of fake rabbits and fake rabbit food? And there was that whole story a few days ago about trade embargo or something and now the rabbits are gonna go into an endless hibernation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think it's okay if trash creative games are popular with children, honestly, like I loved Mario Paint back in the day.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm watching this and good stuff, as usual. How is The Surge? It came out then I haven't heard much of anything about it but I haven't actively looked for anything about it. Usually if a game is good I'll eventually hear about it somewhere in Games, like Prey. I went from it barely registering on my radar to instant buy after seeing people gushing about it. Was not disappointed either.

It's okay. Solid 6.5 Dark Souls clone. It feels really good, graphics are okay,combat system is fleshed out and well realized. They pretty much failed to make the game actually compelling or interesting or not have the back half really show the limits of their time in terms of level design or keeping up enemy variety.

Don't buy at full price.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Mordja posted:

Huh, sounds like the original Prey 2 would have had a neat little plot twist.

Basically every time you die and respawn at your safehouse, you're actually an unwitting clone of the main character, not the same dude brought back to life. Somehow it relates to the protag from the first Prey, not sure how. The game ends with you escaping back to earth, settling down, growing old and passing away peacefully. Then you "spawn" again in that same safehouse.

So it was almost SOMA.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

My kids have been into roblox for a couple of years. I think I hate it more than Minecraft now. It's kinda like Project Spark, if anyone gave a poo poo about Project Spark (including the creators who apparently couldn't be arsed to give it an actual name).
Seems very moddable and has the potential for making cool stuff, but going by what my kids play it's nothing but lovely memes and copyright-infringed material.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 26, 2017

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Cowcaster posted:

Konami likes to use licenses (sports and anime) and time promotions around major events, such as a major baseball game or the release of a new anime. They said they wanted their internal brands to have cross media appeal and synergize as well as their licenced brands.

The Colonel posted:

iirc the whole pachinko business a bunch of game companies jumped on turned out to be a lot nastier to try and profit off of than they expected, which is why snk pulled a complete 180 back to video games, and i think konami got hit a bit by it too so they've been taking some glances back at doing other things with their ips that will get them money than just stuffing them in gambling machines

the whole aftershock is kind of freaky if snk is anything to go by since i remember the director of kof14 saying he basically had to train a whole team from the ground up in making it because everything at the company was so shaky and weird

Konami's stock price hit a record peak this year. They have well diversified business that performs strong in all market conditions. Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links is a hit on mobile along with their baseball games. Super Bomberman R sold 500K at $60. Better gambling reputations and growth in SEA markets will help their gambling division. Fitness and health is an evergreen business. They don't have to pay Hideo Kojima's bills anymore.

In fact, Konami's market cap is higher than than of Square-Enix. AAA gaming and mid-tier gaming has a much worse risk to margin ratio when compared to pachinko and mobile gaming. Konami is very good at identifying trends/opportunities, committing to a plan, and executing it well. In short, they're the complete opposite of Capcom.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Licensing stuff is pretty profitable if you don't care about anything but like, Pachinko machine profits.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RzfUwTN3iw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Bicyclops posted:

Licensing stuff is pretty profitable if you don't care about anything but like, Pachinko machine profits.

This is why there's Pahps for almost every single loving IP in existence.

• Locked thread