Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
From the "Why are you guys still watching baseball this season? LOL M's" division of trivia:

According to baseball reference, last night's M's starter Christian "who?" Bergman put of the 2nd worst game score in Mariner's history with a -8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

That feeling of bailing off the plate only to have it whizz in for a strike is demoralizing

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/thejaysnation/status/867484594865557505

And both Donaldson and Tulo are back tomorrow.

Some of you might be thinking, but where will Ryan Goins play, My hope is Buffalo.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I liked this article about Walking Mike Trout.

It reminded me of some thing I think I saw on here where if you had Ruth/Bonds/Williams/whoever in a lineup of replacement players if it'd make sense to walk them every time.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

There is no reason at all to pitch to Trout

The Angels aren't even fielding a person at catcher today. Graterol? Sounds like someone dropped their prescription pills at home plate and they just went with it.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 25, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bewbies posted:

I liked this article about Walking Mike Trout.

It reminded me of some thing I think I saw on here where if you had Ruth/Bonds/Williams/whoever in a lineup of replacement players if it'd make sense to walk them every time.

Holy poo poo Mike Trout is as charismatic as a wet napkin

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Paul Zuvella posted:

I love my baseballing robot.

The rest of the Angels are so much worse than Trout it is insane. Everyone is underperforming their career-worst seasons by large margins. Their 4 best starting pitchers are lost to season ending injuries and their 4 best relief pitchers are also on the disabled list with no time tables for their return. They're paying Hamilton $30M dollars this year and he hasn't been on the team in 3 years and is out of baseball. They're still 25-24 on the season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just imagine if the Angels had competent ownerhsip

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

Just imagine if the Angels had competent ownerhsip

I spend long nights staying up thinking about this.

I also wake up in a cold sweat after dreaming about Vernon Wells trying to track down a Mike Napoli home run.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Paul Zuvella posted:

mike trout remembers eating superpretzel brand soft pretzels as a kid. mike trout endorses this product.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

:siren: ATTENTION: CHICAGOONS :siren:

I don't want to keep clogging up the N/V thread with this stuff, so I'm just going to post it once. Once I get all the SAS Chicagoons' cell numbers, I won't need to post here to advertise anymore. :v:

We're having another meetup this Sunday (May 28) at noon at Links Taproom in Wicker Park. We've currently got myself, Poque, Popete, Explosionface, and Joey Freshwater attending, with Pancakes tentatively attending. If you want to join us, either PM me for my cell number or just show up at Links at noon on Sunday and you'll be able to identify Poque by his giant sparkling World Series ring. :swoon:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ring may be covered in beer cheese soup, use as identifier at your own risk

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Ring may be covered in beer cheese soup, use as identifier at your own risk

Alternatively here is a picture of Poque.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:siren: ATTENTION: CHICAGOONS :siren:

I don't want to keep clogging up the N/V thread with this stuff, so I'm just going to post it once. Once I get all the SAS Chicagoons' cell numbers, I won't need to post here to advertise anymore. :v:

We're having another meetup this Sunday (May 28) at noon at Links Taproom in Wicker Park. We've currently got myself, Poque, Popete, Explosionface, and Joey Freshwater attending, with Pancakes tentatively attending. If you want to join us, either PM me for my cell number or just show up at Links at noon on Sunday and you'll be able to identify Poque by his giant sparkling World Series ring. :swoon:

I will only be there in spirit but that place is a good bar, so you should all go.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

saw this on Mets twitter today trying to get people to write in Conforto for the ASG

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Waffles Inc. posted:

saw this on Mets twitter today trying to get people to write in Conforto for the ASG

I mean, he should be a write-in for the ASG, but mainly because the Mets left him off the ballot (Jose Reyes is on there, though!) because they're beyond poo poo-tier as an organization.

There's also a lot of Judge comps floating around on Twitter for the same reason, with a side of whining about the biased NY media for ignoring him.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, he should be a write-in for the ASG, but mainly because the Mets left him off the ballot (Jose Reyes is on there, though!) because they're beyond poo poo-tier as an organization.

There's also a lot of Judge comps floating around on Twitter for the same reason, with a side of whining about the biased NY media for ignoring him.

Is that how it works? The teams put forth players to nominate?

Goddamn our FO is such a garbage fire; Mikey could be the position player face of this team for fucks sake. Guh.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Waffles Inc. posted:

Is that how it works? The teams put forth players to nominate?

Goddamn our FO is such a garbage fire; Mikey could be the position player face of this team for fucks sake. Guh.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that's how it works. In their defense, it seems like MLB solicited the ballot members really, really early, potentially before it became clear Conforto was going to be anything more than a bench player.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They definitely solicit ASG nominations before the season even begins. Andre Ethier is on the ballot despite being on the DL since spring training and currently having no timetable for return.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Colby Rasmus is on the Rays ballot and he didn't play a game until this week.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

They definitely solicit ASG nominations before the season even begins. Andre Ethier is on the ballot despite being on the DL since spring training and currently having no timetable for return.

God that's dumb as hell. I knew it was really early because there are a ton of "no timetable" people in the ballots, but I didn't realize it was that early.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Its extra stupid since the whole thing is online-only now, it would be trivial to you know, adjust the ballot as the season progresses. How hard would it be to replace Ethier with Bellinger now, for example?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Before the season started no-one though Conforto was going to be an everyday player, let alone a top 5 OF in baseball. There were even some people (me included, my bad) who were calling for him to start this year at Triple A.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/thejaysnation/status/867484594865557505

And both Donaldson and Tulo are back tomorrow.

Some of you might be thinking, but where will Ryan Goins play, My hope is Buffalo.

Give him the occasional 2B when Travis needs a day off, the occasional LF when Carrera needs a day off, swap Barney in as needed... I mean with Pearce and now Alford both out there's still some holes to fill and not a lot of options.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Whoa what year is it

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Why even bother having NL teams vote, it's going to be all Cubs and then every other team just gets one token rando

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Why even bother having NL teams vote, it's going to be all Cubs and then every other team just gets one token rando

Looking forward to the lone 2017 All-Star from the Cardinals, Mike Leake.

Seriously though, dude's having a pretty great year.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Why? He's an above-average utility infielder, he's more than earned a place on the bench with Barney.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

If he keeps his pace up Schwarber will be down to a double digit average by the time he gets to be the starting NL all star LF. :v:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Who's everybody's bad team token for the ASG? With the Braves, Freddie's hurt, Julio kinda sucks. Ender? Don't laugh -- Tyler Flowers?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Who's everybody's bad team token for the ASG? With the Braves, Freddie's hurt, Julio kinda sucks. Ender? Don't laugh -- Tyler Flowers?

Matt Kemp? If not him probably Ender.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Matt Kemp? If not him probably Ender.

Kemp, Inciarte, Markakis, or Phillips all stand a chance in that order.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I dunno for my team.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

shadok posted:

Why? He's an above-average utility infielder, he's more than earned a place on the bench with Barney.

He definitely is not an above average player or utility player or whatever. He's an average defender with no bat.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

God how dare you

Edit: I say Javy with dark horse Almora as runner up

excuse me I need to change my answer

https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/867863880772575232

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Who is that

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

humpthewind posted:

Who is that

CJ Edwards.

He's also solid at doing the worm.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I didn't think it was possible for Stringbean to get any cooler.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The full team in all their glory:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/867915555877015552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Well now we know what it takes to get The Professor to smile.

• Locked thread