Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GoldfishStew posted:

I can't get over how wasted mantis was. Even her creator spoke up about this. Only there to highlight a mans feelings. Sad.

The creator said he really liked the film version, but complained that she was completely different from the character he created.

EDIT: Just re-read the article. He really liked the film, not Mantis. My mistake. I disagree with his complaints, though.

EDIT2: Wait, I read more of the article, he said he did enjoy the film Mantis, he just didn't consider her Mantis. This guy is all over the place.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Comic book Mantis is all kinds of bad so changing her is probably for the better.

I do agree they didn't do much with her though, hope they will in the sequel.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 25, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They were waiting for the ship to be repaired. That is correct. It was in the plot.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Yeah I'm saying I felt that way the whole movie. Waiting for something interesting to happen.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh I see. I was interested. Lots was going on. Did the gsmora nebula story not work for you ? For example .

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Phylodox posted:

The creator said he really liked the film version, but complained that she was completely different from the character he created.

EDIT: Just re-read the article. He really liked the film, not Mantis. My mistake. I disagree with his complaints, though.

EDIT2: Wait, I read more of the article, he said he did enjoy the film Mantis, he just didn't consider her Mantis. This guy is all over the place.

Most of them are pretty different, honestly. Mantis is more different than most of the others besides Yondu, but it seems like they had a lot of leeway for the movie to do more or less whatever they wanted. The comics did pretty much the same thing, since they were recycling a bunch of obscure '70s and '80s characters.

Movie Star-Lord honestly feels closer to that last one than he did in the Guardians comics.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Can someone explain to me the deal with Adam Warlock? I was hoping pop culture osmosis and copious podcast listening would've covered all of this by now, but I'm still in the dark. Impossible to tell the minutia from the cultural impact, or the debut to the general status on Wikis. I know he's a comics thing, but I can't figure out if they're setting him up to be a hero or a villain or join the Avengers or...I mean what does he have to do with those mean sexy gold people?

Also hope this isn't too much of a derail, but has BravestoftheLamps done some kind of megapost on Man Of Steel or anything? I can't help but be legit curious why Literary Analysis Man keeps positively contrasting it to this movie when I remember it being the prime example of a big, dumb, empty popcorn comic-book movie.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Adam Warlock is what you actually get when you write comics while high as a loving kite on LSD.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If they do include Adam Warlock in the MCU he'll probably only be tangentially related to the comic book character, so his comic book history is pretty immaterial to that. It looks like they're setting up a temporary-villain-then-face-turn situation. Beyond that, who knows?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Also hope this isn't too much of a derail, but has BravestoftheLamps done some kind of megapost on Man Of Steel or anything? I can't help but be legit curious why Literary Analysis Man keeps positively contrasting it to this movie when I remember it being the prime example of a big, dumb, empty popcorn comic-book movie.

Look for SMG's posts instead.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
adam warlock is mostly nothing. In the comics he's a stupid golden space wizard that humans made that has a magic space gem. He didn't really do anything that interesting till the big infinity gems story where it turned out magic space gems were super important and this nobody character actually had had one all along. So he ended up mixed up in a lot of the plot points about infinity stone stuff either because he knows some useful fact about them or because of whatever "connection" need that he has to the soul gem.

In the movie he probably doesn't have anything to do with the soul stone. So that probably cements him as a pretty pointless character.

Literally everything he did will probably get pushed onto "the vision" since the mind stone and the soul stone are pretty interchangeable and the vision can have all the "linked to a stone" stuff in an established character.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 25, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wasn't he made by a bunch of space Eugenicists to be the ultimate space Ubermensch but when he hatched, he basically went 'nah man, I don't want to be space Hitler' and just flew off to find meaning in the universe and was kind of some philosophical space dalai lama?

Then he got the soul gem and things got real weird, because his arch-enemy turned out to be a future version of himself that went mad because of the soul gem and of my god what the Hell 70s Marvel space comics. I'm guessing his plot importance will boil down to 'Hi guys, I have one of these gems you all want so much'.

Speaking of space characters, I kind of want Marvel to double down and make a movie based on the mid-2000s Annihilation storyline. You think Marvel movie viewers are confused about space characters now, oh boy, just wait. So the Guardians, Nebula, Ronan and Korath (both back from the dead somehow), Thanos, Nova, Galactus, Silver Surfer everybody's got the basics on those guys at least so far. But it crammed pretty much every goddamn space guy possible into the cross-over. Super Skrull. Moondragon. Lady Captain Marvel (not Carol Danvers). Quasar. Stellaris. Glorian. Galactus gets six of his former heralds on the horn to jump in the action too.

Quite frankly it's too many goddamn space guys. That's why it needs to happen. Every movie ticket will hopefully come with a thirty-page character pamphlet, or youtube would be flooded with day one reaction videos 'WHO THE gently caress IS AIR-WALKER?!'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 25, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wasn't he made by a bunch of space Eugenicists to be the ultimate space Ubermensch but when he hatched, he basically went 'nah man, I don't want to be space Hitler' and just flew off to find meaning in the universe and was kind of some philosophical space dalai lama?

Then he got the soul gem and things got real weird, because his arch-enemy turned out to be a future version of himself that went mad because of the soul gem and of my god what the Hell 70s Marvel space comics. I'm guessing his plot importance will boil down to 'Hi guys, I have one of these gems you all want so much'.

Speaking of space characters, I kind of want Marvel to double down and make a movie based on the mid-2000s Annihilation storyline. You think Marvel movie viewers are confused about space characters now, oh boy, just wait. So the Guardians, Nebula, Ronan and Korath (both back from the dead somehow), Thanos, Nova, Galactus, Silver Surfer everybody's got the basics on those guys at least so far. But it crammed pretty much every goddamn space guy possible into the cross-over. Super Skrull. Moondragon. Lady Captain Marvel (not Carol Danvers). Quasar. Stellaris. Glorian. Galactus gets six of his former heralds on the horn to jump in the action too.

Quite frankly it's too many goddamn space guys. That's why it needs to happen. Every movie ticket will hopefully come with a thirty-page character pamphlet, or youtube would be flooded with day one reaction videos 'WHO THE gently caress IS AIR-WALKER?!'
Unfortunately a lot of the things in the Annihilation storyline is owned by Fox

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

achillesforever6 posted:

Unfortunately a lot of the things in the Annihilation storyline is owned by Fox

A girl can dream about an extremely bloated space war full of too many niche characters to count though... :unsmith:

(I know I'll never see the Super Skrull in a movie)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Fox can keep the X-Men, just please give back the Fantastic Four stuff. We really want Luke Cage second Netflix season to be about the time that Dr. Doom stiffed Luke Cage.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gyges posted:

Fox can keep the X-Men, just please give back the Fantastic Four stuff. We really want Luke Cage second Netflix season to be about the time that Dr. Doom stiffed Luke Cage.

They can sub in Thanos, instead. Make Luke's odyssey interstellar instead of just international.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LadyPictureShow posted:

I bet he doesn't even get a gem. GotG already got to debut one of them, thor, spiderman or black panther seem like they will get one for a movie.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

With the speed at which Gunn has been subverting expectations I could see Adam going after the Guardians but turning into a non threat almost immediately. Like the new kid at school whose goes to beat up a bully but almost immediately realizes that the kid he thought was a bully is having a lot of fun and is really cool.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

With the speed at which Gunn has been subverting expectations I could see Adam going after the Guardians but turning into a non threat almost immediately. Like the new kid at school whose goes to beat up a bully but almost immediately realizes that the kid he thought was a bully is having a lot of fun and is really cool.

Some heroes fighting and then teaming up once they realize they're on the same side wouldn't exactly be subverting expectations in the MCU.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Adam from the DNA run was more just a Space Wizard who was kinda zen. I'd expect that they'd do something with Magus in the third one, maybe something like Ayesha messed up and created two different beings. Adam and the Magus.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
GotG3 would be out after infinity wars part one and part two, if they want to have adam warlock show up at all in the actual story he's even remotely known for they'll have to have pretty much his whole story arc completed before GotG3.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Guardians 3 almost looks like it wouldn't​ have the regular guardians but instead the awful Stallonians we saw. That would suck.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Guardians 3 almost looks like it wouldn't​ have the regular guardians but instead the awful Stallonians we saw. That would suck.

What? No. It did look like primo spin-off material, though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

evilmiera posted:

How would Sylvester Stallone, Michelle Yeoh, Vingh Rhames, Michael Rosenbaum, and Miley Cyrus as an annoying Cyberman head suck? That sounds fantastic. Throw in Schwarzenegger as the villain and you've got a sci-fi version of what The Expendables should have been. Have it be Marvel's first foray into soft-R rated territory and it'd be perfect.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilmiera posted:

Gamora and drax end up as guardians of stones if I remember correctly so could be gone after infinity wars. Although I doubt they will stick to that sort of stuff.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

GoldfishStew posted:

Yeah that's definitely what I was saying.

The villain from the original ghostbusters is a good example of someone who felt powerful. Even the villain from the first guardians felt more dangerous than Ego.

Ronan didn't really feel dangerous though? I mean, yeah, they set it up that way similar to how they set up Ego, but he mostly watched as others carried out what he wanted. His only real actions were killing Thanos' spokesman, fighting Drax, and destroying the Nova net. Otherwise, he got distracted from his goal of destroying Nova Prime by... a humming/singing Starlord. (and even then, his whole anger at Nova was because his people signed a peace treaty with them...). Which isn't to say that I didn't like him, but they spent the entire movie building him up as the villain, while they spent over half of Vol. 2 trying to walk a line between showing Ego as the father Peter is missing, while also setting up the disappointment of him being bad.

But it's pretty amusing that you consider Gozer to be a good example of a villain feeling "powerful", when the penultimate battle was Gozer-as-the-Stay Puft Marshmallow Man getting s'mored via proton packs.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I really like the second to last battle with Ronan with the ship crashing and groots sacrifice.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SourKraut posted:

Ronan didn't really feel dangerous though? I mean, yeah, they set it up that way similar to how they set up Ego, but he mostly watched as others carried out what he wanted. His only real actions were killing Thanos' spokesman, fighting Drax, and destroying the Nova net. Otherwise, he got distracted from his goal of destroying Nova Prime by... a humming/singing Starlord. (and even then, his whole anger at Nova was because his people signed a peace treaty with them...). Which isn't to say that I didn't like him, but they spent the entire movie building him up as the villain, while they spent over half of Vol. 2 trying to walk a line between showing Ego as the father Peter is missing, while also setting up the disappointment of him being bad.

But it's pretty amusing that you consider Gozer to be a good example of a villain feeling "powerful", when the penultimate battle was Gozer-as-the-Stay Puft Marshmallow Man getting s'mored via proton packs.

From the moment he appears on screen Ronan pretty clearly comes across as an angsty school shooter writ large, he's a petulant moron who's got hold of something dangerous and most people are pretty familiar with the type and how much trouble they can be, the whole 'blowing up planets' bit is just a thematic sci-fi spin on a story that wouldn't really read different if he was plotting to fly a 747 into the Twin Towers.

Ego, on the other hand, is presented as a literal space god with a plot to transform the whole universe into himself through secretly seeding the galaxy with mini-mes (what?) and performed by Kurt Russel as basically a small-time grifter. His real immediate danger in the movie is that he's going to indoctrinate Quill and make him just like him, and there's never much sense Quill's all that susceptible to his fast-talk; that fight begins and ends in about thirty seconds and after that it's all over but the special effects. He's both a less menacing presence and on paper a threat that pretty much comes off as superhero sound and fury with no weight behind it, no matter how high their in-universe power levels are or which would totally kick the rear end of the USS Enterprise.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 28, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
Ronan mercs some guy from Avengers to prove he's tough and five seconds later Thanos nails exactly why he isn't.

He does come off as dangerous, though, but precisely because he's a petulant child.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's definitely a petulant child aspect to Ronan, but I thought they managed to give him some depth by conveying his sense of loss and betrayal from his own people turning their backs on him. He's angry and crazy but he has a reason to be, he's not just having a tantrum like Loki or your generic power-tripping boy-king archetype. And his loss ties into Drax's and Peter's too, which helps make the whole movie feel like it's about something.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Also not only is he there but Thanos is loving scary, too. Plus you had Nebula who is a sicko and the woman who plays her is great.

I don't know. There is no battle scene as great in the second one to me as the one where Groot is grooting out and poo poo. That killing scene with Rocket and Yondu was not only sort of hosed up but also to close to the Quicksilver scene from X-Men to my liking.

I also didn't care for Stallone the more I look back on it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

There's definitely a petulant child aspect to Ronan, but I thought they managed to give him some depth by conveying his sense of loss and betrayal from his own people turning their backs on him. He's angry and crazy but he has a reason to be, he's not just having a tantrum like Loki or your generic power-tripping boy-king archetype. And his loss ties into Drax's and Peter's too, which helps make the whole movie feel like it's about something.

The moment he's introduced being made up and dressed, there's an awareness that he's just performing all of his anger. There's no visual component or context for his anger or loss, so his character is all talk despite his trappings.

Immortan Joe is of course a better version of the same character.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Immortan Joe is of course a better version of the same character.

........ Huh. That makes sense

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'd say Ronan is more focused on vengeance for the loss (which is a nationalistic one) whereas Joe is partly motivated by the loss of the child but also bent on regaining his "property".

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I would say either one is better than Your Dad Throwing CGI Rocks At You For Nine Hours While You Float Around In A Mostly Featureless Void.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I feel like comparing any given movie to Fury Road is a bit rude.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The last 30 minutes of Infinity War will be like the fight in the background of GotG2 intro + the Avengers brief "single tracking shot" bits but for one single half-hour tracking shot of Thanos wrecking 30 dudes in a row, like that scene in The Protector where Tony Jaa fights his way up the spiral hotel atrium.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Except way more cuts because it's the Russo brothers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Well yeah, but he nuked his creators on the way out the door. "Him" was initially a rather amoral being. In his next appearance he tried to rape Sif, because he got the idea that he wouldn't be a real person until he had a mate.

After getting his rear end kicked by Thor, he hooked up with the High Evolutionary, who gave him the name Warlock. That's when he went to Counter-Earth, became Adam Warlock, and sacrificed himself to become Space Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Him's initial actions were more that of a confused child than anything else. Imagine being born full-grown with near-infinite power, but no real knowledge.

Also the High Evolutionary is one of my favorite Marvel characters. He's usually kind of a gigantic prick, but it's only because he has a completely alien perspective on the world. He once evolved himself to the highest possible form of consciousness in the universe, and spent a while just exploring and learning, but soon realized the heat death of the universe would occur well before he could experience everything. So to give himself something to do that was challenging and that he couldn't immediately predict the outcome of, he de-evolved himself back into an rear end in a top hat in a purple suit and created a planet of animal people.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 30, 2017

• Locked thread