Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Supremezero posted:

Er, the voters aren't the problem here. The congressmen are. They're the ones who will freak out, not the voters about "Oh that guy almost won in Montana".

....What the gently caress does it matter if a congressman freaks out? I don't give a poo poo how my congressman feels, I just want him out of office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Silver lining here is if gianforte wins due to early voting we get to brand the Republicans as the Choke Slam Party and hopefully drive away people who think reporters shouldn't be assaulted, if there are any of those left.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not to sound ~Covokian~ here, but voters come 2018 won't care or care to remember what happened in another state, so using this as a benchmark for the ~growing tide of progressivism~ is *also* a bit premature.

you have a point, but it's less that people will remember montana and more an assumption that the shift in montana is present in the rest of the country as well

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not to sound ~Covokian~ here, but voters come 2018 won't care or care to remember what happened in another state, so using this as a benchmark for the ~growing tide of progressivism~ is *also* a bit premature.

Except that the majority of the swing has ALMOST nothing to do with what happened and mostly everything to do with the Republicans loving everything for themselves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Do you let people convicted of assault be politicians in America?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

I kind of figured emailing Young was a waste of time, but I did send both Sullivan and Murkowski emails. Only Murkowski replied though.

Murkowski is a good GOP Senator to call/email. She is pretty suspicious of AHCA

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

JBP posted:

its a misdemeanor and he won't be convicted he will pay a fine and as long as he doesn't assault someone else in 6-12 months the case will be dismissed

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

JBP posted:

Yes. Felons can't vote, but just about anyone can be elected. Even dead people.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

JBP posted:

The GOP will.

If Gianforte wins he's in. As I understand it, he's been charged with a misdemeanor he will likely simply pay his way out of jail for and expecting his colleagues in the house to vote to expel him for any reason, let alone picking on a Guardian reporter, is a frankly hilarious notion in the age of Trump and AHCA.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JBP posted:

Yes, and if we didn't, you'd find a lot more minority politicians getting convicted for assulting an officer.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

you have a point, but it's less that people will remember montana and more an assumption that the shift in montana is present in the rest of the country as well

It would be consistent with the other 3 races so far (CA-whatever, KS-03 and GA-06) and 4 points is probably enough to conclusively say "yeah the Dems are up 10-15 from last year" and that is an absolutely insane swing.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

JBP posted:

Yes just look at Bill Clinton.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Silver lining here is if gianforte wins due to early voting we get to brand the Republicans as the Choke Slam Party and hopefully drive away people who think reporters shouldn't be assaulted, if there are any of those left.

this is better than a quist win

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

JBP posted:

POTUS is a rapist, so...

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ragnar Homsar posted:

The chokeslam happened yesterday and a majority of Montana's electorate voted early.

I'm aware and I'm not saying this is a disastrous result for the Dems. But Gianforte was not a particularly strong candidate and the election was very visible came at a time of high public scrutiny of the GOP and Trump.

As I said, some Republicans will sweat, but the election results are proving that a lot of the rosier Dem projections were quite exaggerated.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

skylined! posted:

Nah, I'd rather have the seat to be honest

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

skylined! posted:

I think you might be right. If Quist wins we get an irrelevant congressional vote for the next 1.5 years. If Gianforte wins he's a constant reminder of how lovely the G.O.P are. This doesn't matter because of swing votes as much as it does motivate Dem voters, which is what actually matters.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Powder River has fully reported results in 18 of 21 precincts. Gianforte is up 63 points. He’d want to be up by at least about 52 points to win statewide based on the past two presidential elections in Montana.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Within a vacuum, absolutely, you're correct.

When taken with Georgia and Kansas and the 20 pt swing in NY just this week. A national pattern is developing.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

That's not what's going to happen.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Spiritus Nox posted:

....What the gently caress does it matter if a congressman freaks out? I don't give a poo poo how my congressman feels, I just want him out of office.

...are you dumb? Because that's exactly what makes them scarred to vote for things like the ACA

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Yes just look at Bill Clinton.

*Google's Bill Clinton assault conviction*

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Supremezero posted:

To be fair, there are states that let you change your early vote.

Only 3 of them, though.

Ah yeah, early voting with the ability to change would do it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fsif posted:

I'm aware and I'm not saying this is a disastrous result for the Dems. But Gianforte was not a particularly strong candidate and the election was very visible came at a time of high public scrutiny of the GOP and Trump.

As I said, some Republicans will sweat, but the election results are proving that a lot of the rosier Dem projections were quite exaggerated.

This is an R+20 seat. If the Dems win this it implies in a nationwide election they would win something like 320 seats.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

axeil posted:

This is an R+20 seat. If the Dems win this it implies in a nationwide election they would win something like 320 seats.

and thats 320 out of 435 seats. 320 is a loving shitton. It would be nice, but we don't need an iron grip over the house in 2018.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

...are you dumb? Because that's exactly what makes them scarred to vote for things like the ACA

Didn't stop 200-something GOP reps from voting for a bill with something like an 18 percent approval rating - and there will be bills that hurt people only marginally less than AHCA would that won't be nearly as well publicized to become so unpopular. A possibility of them being out later is nice but we should stop acting as though them being out now isn't a more preferable option by miles.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ekster posted:

POTUS is a rapist, so...

convicted

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, at the current moment any Republican strategist worth a drat has to be wishing Quist wins since it would be easy to write off the loss as being Gianforte's fault alone, 1 vote isn't that important, and he's going to become a massive pain in the rear end for them for the next year as Dems look to make him and his legal problems yet another symbol of the GOP.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

An honest to goodness +10 shift towards the Democrats nationwide would potentially overcome gerrymandering. There are a lot of Republicans gerrymandered into seats with tighter margins.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ekster posted:

POTUS is a rapist, so...

poo poo we can probably name like, five presidents known to be rapists or proababke rapists off the top of our heads.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A +20R seat is going to end up diving down to +5R.

This is significant.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skylined! posted:

Eh, arguable.

It's possible that anyone who's still voting republican is so far gone that this will just further normalize heinous poo poo and in two years Gianforte will be bragging about standing up to LIBERAL MEDIA.

Still, I honestly think it would be the smart move for Republicans in the House to refuse to seat the guy because burning one House seat doesn't matter and it would serve to norrmalize their image and give them a pretextual defense of democracy stance -- sure we support President Pussygrab but we draw the line HERE! (over there, where it doesn't matter). But they aren't smart enough for that, if that's even the smart move after all, I could be wrong, maybe everything's already too feral.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

i dont agree with the posters saying that all reporters should be choked and punched and hospitalized for asking a normal question in a non-threatening way in a 1 on 1 encounter about potentially the most life-changing bill since the one it is trying to replace and maybe the most potentially life-destroying bill in this history or any other.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

An honest to goodness +10 shift towards the Democrats nationwide would potentially overcome gerrymandering. There are a lot of Republicans gerrymandered into seats with tighter margins.
I don't think it's even that high, given that the gerrymander is currently at its least effective. 10+ would be 100%.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, at the current moment any Republican strategist worth a drat has to be wishing Quist wins since it would be easy to write off the loss as being Gianforte's fault alone, 1 vote isn't that important, and he's going to become a massive pain in the rear end for them for the next year as Dems look to make him and his legal problems yet another symbol of the GOP.

I honestly am looking forward to the DC press hounding the guy aggressively and hoping he pops off again. DC cops aren't gonna sweep it under the rug.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

poo poo we can probably name like, five presidents known to be rapists or proababke rapists off the top of our heads.

It's a prerequisite.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

in two years Gianforte will be bragging about standing up to LIBERAL MEDIA.

Isn't he already?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rigel posted:

and thats 320 out of 435 seats. 320 is a loving shitton. It would be nice, but we don't need an iron grip over the house in 2018.

We don't need it but we, those who are screwed by the gerrymandering and gimmicks of the political alignment deserve to be represented in the numbers we actually exist by.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Rigel posted:

We need an iron-grip/wave election in 2020 to redraw the districts to make the republican party a permanent minority party. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A +20R seat is going to end up diving down to +5R.

This is significant.

...in a special election.

But yeah, I'm tired of supposed moral victories too. So I understand the gloom in here tonight.

• Locked thread