Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

honestly my true hope is that gianforte wins, and that the rest of congress musters enough balls and wherewithal to kick him out or do whatever kind of poo poo they can

or alternatively we just go all in on the brownshirt nazi violence

is there an :accelerate: or :accelerationism:???

is probably too big for a smiley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

nate silver is dumb qtiyd

nate silver is the only one who said trump might win so actually in fact he is smart

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

billings is.... bad?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

axeil posted:

nate silver is the only one who said trump might win so actually in fact he is smart

nate silver's statistical models are smart

nate silver himself can be dumb since during the primaries he didn't listen to his own statistics and was in massive denial that trump could win

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Bodyslam guy will most likely win but the fact this race is this close is a bad sign for Republicans.

My guess is Dems pull off big wins in 2018, maybe take the house. Then they run some Jabroni like Corey Booker and Trump or Pence beats them and we get 4 more years of death.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox posted:

I hope this isn't the part where I get proven right about the risks of early voting systems.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/KyungLahCNN/status/867770692313460736
https://twitter.com/KyungLahCNN/status/867773978546511872

A CNN reporter will be killed in a right-wing terrorist attack. I wouldn't be surprised if they bombed CNN HQ.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Montasque posted:

Bodyslam guy will most likely win but the fact this race is this close is a bad sign for Republicans.

My guess is Dems pull off big wins in 2018, maybe take the house. Then they run some Jabroni like Corey Booker and Trump or Pence beats them and we get 4 more years of death.

race might not be close, we will see. gianforte is slowly pulling away and there are plenty of 500-10 rural counties yet to come

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Super analyst Shinjobi weighs in:

:rip: Quist

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

race might not be close, we will see. gianforte is slowly pulling away and there are plenty of 500-10 rural counties yet to come

Maybe body slamming a liberal reporter was what sealed his victory.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Super-analyst Harry Enten weighs in on how a middling loss could actually be good news for demcoin: "There are 120 Republican-held seats that lean more Democratic on the presidential level than Montana’s."

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Super-analyst Harry Enten weighs in on how a middling loss could actually be good news for demcoin: "There are 120 Republican-held seats that lean more Democratic on the presidential level than Montana’s."

Harry "Trump has -10% chance of winning the nom" Enten.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Montasque posted:

Harry "Trump has -10% chance of winning the nom" Enten.

The very same.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

has harry hosed yet?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zas posted:

has harry hosed yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSVw6djRhzk

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
"Another bad omen for Quist is that we still have zero votes in from Flathead County (Kalispell), the state’s most Republican-leaning large county. The votes there are likely to push Gianforte’s lead into the range of 5 to 10 percentage points."

DRINKING TIME, LATER

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Quist-San.....

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
So now that Quist has lost, how much are we going to hear from the Democrats about how, despite the fact that they still can't win seats anywhere, they're totally beating the spread?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Xenoveritas posted:

So now that Quist has lost, how much are we going to hear from the Democrats about how, despite the fact that they still can't win seats anywhere, they're totally beating the spread?

MORAL VICTORIES *drowns in piss*

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
seeing how the failed neoliberal extreme centrist ossoff and the ultra progressive quist both lost, it's time for the democraps to find a new ideology

may i suggest extreme nihilism

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
beating the spread is important because the special elections are happening in districts vacated by an appointee moving into trump's cabinet. there hasn't been a single election in a swing district yet

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Venuz Patrol posted:

beating the spread is important because the special elections are happening in districts vacated by an appointee moving into trump's cabinet. there hasn't been a single election in a swing district yet

Good show Quist, hope he's back in 2018. ALso I didn't realize Montana had over a million.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

logikv9 posted:

may i suggest extreme nihilism
Full posadism now

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

no one really thought quist had any chance until the bodyslam

dont know why people are acting like this is some big deal

edit: oh i thought this was trumpthread

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Zokari posted:

no one really thought quist had any chance until the bodyslam

dont know why people are acting like this is some big deal

edit: oh i thought this was trumpthread

hope is a hell of a fuckin drug man

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
"drat i knew we shouldnt have called our voters quistlings. talk about yer mixed messaging!"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Just one more unhinged billionaire in a position of political power.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
LOL, he's not even going to beat the spread. Basically the exact same results as would be expected any other year. Good job, DNC, maybe someday you'll learn the only people less popular than Trump are Democrats.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
ossoff for montana rep

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

LOL, he's not even going to beat the spread. Basically the exact same results as would be expected any other year. Good job, DNC, maybe someday you'll learn the only people less popular than Trump are Democrats.

He's going to lose by around 7 points. Last race for this seat was a 15 point loss. Clinton lost by 30.

So he beats the spread by ~8, which is slightly better than the generic congressional ballot results.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

2018: The year that physically assaulting the press becomes a campaign strategy

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Montasque posted:

https://twitter.com/KyungLahCNN/status/867770692313460736
https://twitter.com/KyungLahCNN/status/867773978546511872

A CNN reporter will be killed in a right-wing terrorist attack. I wouldn't be surprised if they bombed CNN HQ.

Politicians starring fights with reporters makes a journalism degree more attractive to me

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

call me the dccc because i have given up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so at what point do we get to start roughing up politicians since they can attack any of us without consequence?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

He's going to lose by around 7 points. Last race for this seat was a 15 point loss. Clinton lost by 30.

So he beats the spread by ~8, which is slightly better than the generic congressional ballot results.
who gives a poo poo? being close is for horseshoes and hand grenades, and nothing else

i realize that state-level races aren't congressional races, but here in New York, there was a special election held in a part of Long Island that went big for Trump and has never been held by a Democrat. two days ago the Dem who ran- backed by labor and unions, a Bernie delegate, and a 25-year veteran public school teacher- not only won, but won by 15 points. she got help and funding from the Working Families Party, who were the entire reason she was the Dem's candidate to begin with

honestly, i don't think more funding or volunteering for quist would have pushed him over the top. people don't show up for special elections and especially not in "safe" districts. but as wayne gretzky once said (or was purported to have once said), you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. who knows, if you shoot, you might just score. so some more interest would have sent a better message than "we don't care" even in a loss

Condiv posted:

so at what point do we get to start roughing up politicians since they can attack any of us without consequence?
the rules don't apply to you only if you're a right-winger. it's true everywhere in the world but especially here

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gianforte still has that court date.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

get that OUT of my face posted:

who gives a poo poo? being close is for horseshoes and hand grenades, and nothing else

i realize that state-level races aren't congressional races, but here in New York, there was a special election held in a part of Long Island that went big for Trump and has never been held by a Democrat. two days ago the Dem who ran- backed by labor and unions, a Bernie delegate, and a 25-year veteran public school teacher- not only won, but won by 15 points. she got help and funding from the Working Families Party, who were the entire reason she was the Dem's candidate to begin with

honestly, i don't think more funding or volunteering for quist would have pushed him over the top. people don't show up for special elections and especially not in "safe" districts. but as wayne gretzky once said (or was purported to have once said), you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. who knows, if you shoot, you might just score. so some more interest would have sent a better message than "we don't care" even in a loss

the rules don't apply to you only if you're a right-winger. it's true everywhere in the world but especially here

The point isn't that it was close, the point is that Dems have been consistently improving their margins by +10 points in every election and there are a lot of districts where a GOP incumbent can't surmount that sudden rise in turnout, enough to retake the house. None of the special elections have taken place in those districts so far because surprise, no one appoints cabinet members from swing districts

That NY district is completely different from Montana and much closer to Ossoff's district. The most likely seat flips will be coming from wealthy suburban areas like those

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

2018: The year that physically assaulting the press becomes a campaign strategy

fairly certain Andrew Jackson did it first, although he may have just killed them.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gianforte still has that court date.

Was the assault enough to qualify as a felony? Does a felony rap bar you from office in Montana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

he was charged with misdemeanor assault iirc, don't know if it would have been a felony for a non-millionaire

• Locked thread