Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowser
Apr 7, 2007

When Republicans end up winning >50% of congressional seats in 2018 by single digits, people in this thread will be saying "But the GOP should have won some of those seats by like 20% This is great news for Democrats in 2020!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rigel posted:

We're about halfway in. The political experts are still saying that its too early to say that Quist didn't have a huge election day surge. If he didn't, he's toast obviously.

It'd have to be a massive "no one voted for Gianfonte" type surge. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

cult member at airport posted:

If Republicans end up winning >50% of congressional seats in 2018 by single digits, people in this thread will be saying "But the GOP should have won some of those seats by like 20% This is great news for Democrats in 2020!!"

If the Dems fail to take the House in 2018 I will finally say it's okay to now start slitting writs and posting that the world has literally ended, because if the Dems can't manage to take the House in 2018 they'll never manage to.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I don't think it's even that high, given that the gerrymander is currently at its least effective. 10+ would be 100%.

There were only 16 seats last year that Republicans won by 10% or less. A 10% swing might not be enough.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ein Sexmonster posted:

This shift is also very relevant for the senate- A lot of vulnerable dems could be saved by this momentum. Even if we can't take back the senate in 2018, it'd be a huge boon for 2020 and 2022

And think, even if dems don't take back the senate, this momentum could mean they only lose one or two seats which would be an enormous boon in 2028 and 2030.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

skylined! posted:

seat is irrelevant until 2018.

the choke slammer winning is better than quist winning.

say it out loud

by 2018 the gop is going to have so much loving dirt heaped on them future archaeologists will be excavating seashell relics from mcconnells little turtle hovel and wondering what weird implement was petrified inside paul ryans rear end.

you dumb motherfuckers {{{covok}}} are living in a nihilistic bubble, terrified of when this all starts to really matter.

What's wrong with you people

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Quist was never going to win this. Gianforte could have body slammed liberal fake news reporters every day for the last month and would have still won. The margins are what matter in these super Republican seats.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If Republicans end up winning >50% of congressional seats in 2018 by single digits, people in this thread will be saying "But the GOP should have won some of those seats by like 20% This is great news for Democrats in 2020!!"

No we won't. We'll be drunk and on suicide watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spiritus Nox posted:

It would help if a Dem could win literally any-loving-thing that matters even a tiny bit

This isn't something that matters. And the Dems won two red seats this week, that actually arguably have more consequential worth as they probably have more localized power as state legislators. You're only making yourself feel depressed by this by falsely telling yourself that 1 House seat that has always been red would accomplish anything at all. You're tricking yourself into being depressed.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Spiffster posted:

ChokeSlam a reporter and get rewarded for it... gently caress everything

The guy was a pretty much reprehensible textbook GOP before he decided he wasn't accountable to ANY part of society instead of just vacuuming up capital for it's own sake.
The many narratives about this race "He didn't get punished for assaulting someone" isn't really a plausible one, with so many votes already cast and the opposition being un-favored to win anyway.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Bill Clinton, Grover Cleveland, Thomas Jefferson, who else?

JFK(if the memoirs of one of the interns are true, he made one girl do some poo poo she definitely didn't want to, to friends of his), Grover Cleveland(he counts as two presidents!)

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Caros posted:

In a way, ins't every loss a victory?

Holy poo poo it's franscisco maturana

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

This right here. An almost victory is still a loss. Red seats need to turn Blue and being competitive yet losing is STILL LOSING :bang:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

axeil posted:

Ossoff winning in a shocking landslide will be the final thing we've been building to since KS-03.

I still have a bad feeling the GOP is going to manage to win that election in the end, even with Ossoff apparently ahead in some polls lately. The Democrats have to keep the anger at the GOP going and not lose people to outrage fatigue if they have any hopes of pushing a possible 10 point swing in to mattering 18 months from now. 18 months is an eternity for politics and if the GOP can look to be only mildly incompetent and evil, or just really good at getting out the "we're making those people suffer" then they'll make gains in the Senate and maybe keep the House next yet (though probably not). If the Dems don't put a ton of resources in to sweeping State-level races they're just going to get hosed even further via Gerrymandering. Win big in the states, undo as much Gerrymandering as possible ans start passing state level law/amendment stuff to redistrict the way California does and they'll make gains in the House just from that. Add in a ton of expanded voting rights as well as mail in voting to drive up turn out and that can help take back Senate seats too.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

fknlo posted:

Quist was never going to win this. Gianforte could have body slammed liberal fake news reporters every day for the last month and would have still won. The margins are what matter in these super Republican seats.

I don't get this. People keep saying that Montana has elected Democratic governors before, why is a House seat supposed to be different? It's the same electorate for both.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

"The Republicans only won both houses by 1%. 2020 will go great!"

"Trump only won by 2% this time! The house and senate only went Republican by 1% again! 2026 wave, here we come!"

"The new Republican President lost the popular vote! We have a chance in 2032!"

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
If denying millions of americans healthcare doesn't matter, neither does a bodyslam. Don't expect a late surge.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

tekz posted:

What's wrong with you people

you people?

HIS NAME IS SETH RICH

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Spiffster posted:

This right here. An almost victory is still a loss. Red seats need to turn Blue and being competitive yet losing is STILL LOSING :bang:

It's MONTANA

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is unironically what's going to happen. America is a one party system now and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Abandon all hope the end is niiiiiiiiigh

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RuanGacho posted:

You should probably consider what the senate looks like if Dems have 320 in the house.

Maybe 52 Democrats.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Spiffster posted:

No, this is silly.

A 5% loss here is good because that points to victory in 2018. Losing in 2018 points to nothing but "we're loving doomed unless we get someone as incredible as Obama to carry us in 2020"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Covok posted:

And this is what I'm talking about. There is no such thing as a "moral victory" to the out-of-work family of two who just lost their health insurance from the AHCA and, due to the medicaid roll backs, can't afford to keep their eldery parents alive and have to watch them go before their time. All this "numbers" and "it will be fine in 2018" and other self-serving poo poo just serves to piss-off people who know that people will die because we keep losing. Losing is losing in a "winner-take-all" system. If you want people to care or have hope, win.

drat you're right people are going to die because they aren't being totally loving myopic dipshits gazing at their navels and complaining that no one's winning anymore

kind of reminds me of a speech I heard a while back

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rigel posted:

No we won't. We'll be drunk and on suicide watch.

Yes. If the Dems fail to take the House in 2018 I absolutely believe there are probably posters itt who will try and kill themselves.

Trust me, people will not be talking about moral victories at that point.

Senate is totally hosed so I'm okay with just treading water (although I'd love to take it) but the Dems must take the House.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fansy posted:

If denying millions of americans healthcare doesn't matter, neither does a bodyslam. Don't expect a late surge.

Not to say they won't elect the Montana Choke Slamma but denying millions of americans healthcare is kinda starting to matter here and there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo when did the brokebrains invade

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
God Cascade County (Great Falls) going red is depressing. When I was growing up there it was a solid union town with good public schools. Now it's a dying husk that's propped up on a two-legged stool of disability checks and Air Force welfare (Malmstom AFB: No flight mission since the cold war!).

So of course they're voting to stick it to the (other) poors.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Arist posted:

Holy poo poo when did the brokebrains invade

They've always been here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ari Fleisher on Fox News trying to walk that fine line between "assault is never, ever ok" and "the liberal media is fooling themselves into thinking the voters care."

This is the boobie prize the Republicans get with Gianforte winning tonight.

It also sounds like Fox News is uncertain Gianforte is going to even make an appearance at his campaign celebration.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Montana has a loving democratic governor and senator

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

evilweasel posted:

Maybe 52 Democrats.

I'll take it.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Queering Wheel posted:

I don't get this. People keep saying that Montana has elected Democratic governors before, why is a House seat supposed to be different? It's the same electorate for both.

It's a special election

it's not just any Democratic Governor.

Quist really doesn't compare. He's a grassroots candidate.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ein Sexmonster posted:

They've always been here.

I just meant they've all been popping out of the woodwork in the last few minutes or so

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BardoTheConsumer posted:

This is unironically what's going to happen. America is a one party system now and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Abandon all hope the end is niiiiiiiiigh

-Fox News comments circa 2008

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mango sentinel posted:

Not to say they won't elect the Montana Choke Slamma but denying millions of americans healthcare is kinda starting to matter here and there.

How long has it been since something mattered? Why do you people keep hope that anything will ever matter?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

BardoTheConsumer posted:

How long has it been since something mattered? Why do you people keep hope that anything will ever matter?

Whose rereg are you?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I've never been to Montana. I hear they call it BIG SKY country. You ever looked at the sky and thought "gee, that sky sure is big." I have. But I haven't been to Montana.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

drat you're right people are going to die because they aren't being totally loving myopic dipshits gazing at their navels and complaining that no one's winning anymore

kind of reminds me of a speech I heard a while back

Yeah you're right sitting around smugly proclaiming "this'll cost them NEXT TIME" over and over and over and over and over again is a proven winning strategy, how could I loving forget

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Your point being?

With Trump and the CBO they both should be toxic enough to turn it blue. Dems need a substantial win BAD to shove it in Ryan/Trump's faces. A loss is still a loss

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Arist posted:

I just meant they've all been popping out of the woodwork in the last few minutes or so

where else are they going to complain about the death of the republic because an election went about as expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SirPablo posted:

I've never been to Montana. I hear they call it BIG SKY country. You ever looked at the sky and thought "gee, that sky sure is big." I have. But I haven't been to Montana.

Is it on the East Coast though? :v:

• Locked thread