Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

A lot of people saying it's a good sign it was a close race and shows good signs for other races, but it was a race against a guy who violently assaulted a reporter the day before election day, do you really think future races are going to be handed such a freebie the day before the election?

There is an election between A and B with 11 voters.
8 of them vote before the election and split 5-3 in favor of A.
A blows up a church the day before the election.
B wins the election day 2-1.

B still loses by 1 vote, despite winning 66%-33% on election day.

This is what has occurred. The church blowing up didn't matter because most of the electorate had already voted, and B needed 100% of the outstanding votes to win, which never happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I can't believe that it's going to be legal to punch reporters now

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

The data is exactly what's frightening, actually.
Nah.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Rigel posted:

You are late, that was about an hour ago when early returns sucked

If this result is inspiring you to drink then you are a raging alcoholic.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Spiritus Nox posted:

The point is that I'm loving sick of people assuming that because the loving psychopath only won by 5 points or whatever this time that we're sure to get 'em next time.

going to take a lot of scandalous bullshit to de program literally decades of republican lying, friend

I'm not sure what is more reprehensible A the invasive nihilism or the expectation that after more than a half century of boomers and gen x just absolutely ratfucking this country we were going to turn it around with obama.

poo poo is going to take time. go blame your parents.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RuanGacho posted:

Some will, admittedly.

We call those Trump voters.

We call those "half the country"

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
It's gonna be such a triumphant moral victory in 2018 when the GOP majority is trimmed to only 5-10 seats

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Half the country did not vote for Trump.

Elotana posted:

It's gonna be such a triumphant moral victory in 2018 when the GOP majority is trimmed to only 5-10 seats

If nationwide elections went exactly as tonights did then the Dems win the House by a margin of 30.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Elotana posted:

If the current trend in local elections holds to 2018 it won't even be close.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Half the country did not vote for Trump.

I don't have the margins off the top of my head but you better believe it was within error to half the voters on the country, the only people who matter.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

skylined! posted:

going to take a lot of scandalous bullshit to de program literally decades of republican lying, friend

I'm not sure what is more reprehensible A the invasive nihilism or the expectation that after more than a half century of boomers and gen x just absolutely ratfucking this country we were going to turn it around with obama.

poo poo is going to take time. go blame your parents.

Should have voted Ron Paul in 2008, he would have killed our parents.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Electorate, not country.
And 2016's electorate was some sort of weird mutant that spawned non-voters to show up.

The great democratic project of our time is mid terms, they need to matter, always. Giving into the nihilism of despair is not an option, for the sake of the future.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zwabu posted:

I wonder if Gianforte could have actually shot Jacobs in the middle of Fifth Avenue and still got elected.

Given how much early vote came in? Possibly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paradoxish posted:

No, look, it is totally legitimate for people to be disappointed in close losses like this and it's getting ridiculous how quickly this thread jumps on anyone who says so as if they're posting Covok-level doomsday nonsense.

The point is that a close loss in an election actually gains the Democrats nothing and it doesn't really provide any new information. It confirms to some degree that there's a shift in sentiment happening, but we already know that. We know that from Donald Trump's approval ratings, we know that from polling in this race, and we know that from polling in GA-06. It's absurd to act as if a loss actually matters in any way because it really doesn't. It also makes no sense to act like the sky is falling because a deep red seat stayed red, but you're not going to get anywhere insisting that people should be happy to lose.

I don't think anyways has argued that people should be happy to lose. I think the argument is between people who wish to give the perspective of the greater picture and what it means in the macro vs people who depressed over every micro loss, regardless of whether it was genuinely meaningful or not.

Dems won two red state seats the other day. Why don't they matter? Some people seem intent to respond only to the negative.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If nationwide elections went exactly as tonights did then the Dems win the House by a margin of 30.

You absolutely can't extrapolate these results that far out into the future and I think you know that.

edit-

STAC Goat posted:

Dems won two red state seats the other day. Why don't they matter?

Everything matters. What does this even mean?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

RuanGacho posted:

Electorate, not country.
And 2016's electorate was some sort of weird mutant that spawned non-voters to show up.

The great democratic project of our time is mid terms, they need to matter, always. Giving into the nihilism of despair is not an option, for the sake of the future.

If there's one good thing to come from Trump, it showed a lot of people that midterms and local races matter. Hopefully we see this in action in 2018

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

You absolutely can't extrapolate these results that far out into the future and I think you know that.
Sure, but the GOP is doing nothing to reverse the trend and is doing everything they can to accelerate it.

The state races do in fact matter far more than this one. I'd trade another 10 congressional seats today if it meant the Dems controlled the VA state senate.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If instead of saying "I'm sick and tired of hearing about your drat emails" Bernie had said "I'm so loving tired of hearing about your God drat emails, Jesus loving Christ who gives a poo poo" then none of this would be happening.

Hillary should of decked a reporter

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

gearing up in 2020 for that sweet meteor of death

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

People said the same thing about Scott Brown winning in MA and then the GOP had the largest single election wave in modern history.

poo poo does matter.

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Sure, but the GOP is doing nothing to reverse the trend and is doing everything they can to accelerate it.

The state races do in fact matter far more than this one. I'd trade another 10 congressional seats today if it meant the Dems controlled the VA state senate.

2017 in VA is gonna be awesome. I really think we can win the House of Delegates and State Senate. And Nothram/Periello are up 10+ points on Gillespie. Everyone's going to be focused down-ticket.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

STAC Goat posted:

Dems won two red state seats the other day. Why don't they matter? Some people seem intent to respond only to the negative.

Where? That'll balance out my malaise until GA.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

skylined! posted:

I am sober enough to confirm that this is a great idea

reported for drunkposting

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry if I'm a bit :negative: but I have a lot of poo poo going on in my life right now... financial woes, worrying about what this means for my already lovely health insurance, newborn girls future is looking grimmer by the second. I don't give a drat about my future as much as I do hers and boy howdy seeing all this play out right when she was born is utterly crushing any optimism I had left. Really need something good

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Rudoku posted:

State legislature races in NY and NH, IIRC

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If only I could be soaking in my purestrain gold tub smoking a blunt now

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Paradoxish posted:

Everything matters. What does this even mean?

I'm saying the people screaming that they're tired of losing "everything" and acting as if this is a more meaningful loss seem to be arbitrarily choosing what they react to to focus on the negative.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

fails to support the covokian narrative that dems are losing everywhere and we are all actually dying repetitively in real time for infinity

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tony Montana posted:

Australia! I am not American at all!

That makes sense. The truth is that a lot of what you're chalking up to liberal feefees and crunchy {{{lentil}}} hugboxery has root in US-specific historical events and politics. It sucks that people jumped down your throat, I've known people who don't have a firsthand understanding of US politics or history to say similar things.

Like, a lot of countries have racism baggage, but the US is really special. We brought tons of slaves to America for almost 400 straight years and have spent the entirety of our country's history reckoning with it in some way or another. Race and slavery drove literal years of arguments and compromises during the drafting of our constitution and government. Slavery was the reason we fought a hugely bloody civil war and a president got assassinated. The history of our two main political parties, our socioeconomics, our music, all of it can be tied to the civil war and the racial animus we've been dealing with since then. Practically every major political decision/movement/shift in the history of the country has had some degree of racial component to it- in a way that many other countries don't experience. For example, the U.K. may have a history of racial intolerance toward blacks, but they didn't have Jim Crow laws shaping education/legal/economic/law enforcement/public health policy for 100 years.

If you're curious, our (super violent) history of race relations is worth reading up on because it really is the key to explaining a lot of the American psyche.

As for people "whining when they didn't get their way" over Trump:

1) He promised a lot of legitimately heinous poo poo and has delivered on a fair amount of it.

2) He lost the popular vote and won on a technicality (electoral college) but has gone out of his way to behave and govern as though he won with a blowout popular mandate. He basically pretends that his non-supporters (more than half of the country?) don't exist and has entertained disturbing practices like insisting that voter fraud was rampant in 2016 and should be "investigated". He also loves the idea of violence against those opposed to him and has been known to encourage it when he can get away with it.

3) Because of his outsider status, Trump surrounded himself with people from the peripheries of conservative America. Most of them wouldn't be anywhere near the White House had any other Republican won. Many of them also have little to no policy understanding of the areas they control- because Trump picked them for being "outsiders". Many hold fringe, unsupported views that clash with the actual body of evidence/the views of most Americans on a field.

4) Bias crimes against ethnic minorities and LGBTQ people have spiked since the election, as have reports of law enforcement and local/state government misconduct.

5) Trump has shown himself to be incredibly ignorant/uncaring about the actual practice of running a government and routinely bungles poo poo domestically and internationally. There are thousands of still-unfilled positions in the federal government, not because it's some grand plan to save money or disrupt the status quo, but because they're too disorganized to deal with it effectively. He burned a vital allied asset and then doubled down on it. He spends hours per day watching cable news and makes policy decisions on a whim with complete disregard for the long-term. He's doing serious damage to a lot of our country's machinery of government both domestically and abroad, with major long-term implications.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

reported for drunkposting

i mean i was sober about the serious thing

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Spiritus Nox posted:

The data is exactly what's frightening, actually.

In what way?

You do understand that the only reason this election is happening is that the Trump administration knew it was safe? The fact that it isn't safe is a big deal.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

538 is sort of guessing that Quist is going to lose by 5–10 points. Earlier this week, before the CBO score or the choke slam, I think we were hoping for a result that would be too close to call before people on the east coast went to sleep, if not just MAYBE an outright victory.

It's a disappointment. I don't think the Democrats are totally hosed in 2018 because of this, but tonight's results represent something on the more unfortunate end of the "likely outcomes" spectrum. I don't really see why we need to cheer.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rudoku posted:

NY and I think NH. The NY one is in Pete King's Congressional District and has never elected a Democrat in its history of existence.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Spiffster posted:

Sorry if I'm a bit :negative: but I have a lot of poo poo going on in my life right now... financial woes, worrying about what this means for my already lovely health insurance, newborn girls future is looking grimmer by the second. I don't give a drat about my future as much as I do hers and boy howdy seeing all this play out right when she was born is utterly crushing any optimism I had left. Really need something good

The future is not yet decided friend, we can do it. We can matter. For all of them.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The number-cruncher nerds haven't called it yet. They still see a narrow path to victory because apparently there's a rural/urban split. The hicks out in the boonies were strongly for Gianforte which is why it looked bad, but he's underperforming the large counties. Its still possible for the large counties to roll in with a big election-day post-slam Quist wave.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Spiffster posted:

The good news is that the Dems have actually won state represenative seats, Georgia is looking good, and these results show that people do care and votes are shifting. There's nothing to do until 2018 but that was always going to be the case. There is hope.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Helpful hint: If the bowels aren't pierced, you're unlikely to die, except by infection which may take ages. They don't feel sensation so it's the easiest thing in the world to tear those pesky slimy poopsnakes with your hands.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Schizotek posted:

Helpful hint: If the bowels aren't pierced, you're unlikely to die, except by infection which may take ages. They don't feel sensation so it's the easiest thing in the world to tear those pesky slimy poopsnakes with your hands.

what?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Propaganda Hour posted:

Murkowski is really great about replying. I seem to always get something back from her whenever I contact her office.

True, I think I have gotten something back every time I've emailed her to complain this year. It might take awhile, but at least I know my tiny angry voice got added to someone's data set.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If this result is inspiring you to drink then you are a raging alcoholic.

or just an idiot, it's multiple choice

(the answer is of course all of the above)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/867935997715075073
https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/867944777425182720

• Locked thread