Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
what's mram like vs fram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

for my motorcycle thing i need to store elapsed distance at least every tenth of a mile (and ideally more frequently) in a format that can handle unpredictable sudden power loss. that pretty much means writing regularly to non-volatile storage but EEPROM or flash would die after a couple years' worth of mileage. FRAM is a reasonable option there.

i think i'm gonna go with that microchip EERAM that's just an SPI SRAM and EEPROM in a single package with auto-store and auto-recall logic, though. plug that in and give it a 10uF capacitor and call it a day. i also like the idea of all the critical settings being on a DIP8 that i can pluck out and download or replace or whateve

i was researching those devices and i remember i found an article about them where the comments were full of greybeards complaining about the existence of said memory chips. i don't remember what in particular pissed them off but they were maaaaaaaad

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

today i was looking for some documentation for a uart, found a bunch of wrong-rear end bullshit, and then turned to the verilog for information

At the bottom of the changelog in the main file:

quote:

Ported to Verilog from schematic, 1995
:eyepop: how old is this thing???

also one of the VPs worked on it back in the day. nice

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
i once saw bob pease (:rip:) gettin mad in his reader mail q&a that folks were beginning to use leds for anything other than status indicators, he thought that incandescent bulbs were perfect for making light and why would you want an led flashlight

he didn't live to see led room lighting i wonder whether he would have come around

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
one way of improving the life time of eeproms in applications like that is to allocate a larger memory area and increment the address on each write.
i still agree that a more resiliant storage form is better though, fram is somewhat expensive compared to equivalent size eeproms but not ridiculously so.

also note cypress frams lose their data after about 10 years if you store them at too high a temperature, down from nearly infinite to 10 years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeh. i considered just doing wear-leveling, and did the math on it and i could make it work out, but in the end i decided that it was just cleaner to use a module with an effectively infinite write life and also that way i can store lots of other data (user settings, etc) if i need to without worrying about shuffling things around in the memory space.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its also nice how you can write just one byte if you wanna write just one byte. flash can gently caress off

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

$1 for 128kbit is pretty pricey tho

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what quantity?

also this is for tiny MCUs, you can get a msp430 with 16kB (shared with program space) for $0.87 in 1k quantities

$0.45 if you just need 4kB. that's cheaper than all but the smallest attiny4 ( I think microchip must be trying to kill atmel off or something)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

microchip owns atmel now

unless you mean they're trying to tank their own division and force everyone to buy garbage outdated PICs again

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

microchip is pretty awful, so its probable

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

microchip owns atmel now

unless you mean they're trying to tank their own division and force everyone to buy garbage outdated PICs again

yes that is what I meant

the first thing microchip did when it bought atmel was dramatically raise prices

it doesn't make sense

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

i had a sinking feeling this is what acquiring atmel was about but am still sad. pic is such trash

hopefully arm uCs will just kill them both and make it all irrelevant

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
what is this

http://www.greenarraychips.com/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

A miserable pile of forth

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

http://www.ultratechnology.com

(:rip:, shine on you crazy forth diamond)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I got a ksz8794CNX that is poo poo and I hate this stupid loving switch.

It's connected to an IMX6, and when I boot using the imx_usb_loader, 99% of the time the chip comes out of reset just fine. But if I boot off of EMMC the chip freaks out and get's pissy and refuses to auto-negotiate.

Yank the reset GPIO low? Nah, doesn't work.
Yank the 1v2 line low? Nah, doesn't work.

The TRM has no power sequencing requirements either. gently caress Micrel and their stupid loving chips.

Bloody posted:

microchip is pretty awful, so its probable

I was looking at this: http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/ATAES132A for future products. It's only 56c in 53c of 100+. :shrug:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 25, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

hardware guys casually emailing the firmware team: "hey we're having some trouble with the timing on the SRAM. do you guys mind if we add a wait state when the part is running at 20MHz?"

20MHz is the lowest supported speed, not the highest. it's for saving power. this change would drag down performance to 55-60% of spec and also cost nearly that much in extra power from extra active time. not to mention this is a next-generation part that is supposed to be really impressive, not embarrassing

thankfully i wasn't the only one who had a shitfit about it

e: added bonus, this is the third version of the design. it is comically late to suggest such a change at this point

Spatial fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 25, 2017

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Spatial posted:

hardware guys casually emailing the firmware team: "hey we're having some trouble with the timing on the SRAM. do you guys mind if we add a wait state when the part is running at 20MHz?"

20MHz is the lowest supported speed, not the highest. it's for saving power. this change would drag down performance to 55-60% of spec and also cost nearly that much in extra power from extra active time. not to mention this is a next-generation part that is supposed to be really impressive, not embarrassing

thankfully i wasn't the only one who had a shitfit about it

e: added bonus, this is the third version of the design. it is comically late to suggest such a change at this point

lol

those fucken hardware boys

when will they learn

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

usually when they get promoted into marketing and realise nobody wants garbage

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

have you tried Bubble Memory

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I got a ksz8794CNX that is poo poo and I hate this stupid loving switch.

It's connected to an IMX6, and when I boot using the imx_usb_loader, 99% of the time the chip comes out of reset just fine. But if I boot off of EMMC the chip freaks out and get's pissy and refuses to auto-negotiate.

is the EMMC chip okay?

a cheap POS SD card that happens to be a soldered down chip instead of a card is still a cheap POS SD card

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

in the cyberpunk alternate future we're all running bubble memory-based MSX-VII computers

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Malcolm XML posted:

to what possible application? does anyone use these things? what is it and why

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

in the cyberpunk alternate future we're all running bubble memory-based MSX-VII computers

MSX owns

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

atomicthumbs posted:

forth ended up finding a niche in weird corners of the industrial control and telecoms switching world.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

there's a space probe that runs it in hardware too

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DuckConference posted:

is the EMMC chip okay?

a cheap POS SD card that happens to be a soldered down chip instead of a card is still a cheap POS SD card

Yeah it's fine. It's a crucial 8GB card and has never given me any issues.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

idk about the rest but the answer to the last is that forth dudes are weird and super dedicated to doing everything in forth and insisting that no, your fancy modern technology is worthless next to the glory of forth

that green chips thing and the earlier forth chips like the mup21? designed by chuck moore (the deity of the forth world) in eda software he wrote himself, in forth, on what amounts to an os he wrote himself, in forth. it's almost like the losethos guy except there's more of them, their religious obsession is forth, there isn't any overt racism or other horrible stuff, and they're actually rather shockingly competent engineers, some being legit geniuses. just geniuses who are obsessed with forth.

i guess my analogy is bad because they're not really much like losethos guy except in one narrow way, devotion to near total rejection of technology developed outside the weird niche/bubble they've created for themselves

yosposter gazpacho has written up a couple trip reports from attending some of the yearly silicon valley meet ups of the fortherati, he can probably be more informative

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am looking for babby's first analog electronics simulation package. something where you can draw a schematic and stick virtual probes here and there and watch what happens in real-time as you put different signals into it.

i have tried some of the online apps like partsim and everycircuit but they're all really annoying and poorly documented and want money.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

did anything actually use bubble memory other than wacky MSX hardware and Konami arcade games

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i am looking for babby's first analog electronics simulation package. something where you can draw a schematic and stick virtual probes here and there and watch what happens in real-time as you put different signals into it.

i have tried some of the online apps like partsim and everycircuit but they're all really annoying and poorly documented and want money.

i think i used ltspice in a course

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ltspice

its got a kinda goofy interface but it is Good

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bloody posted:

ltspice

its got a kinda goofy interface but it is Good

yeah this. its what i used in school, anyway. the one thing tho is that i remember it being a huge pita trying to add components to its library

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

if you have a GRiD then I have someone you need to meet

especially if you do any reversing

(they had, like, the cloud and an app store and poo poo in 1981 because they were all from PARC)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

did anything actually use bubble memory other than wacky MSX hardware and Konami arcade games

the GRiD Compass 1101 which was awesome and basically invented the modern laptop form factor

the GRiD Compass II 1139 was even more awesome, it was widescreen

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it was renamed to USER AIDS by C Everett Koop

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

it was renamed to USER AIDS by C Everett Koop

top cek

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

BobHoward posted:

idk about the rest but the answer to the last is that forth dudes are weird and super dedicated to doing everything in forth and insisting that no, your fancy modern technology is worthless next to the glory of forth

that green chips thing and the earlier forth chips like the mup21? designed by chuck moore (the deity of the forth world) in eda software he wrote himself, in forth, on what amounts to an os he wrote himself, in forth. it's almost like the losethos guy except there's more of them, their religious obsession is forth, there isn't any overt racism or other horrible stuff, and they're actually rather shockingly competent engineers, some being legit geniuses. just geniuses who are obsessed with forth.

i guess my analogy is bad because they're not really much like losethos guy except in one narrow way, devotion to near total rejection of technology developed outside the weird niche/bubble they've created for themselves

yosposter gazpacho has written up a couple trip reports from attending some of the yearly silicon valley meet ups of the fortherati, he can probably be more informative

why couldn't they have chosen a good language, like APL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

why couldn't they have chosen a good language, like APL

or Lisp

someone should've let Chuck Moore use a Lisp Machine in college or something

• Locked thread