Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Justin Credible posted:

Text: Laura has a magic lucky coin in her skull and the god that catches her literally says, "The circumstances of your death commit me." Someone pulls the Anubis lore that corroborates. Fuller and Gaimen both frequently don't explicitly spell out backstory like that. Just a snip, and if you know you know and if you're curious a quick internet search figures it out.

Goons: Well it was really about the place she worked and oh yeah she handled black cards and stuff who cares what the character himself says about why he got her and oh by the way he's never been shown to lie but also some dirt is a perfectly spherical burned hole

never change

Did you have a stroke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JawnV6 posted:

Cool, sorry to interrupt the perfect thread with a trepidatious conciliatory question. In the future I'll just go frame by frame through every previous episode instead of asking.

TVIV goons really are pretty bad about that poo poo.

Like guys you can just say "hey you missed that bit in the episode where" rather than "oh my god how are you so bad" :supaburn:

Most shows I watch, I'm doing something else at the same time. So sometimes I miss a thing, or I forget it. Big whoop. (But American Gods has my full attention when its on :) )

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
"Hmmm I like this show enough to post about it to an Internet forum I paid for... but gently caress paying attention to it at all"

:goonsay:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
There's a difference between paying attention and having different readings. Even if they aren't paying attention like i couldn't at the time, the thread wouldn't be much if everyone was just high fiving about how kick rear end the show rather than asking questions and discussing it

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I watch TV like old people gently caress. It's already a miracle when I can stay awake and hard the whole way through.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
I didn't go back to see if he's right, but my boyfriend said when Laura is looking down at her own dead body, the body had both arms attached.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

She lost it when fighting the Tech Gods minions, giving us the greatest groin shot in TV history.

Edit: I'll never get tired of that gif.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 25, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JustinMorgan posted:

I didn't go back to see if he's right, but my boyfriend said when Laura is looking down at her own dead body, the body had both arms attached.

She lost the arm during the fight with Technical Boy's goons, not during the car crash.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
BTW that part confused me a bit. Does being a zombie whore give Laura super strength?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Justin Credible posted:

Text: Laura has a magic lucky coin in her skull and the god that catches her literally says, "The circumstances of your death commit me." Someone pulls the Anubis lore that corroborates. Fuller and Gaimen both frequently don't explicitly spell out backstory like that. Just a snip, and if you know you know and if you're curious a quick internet search figures it out.

Goons: Well it was really about the place she worked and oh yeah she handled black cards and stuff who cares what the character himself says about why he got her and oh by the way he's never been shown to lie but also some dirt is a perfectly spherical burned hole

never change

You mad we are saying Anubis and not Death? i don't follow.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

BTW that part confused me a bit. Does being a zombie whore give Laura super strength?

We have no idea Laura is suddenly Superman/zombiewhore. Presumably it has something to do with being a revenant but it's still a mystery.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Apparently. That seemed odd to me too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I enjoyed this thread more when it was about predict the number of dicks in future episodes

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm assuming that since Shadow :airquote: gave :airquote: her Sweeny's lucky coin, she just rolls natural 20s and also got the Bloody Mess perk.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pratchett's zombies are super strong too. Something about having physical control of their muscles rather than having to go through the brain, I think.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ah, we've entered the "get snide like you were personally offended by someone misinterpreting the show" part of the thread. *checks watch* Episode 4, that's nice and quick.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know, what is this, the local?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

To be fair I kind of get irritated when people don't pay attention to what they're watching and then tell it back to you wrong in real life. I wasn't terribly upset despite the tone, I just think it's amazing that text is so easily misconstrued and mis-remembered. Not subtext, the plot if you typed it out. Wasn't trying to chase anyone out, though I know a couple of you cheeky fuckers cruise for that just to encourage it and stoke the fire.

Lots of Fuller regs coming around too, it's like watching Guardians and seeing guys from indie b movie poo poo along with high level talent.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Spoiler clip from upcoming episode of Media dressing down the Technical Boy

"You have an image problem" :allears:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
OK now I really want to see what they do with Media just appearing in the form of various celebrity figures all the time, cause that's cool as hell.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

"Anger and grief have really just made me vulgar."

Goddamn, that was fantastic.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like The "Bathroom Scene" is gonna be one of the iconic moments of this series.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'd wondered what Desire would look like in a live action adaptation.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Dagnabbit! This should be Canadian Gods so I can watch it. :canada:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

10 Beers posted:

"Anger and grief have really just made me vulgar."

Goddamn, that was fantastic.

There isn't a single scene where Betty Gilpin isn't just killing it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's been ages since I read the book, but Audrey barely showed up at all, she was just mentioned in passing, right?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Entropic posted:

It's been ages since I read the book, but Audrey barely showed up at all, she was just mentioned in passing, right?

I also haven't read it in ages but I remember it the same way. I think in the book she just goes straight from the grave to the motel room where she waits for Shadow, and we don't get any backstory for her at all. She explains to Shadow the thing about the bright light leading her to him (which we see in the show), otherwise I think it just glosses over how she actually got there. And there's never any interaction between Laura and Anubis, I seemed to remember her even saying that all she remembers about being dead was total blackness and nothingness.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Entropic posted:

Audrey plays a significant, albeit limited role much later in the book. It's highly unlikely to happen this season so I won't expand, however if you ask in the spoiler thread I'm sure someone will answer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Entropic posted:

This isn't the book thread, but there is one and you should ask this question there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819132

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, i just figured out we are talking about an actual book, and not a comic.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Rocksicles posted:

We're actually talking about a TV show that has aired four episodes. There is another forum about books and ANOTHER one about comics though on this very website.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are you deficient ?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rocksicles posted:

Some goons are huge crybabies about people talking about source materials.

Was there a separate Neverwhere thread for each medium when the anniversary show was done?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Was there a separate Neverwhere thread for each medium when the anniversary show was done?

My whole point was i didn't know the comic was not a comic, and was a book.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It's a valid point - in GoT threads, book chat is kept minimal in the TV/no spoilers thread. Especially since the material can diverge significantly.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

.Z. posted:

American Gods is doing a fantastic job of making me wish even more for a Sandman TV adaptation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rocksicles posted:

My whole point was i didn't know the comic was not a comic, and was a book.

I think there is also a comic adaptation, funnily enough.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Thread turns to poo poo every Wednesday because it's his day and he thrives on chaos... :eng101:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think there is also a comic adaptation, funnily enough.

:argh: drat you Neil Gaiman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

.Z. posted:

Like a black haired David Bowie, Lucifer will look like typical 80s David Bowie