Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If anyone else enjoys reading about different public transportation methods, I found this chart (and article) which is a pretty nice summary of a lot of the options available in game. I was wondering what exactly the use of monorails would be, it turns out that they can be insanely cheap and very quiet. For those wondering, BRT stands for Bus Rapid Transit and LRT stands for Light Rail Transit, which are trams in C:S.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301302321_Monorails_for_sustainable_transportation_-_a_review

Note that I'm pretty sure that this is just for urban areas, the fastest LRT and Metro lines can run at about 120 kph.

BigglesSWE posted:

I have it and yes it is the most important mod for my play style. So it is specifically that mod that allows it? Cool, will look into the notes of that one and see if it'll help me figure it out.

When you have something selected with Move It there's a copy button left of its bulldozer button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm the study that says BRT has a higher capacity than LRT.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Made a nice oceanfront park for the town.

Upper end of the park

Really having fun with details like benches and even garbage cans and poo poo..

All about the hills and curves and hand-plops

Curves!

Watertower park

Detailing with benches and fountains and poo poo

This bridge is fairly lightly used at the moment because there isn't too much on the other side, but I'm sure that will eventually change.

Quiet neighbourhood park

The city so far. I downgraded the 6 lane suspension bridge to a 2-lane highway. I wish we could do 4 lane suspension but oh well, no option to select bridge types.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I'm the study that says BRT has a higher capacity than LRT.

It doesn't say that. BRT's maximum is given as 160, which LRT's minimum is 220 and its maximum is 1000. I'm not sure why they're counting every section of an articulated bus as one vehicle and trams and trains as separate cars.

Also that is a very cool city. I feel like I can't ever figure out where to place European landmark buildings that look quite that natural.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How does the game decide what style/era of buildings to use? My new one is very London-y and I did download some mods but nothing to do with building types. I preferred the high tech west coast style.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been having another go at a pseudo-oldish city.

Overall view of the city in-progress, main industrial hub not in the shot.

A street in the city proper during the day.

Suburban comfort, only a stone's throw from downtown.

I listened to Batman music while trying to make this city.

where (and how) did you get the cars?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

How does the game decide what style/era of buildings to use? My new one is very London-y and I did download some mods but nothing to do with building types. I preferred the high tech west coast style.

It's based on map theme. The one you got is probably using the European theme instead of the default international.

You have two different ways of changing it with these two mods:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=466158459
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=611254368

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Made a nice oceanfront park for the town.

Upper end of the park

Really having fun with details like benches and even garbage cans and poo poo..

All about the hills and curves and hand-plops

Curves!

Watertower park

Detailing with benches and fountains and poo poo

This bridge is fairly lightly used at the moment because there isn't too much on the other side, but I'm sure that will eventually change.

Quiet neighbourhood park

The city so far. I downgraded the 6 lane suspension bridge to a 2-lane highway. I wish we could do 4 lane suspension but oh well, no option to select bridge types.

Your posts are pretty drat spergy sometimes but wow you make good looking cities, you did awesome with this one

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nice looking skylines stuff requires a very heavy dash of sperg unfortunately.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

My biggest disappointment with this game is that cities never look good unless you spend hours and hours detailing them by hand.

I just want them to look good on their own, dammit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Athaboros posted:

My biggest disappointment with this game is that cities never look good unless you spend hours and hours detailing them by hand.

Exactly this. I shouldn't have to hand plop buildings to get them to go along a road and form a proper streetwall. If the game had semi-dynamic buildings that could be slightly stretched/squashed to make seemless streetwalls along the edges of blocks it would be perfect. People shouldn't need sharp angles mod and a million decals to make realistic looking highway merge lanes and poo poo, it should just be how ramps connect to highways.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Baronjutter posted:

Exactly this. I shouldn't have to hand plop buildings to get them to go along a road and form a proper streetwall. If the game had semi-dynamic buildings that could be slightly stretched/squashed to make seemless streetwalls along the edges of blocks it would be perfect. People shouldn't need sharp angles mod and a million decals to make realistic looking highway merge lanes and poo poo, it should just be how ramps connect to highways.

Yeah, I don't really play any more because of this (and many other) reasons. I also got really fed up with the "block" sizes for buildings, and just the general wrongness of the scale of everything all around.

That being said, all of the cities in this thread look really good. I feel just as bad looking at them as I do when looking at people's stuff in Planet Coaster!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Athaboros posted:

Yeah, I don't really play any more because of this (and many other) reasons. I also got really fed up with the "block" sizes for buildings, and just the general wrongness of the scale of everything all around.

That being said, all of the cities in this thread look really good. I feel just as bad looking at them as I do when looking at people's stuff in Planet Coaster!

Rico plops have solved a lot of scale issues. Almost no one just grows industry now, it's all huge like 20x20 factory plops and poo poo. Also if you aren't doing a european city the normal grown buildings look fine because they are all designed around having some open space around them rather than perfect seemless row buildings.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Yeah, I guess that's my problem overall -- I never want to have to plop anything, ever. I feel like a good city sim should be able to generate relatively realistic cities using its own mechanics.

I recognize that this goes against the ethos of the modern city-builder genre in a lot of ways, though, which all have more of the "zen garden" vibe to them. I just don't have the patience for it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Plopping huge industrial buildings is fine though because you aren't going to have a million of them, it's no worse than placing a hospital or a school. Having to plop houses and poo poo though is hosed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Athaboros posted:

So long as you just stick to grid based wall to wall buildings it isn't that hard to have something that's reasonably nice looking without too much effort.

But yeah, if you want to make a nice looking European city it really sucks.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've got a roundabout with two exits, on one side it works perfectly fine with no problems, but on the other side it puts a stop sign. Both sides use the exact same roads. I tried changing the road types and all sorts of stuff to get the stop sign to go the gently caress away. Its a roundabout using a three lane highway that goes onto a four lane avenue. Why do I have a stop sign on it? How can I get it to not think I need a stop sign?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
There's likely a mod that can fix that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I've got a roundabout with two exits, on one side it works perfectly fine with no problems, but on the other side it puts a stop sign. Both sides use the exact same roads. I tried changing the road types and all sorts of stuff to get the stop sign to go the gently caress away. Its a roundabout using a three lane highway that goes onto a four lane avenue. Why do I have a stop sign on it? How can I get it to not think I need a stop sign?

Remove the stop sign with the intersection tool.

e: The snow props on the workshop are really cool, they do a wonderful job of making mountains look larger and further away than they actually are.

Also, the rock and grass props are also very cool. I think that I can finally make the Hunan province map that I've always wanted to now.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 24, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

ToastyPotato posted:

Why are new road and bridge types not compatible with old saves, according to that chart? :psyduck:

Has anyone definitively figured this out? My existing saves seem to have access to all the same roads as one of the scenarios (which I used as an example of "new save" since it would have been made with the MT DLC and I sure as poo poo wasn't playing for hours on a real new save) and all are buildable. Going left to right on the tabs, there are 12, 9, 8, and 9 types of roads (not including the further tabs for intersections and whatnot). So, what on earth did this mean, and max 5 -what-? I could make tons of bridges of all sorts of roads. I might be dumb but I just can't seem to parse that, and I'd really like to avoid trying to rebuild my favorite city from scratch.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

turn off the TV posted:

I made this post on the C:S subreddit, but I figure that people here would like it too. Here's a list of a bunch of growable collections/asset creators broken up into themes.

I always end up making a map, spending 24 hours making the map, and then playing for like 8.

Amazing mod list. I just noticed that your Japanese low density residential link leads to a collection of American apartments, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I made a couple of bits. A small set of central plaza tiles, and a small set of car park tiles for making big car parks.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932045248

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932052126

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I shouldn't be getting aroused over car parking.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No one ever parks in my parking lots unless the spots are practically touching a major attraction. Has anyone made random car props I could lay down with prop line tool to make the parking lots look actually used?
Also maybe I'm too good at transit and bikes now because almost no one drives in my drat city. The bike lanes are like superhighways and the trams extremely packed and the sidewalks are throngs of pedestrians but the only vehicles I see are delivery trucks and services. I could film a random busy downtown intersection for 5 min and you'd see maybe 1-2 cars.

Once again I so wish transport methods had a sort of long term "reputation" that was nudged slowly every month or so so after years of the trams being standing-room-only nightmares and the roads being totally empty maybe some people would decide to drive, or the reverse if traffic is consistently horrible and transit fast and comfortable.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 25, 2017

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Baronjutter posted:

No one ever parks in my parking lots unless the spots are practically touching a major attraction. Has anyone made random car props I could lay down with prop line tool to make the parking lots look actually used?
Also maybe I'm too good at transit and bikes now because almost no one drives in my drat city. The bike lanes are like superhighways and the trams extremely packed and the sidewalks are throngs of pedestrians but the only vehicles I see are delivery trucks and services. I could film a random busy downtown intersection for 5 min and you'd see maybe 1-2 cars.

Once again I so wish transport methods had a sort of long term "reputation" that was nudged slowly every month or so so after years of the trams being standing-room-only nightmares and the roads being totally empty maybe some people would decide to drive, or the reverse if traffic is consistently horrible and transit fast and comfortable.

the rush hour mod has a setting to force cims to use car parks more

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Metrication posted:

Rush hour has a couple cool features but I think the core feature doesn't at all work with the game, also every other mod seems to have compatibility issues with rush hour.
Traffic president seems to do the parking stuff Rush Hour used to exclusively do. People do park, it's more than no one drives.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Metrication posted:

Traffic Manager also has a setting to completely disable Cims from using pocket cars. They can only have one vehicle on the map at a time, and if they don't have a vehicle they can only spawn one at an empty parking spot. This adds a couple extra steps to the pathfinding and it works really well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

Traffic Manager also has a setting to completely disable Cims from using pocket cars. They can only have one vehicle on the map at a time, and if they don't have a vehicle they can only spawn one at an empty parking spot. This adds a couple extra steps to the pathfinding and it works really well.

Maybe THIS is why no one is driving in my city? Do apartments still have magical bags of car-holding? I notice when a fresh boat of immigrants come to the city they'll deploy their pocket cars at the terminal, but beyond there none. None of the bullshit of people getting off a busy metro and suddenly having a car.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe THIS is why no one is driving in my city? Do apartments still have magical bags of car-holding? I notice when a fresh boat of immigrants come to the city they'll deploy their pocket cars at the terminal, but beyond there none. None of the bullshit of people getting off a busy metro and suddenly having a car.

I'm pretty sure that if you have it enabled you can click on a Cim and see where their car is. If it's too far away they won't walk to it. There's also a new overlay added that shows parking and public transport demand, so you can use those to see what's going on.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tried some monorails and was not very impressed. Stations create noise pollution and there's no reason to pick them over subways as far as I can tell. Living in a city with a very successful "monorail," I was hoping it would be a more desirable option.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Tried some monorails and was not very impressed. Stations create noise pollution and there's no reason to pick them over subways as far as I can tell. Living in a city with a very successful "monorail," I was hoping it would be a more desirable option.

First thing I did after making a short monorail and making people sick, was going on the workshop and found some silent monorail stations. Having a monorail station right outside your door should be a good thing, should increase land value, not make people sick. I feel they dropped the ball on that one.

Cable car is fantastic though. Lot's of vehicles, no traffic jams, surprisingly fast. Boats are amusing, two fresh water outlets into the double size canal on a hill is enough water for ferries. They don't care about the 10 cm deep torrent going 100 mph against them.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

turn off the TV posted:

I think my theme and map are turning out pretty nicely. The map is designed around getting a lot of use out of ferries and cable cars. Lots of bluffs and straits between the islands.

Any chance you could share this on the workshop?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend some good user created maps with space for ferries and cable cars that look realistic?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Invader Zym posted:

Any chance you could share this on the workshop?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend some good user created maps with space for ferries and cable cars that look realistic?

I'm still working on it, but at the rate I'm going I'll hopefully have it done some in the next few days. I may be going out of town for a week, but I've developed some sort of weird humidity triggered respiratory problems, so that might be off the table.

To give you an idea of where I'm at on the map, here's a screenshot:

The central yellowish area is mostly done, just needs props. The main pass of the road/rail layout is finished and just needs to be double checked. I'm still figuring out what kind of trees I should use in the elevated areas, and I'm not entirely sure what to do with the bright green one.

Here is a collection of maps I found on the workshop which looked good for MT:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=928723228

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Is there some mod or whatev to basically disable waterworks? Or some cheaty one that supplies everywhere? It's the worst part of the game for me, as it just involves finding two watery corners of the map and then spam clicking pipes everywhere.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gamerofthegame posted:

Is there some mod or whatev to basically disable waterworks? Or some cheaty one that supplies everywhere? It's the worst part of the game for me, as it just involves finding two watery corners of the map and then spam clicking pipes everywhere.

gently caress yeah, one of my "essential can't play without it" mods.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576997275

You still need a water supply and disposal, but you don't need to spend 15 min covering the map with pipes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smh if you aren't poopscaping your city.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dunno-Lars posted:

First thing I did after making a short monorail and making people sick, was going on the workshop and found some silent monorail stations. Having a monorail station right outside your door should be a good thing, should increase land value, not make people sick. I feel they dropped the ball on that one.

Cable car is fantastic though. Lot's of vehicles, no traffic jams, surprisingly fast. Boats are amusing, two fresh water outlets into the double size canal on a hill is enough water for ferries. They don't care about the 10 cm deep torrent going 100 mph against them.

Yeah I really like ferries, makes bodies of water less of an obstacle.

I just got a city over 300k population for the first time with lots of room left (no mod for additional tiles). Subways seem to be the key, everything just fills up once I have those in place.

Definitely prefer going for max population over beauty. And I wish I had discovered those roundabout interchanges before I started.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 26, 2017

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I have a city with over 300,000 that's also along a river, but the river is now flowing backwards due to all the poop being pumped into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I've never been one to delve much into the workshop for this game, but now maps have multiple mod dependencies too? :psyduck: Goddamn do mods sap my will to play.