Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

the marketplace of ideas has resulted in enormous growth in LGBT acceptance and support for LGBT rights over the past two decades.

a sea change in the psychiatric and medical perspective on queerness (often at severe professional risk for the doctors who opened that door), the coming out of a bunch of famous and culturally influential people, and the increasing diversity of american academia coupled with increased levels of general educational attainment and declining levels of religiosity have resulted in enormous growth in lgbt acceptance and support for lgbt rights, not deliberately giving podiums to homophobes

I guess you have to define what you mean by "marketplace of ideas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
there wasn't a choice whether or not to give homophobes a podium. in the u.s. at least they had them every sunday in churches in every town in the country

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

wizard on a water slide posted:

a sea change in the psychiatric and medical perspective on queerness (often at severe professional risk for the doctors who opened that door), the coming out of a bunch of famous and culturally influential people, and the increasing diversity of american academia coupled with increased levels of general educational attainment and declining levels of religiosity have resulted in enormous growth in lgbt acceptance and support for lgbt rights, not deliberately giving podiums to homophobes

I guess you have to define what you mean by "marketplace of ideas"

do you think that all of that stuff involving the free exchange of ideas doesn't count somehow?

OK, if your conception of the marketplace of ideas just means College Republicans inviting shitheads to campuses, then yeah I agree it's bad.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

the marketplace of ideas has resulted in enormous growth in LGBT acceptance and support for LGBT rights over the past two decades.

It could also just as easily decide otherwise. Just like we didn't really care as much about the scourge of Islam before 9/11. That's why we should enshrine and bake in these protections rather than just kinda shrug and let people debate out who counts as a human or not.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i'm gay and grew up in a very socially conservative environment in a southern state where it was technically illegal to be gay

it was fear of coming out, which is a form of speech repression, that was the main thing the right had going for them. once that faded, so did they, because they had no arguments.

Yeah, but that doesn't address being okay with giving a platform to a dude to specifically out people to endanger them. Yes a society where the otherized has to hide benefits the oppressor, but that doesn't give you the right to say some kid in a lovely area has to take one for the greater good.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't address being okay with giving a platform to a dude to specifically out people to endanger them. Yes a society where the otherized has to hide benefits the oppressor, but that doesn't give you the right to say some kid in a lovely area has to take one for the greater good.
I don't know if Milo planned to specifically out people. He was alleged to have been planning that -- but how do they know? Ultimately, he benefited from being shut down since there's a Streisand Effect and most of his audience is online.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 02:13 on May 26, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

I don't know if Milo planned to specifically out people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...s-a7561321.html

https://www.thecut.com/2016/12/milo-yiannopoulos-harassed-a-trans-student-at-uw-milwaukee.html

here friend

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
surprised this hasnt been posted yet.

far cry 5 gets announced tomorrow, it takes place in Montana and the bad guys are a white supremacist christian identity hard right cult.

the alt right is of course pissed and screaming and bitching. as are some dumber liberals(no surprises there unfortunatly) but i liked the last 3 enough and Ubi letting you shoot right wing nutjobs sounds fun.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Actual rural cultists dont look like hipsters

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that's what i was saying. his opponents alleged he was going to do it, milo denied he was going to do it. alleging that someone is going to say something that will lead to imminent lawful harm and then shutting him before he says the thing you're alleging he's going to say (which he denies) seems pre-crimey.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

that's what i was saying. his opponents alleged he was going to do it, milo denied he was going to do it. alleging that someone is going to say something that will lead to imminent lawful harm and then shutting him before he says the thing you're alleging he's going to say (which he denies) seems pre-crimey.

I thought we were talking about outing closeted gay folks. The article says illegal immigrants.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

putting a trans person on a monitor and using them as an object of mockery friend is not pre crime, its a lack of respect for basic personhood.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

I thought we were talking about outing closeted gay folks. The article says illegal immigrants.
the supporters for shutting milo down in berkeley alleged he would out illegal immigrants. he denied it. would he have? i dunno. (how would they know?) is the allegation enough to shut him down? i don't think so.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

the supporters for shutting milo down in berkeley alleged he would out illegal immigrants. he denied it. would he have? i dunno. (how would they know?) is the allegation enough to shut him down? i don't think so.

How would anyone even know immigration status (unless someone was blabbing on tweeter about it). Also, the punishment for a public person like Milo mistakenly calling someone out would be pretty steep (as in a libel lawsuit or slander under criminal code). Which would probably affect HIS status as a person who is allowed in the US.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

How would anyone even know immigration status (unless someone was blabbing on tweeter about it). Also, the punishment for a public person like Milo mistakenly calling someone out would be pretty steep (as in a libel lawsuit or slander under criminal code). Which would probably affect HIS status as a person who is allowed in the US.
It just doesn't add up. As far as Milo's bigotry, yeah he's a nasty troll and a bigot, but a traveling hate preacher would come through my college campus and the students just treated him like a joke, which is what Milo would be if people stopped being afraid of him. And I think people are coming around to that point of view.

If anyone should be afraid of him it's the parents of his "interns"

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Darkman Fanpage posted:

keep spacetoaster out of this thread please.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Wemus posted:

Actual rural cultists dont look like hipsters

I mean this is the alt-right thread

the entire deal is that the thing has made strange bedfellows of christian militia hicks, unmedicated conspiracy theorists, far-right academics, goofy internet chuds, millennial college republicans, and cynical narcissists who just want to be famous, which is also why there's so much infighting

there's plenty of dudes in there with a hipster aesthetic (mostly bc beards and flannel are a "reclaiming your masculinity" thing for cosmopolitan conservatives)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Letting fascists speak freely only seems acceptable when it's not you they're talking about

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I mean this is the alt-right thread

the entire deal is that the thing has made strange bedfellows of christian militia hicks, unmedicated conspiracy theorists, far-right academics, goofy internet chuds, millennial college republicans, and cynical narcissists who just want to be famous, which is also why there's so much infighting

there's plenty of dudes in there with a hipster aesthetic (mostly bc beards and flannel are a "reclaiming your masculinity" thing for cosmopolitan conservatives)
definitely. the dudes on the far cry box could've been photographed at any gun show.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

It just doesn't add up. As far as Milo's bigotry, yeah he's a nasty troll and a bigot, but a traveling hate preacher would come through my college campus and the students just treated him like a joke, which is what Milo would be if people stopped being afraid of him. And I think people are coming around to that point of view.

If anyone should be afraid of him it's the parents of his "interns"

uc berkeley gets hate preachers all the time, the issue with this one was that the College Republicans were like "Milo is good for discourse!" and everyone that's every heard milo talk was like nah man no. lets not have him here. so they cried free speech and then he came around and someone lit a lamp on fire.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, that's the part of peoples' aggrieved defenses of Milo's free speech that I don't get - is the only standard for who should be given a platform and a sanctioned space to talk at a university "a small minority of students want them there"? Even if the reason those students want them there is because they expect him to hurt a lot of peoples' feelings and they think that's funny?

Like even as a right-wing guy... Milo doesn't have academic credentials or intellectual chops, he doesn't have the special insight into institutions you might have from a career in (for ex) politics or policing, even a lot of people who agree with his basic ideology think he's a dancing clown. He's basically a bigoted stand-up comic. Who the gently caress cares if he doesn't get to put on a show?

Why would someone who didn't agree with him think anything of value was being lost?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

E: more from Poland

All this stuff is 'old' but I guess I'm new to Poland being an entire nation of alt-righties. Really gotta bone up on my central European cultures.

lol literally storm saxon

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

I mean, that's the part of peoples' aggrieved defenses of Milo's free speech that I don't get - is the only standard for who should be given a platform and a sanctioned space to talk at a university "a small minority of students want them there"? Even if the reason those students want them there is because they expect him to hurt a lot of peoples' feelings and they think that's funny?

Like even as a right-wing guy... Milo doesn't have academic credentials or intellectual chops, he doesn't have the special insight into institutions you might have from a career in (for ex) politics or policing, even a lot of people who agree with his basic ideology think he's a dancing clown. He's basically a bigoted stand-up comic. Who the gently caress cares if he doesn't get to put on a show?

Why would someone who didn't agree with him think anything of value was being lost?

Yeah if a student club can front the security fee they can basically invite whoever the gently caress they want and UC isn't legally allowed to contest it/block the invite, unless public safety is actually at risk. So in this case it'd have to be legally defensible evidence that Yiannopolous was gonna target specific students like he did at UW Milwaukee.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbqh nobody listens to the street preachers hate because they have no charisma and just look like a borderline schizophrenic ranting

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that rumor that Milo was going to out an illegal or whatever, was something that was spread by Milo himself.

Think about it, logically. If he had that info in the first place, how would stopping him speak at Berkeley prevent that information getting out? He'd just post it on the internet or whatever. Or call up ICE. He has no reason to just sit on it, and there's nothing special about Berkeley that means its anything special if done there.

In which case, the counter response was something Milo himself anticipated for, and planned a response to.

Which means he just played antifa for fools. He was bluffing purely to get a response, nothing more.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Moreover, how exactly would antifa have discovered that information by themselves? Have they organized an intelligence operation, to gather that? Unlikely, that would imply some central organizational, which anarchists naturally have a phobia of. So where did it come from?

More likely, Milo has people inside, or at least one vector to spread misinformation. Maybe a fake message board account or something. Which ironically means he's taking this whole thing more seriously than antifa is.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah! And this whole thing where he literally endorsed pedophilia only for it to come back up right as he was getting big, seems fishy. He probably played us all on that one too!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Which I guess shouldn't surprise anyone, since he doesn't have to work for a living. He has a sugar daddy to cover for that, meaning that this is his job.

That also puts a new spin on his 'troll academy'. That name is just a fake label, it's got nothing to do with trolling. Its a bog standard psy-ops/disinformation group that he's given a internet culture whitewash.

That would also explain why he has 'come back from the dead'. His sugar daddies would need a compelling reason to keep giving money to a pedo apologist, and 'he runs a propaganda machine' is probably a mitigating factor here.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah! And this whole thing where he literally endorsed pedophilia only for it to come back up right as he was getting big, seems fishy. He probably played us all on that one too!
I think that was a genuine setback for him, but remember - he's still getting money from somewhere, in spite of being outed. Why? Who would keep giving him money, and for what reason?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rudatron posted:

I think that was a genuine setback for him, but remember - he's still getting money from somewhere, in spite of being outed. Why? Who would keep giving him money, and for what reason?
I'd look at some of his hangers-on like Ali Akbar, who showed up at his party and works in fleecing PAC donors for a variety of for-profit spam generators. The $12 million Milo cited is a ridiculous number and I don't believe it for a second. The entire Breitbart company would be worth that much.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 05:01 on May 26, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

rudatron posted:

Which I guess shouldn't surprise anyone, since he doesn't have to work for a living. He has a sugar daddy to cover for that, meaning that this is his job.

This is the key point that liberals don't really get, which is the market orientation of a "marketplace of ideas." If there's enough money behind something, it's always going to stick around no matter how unpopular or toxic it is. The only reason liberalism is even the hegemonic ideology right now is because it's the bourgeois ideology, and they've got all the money. And within that class there's always going to be a few fascists or religious nuts who are willing to spend millions of dollars on libertarian think tanks, or Family Values PACs, or shithead outrage mongers. Anything that could give their stupid rear end ideas an air of legitimacy in the public mindset.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That model doesn't really get you where you want to go, though. It explains the persistence of some shoddy intellectual products on the market, but it doesn't provide you any excuse for why nobody wants to buy what you're selling. Linux on the desktop has broader appeal than you guys.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

That model doesn't really get you where you want to go, though. It explains the persistence of some shoddy intellectual products on the market, but it doesn't provide you any excuse for why nobody wants to buy what you're selling. Linux on the desktop has broader appeal than you guys.

But my argument was literally "The marketplace of ideas is a lovely model for deciding basic rights and who lives or dies," I don't think "If your ideas are so good, why aren't they catching on in the market place of ideas, hmm?" really refutes that. If anything you've proven my point-

BY YOUR OWN LOGIC!!!!!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

this owns if true

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Coolness Averted posted:

But my argument was literally "The marketplace of ideas is a lovely model for deciding basic rights and who lives or dies," I don't think "If your ideas are so good, why aren't they catching on in the market place of ideas, hmm?" really refutes that. If anything you've proven my point-

BY YOUR OWN LOGIC!!!!!

...what?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

rudatron posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that rumor that Milo was going to out an illegal or whatever, was something that was spread by Milo himself.

I thought it was the result of a game of telephone. It begun as 'Milo takes stories involving trans and immigrants from the student paper, and mocks them'. Then it evolved to 'further publicity of these published stories is equivalent to doxxing/outing', to 'Milo is planning to doxx/out people at his event'. It's just your standard social media distortion.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

It's a chapo thing, one of the host's twittter handle @byyourownlogic makes fun of how many dumb internet folks think any sort of "If you extend your logic.." argument ever convinces anyone, and are always smug about it. That's also while you'll see ironic quoting of fallacies in c-spam.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
man, I better catch up on my memes or they'll deport me back to d&d.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

It's not even really a meme.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

People with money want to preserve that status, so they use that as leverage to tip the 'market' in their favor. That includes spreading self serving lies about themselves, and their opposition. Since they have influence, and their opponents by definition do not, their 'presence' in the market place of ideas is greatly, greatly over inflated, with respect to its actual validity or coherence.

Therefore, the free market isn't free of ideology coercion, in fact, its a general accepted part of its functioning. But since this coercion is in proportion to property ownership, its not challenged or questioned.

A media landscape dictated by a small number of media conglomerates is effectively equivalent to a totalitarian control of the press, by any metric you care to use. Yet we keep pretending that they're totally separate things. I wonder if that has something to do with the dominant ideology being market fundamentalism :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I'd look at some of his hangers-on like Ali Akbar, who showed up at his party and works in fleecing PAC donors for a variety of for-profit spam generators. The $12 million Milo cited is a ridiculous number and I don't believe it for a second. The entire Breitbart company would be worth that much.
Scammers follow money, they don't give it out. Someone is paying for his stupid poo poo, and while I can agree hes exaggerating for attention, he absolutely will have donors backing him, that he's a running dog for.