Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

IRL though my first viewing order was:
friend fastforwarding though VHS's of the OT to show me the lightsabre battles.
the rest in cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

I literally apologized. And not the goon hyperbole "literally", but the actual dictionary literally. I am sincerely sorry that you are so sensitive. Please don't "call me out" on my totally serious Stark Wars viewing order.

If this thread were Star Wars I would be Obi-Wan (calm, cool) and you'd be Jar Jar (dumb annoying etc.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

New viewing order:
Episode I
Episode III
Rogue One
Episode IV
Episode V
Episode VII

Yeah I think that's the best.

Your missing 2 which owns and is very important.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

2 is extremely redundant tbh. III shows the power of Anakin way better. As does I.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

I don't think Rogue Two came out yet

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lampsacus posted:

2 is extremely redundant tbh. III shows the power of Anakin way better. As does I.

Episode II isn't really about showing Anakin's power. It's about showing Anakin and Padme falling in love, Anakin's response to losing his mother, and the Sith exploiting political rifts within the Republic to create a crisis that causes the Senate to grant Palpatine emergency powers. The story doesn't work without it.

Lampsacus posted:

New viewing order:
Episode I
Episode III
Rogue One
Episode IV
Episode V
Episode VII

Yeah I think that's the best.

Rogue One is totally ancillary to the main narrative. It only exists to explain a background element of the plot that doesn't have much true significance to the thematic arc of the saga. Your viewing order leaves jarring gaps in the actual story while adding two hours' worth of what is basically filler.

Yaws posted:

If this thread were Star Wars I would be Obi-Wan (calm, cool) and you'd be Jar Jar (dumb annoying etc.)

Obi-Wan's a vaguely bigoted colonialist jerk. Jar Jar's a humble everyman.

But yeah saying TESB sucks is extremely hosed up.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 26, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

Rogue One is totally ancillary to the main narrative. It only exists to explain a background element of the plot that doesn't have much true significance to the thematic arc of the saga. Your viewing order leaves jarring gaps in the actual story while adding two hours' worth of what is basically filler.
Hm, fair enough. I'd substitute VI for Rogue One.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Obi-Wan Kenobi is a closeted homosexual who is nonetheless living an extremely fulfilling life of swashbuckling adventure.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

FUUCCCKKK!

Obi-Wan, ladies and gentlemen, cool and calm.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Cnut the Great posted:

Obi-Wan's a vaguely bigoted colonialist jerk. Jar Jar's a humble everyman.

Obi-Wan is a noble warrior who sacrificed himself for his friends. Jar Jar is a bumbling fool.

You're Jabba btw

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/05/mark-hamill-star-wars-nerd

Mark Hamill posted:

Likewise, after reading Rian Johnson’s script for The Last Jedi, Hamill said, “I at one point had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you’ve created and do my best to realize your vision.’

Hamill noted that he has the utmost respect for Johnson and The Force Awakens’s director, J.J. Abrams, and is pleased with how both films have turned out. He just wanted to be heard.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat, so maybe this actually is going someplace interesting.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

drat, so maybe this actually is going someplace interesting.

Yeah this is good news

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Yaws posted:

You're Jabba btw

I was cleared of those charges.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/shdysufjantweet/status/867901651113328640

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Mark Hamill has had some really bad ideas for Luke over the years so Rian doing the exact opposite of what he thinks is right is a good sign

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Did Hamill like the old EU stuff at all?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cat Machine posted:

Mark Hamill has had some really bad ideas for Luke over the years so Rian doing the exact opposite of what he thinks is right is a good sign

See also: Sigourney Weaver

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hamill's ideas sound terrible. I think he's right that having Rey go from zero to laser sword pro with just a single Force vision was kinda crap, though. Unless the point was that the very ideas of "Jedi" and "using the Force requires training, Jedi or Sith" are ultimately "wrong," Rey's Force use was pretty much a reboot/revision of the Force of the OT and PT.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All Rey did was hit Kylo Ren really hard with her lightsaber. Nothing really pro about it.

She just had no fear and confidence.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

From those vanity fair pics it certainly looks like they're going with Darker is Better!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

That is funny, but it's also a reminder that the reason he felt so free to answer that question is because the mystery of the prequels isn't who the Sith are or what their goals are, but how they intend to accomplish those goals. The "how" is also the key to what the films are most deeply about, and so it's not just an arbitrary mystery element, whereas leaving the identity of the villains a secret would be.

It's the same reason Count Dooku is immediately name dropped as the culprit at the beginning of Attack of the Clones--to make it clear that that's not what the mystery is really about. The real mystery is a much more complex one having to do with Count Dooku's motivations, and how he fits into the web of strange connections linking the attempts on Padme Amidala's life with the bounty hunter Jango Fett, the clone army on Kamino, the dead Jedi Sifo-Dyas, the mysterious man called "Tyranus", and the ongoing Sith plot (the mystery is solved for the audience in a single line at the end when Sidious refers to Dooku as Darth Tyranus and commends him for starting the war on schedule). It's an intentionally offbeat storytelling method that Lucas makes consistent use of throughout the prequel trilogy to direct the audience's thinking down specific, otherwise non-obvious avenues.

So hopefully there's a really good answer for who Rey's parents are that somehow manages to intimately tie into the larger themes and message of the sequel trilogy--making the process of discovery meaningful from a fundamental storytelling standpoint--otherwise it'll simply remain yet another pointless Abrams mystery box ploy.

CelticPredator posted:

All Rey did was hit Kylo Ren really hard with her lightsaber. Nothing really pro about it.

She just had no fear and confidence.

You can come up with a lot of justifications for it, but the fact is it just doesn't feel right because you have the Darth Vader of the sequel trilogy--who was introduced as being so far beyond previous dark siders in the series that he was able to literally freeze blaster bolts in mid-air--getting owned by a neophyte who just discovered the Force, with a paper-thin "well he was injured" excuse thrown in. The problem is that every Star Wars movie needs an epic lightsaber battle involving the big bad villain and a hero character. A New Hope and The Phantom Menace solved this problem by having older, experienced Jedi characters in the mix. Abrams didn't have that option because he was, by his own admission, so at a loss for how to write new characters that were capable of holding their own with Luke that he had to throw up his hands and hide Luke away on an island for the whole movie. Hamill's right--that would have been a really good time to have Luke show up.

But Luke's apparently a self-hating screw-up in the new movies, so I guess that wouldn't have made sense.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 26, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shot with a gun explicitly established as being really damaging, emotionally compromised, trying to take her alive - this is paper thin?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

hiddenriverninja posted:

Did Hamill like the old EU stuff at all?
I've never seen him give an opinion on it, but related to that, he did narrate a TV commercial for the first novel of the New Jedi Order series as Luke. Other than the radio dramas of the movies, I think that's the only Star Wars project between ROTJ and TFA where he played Luke (though in non-Luke parts, he also voiced Darth Bane in Clone Wars).

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 26, 2017

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Cnut the Great posted:

You can come up with a lot of justifications for it, but the fact is it just doesn't feel right because you have the Darth Vader of the sequel trilogy--who was introduced as being so far beyond previous dark siders in the series that he was able to literally freeze blaster bolts in mid-air--getting owned by a neophyte who just discovered the Force, with a paper-thin "well he was injured" excuse thrown in.

She had been fighting using the force for some time on Jakku with her staff. She didn't know she was doing it, but Luke didn't know until the end of A New Hope that he was using the force to shoot womprats.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm sure Hamill sees Luke as a hero who, while conflicted, would never actually fall to the Dark Side. The fact that Luke may actually need to be redeemed, and that he may not even think of himself as a Jedi anymore, probably doesn't sit well with him. I mean my guess for who "The Last Jedi" refers to is definitely Rey, not Luke. They've been teasing that there's a gigantic twist somewhere in this movie, and Luke being revealed as a villain would probably fit that bill. Not that he wouldn't eventually be turned back to the Light but I doubt Hamill would be happy about even a temporary heel turn.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Anakin manifested his connection to the Force by podracing and winning as a human, despite his deficient human reflexes; he became known as a great pilot. Luke Skywalker owned two vehicles and was an excellent pilot of the faster of the two (though this mostly ended up on the cutting room floor); before he was able to command the Force to do his bidding, he'd listened to it to destroy the Death Star.

Rey drives a tractor and hits people with a quarterstaff, but is not shown to be any kind of prodigy or really even talent; the Force wakes up, and then she can use it. The Force Rebooted is about getting the younger cast into lightsaber battles as fast as possible, regardless of what the other movies said.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Force works in mysterious ways

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was established that Rey was an excellent fighter already . Makes sense she could handle a laser sword

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also Kylo was injured and may just not be very good on his own .

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

It was established that Rey was an excellent fighter already . Makes sense she could handle a laser sword

I don't care about her beating Kylo Ren, he was injured. It is her calling the laser sword and using it that I think are the revision; a staff is not very much like a sword.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit . Too snarky.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

You don't need the force to use laser swords. 4 armed cyborgs can use them too, as well as jetpack terrorists

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Burbo posted:

You don't need the force to use laser swords. 4 armed cyborgs can use them too, as well as jetpack terrorists

Yeah but they didn't have a permit. Also I'm watching a Giant Bomb Premium Stream of The Force Unleashed and the Rebellion sends dudes with nightsticks after Vader's secret apprentice.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Cat Machine posted:

I like how he admits that his ideas are largely terrible fanfiction that he just wants to get off his chest.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I have 0 faith in Rian Johnson. Looper sucked rear end.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i liked seeing a lightsaber fight between two relative amateurs. it was one of the better parts of the movie imo

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TWIST FIST posted:

i liked seeing a lightsaber fight between two relative amateurs. it was one of the better parts of the movie imo

Yeah, and then Rey stepped in

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Bongo Bill posted:

Shot with a gun explicitly established as being really damaging, emotionally compromised, trying to take her alive - this is paper thin?

We also know that that wasn't the first time she'd fought with a staff-like weapon. Safe to guess that the attack she fended off was just the latest in a long line of such incidents given that she was young and alone. The analog would be Luke flying his T-16 being sufficient to expertly fly an advanced starfighter.

There's also precedent for an athletically superior opponent losing because of arrogance -- Maul stupiding himself to death after bitch-slapping Obi-Wan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

homullus posted:

Yeah, and then Rey stepped in

how dare you twist my words like that

• Locked thread