Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bad(ish) news about my 960 Evo and Asus X99 motherboard. It indeed disappears on warm reboots, but the motherboard also automatically reboots when it can't find a boot drive and on the second reboot it's worked every single time. It's not the worst thing in the world considering it's never failed to boot after a second try, but with the newest motherboard bios and drive firmware it still doesn't seem 100% reliable. For now it means reboots take like a minute longer for the missing boot device error to time out (or me to remember and reboot it manually) and I'll try messing more with it later. Besides that performance is fine, 3GB/s reads 2GB/s writes, and it never fails once it's booted. I know it's not a great report back, but I hate posts where people describe a problem and then disappear with no resolution.

Edit: (Hopefully) Fixed it! I disabled the Compatibility Support Module entirely, auto is no good, nor are any of the detailed settings for various components. Setting it to disabled seems to have fixed it, at least in my case. Hopefully that can help someone else in the future.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I bought a second-hand laptop which, according to Crystaldiskinfo, contains a near-new Samsung 830 SSD but only 128GB. I've got a Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB SSD in my PC which is 3 years old, and has been used for roughly 16.000 hours but doesn't show any problems at all. I'll be selling the PC somewhere later this month and switching to the laptop for all my PC needs cause I'll be moving to a different country.

Should I switch the 840 into my laptop for the extra GB's even though it's a much older part, or should I keep the 128GB one? If I could be fairly certain that my old SSD can still last a bunch of years I'd happily switch, but I only have experience with normal hdd's that crap out after 5-10 years. I checked some articles on SSD lifespan and they usually show calculations that end with some sort of heat-death of the universe timespan, but info from SSD's in google datacenters seems to suggest that age is more important than usage.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 7, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
830 is MLC 2 bit NAND. 840 EVO is TLC 3 bit NAND. 840 EVO is twice as big so will last longer... as long as the controller doesn't poo poo the bed and those do have read consistency problems.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Thanks, didn't know about the MLC/TLC difference and that size influenced lifespan. Time to switch to the larger one and be more diligent with my backups I guess. As far as I can gather from the SMART data the 840 seems to be in good shape. That probably doesn't say anything about the controller but I'll risk it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fleve posted:

Thanks, didn't know about the MLC/TLC difference and that size influenced lifespan. Time to switch to the larger one and be more diligent with my backups I guess. As far as I can gather from the SMART data the 840 seems to be in good shape. That probably doesn't say anything about the controller but I'll risk it.

The 840 EVO has serious read problems. The controller doesn't refresh data correctly and files sitting for a long time can start to read extremely slowly. They kind of fixed this with a firmware update which also burns through more nand. The 830 is likely to have higher performance. Also I haven't had any 830s die on me at all. I have had 4 84O evo and pros die on me. :/

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Aw bugger that sounds a lot more serious than I thought it would be. Well, and a bit better cause I kept thinking the 830 wasn't that great because I stupidly associated it with the SSD it originally seems to have replaced in the laptop, an mSATA Samsung PM851.

Then I'll just live with 128GB till I decide to replace it with a new drive. Thanks for the advice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fleve posted:

Aw bugger that sounds a lot more serious than I thought it would be. Well, and a bit better cause I kept thinking the 830 wasn't that great because I stupidly associated it with the SSD it originally seems to have replaced in the laptop, an mSATA Samsung PM851.

Then I'll just live with 128GB till I decide to replace it with a new drive. Thanks for the advice.

This is mostly academic. But yeah if the 128 hasn't been used much, probably use that drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a 64GB 830 in my Linux laptop

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redeyes posted:

The 840 EVO has serious read problems. The controller doesn't refresh data correctly and files sitting for a long time can start to read extremely slowly. They kind of fixed this with a firmware update which also burns through more nand. The 830 is likely to have higher performance. Also I haven't had any 830s die on me at all. I have had 4 84O evo and pros die on me. :/

This is bollocks. The firmware update fixed the problem.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'd run the bigger drive if you can use the space. If it starts running like poo poo worry about it then.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820177031 garbage? Newegg's got it for $200 through the daily email and I'm tempted, but it has that weird stain in the shape of 'PNY' on it, so IDK

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Munkeymon posted:

Is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820177031 garbage? Newegg's got it for $200 through the daily email and I'm tempted, but it has that weird stain in the shape of 'PNY' on it, so IDK

That capacity at that price makes me think it's another drive built using the E7 controller which there are plenty of on the market. If that is the case, it's not a remarkable deal by any means - as it would be more or less the same drive as the mydigitalSSD BPX and I think the WD Black if I'm not mistaken, both have the same capacity around that same price point.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can get a Samsung 960 Evo for 212 through Jet with the new account promo. https://jet.com/product/SAMSUNG-960-EVO-M2-500GB-NVMe-PCI-Express-30-x4-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-M/49359f2e49f746b7875845e403d7fa37

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Spring cleaning is overdue. Current OP text below - What would you add, move, remove?

Consumer SATA
Top Picks: Samsung 850 EVO, SanDisk x400
Recommended: Crucial MX300
Budget Only: Samsung 750, SanDisk z400s

Datacenter SATA
Recommended: SanDisk Extreme Pro, Samsung 850 PRO, Intel DC line of products

Consumer NVMe
Top Picks: Samsung 960 EVO, Intel 750
Recommended: OCZ RD400 (This redeemed Toshiba OCZ from the No Fly List!)
Budget Only: Intel 600p (If you must use NVMe m.2 - an 850 EVO outperforms it bang-for-buck)

Datacenter NVMe
Recommended: Samsung 960 PRO (This is a “consumer” drive that is built and behaves like a datacenter-ready device), Intel DC Series

Consumer 3D Xpoint
Recommended: (none yet)

Datacenter 3D Xpoint

The No-Fly List:
poo poo Tier: ADATA
Shady Scammers: Plextor, Kingston
Danger Zone: Any refurbished SSD (stay away by default, there can be exceptions - ask for a sanity check)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I don't even know if the itty-bitty m.2 Optane stick even fits the niche of what is commonly understood to be a "consumer" system. :vomarine:

Maaaaaybe it can be included with a heavy caveat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would say the HGST Ultrastar SN series are worthy additions to the enterprise nvme section. They're just harder to find than the Intels. Samsung PM1725a too.

For the Optane I don't know who would really need one that much. They're great for folks who need really cheap nvme pcie endpoints and don't care about capacity, though!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

You can get a WD Black 512GB for $199, a SanDisk x400 for $190, or a WD Blue 500GB for $150. The WD Blue uses the same components as a SanDisk X400, though both the X400 and Blue only read at 500MB/s.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

SlayVus posted:

You can get a WD Black 512GB for $199, a SanDisk x400 for $190, or a WD Blue 500GB for $150. The WD Blue uses the same components as a SanDisk X400, though both the X400 and Blue only read at 500MB/s.

You suggested an NVMe and two SATA drives though. Different performance and not all M.2 slots do both.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

Spring cleaning is overdue. Current OP text below - What would you add, move, remove?

Consumer SATA
Top Picks: Samsung 850 EVO, SanDisk x400
Recommended: Crucial MX300
Budget Only: Samsung 750, SanDisk z400s

Datacenter SATA
Recommended: SanDisk Extreme Pro, Samsung 850 PRO, Intel DC line of products

Consumer NVMe
Top Picks: Samsung 960 EVO, Intel 750
Recommended: OCZ RD400 (This redeemed Toshiba OCZ from the No Fly List!)
Budget Only: Intel 600p (If you must use NVMe m.2 - an 850 EVO outperforms it bang-for-buck)

Datacenter NVMe
Recommended: Samsung 960 PRO (This is a “consumer” drive that is built and behaves like a datacenter-ready device), Intel DC Series

Consumer 3D Xpoint

Datacenter 3D Xpoint

The No-Fly List:
poo poo Tier: ADATA
Shady Scammers: Plextor, Kingston
Danger Zone: Any refurbished SSD (stay away by default, there can be exceptions - ask for a sanity check)

x400 is pretty much gone and replaced with WD Blue which has its firmware problems fixed.....by using the x400 firmware. :cb:

Sandisk is being given the HGST treatment so expect the rest of their consumer drives to disappear and be replaced with identical ones with WD branding.

WD Black is within "good enough" for nvme drives like the 600p is, faster than the 600p in most cases but obviously much less endurance

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I guess that thing wasn't such an amazing deal, so nevermind - I'm still figuring out relative NVMe lines/classes. Seems like everything is fuzzier and less standardized than SATA's nice clear I/II/III, but maybe I just haven't figured out what keywords to look for yet.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

WD Black is within "good enough" for nvme drives like the 600p is, faster than the 600p in most cases but obviously much less endurance
I could have sworn the 600p had so-so endurance. TLC memory and Intel is conservative with their rating.
[edit] oh they fixed their ratings: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-600p-endurance-tbw-warranty,32798.html

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The recommendation to avoid Adata holds.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there such a thing as M.2 PCIe SSDs that aren't also NVMe? I am trying to find a suitable SSD for a Dell Optiplex 7040 Micro and can't seem to find anything official that states that it can take NVMe drives.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there such a thing as M.2 PCIe SSDs that aren't also NVMe?
Yes. M.2 supports 3 different protocols: Legacy SATA, AHCI over PCIe, and NVMe over PCIe.

Thanks Ants posted:

I am trying to find a suitable SSD for a Dell Optiplex 7040 Micro and can't seem to find anything official that states that it can take NVMe drives.
I might have some of these around the lab. I'll poke around.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Randomly checked the compatibility list on WD's website for their 512GB Black NVMe SSD and the 7040 Micro is listed, so I guess that answers that question.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes. M.2 supports 3 different protocols: Legacy SATA, AHCI over PCIe, and NVMe over PCIe.

I think one of the three supported protocols is USB3, and you can lump SATA and AHCI together, but that doesn't really change the answer.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
My 840 Evo kind of died last weekend. The timing is interesting and the way it's died has me curious, expecially as I can't perform a secure erase.
I had windows 10 installed with bitlocker.

Running windows restore from a live usb couldn't fix it. I tried various sata controllers/pcs. Some get further than others. So the best I can do it to run a linux live setup, and I can access and read 2 boot partitions and one recovery partition. The main partition is unreadable even at the dd level. So the disks isn't completely lost but I can't seem to perform a secure erase.

I've tried various tools, the samsung secure erase boot disk just says that it's not possible to secure erase the disk. hdparm can't perform a secure erase. More interestingly the hdparm tool get get the drive info but the security section about whether it is locked, etc is missing.

Has anyone experienced or herd of anything like this before? Is it possible for bitlocker to enable hardware encryption at a partition level rather than disk level? Is there any reason I can read from partition from a disk but performing secure erase or factory reset is not possible?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xPanda posted:

I think one of the three supported protocols is USB3, and you can lump SATA and AHCI together, but that doesn't really change the answer.
Right, I was talking storage device protocols. I haven't seen anything use USB in M.2 for storage purposes.

Also you can't lump Legacy SATA and AHCI together. They're two distinct implementations: one goes over the SATA PHY and the other is AHCI over the PCIe PHY.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

FSMC posted:

My 840 Evo kind of died last weekend. The timing is interesting and the way it's died has me curious, expecially as I can't perform a secure erase.

Running windows restore from a live usb couldn't fix it. I tried various sata controllers/pcs. Some get further than others. So the best I can do it to run a linux live setup, and I can access and read 2 boot partitions and one recovery partition. The main partition is unreadable even at the dd level. So the disks isn't completely lost but I can't seem to perform a secure erase.

I've tried various tools, the samsung secure erase boot disk just says that it's not possible to secure erase the disk. hdparm can't perform a secure erase. More interestingly the hdparm tool get get the drive info but the security section about whether it is locked, etc is missing.

Has anyone experienced or herd of anything like this before? Is it possible for bitlocker to enable hardware encryption at a partition level rather than disk level? Is there any reason I can read from partition from a disk but performing secure erase or factory reset is not possible?

Unless you work for or know for sure you are a target of the NSA, CIA or FBI (or equivalent), you should stop worrying and responsibly recycle it as you would any electronics. Otherwise, pry off the lid and take a drill to the center of every chip you can see and then recycle it. There are no middle options.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
IIRC Bitlocker has to work at partition level - that's why it creates a second (unencrypted) boot partition if you don't already have onw

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FSMC posted:

Samsung has a secure erase utility worth trying. Most likely you will have to pull the power cable out of the SSD while booted with the secure erase utility, then plug back in. The drives are locked at boot up and pulling power fixes that for some reason.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

redeyes posted:

Samsung has a secure erase utility worth trying. Most likely you will have to pull the power cable out of the SSD while booted with the secure erase utility, then plug back in. The drives are locked at boot up and pulling power fixes that for some reason.

Imagine if they weren't and cryptolocker type malware would secure erase your SSD after the countdown expired.

Requiring the user to fiddle with the power plug while the system is powered on is a nice way to prevent just that from happening and I'm still amazed that viruses/malware targeting the BIOS haven't gotten back in vogue now that they're all flashable from within Windows.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

redeyes posted:

I've tried that, without any luck. For reference, I had another samsung ssd which I did perform a secure erase on which means I have a decent reference of what I need to do. But this ssd just appears to defy every guide and software I've come across. A normal samsung drive would say under the security section that it is locked, etc. but this drive doesn't even display that info.Oh and windows or any windows recovery tools just locks up when the drive is connected.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Geemer posted:

Requiring the user to fiddle with the power plug while the system is powered on is a nice way to prevent just that from happening and I'm still amazed that viruses/malware targeting the BIOS haven't gotten back in vogue now that they're all flashable from within Windows.
It's nice until you have a laptop and you can't exactly fiddle with a power plug.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FSMC posted:

I've tried that, without any luck. For reference, I had another samsung ssd which I did perform a secure erase on which means I have a decent reference of what I need to do. But this ssd just appears to defy every guide and software I've come across. A normal samsung drive would say under the security section that it is locked, etc. but this drive doesn't even display that info.Oh and windows or any windows recovery tools just locks up when the drive is connected.

Yeah if recovery tools just lock up the drive is borked and time break out the hammer.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I mean, I'm not surprised.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b9bc/a3c9f531002854af48de121cdcc8e0520c7f.pdf

a bunch of nerds posted:

This paper shows that the two-step programming mechanism
commonly employed in modern MLC NAND ash memory
chips opens up new vulnerabilities to errors, based
on an experimental characterization of modern 1X-nm MLC
NAND ash chips. We show that the root cause of these vulnerabilities
is the fact that when a partially-programmed cell
is set to an intermediate threshold voltage, it is much more
susceptible to both cell-to-cell program interference and read
disturb. We demonstrate that (1) these vulnerabilities lead to
errors that reduce the overall reliability of ash memory, and
(2) attackers can potentially exploit these vulnerabilities to
maliciously corrupt data belonging to other programs.

In other news, the background section is extremely well put together.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
New MX300 firmware: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-firmware-update-improves-crucial-mx300-stability.html

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

How important is one SSD for your OS and another for your games? I've been hearing more and more that it makes a difference.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

How important is one SSD for your OS and another for your games? I've been hearing more and more that it makes a difference.

Kind of a pain to deal with 2 disks - just buy one big one.

As far as performance is considered, it's not going to be noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No reason to do that, just shove everything on one SSD if you have the space.