Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

When you think about it, any reduction to the tax rate of lower income brackets also reduces the bill of higher income households. Sneaky, sneaky!

gently caress means-testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

So Y'all have turned on a dime and now think handwringing about the deficit and attacks on the efficacy of government to implement complex policy are totally valid arguments agains expanding the welfare state? Truly the beating heart of leftism ITT.

Context matters. Screaming about "THE DEFICIT" is not the same as bringing up that a minimum wage increase > EITC.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

loving worthless Democrats waiting until 2018 to pass $15 an hour:

quote:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi on Thursday vowed to take up a $15 minimum wage in the first 100 hours of the next Congress if Democrats take back the chamber next year.

Pelosi offered the commitment while appearing alongside fellow Democratic leaders and advocates to release new legislation raising the minimum wage to $15. Her comments offer an early view at Democrats' potential agenda for the House if they can regain control in 2018, a long-shot prospect that some in the party think could grow increasingly more realistic given President Donald Trump and the GOP's recent struggles.

If "we win the election," Pelosi told the gathered audience, "in the first 100 hours we will pass a $15 minimum wage."

The California Democrat conspicuously harkened to 2007, when her caucus raised the minimum wage to its current level of $7.25 as part of an ambitious campaign for its first 100 hours in power. That 10-year-old agenda also included lowering the interest rate on student loans and allowing the government to negotiate drug prices under Medicare.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/25/democrats-2018-agenda-minimum-wage-increase-238828

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm a little concerned that part of the recent Democratic support for stuff like $15/hr and (even moreso) single-payer/Medicare-for-All might be predicated on them not controlling either group in Congress and having zero chance of actually passing anything.

I mean, it's still a good thing regardless (since merely expressing approval helps to normalize such ideas/policies), but I can't help but feel kind of cautious/cynical.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it's predicated on the fact that dem fundraising is hitting 8 year lows and so the dems now have to come crawling back to their base cup in hand. as soon as they win and corporate dollars start flowing in again they'll ignore us again

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 25, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Condiv posted:

it's predicated on the fact that dem fundraising is hitting 30 year lows and so the dems now have to come crawling back to their base cup in hand. as soon as they win and corporate dollars start flowing in again they'll ignore us again

Yeah, at this point, I think a lot of their base is going to need to see proof before dollars start rolling in.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

Also JC you're still a massive moron without an understanding of economics, who's pretending they're a loving professor. Even if minimum wage leads to price increases, that doesn't mean that people living on that wage will experience a decrease in living standards - in fact, it must increase. Why? Because total costs = total wages + dividends, and not everyone is on minimum wage. Only human beings actually earn money. Each product has some proportion of wage labor built into it, which has the different wage levels contributing to the cost, ie: 30% minimum wage, 40% median wage, 30% high wage. Even if the minimum wage increases, that only affects the proportion of the labor in a product that pays minimum wage. That price increase will be both proportional to the wage increase, but also to the proportion of labor that pays minium wage, which since it is less than 100%, must mean that the product of the two, which is the proportional increase in the cost of production, must be less than the proportional increase in the minimum wage.

You are not considering people outside the labor force, and the unemployed. Yes, the people who get a wage increase will be better off, even if prices increase as well. But those who don't or can't work just get stuck with higher prices. Around 20% of households have no members employed. These households are, obviously, disproportionately poor and particularly vulnerable to price increases.

Condiv posted:

it's predicated on the fact that dem fundraising is hitting 8 year lows and so the dems now have to come crawling back to their base cup in hand. as soon as they win and corporate dollars start flowing in again they'll ignore us again

You're confusing DNC fundraising and democratic fundraising. The latter is at historic highs--actblue processed over 100 million in donations in the first quarter of 2017.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
if you opposed the Democrats because of their ties to institutional donors, you should be cheering the low fundraising of the DNC, as it weakens the Democrats' ties to large donors

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I absolutely am cheering for low DNC fundraising numbers.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Of they want that "Bernie money," they need to adopt his platform.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Ah JC now pretends to like those on welfare.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

JeffersonClay posted:

You are not considering people outside the labor force, and the unemployed. Yes, the people who get a wage increase will be better off, even if prices increase as well. But those who don't or can't work just get stuck with higher prices. Around 20% of households have no members employed. These households are, obviously, disproportionately poor and particularly vulnerable to price increases.

Strengthen the social safety net.

This isn't that hard, dude.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

These discussions can get so acrimonious, I'm glad we can agree on the desperate need for a basic income and not just a minimum wage or tax credit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, but the benefit still ultimately outweighs the harm, because the overwhelming majority of the benefit targets people who are relatively poor economically (or at least below median income) while the harm/costs are distributed more towards higher earners (when compared with the benefits, that is).

Also, that's not considering the fact that significantly increased spending (resulting from increased wages) would likely result in increased hiring (because increased demand requires increased supply), though I'm not making that a core part of the argument because it's difficult to quantify how big this effect would be. But the point is that this isn't a zero sum situation; increasing minimum wage also improves the local economies in poorer areas in addition to its more direct effects.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Strengthen the social safety net.

This isn't that hard, dude.

Yes, that would be more effective. But what about the deficit? :rolleyes:

Ytlaya posted:

Yes, but the benefit still ultimately outweighs the harm, because the overwhelming majority of the benefit targets people who are relatively poor economically (or at least below median income) while the harm/costs are distributed more towards higher earners (when compared with the benefits, that is).

Also, that's not considering the fact that significantly increased spending (resulting from increased wages) would likely result in increased hiring (because increased demand requires increased supply), though I'm not making that a core part of the argument because it's difficult to quantify how big this effect would be. But the point is that this isn't a zero sum situation; increasing minimum wage also improves the local economies in poorer areas in addition to its more direct effects.

All of this is probably true, although increased hiring only addresses a piece of the problem because many households don't earn wages due to disability and age rather than a lack of suitable employment. It's important to remember that while the overall effect is to transfer wealth from the rich to minimum wage workers, there's also a transfer from poor households without wage-earners to minimum wage workers, which is undesirable. The EITC doesn't have that problem, and neither does welfare generally, assuming they're not financed by taxing the poor.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

JeffersonClay posted:

But what about the deficit?
The mating call of the Yellow-bellied Liberal.

I propose we shrink the deficit by requiring the rich to actually pay taxes. Radical, I know.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
on topic:

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/867892182765772802

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JeffersonClay posted:

For example, people on food stamps. Someone who gets $80 a month for food is likely to react with incandescent fury at the notion that they suddenly have to pay more for their groceries.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

JC, ignoring that deficit derail for a second, do you support a means test free payroll payment from the federal government to everyone, or do you just envision the current EITC being spread out across the year, with its current means test qualifications largely still in place? Because other than that, it seems you have not provided any meaningful ways to tackle these issues.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, that would be more effective. But what about the deficit? :rolleyes:

gently caress you, you disingenuous prick. Don't quote me out of context.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

For example, people on food stamps. Someone who gets $80 a month for food is likely to react with incandescent fury at the notion that they suddenly have to pay more for their groceries.

SNAP benefits are automatically adjusted for inflation every year.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

the one weakness of the anime conservative, someone who knows anything about anything

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VitalSigns posted:

Also we waste 40% of our food. There's plenty to ensure everyone can eat. There's 6 houses to every homeless person, most of them lovely McMansions. There's no reason to have hungry or homeless people in our country other than to make the wealthy even richer.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I have to say given all the hot takes here about Quist being the progressive candidate and Ossoff being the devil-centrist one, it's pretty good to see Quist losing and Ossof likely winning.

What happened to that great silent progressive majority that the thread was crowing about?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

shrike82 posted:

I have to say given all the hot takes here about Quist being the progressive candidate and Ossoff being the devil-centrist one, it's pretty good to see Quist losing and Ossof likely winning.

What happened to that great silent progressive majority that the thread was crowing about?

Jesus Christ.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

I rate this troll post 3/10. Really need to put more effort into it. Quist ran with very little support from the party, and put up a good show. I hope he's there in 2018.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Idk silly hippy dumb-leftist candidate Quist is on track to outdo Pragmatic Serious-Person's Choice Hillary Clinton in Montana by double digits, and her opponent was a self-admitted pussygrabbing rapist :shrug:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Idk silly hippy dumb-leftist candidate Quist is on track to outdo Pragmatic Serious-Person's Choice Hillary Clinton in Montana by double digits, and her opponent was a self-admitted pussygrabbing rapist :shrug:

Hey, I hope to see more like him running in 2018. Guy really put up a good fight and didn't run a joke of a campaign.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey, I hope to see more like him running in 2018. Guy really put up a good fight and didn't run a joke of a campaign.

I always like candidates who aren't the typical credentialed lawyer/politician. Nothing more democratic than that. And Quist is probably the best kind of Democrat you could get out of Montana.

I'd like to see more Democratic candidates in deep Republican areas that have positions that focus less on the wedge issues and more on what affects people's everyday lives (economic, healthcare, etc).

Bernie's "big tent" approach is the way forward, seems like Perez agrees too. You can get a lot of diverse groups that differ on socials issues united with a solid economic program and real healthcare reform, since these issues go beyond the more divisive social identity politics.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 26, 2017

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20
JeffersonClay, do you have any specific problem with Universal Basic Income?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it helps the poor

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

shrike82 posted:

We've been busy sharpening our aim at the shooting range. Talking about Marx.

Let me show you.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Heath Mello had NARAL sink him and Quist had some retard from the Guardian getting 'body-slammed'...will some national story happen to Jon Ossoff that will rally local conservatives in the final moments of his campaign? I'm guessing no.

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/867831459427504128

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Call Me Charlie posted:

Heath Mello had NARAL sink him and Quist had some retard from the Guardian getting 'body-slammed'...will some national story happen to Jon Ossoff that will rally local conservatives in the final moments of his campaign? I'm guessing no.

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/867831459427504128

Lmao that's great. I love watching liberals getting slapped by reality time and time again because they keep expecting the other side to "grow up"/waiting for the "honorable" republicans to show up and vote against the big mean GOP.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Scent of Worf posted:

Lmao that's great. I love watching liberals getting slapped by reality time and time again because they keep expecting the other side to "grow up"/waiting for the "honorable" republicans to show up and vote against the big mean GOP.
I don't love it and I don't think it's great, but I share the sentiment that it's loving pathetic. If you seriously thought even a moderate Republican was going to be turned off by this then you're just as great a danger to society as Gianforte or any other House Republican.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
And of course the Trump thread just dogpiles anyone who expresses the slightest bit of negativity. When an electorate prefers literal criminals and fascists, what the gently caress do you do?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Verus posted:

And of course the Trump thread just dogpiles anyone who expresses the slightest bit of negativity. When an electorate prefers literal criminals and fascists, what the gently caress do you do?
Thin out the electorate of course. The problem is that we haven't been hunting these motherfuckers in a long time and their population has swelled and verging on collapse and dragging the entire ecosystem down with them. The humane thing to do is cull their numbers back to something reasonable.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

if you opposed the Democrats because of their ties to institutional donors, you should be cheering the low fundraising of the DNC, as it weakens the Democrats' ties to large donors

i am. didn't you see the part where i'm happy they're forced to crawl back to their base? doesn't mean i trust the slime though, they'll abandon us again once they think they can. gotta primary em all.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Verus posted:

The one-two strategy of 'Coax & Compromise,' especially when it isn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kilroy posted:

Thin out the electorate of course. The problem is that we haven't been hunting these motherfuckers in a long time and their population has swelled and verging on collapse and dragging the entire ecosystem down with them. The humane thing to do is cull their numbers back to something reasonable.

"We?" The only thing you and this thread are capable of hunting is the next box of Nutra-Grains.

Speaking of which, the college professor in Berkeley who thought it'd be a good idea to cave in 3 Trump supporter's skulls with a bike lock is currently locked up on 200 grand bail. Preaching political violence may play well with the D&D crowd, but out in the real world, stable normal people don't particularly care for it.

• Locked thread