Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, it doesn't sound like they are going to be leaving their kids much less in the way of assets, so making sure that they have life insurance for them sounds like the only decent choice they made. Of course they shot themselves in the foot with whole insurance, but its still better than buying another disney vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Yea, it doesn't sound like they are going to be leaving their kids much less in the way of assets, so making sure that they have life insurance for them sounds like the only decent choice they made. Of course they shot themselves in the foot with whole insurance, but its still better than buying another disney vacation.

I've never heard of whole life offered through work, only term which is GWM especially since they have kids.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Our work has a life insurance policy on our behalf which is one year of income, and her husband is a federal employee (prison guard) so I'm assuming there is probably a similar benefit if they were to die prematurely. Also, term life was also offered at the meeting today, but not pitched as hard as you would imagine.

And I was wrong, it was their 4 year old daughter who said "But we don't have any money".

This was not meant to be in any way a "you won't believe this" type story, but in a way it's even more depressing because this kind of systematic-crappy-decisions is really common.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That family I mentioned before's oldest daughter let some random guy use her Uber account, which resulted in $150 in charges that overdrew her parents' account. The kid was 15 years old and that's the first time she realized her parents had no money. Like a real-life melodramatic over the top "you mean we're poor!?!!" moment.

On one side it sucks knowing about your family's bad finances because that causes all kinds of stress and worry for kids. On the other, it at least let's you know that your 'normal' isn't 'normal' and is probably not behavior to aspire to.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Ashcans posted:

Even the worst methods of saving are better than not saving at all

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Krispy Kareem posted:

That family I mentioned before's oldest daughter let some random guy use her Uber account, which resulted in $150 in charges that overdrew her parents' account. The kid was 15 years old and that's the first time she realized her parents had no money. Like a real-life melodramatic over the top "you mean we're poor!?!!" moment.

On one side it sucks knowing about your family's bad finances because that causes all kinds of stress and worry for kids. On the other, it at least let's you know that your 'normal' isn't 'normal' and is probably not behavior to aspire to.

Maybe this is me being an old man yelling at clouds, but why would you let your 15-year old have an Uber account, let alone one linked to your bank account, and where is a 15-year old taking Uber for $150?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Maybe this is me being an old man yelling at clouds, but why would you let your 15-year old have an Uber account, let alone one linked to your bank account, and where is a 15-year old taking Uber for $150?

I dunno maybe she needed and uber to go to an Ariana Grande concert.

In regards to whole life though, if they are so bad at not blowing all their money to actually save anything, having a crappy life insurance plan is still better than nothing. It's not GWM, but its not terrible just sub-optimal.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 24, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The kid she gave the Uber info to rode around with it for like a week or two. Hence the $150.

As for why she even had it. Who knows. They probably had her use it once or twice and never revoked the access. I can see multiple situations where you'd want your kid to have something like that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Kareem posted:

The kid she gave the Uber info to rode around with it for like a week or two. Hence the $150.

What a little rear end in a top hat

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Being able to use their phone to get home immediately is something I'd want my kid to be able to do, I totally get that. Sharing it like it's a netflix account is pretty bizarre though.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
She gave him access to her Tinder Plus account, and he racked up $300 in Undo Swipes and Super Likes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
By getting in the ground floor of the exciting business opportunity, her 15-year old sister will be able to retire at 19.

This could be you! Inbox me for details!

quote:

My Mom [46F] wants to sign me [25F] for her MLM company, threw a fit

My mom and I have always had a rocky relationship, since forever. She is also diagnosed bipolar, this is probably relevant.

So my Mom is no stranger to Multi Level Marketing Schemes (MLM). She asked me do to her a "favor" and test out some beauty products and take before / afters. Sure. Why not. So when I get to her house to pick it up, she starts trying to sell me on the company. I have absolutely NO desire to join in; I don't believe in MLM's, I think they are scammy and unethical. I told her this. She goes on to argue me on the subject, saying that all companies are MLM's (wat) and look how much money I could make, and hey! it's [only] 700$ to sign up!! Ha. No, seriously, not interested.

So she gets mad at me for saying no, starts going on about how she's giving me 250$ worth of product. Then she says that it's my birthday present (which is 5 months away). WHAT? I am doing YOU a favor. I'd rather have $250 for my birthday present, thanks!

Anyways. All is fine and I go home, talk to my boyfriend about it and he says I should just give her back the product and wash my hands of the whole situation. I thought this was a good idea, so I texted her saying I was no longer interested in using the product, and it upset me that she used a favor and somehow turned it into MY birthday present (which is besides the point but still irks me), and she loses her mind and stops texting back. OK WHATEVER. I leave it alone.

Today, I wake up to a notification and she tagged me and my best friend in a status about this product, which I promptly deleted from my page, unfriended her (immature, whatever) and blocked her. Texted my bff, apologize and tell her she can just delete it too. The thing that bothers me the MOST is that in that post, she says that she signed up my 15 YEAR OLD SISTER underneath her?! What the hell? How is this even legal..? OK you're an adult, waste your money and harass your facebook friends to sign up for some stupid company. I don't care, you're a grown-rear end woman, but I am so angry at my mom for signing my little sister up. So I texted my mom and got mad at her telling her it was sleazy and she basically laughed it off.

What do I do? My mom has generally been a point of contention for me and though I don't live with her, our relationship is generally pretty poo poo. She always jokes about my looks (negatively), and constantly compares us (weight, hair, etc). Part of me wants to rid my life of this negative energy but ...she's my mom. The other part of me feels extremely guilty for wanting to cut her out, because well, she raised me.

UPDATE: I messaged my little sister, with links explaining why pyramid schemes are bull, why this specific company is bull. My mom replied through my sister's phone and told me not to talk her out of it just because I can't see the value. Erggghhhhhh

tl;dr: Mom tried to sign me up for a MLM, did sign up my little sister [15F], what do I do?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

dreesemonkey posted:

Our work has a life insurance policy on our behalf which is one year of income, and her husband is a federal employee (prison guard) so I'm assuming there is probably a similar benefit if they were to die prematurely. Also, term life was also offered at the meeting today, but not pitched as hard as you would imagine.

I get free life insurance for me and pay 3.83/ paycheck for a 100k policy for my husband.

Our health insurance is awesome too, but I'm sticking with Medicaid as long as I can. (Which is Oct)

Working retail for a major company that actually treats their employees decent is gwm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

I get free life insurance for me and pay 3.83/ paycheck for a 100k policy for my husband.

Our health insurance is awesome too, but I'm sticking with Medicaid as long as I can. (Which is Oct)

Working retail for a major company that actually treats their employees decent is gwm

I think you missed what this thread is for

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Senor Dog posted:

I think you missed what this thread is for

She was getting to the part when they decided to invest their bitcoins into a horse daycare centre.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 25, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Friendly reminder :)

pig slut lisa posted:

Things that could get you probated
This list includes actions that could get you probated. I say could because, as always, funny/informative/interesting posts are always welcome in BFC. However, the following types of posts usually don't add enough value relative to the trouble they cause:
  • Talking about yourself
    BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting ;)

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first :twisted:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cousin of mine, 40+ years old, spent 2 years (total) living on her own (about 15 years ago) - the rest with her parents. Former art student, but didn't finish her degree. Actually had an impressive job at one point but was laid off ~10 years ago. Since then it has been down hill, the last three positions being gas station manager, Uber driver, and finally MLM. Sigh.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

theHUNGERian posted:

Since then it has been down hill, the last three positions being gas station manager, Uber driver, and finally MLM. Sigh.

Despite the fact you're getting hosed pretty hard, MLM is not a "position"... just sayin'.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Neither is Uber driver. If you are being paid as a 1099 contractor rather than a W2 employee, you're probably working for free or close to it. There are a few exceptions if you are doing highly skilled labor in a few specific industries, but for the most part individual unskilled contractors are getting scammed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Gas station manager: Getting exploited, but at least you have some semblance of worker protections
Uber driver: Getting exploited even harder for probably less net pay, with no worker protections
MLM merchant: Paying someone else to exploit yourself

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Gas station manager: Getting exploited, but at least you have some semblance of worker protections
Uber driver: Getting exploited even harder for probably less net pay, with no worker protections
MLM merchant: Paying someone else to exploit yourself

Assuming this person stays on the (self)exploitation career-track, what is the next step?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

theHUNGERian posted:

Assuming this person stays on the (self)exploitation career-track, what is the next step?

Only way to be hosed more for less is to be a sex worker.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/6d966c/rnyc_debates_whether_or_not_a_150k_salary_is/

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

cowofwar posted:

Only way to be hosed more for less is to be a sex worker.

incorrect, prostitutes can make quite a lot of money: this one makes 10k/6wks

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoXChromosomes/comments/2vdj3i/im_a_sex_worker_at_one_of_nevadas_legal_brothels/

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

theHUNGERian posted:

A call center.

In a prison.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Are not all call centers prisons?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

therobit posted:

Are not all call centers prisons?

Prisons of your mind, yes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just saw an Uber/Zipcar crossover ad: you can rent a Zipcar to drive for Uber.

I actually wonder how the math works. Zipcar covers insurance, and you don't own the asset so you have none of the depreciation costs. It might actually be GWM.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just saw an Uber/Zipcar crossover ad: you can rent a Zipcar to drive for Uber.

I actually wonder how the math works. Zipcar covers insurance, and you don't own the asset so you have none of the depreciation costs. It might actually be GWM.

Or maybe it will make the sub-minimum wage income glaringly obvious since the costs aren't deferred anymore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For one hour's driving let's figure on what, about 25 VMT, and at least on some stats that I found in my city an Uber driver's hourly takehome at full utilization is about $23/hr.

55 cents a mile vehicle cost leaves the driver with an owned vehicle with about $13.75 pre-tax.
A zipcar at $7/hour leaves the driver at $16/hour pre-tax but does not include fuel, so figure on another $3 for a gallon of gas to drive 25 miles. That would basically make it a push (but significantly reduce the driver's risk, but also lower the driver's utility of owning a vehicle)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For one hour's driving let's figure on what, about 25 VMT, and at least on some stats that I found in my city an Uber driver's hourly takehome at full utilization is about $23/hr.

55 cents a mile vehicle cost leaves the driver with an owned vehicle with about $13.75 pre-tax.
A zipcar at $7/hour leaves the driver at $16/hour pre-tax but does not include fuel, so figure on another $3 for a gallon of gas to drive 25 miles. That would basically make it a push (but significantly reduce the driver's risk, but also lower the driver's utility of owning a vehicle)

Zipcar traditionally covers the cost of gas. They also traditionally have mileage limits per day though, neither of which I'd imagine work with this Uber thing.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You need to calculate the overage rate, there's a per km charge in Canada if you go over 200km. In my experience Zipcar/autoshare/etc are great if you drive minimally and want a car for a few hours at most but once you start to hit their daily maximum and/or their km overage more than a few days per month it's cheaper to rent the traditional way or just own a car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

pr0zac posted:

Zipcar traditionally covers the cost of gas. They also traditionally have mileage limits per day though, neither of which I'd imagine work with this Uber thing.

Yeah, I forgot that, I haven't used it in quite a while.

You couldn't drive all day but you could drive up to your mileage allotment which I think is 140mi/day. That's about five hours or so of Ubering.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, I forgot that, I haven't used it in quite a while.

You couldn't drive all day but you could drive up to your mileage allotment which I think is 140mi/day. That's about five hours or so of Ubering.

Maybe Zipcar has modified mileage limits for Uber drivers. That or they are only focusing on part-time drivers.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
In some cities where rental cars are cheap, it could actually make sense to rent a car and run it as an Uber, especially if you had a few friends so you could run the car for 24 hours a day. Of course, it would probably violate your agreement with the rental car company, as well as violating Uber's policies.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

http://reductress.com/post/how-i-made-life-in-new-york-work-on-a-150000-salary/ (satire)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Ric Flair: The Nature Boy is extremely BWM

To be fair, he also got hosed over supremely bad by a shady-as-gently caress insurance guy:

quote:

The problems began in 1994. At the time, Fliehr had whole life insurance with Guardian, a low-risk policy that accrued value over time. The beneficiaries were Fliehr’s parents and Elizabeth. Scott Chamberlain, a representative of Principal Life, convinced the Fliehrs to switch their coverage to a universal life policy by showing that the premium payments would be less and the death benefit more. What he didn’t explain was that because universal life policies oftentimes fluctuate more wildly with the market, less cash is guaranteed. Also, the new policy essentially meant that the insurance company could charge higher premiums if they determined over time that Fliehr — already an aging professional wrestler who would later admit to using steroids — was increasingly likely to die.

When Fliehr and Elizabeth figured out what happened, Storick entered the equation. Also a Principal Life agent, he “exhibited great concern” about Chamberlain’s mismanagement and guided the Fliehrs into buying a Principal whole life policy. But he left out the fact that Fliehr’s original Guardian policy, with all its accrued value, had yet to expire and could still be used. Instead, he led them through the process of surrendering that policy in favor of the new one. The new annual premium was more than twice the Guardian rate, and Storick benefited from the commissions. (The policy was put in Elizabeth’s name “to prevent Mr. Fliehr from borrowing against the cash value of the policy.”)

Storick became close to the couple as time went on. He was their main financial advisor and became so trusted that “Mrs. Fliehr confided to him the combination of her home safe.”

That’s when the policy churning began. In 1998, he sold Elizabeth a life insurance policy from Guardian, his new company. When he became a Travelers agent in 1999, he convinced Beth to replace both of Fliehr’s Principal policies with Travelers universal policies. In 2000, he had Beth replace her own policy with a Travelers option.

Every time he made a switch, Storick approached Elizabeth as a friend, promising her that he’d found a better deal. Instead, Fliehr and his wife forfeited any accrued money, exposed themselves to greater risk, and lined the pockets of Storick and his successive companies.

In 2002, when Storick went to General American, it happened again. Two new policies for Fliehr.

By the time it was over and the divorce was settled, every active policy was surrendered to Elizabeth, though none of them were worth anything like their purported payout value. Fliehr was left without life insurance (at a time in his life when he was becoming less and less insurable) and with a net cash loss around $270,000.

This whole article is just depressing as poo poo.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Konstantin posted:

In some cities where rental cars are cheap, it could actually make sense to rent a car and run it as an Uber, especially if you had a few friends so you could run the car for 24 hours a day. Of course, it would probably violate your agreement with the rental car company, as well as violating Uber's policies.
Uber Driver | Rental Car Program | Hertz

Both Uber and Lyft have been doing this for the past year and it's extra BWM in an odd way. Even though a branch might be open all week, the program is separate and doesn't operate on weekends. Many people don't read the fine print, drive through Friday night, try to return the car Saturday morning, find out that they can't, and end up having to pay for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Buckle up, this is a doozy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6dj96y/a_friend_put_me_in_over_30k_of_debt/?st=j37nh6y8&sh=ca6f3d7d

quote:

My story begins because I was trying to help a friend out and it turned into me becoming in terrible debt. Before I helped my friend out I had a few thousand saved (about $7k in cash on hand) and always about $1k in my bank, and owed very little on credit cards (a couple hundred at most.) I had around $30k in available credit to my name and a credit score of close to 800.
This is what happened, I have a friend who from around day 4 of knowing each other has been kinda mean to me, always grumpy, negative, talked about how they hate their life and how nothing goes their way, etc.. and since I try to be a nice person I was always there for them to talk to and to help them. It all started when my friend got a new job making some more money doing cell phone sales at a cellphone service carrier, but they needed to get a car to get to this new job. I offered to help them with getting a car, but they would have to pay me back (and they agreed). I gave them around 3k (plus or minus a bit) on credit card, since I never want/wanted to touch my cash on hand. This money was to help with them with a down payment and the DMV fees. Btw, this was for a used car and my name is not on his loan (or at least I think I am not.)
Shortly after getting the car, one thing lead to another from it needing tires, brakes, and his insurance each month was around $400. I gave him the credit card to put a few months of the insurance and other things listed above on it and he would pay it back.. I was just trying to be nice and help out. His bills got to much for him and he was not able to afford them anymore. He started to his my credit card to buy food, toiletries, and other life need items and whatever money that he did have went to his bills. This racked up a my credit card quick! One thing after another the card was maxed and he was on to next card. But stupidly enough I gave it to him, or at least I think I did, as they have been times I give him the card to get me an item or two at the store while he was out and after I would forget he had it and then he would use it over the course or the next couple weeks and months to buy his own things since he had no money. This cycle kept on happening no matter if I took the cards away and anything I paid down on the cards just kept going back up since he was using them. The amount of money this guy has spent on Aunt Annes's Pretzels is sickening. I was his ATM basically. This all has happened in only about 10 months.. We have had countless talks and arguments about this but it never got better. He, himself has only one credit card that is ALWAYS maxed out (his limit is only $400) and recently when he got his tax return he paid off his card fully and said to me "now that my card is paid off I can use that instead of yours when I need things".. Well, that only lasted a month until he maxed it out again because he had no money for his car bill and put the payment on his card. He is currently on gov't assistance for food stamps because if it was not for me he literally could not have eaten. But the fight to get him on those took at least eight months because he is a terrible and lazy person (incase you needed more info on the type of person he is.)
So this is where I am at:
•All of my credit cards are maxed out (around $27k in debt total) with maybe $1 or $2 left on each of them.
•My friend owes me about $20k in credit cards.
•My friend owes me around $4k in cash (stuff I tried my best to keep track of but it is prob. more)
•My friend owes me back the money I was paying off on all of the cards to keep them from going late, so that is prob around $1 or $2k.
•I personally have around $7k or $8k of debt myself on my credit cards I owe.
•There are some bills that I have to pay of his, like his cell phone bill since he is on my plan and I have to pay the whole thing each month.
This is what I have:
•I have about $3k to my name between cash on hand and in the bank.
•I have a 401k with about $5k in it that I thought about taking out and paying off MY debt (not his share) and then just taking money out of my paycheck each month to repay that (since I have to if I take it out in the first place)
•My credit is below 600 because of all these debit. I have NO late payments though. (So once the debt is paid off my credit should be fine)
•I do not want to do those repayment plans with those random companies that try to consolidate your credit cards because they make you not pay your bills and it will hurt the credit bad even after my debt is paid off.
•I have around around $800-$1000 in bills a month (NOT counting what I have to pay for the credit cards he owes each month)
•I bring home around $800 every two weeks (plus or minus a tad) - this is after taxes and insurance, etc.. (I make just under $17/hr)
Please! Someone help me figure out what to do? What can I do to get out of this mess? I am disgusted with myself, this person, and I wish I would not wake up some mornings because this weighs so heavy on me that
my life is just so unhappy.
Thank you in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The solution probably starts with realizing what a "friend" is.