Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

York_M_Chan posted:

Has anyone been to Ghion Cultural Hall for Ethiopian food?

It's my favorite of the Cheshire Bridge Ethiopian restaurants, but I really prefer the cluster up where Clairmont hits Briarcliff (Desta) more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

It's my favorite of the Cheshire Bridge Ethiopian restaurants, but I really prefer the cluster up where Clairmont hits Briarcliff (Desta) more.

If you've been, how do you compare Desta with Bahel?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

venutolo posted:

If you've been, how do you compare Desta with Bahel?

I haven't been to Bahel, sorry.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

ulmont posted:

I ended up being slightly disappointed with Ghion. The people were super nice but I found the food a little lacking. I think I will try your recommendation next time.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Talat Market at Gato on Saturday. Food was very good. I really enjoyed the curry in the red curry pork belly and the chili garlic sauce in the fried trout dish.

I did feel the prices were a bit steep. The dishes are very small and were described as tapas-like. I got both of the non-meat/fish dishes and they were $8 and $9. The trout and pork belly dishes were $13 and $15. That plus rice and a coconut drink brought my total to $52, which seemed a whole lot for the amount of food I got. Maybe their food costs are high, but regardless it felt like a lot.

Their seating system is baffling to me. I got there before they open at 6pm. There were two groups of three each ahead of me. At about 6:04 they seated the first party of three. A few minutes later they seated the next party of three. Then I was seated at around 6:15, fifteen minutes after opening. During my meal and when the restaurant had at least one table and almost the entire bar open, a party of two walks in. They are told to put their name on the list and they'll be called. I'm pretty sure that party left after a few minutes of waiting for a seat at a half-empty restaurant. Why the hell can't you seat a party of two right away in a half-empty place?

Food was really good, but I hope they iron out some issues.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

venutolo posted:

I'll have to check out MJ's next week. I go to Thank U Chicken fairly often and have noticed MJ's but not stopped in.

Korean:
* Thank U Chicken
* Harue
* 9292 (BBQ)
* Breakers (BBQ)
* Bonjuk
* Jang Dok Dae (Not much English. Maybe none. I don't recall. Went with a Korean friend who ordered for us.)
* Boxete
* Jang Su Jang

Japanese:
* Haru Ichiban
* Blue Fin Sushi

Taiwanese:
* TJ House

Vietnamese:
* Banh Mi Cafe

Pizza:
* O4W Pizza

Cajun/Seafood:
* Fat Crab

gently caress. Yes. You the man, man.

Now that my nightmare drive from Mableton to Duluth is back to just 'murderously bad' instead of 'loving kill me now' I'll get started on this list!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Moving out of ATL in early July, will hit many of these up!
Speaking of which. Any other must-try ATL things before bouncing?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

Moving out of ATL in early July, will hit many of these up!
Speaking of which. Any other must-try ATL things before bouncing?

Staplehouse?

Where you you moving? What happened to Superchomp?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:I

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

venutolo posted:

Staplehouse?
Roger!

venutolo posted:

Where you you moving?
Chicago.

venutolo posted:

What happened to Superchomp?
Superchomp led to a promotion wherein I started shooting many complex food videos for Publix, Baskin Robbins, Dunkin, etc. but also sucked away all my own free time. Luckily it's coming back in 360 with Corn Paradise because I love corn like an idiot.

e: vvv Still six weeks out, but near Logan Square.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 16, 2017

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Welcome to Chicago! What neighborhood?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

Superchomp led to a promotion wherein I started shooting many complex food videos for Publix, Baskin Robbins, Dunkin, etc. but also sucked away all my own free time. Luckily it's coming back in 360 with Corn Paradise because I love corn like an idiot.

I'm glad to hear it lead to something. I thought those were fun, well made videos.

Good luck in Chicago!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

What are some great joints near 85 exit 104? I haven't tried Thank U Chicken or the moved O4W pizza, what else am I missing over there? I don't drive but if it's worth a trek up I'll scramble a group together.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

What are some great joints near 85 exit 104? I haven't tried Thank U Chicken or the moved O4W pizza, what else am I missing over there? I don't drive but if it's worth a trek up I'll scramble a group together.

9292 Korean BBQ. Those would be my top three.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Man, what do you guys see in O4W pizza? I've been twice, and each time you gotta order what they have already made, and it just seems cold and old? I don't get there till 1 or 2 pm, though? Mebbe thats it?

Possible that i'm a habitual 'orders the wrong goddamn thing' kinda guy, too

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

godzirraRAWR posted:

Man, what do you guys see in O4W pizza? I've been twice, and each time you gotta order what they have already made, and it just seems cold and old? I don't get there till 1 or 2 pm, though? Mebbe thats it?

I have had that same experience where you show up and there are only a few slices of whatever remains, and it is disappointing. I do love their Grandma's pie, and there's some of that left.

That being said, I usually get there for lunch somewhere in the 11:30 to noon window and so there's typically more (but not always) and fresher options. Their specialty pies offer more options, so you can just order a pie ahead of time and have a bunch of leftovers.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

godzirraRAWR posted:

I don't see anything in it.

I had the exact same experience. I showed up at 1pm one time when they were at irwin, they were out of the grandma slice, so I ordered some stuff expecting it to be pretty much fresh or whatever, they just shoved a stale slice in an oven for a minute and brought it out. which is fine, I understand that's generally how by the slice works, but I also had to wait about 20 minutes for the "bringing it out" process, I guess to add the topping I wanted and meander around to getting it in the oven and to the table. But there was only one other customer there, and it cost me like $12 after tax and tip for a slice and a coke. Also the owner was there and a bit condescending about the fact that they didn't take amex (am I a little bitch for letting that annoy me at restaurants? I'm a business owner too, I get not wanting to shell out the extra $.23 cents or a dollar or whatever in fees, but it's loving 3.25% vs 2.4% on the transaction maybe, if you're going to accept credit cards just do them all and raise your prices by $.25 cents across the board to cover. I "lose" maybe close to a couple hundred dollars a month on this poo poo myself, but it's a cost of business ffs)

anyways, I went back, they did have the grandma slice, I got it, it was mediocre, I left, I didn't ever end up making my way back again.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 25, 2017

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't think much of O4W Pizza at first, but it really grew on me. I love the tomato sauce on and texture of the Grandma's pie. And I just love the Detroit pizza.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm guessing that my love for O4W comes from never buying by the slice and only ordering whole pies which have always been fresh, made to order, and delicious.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Hot take: Jack's Pizza and Wings has good pizza. Chili cheese dog pizza is better than it should be.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Jack's has, or at least used to have as it has been awhile, a pretty great calzone/generous well seasoned marinara dipping bowl to boot. So many places skimp on the latter especially even if they get the former right, but drat if it doesn't make a difference.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Checked out the Royal Myanmar Cuisine in Clarkston recently, and really liked what I had. I got the fermented tea leaf salad. It is fermented green tea leaves, peanuts, fried garlic, dried shrimp, sesame seeds, yellow dal, cabbage, fried chickpeas, and tomatoes. It was really good, but I was not expecting that much fish sauce mixed in. So I guess Mindphlux will be all over it. Also had a noodle dish that was good, but not really what I was looking for at the time. It was served room temperature and I was expecting it to be warm. It was chicken with noodles in a spicy sauce that I think was thickened with chickpea flour.

The place is in a run down strip mall on Brockett rd, but it is in a free standing building in the parking lot. I will probably head back there this weekend since it is a short hop up 78 to Brockett from my apartment.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Jack's entire menu is solid – the wings are tasty and big, too.

I do miss the 40s, though.

Pen Express
Sep 23, 2009
So I'm going to be in Atlanta for a day with my girlfriend, the 3rd of next month to be specific, and neither of us really know the area. I like everything, probably something really savory and rich would suit me, but she's a bit pickier and doesn't necessarily need proteins for a good meal. Since we'll only be there for a night we want to make it count. Any recommendations?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Pen Express posted:

So I'm going to be in Atlanta for a day with my girlfriend, the 3rd of next month to be specific, and neither of us really know the area. I like everything, probably something really savory and rich would suit me, but she's a bit pickier and doesn't necessarily need proteins for a good meal. Since we'll only be there for a night we want to make it count. Any recommendations?

Where are you staying? What's your transportation situation? How much you looking to spend?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
finally did bon ton for lunch yesterday. it was pretty solid. I'll give dinner a go before I voice any strong opinions, but curious if y'all are liking it...

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The Canteen opened today in midtown. Had lunch plans already but looking forward to going tomorrow for a Fred's cheesesteak. It's like a block from my office, gonna get so fat(ter)

mindphlux posted:

finally did bon ton for lunch yesterday. it was pretty solid. I'll give dinner a go before I voice any strong opinions, but curious if y'all are liking it...

I went for lunch a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Just had a poboy and papaya salad but everything was fresh and tasty and the seafood was cooked perfectly. Their XO boil sauce was outrageously good, I would put that on all sorts of food. I thought the prices were reasonable for the stuff that I got BUT some of the bigger dinner entree things seemed quite pricy --maybe it's a shitload of food though? I've definitely been planning to get back over there.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Lawen posted:

... The Canteen ...

I went to the The Canteen's "friends and family" thing on Saturday and ate way too much. The new pastrami hoagie is pretty drat good.

One of my very good friends, Derrick, is one of the people running it, so I expect to be there a lot, including tomorrow for lunch. I'm thinking that on Fridays I may just bring my laptop at lunch and finish my day from there.

If you, or anyone, sees a guy at The Canteen with a blond beard and probably a baseball cap, and he appears to be someone in charge (and probably working mostly around Fred's), that is my buddy, Derrick. Say hello and tell him you are an acquaintance of Rick.

Lawen posted:

... Bon Ton ...

I've been to Bon Ton twice for lunch, including last Friday and have enjoyed my food. I got the XO rice, which probably needs more XO sauce because there just wasn't enough of it. Bon Ton is a place I can see sliding in my regular rotation.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Anybody have a recommendation for lunch in Downtown Decatur? I've lived around Avondale for a little while now and I haven't checked out much. RIP Mobeta Wings. :smith:

Oh, and has anyone been to the S.O.S. tiki bar? It looks neat.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Low Desert Punk posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for lunch in Downtown Decatur? I've lived around Avondale for a little while now and I haven't checked out much. RIP Mobeta Wings. :smith:

Chai Pani, Farm Burger, Grindhouse, Las Brasas, Doggy Dogg, Victory, Cakes & Ale. There's lot of options.

Low Desert Punk posted:

Oh, and has anyone been to the S.O.S. tiki bar? It looks neat.

My buddy Jarrett serves dinner there Wednesday through Saturday and "brunch" on Sundays from noon to six. I think his stuff is great.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The porchetta sandwich at The Canteen is fantastic. Unfortunately it is not selling well, so it will likely be dropped soon. Go eat it while you can.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 14, 2017

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Had lunch at the Canteen today and got the Burger Stack from Fred's and loved it. Since my office is literally across the street, it's gonna be hard for me not to go there every day.

Also, I ate at the bar since I was alone, and the pretty girl there convinced me to get a smoothie.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I also hit Canteen for lunch. 2nd day open and slammed and was still fuckin' awesome. Tried the pastrami hoagie and it was the tits but also traded half for half of coworker's shroom shire cheesesteak and I regret nothing; they were both on point.

I'm not a Revelator fan and am kinda pissed they bought out Octane so I'm hoping the LaMarzocco machine in the TGM section is being competently worked. I'll find out tomorrow...

Will deffo try the porchetta; almost got it today.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Taiyo Ramen in decatur is worth at least mentioning. I'm not sure I'd recommend it per se - their prices are a little bit on tilt, and they aren't very accommodating on the service end. their ramen is really good half the time, and kinda bleh the other half - have had stuff that has been next level, and also stuff that is completely bland and shameworthy. but, it's an interesting option.

arepa mia I'm similarly infuriated by. half the time I have some astounding food and it's good as poo poo, and sometimes I go there and wonder why I'm willfully giving them my business. also expensive for lunch, but when it's good, it's good. anything there cachapa wise with guayanes cheese on it though, you can't go wrong.

looking forward to going by canteen, been a minute since I've had any porchetta

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also, I don't know why I'm so hung up on atlanta restaurant pricing. I should maybe see someone about that. :o:

Pen Express
Sep 23, 2009
I'm going to be in Atlanta from the 3rd - the 5th by myself. Does anyone wanna get a burger at Fred's or something?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I've got the third off work and stay up the street, I could be into that!

Pen Express
Sep 23, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

I've got the third off work and stay up the street, I could be into that!

PM me fam.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I was interviewed for a Atlanta Magazine blog post and dropped a reference to SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Hah, that's awesome