Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Not to excuse anyone but I wonder how much of this stuff is just lying and showmanship or legit expressions of emotion, but they're absolutely terrified of being primaried if they vote against it or seek to soften policy?

Not much difference in the end though. It doesn't matter if the guy who shot you only pulled the trigger reluctantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dmitri-9 posted:

By what metric? Dems always get a larger percentage in MT than AL in presidential elections. Obama almost won the state in 2008 which is notable considering the racial makeup of the states we're talking about. MT has s democratic Governor and Senator which AL does not.

Perhaps MT is more of a Mauve Mist while Alabama is Candy Apple Red.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dmitri-9 posted:

By what metric? Dems always get a larger percentage in MT than AL in presidential elections. Obama almost won the state in 2008 which is notable considering the racial makeup of the states we're talking about. MT has s democratic Governor and Senator which AL does not.

Hell, Sweitzer was on the short list for VP.

whatever happened to him? You'd think a funny purple state democratic governor that literally spoke arabic (or was it farsi?) would have a political future.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No surprise that Gianforte won, the heartland is a culturally bankrupt wasteland of brutish moral degenerates. As a Chicagoan living in Denver, you can take my word for it.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

gohmak posted:

Good. gently caress that guy. First non embarrassing thing he's done on this trip.

I really think that he may be cognitively impaired. There was an article on CNBC.com comparing his speech patterns and vocabulary from interviews in the 1980's and 90's to his current speech patterns. The contrast was remarkable.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Not to excuse anyone but I wonder how much of this stuff is just lying and showmanship or legit expressions of emotion, but they're absolutely terrified of being primaried if they vote against it or seek to soften policy?

Not much difference in the end though. It doesn't matter if the guy who shot you only pulled the trigger reluctantly.

Oh meadows is a total piece of poo poo. He doesn't give a drat. He didn't get to the head of the Freedom Caucus because of his personal empathy.

Again, I'm in his district. It is composed of two parts.

A. Asheville - he would be murdered and chopped up in the streets if the hippies could figure out how best to distribute his pieces to coop compost heaps in a way that would do the least amount of damage to indigenous ant population

B. Surrounding regions - NOTHING but opiate addiction, medicare, and preexisting conditions. Just to give you an idea of how bad the opiate and meth problem is here; the LAPD sends their SWAT team to train with the guys in Heywood county.

He's doing this so he can say, if it passes, that he had no idea how hard it was going to literally murder the people that voted for him.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

BootStrap posted:

I really think that he may be cognitively impaired. There was an article on CNBC.com comparing his speech patterns and vocabulary from interviews in the 1980's and 90's to his current speech patterns. The contrast was remarkable.

Everyone knows it, gently caress, the guy is a barely functional old man. The GOP is just a bunch of craven bootlickers that care more about their stupid loving brand or else they'd do something about it.

How anyone reconciles donny now and donny in the 80s or even early 90s is beyond me. Seems like clear cut evidence of a man with a debilitating mental disease beyond just affluenza

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

This thread needs to chill the gently caress out. The district itself even if it is the whole of Montana, is red as gently caress.

look at the last several elections:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana%27s_at-large_congressional_district

NOW, check out this graph I shamelessly stole from the GIP thread:

The fact the Russians Republicans had to spend that much money to keep this District from falling to a hippie is a good thing. Instead of going sour on ourselves, Liberals and Democrats need to keep the pressure up. After all, didn't Democrats just win state legislator elections in NH and NY that they almost never win? That is how change will start, from the bottom up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dmitri-9 posted:

It's a pretty big problem when the republican opponent is an unpopular carpetbagger, with lots of oligarchical comments and positions, and has no gun control wedge issue to help him. That means that the election was lost on messaging, real ideological differences, and/or tribalism. If the dems can't change enough hearts and minds in a purple state with a populist message like Quist then they are just a rump party. The close race narrative works in Kansas but Montana is more of a swing state.

I think you might be beyond anything other than clinical deprogramming.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
So if gianforte get jailed in the most unlikely circumstances, would Montana get another special election?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

BootStrap posted:

I remember second term Reagan. None of that poo poo stops them from getting deplorable poo poo accomplished.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Nyaa posted:

So if gianforte get jailed in the most unlikely circumstances, would Montana get another special election?

Only if the House of Representatives votes to expel him. They won't

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Nyaa posted:

You can be a congressman from prison.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nyaa posted:

He can only be removed from office by a vote of the House.

Lol if you think that's going to happen.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

gohmak posted:

I remember second term Reagan. None of that poo poo stops them from getting deplorable poo poo accomplished.

Reagan had some pretty intelligent, if odious, people around him. This group is acting like the Keystone Cops.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Nyaa posted:

Trump would pardon him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

D-Pad posted:

You know if you watch this clip and then the shoving one it starts to look like they may be the same symptom. I think maybe Trump forgot where he was for a moment or who he was with and shoved to the front of the crowd. He saw the reporters and instinctively tried to look serious.

He did the same thing here, wandering off aimlessly. He is at the end of a long and demanding foreign trip, if he is just starting down this road then the trip could have made his symptoms worse.

Good. One of the best possible outcomes on our current timeline is a 25th amendment removal after Trump just starts disrobing in public.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Majumbo posted:

Only if the House of Representatives votes to expel him. They won't

To be fair this is almost never done and a fair number of congressfolk from both sides of the aisle have served in Congress while under pending charges.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Mniot posted:

You can be a congressman from prison.
That sure is some Lex Luthor poo poo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Good. One of the best possible outcomes on our current timeline is a 25th amendment removal after Trump just starts disrobing in public.

He's a long way from end stage dementia.

Like where he is now, with the constant verbal ticks and over aggressive behavior, his next step will be getting lost in the grocery store.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

FizFashizzle posted:

He's a long way from end stage dementia.

Like where he is now, with the constant verbal ticks and over aggressive behavior, his next step will be getting lost in the grocery store.

Yeah, that's actually something I've been wondering -- exactly how long do we / does he have before the disease can no longer be hidden? I don't know the details of how the disease progresses but it should be possible to game out a timeline.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

How soon until we're getting dragged out of our houses and shot for being on Democratic donator lists or something

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trump right on schedule to steal 40 cakes.

The funny thing is that before he became dc comics president, Lex Luthor divested from his business interests.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lightning Lord posted:

How soon until we're getting dragged out of our houses and shot for being on Democratic donator lists or something

Oh we have plenty of ti

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, that's actually something I've been wondering -- exactly how long do we / does he have before the disease can no longer be hidden? I don't know the details of how the disease progresses but it should be possible to game out a timeline.

It's actually highly variable. Some people can hide it a long time. They usually have healthy bodies, though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

business hammocks posted:

Trump right on schedule to steal 40 cakes.

The funny thing is that before he became dc comics president, Lex Luthor divested from his business interests.

There's a lot of comic book villains that have shown more ethics and principles than Donny

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

It's one of those ESID diseases. Depends on the type (Alzheimers, vascular dementia, etc) and the patient.

e:f,b

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

iirc, in Red Son he was basically the best president ever and made tons of scientific and social advances.

Red Son Luthor 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dmitri-9 posted:

By what metric? Dems always get a larger percentage in MT than AL in presidential elections. Obama almost won the state in 2008 which is notable considering the racial makeup of the states we're talking about. MT has a democratic Governor and Senator which AL does not.

AL has Democratic senator Richard Shelby!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Charliegrs posted:

Lol wtf. You would think with turn towards fascism the US has taken that Dems would see the wisdom of the second amendment. Why do you think it was put in the Constitution to begin with?

that isn't why it's there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

If we get an Emperors new clothes situation out of this, it would make up for some of the terrible poo poo that has happened so far.

morcant posted:

iirc, in Red Son he was basically the best president ever and made tons of scientific and social advances.

Red Son Luthor 2020

Also in that story Superman was actually Lex's descendent sent back in time

Zil fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 26, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It's actually highly variable. Some people can hide it a long time. They usually have healthy bodies, though.

Hiding it with the amount of publicity the President gets, at his age, and with him already aware of just how much he's in over his head will be a challenge at best. We've got a few more years at the very least. It'll be interesting to see just how much Trump family/Pence/Cabinet/GOP try to shield him from the spotlight if he declines, vs. just throwing him under the bus.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Hiding it with the amount of publicity the President gets, at his age, and with him already aware of just how much he's in over his head will be a challenge at best. We've got a few more years at the very least. It'll be interesting to see just how much Trump family/Pence/Cabinet/GOP try to shield him from the spotlight if he declines, vs. just throwing him under the bus.

When POTUS traditional diplomatic responsibilities get shifted to someone else is when it starts, because the can always say he's staying in the US for MAGA.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shooting Blanks posted:

If I were writing this out on a storyboard, the most "likely" scenario would seem to be the pressure of the investigation building and the dementia getting officially revealed as a defense -- "he didn't know how corrupt everything was, his brain has been shot for years."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

We have already had a president who had these sorts of accusations leveled against him, Reagan. Its not 1:1 comparable, but examine his presidency.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

poo poo is all hosed and getting worse, blah blah blah. I'll take a single digit loss here, I'll also take Ossoff losing if it's close. If that shift can be held through 2018 it will be fine, and those margins are going to scare some Rs. Things will be OK. And if they aren't, I can leave.

In brighter news

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/868093029550354432

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why, are those famous gay dudes? Is it the anniversary of legalization?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If I were writing this out on a storyboard, the most "likely" scenario would seem to be the pressure of the investigation building and the dementia getting officially revealed as a defense -- "he didn't know how corrupt everything was, his brain has been shot for years."

Didn't that basically happen with Reagan and Iran Contra?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why, are those famous gay dudes? Is it the anniversary of legalization?

I think they're just two attractive-looking heads of state in the same place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh meadows is a total piece of poo poo. He doesn't give a drat. He didn't get to the head of the Freedom Caucus because of his personal empathy.

Again, I'm in his district. It is composed of two parts.

A. Asheville - he would be murdered and chopped up in the streets if the hippies could figure out how best to distribute his pieces to coop compost heaps in a way that would do the least amount of damage to indigenous ant population

B. Surrounding regions - NOTHING but opiate addiction, medicare, and preexisting conditions. Just to give you an idea of how bad the opiate and meth problem is here; the LAPD sends their SWAT team to train with the guys in Heywood county.

He's doing this so he can say, if it passes, that he had no idea how hard it was going to literally murder the people that voted for him.

His district now carves out Asheville proper and only takes the suburbs. And the suburbs around Asheville are stuffed full of people that completely define themselves around "fuk those goddamn Asheville hippy liberals". If you told them that cutting of one of their legs would cause a liberal to lose both of theirs they would ask if they cutting off both would make two liberals legless.

• Locked thread