Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

It's not too much to ask for politicians on the left to learn how to clean and shoot a rifle.
This would not help Democrats. Guns are a losing issue for them, because it is a single-issue voting item for only one side, and that side votes for Republicans.

It's painful to have to live with it, but our electorate and electoral system have valued access to guns higher than preventing the deaths of children and other random innocent people. The best thing a Democrat can do is admit defeat on guns and avoid the issue as much as possible, which means not having photo ops rifle shooting or whatever, even if they're an expert on guns.

The Democrats should actually put it in their platform that they will not even put forth a bill that has to do with guns unless it's been introduced by a Republican and has support from a majority of Republicans in Congress. We need to take this issue off the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Furnaceface posted:

This seems like such a very very bad idea. Do you guys have to gently caress with your constitution to remedy this or has it just been tradition for so long that no one has bothered to try and change it?

What would you recommend changing to improve their performance though? And no, it's not a Constitutional issue.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

This seems like such a very very bad idea. Do you guys have to gently caress with your constitution to remedy this or has it just been tradition for so long that no one has bothered to try and change it?

Judges too.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Furnaceface posted:

Sheriff is a local position and thus the mechanisms for appointing or electing them are enshrined in state constitutions, not the federal one. But yes, it comes down to tradition mostly.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Furnaceface posted:

I had a chat with some pro police numb nuts back when there was a police thread.

It always came back to state rights, mah guns, thin blue line, police are legally not obligated to help(Yes, this is real), playing soldiers because they can't hack real combat, intentional hiring unsuitable candidates to handle the responsibility, police worship, over the top police brutality and killings that go unpunished, lack of standards or training, a war mentality which means everyone is a threat especially the blacks because they can "Hulk out", lack of scientific rigour, victim blaming, self inflected stress. The list goes on.

US Cops are really, really bad at what they do compared to any western country. It would require a complete abolishment and reconstruction on every level just to catch up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Charliegrs posted:

I wonder how Trump will react to the next school shooting?

Deep state false flag

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

oohhboy posted:

It would require a complete abolishment and reconstruction on every level just to catch up.

America.txt

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

butros posted:

America.txt

"I bet this was a conspiracy by the President to take away our rights!...Oh, wait."

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Gianforte wins by 5 to 10 points. An outcome in this range would likely trigger a lot of debate among pundits. A few weeks ago, it would probably have been regarded as a good result [for] Democrats. But to the extent that expectations matter, Republicans had done a better job of managing them even before the body-slam incident. So this might be interpreted as a fairly poor result for Democrats, even though it could be a pretty good one by the numbers.

this_thread.txt

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/05/montana-nbc-affiliate-refused-to-cover-gianforte-body-slam.html

Hey, does anyone wonder if Sinclair is going to ruin democracy? Not much effect in just Montana, but when they run 70% of local news programs and decide that Donald Trump murdering a black baby on live TV isn't newsworthy, guess what

This is why we're really hosed. In a few years the "truth" will be even more detached from reality for even more people. I don't know how you fight against that when everything the Republicans do is immediately smoothed over or hidden from the public by large swathes of the media and straight up lies about the Democrats are widely circulated.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Basically this entire thread desperately needs to :therapy: because our expectation management is absolute poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No one watches local news anymore. If Sinclair wants to buy a lot of local station and lose a poo poo ton of money more power to them. The reason it's easy for then to buy these stations is theyre all failing, because weather.com exists now.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

axeil posted:

Basically this entire thread desperately needs to :therapy: because our expectation management is absolute poo poo.

Are you saying that we're bipolar or something

Or that the people in here who think there might be a chance of the GOP not killing us all in a couple years are deluded?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No one watches local news anymore. If Sinclair wants to buy a lot of local station and lose a poo poo ton of money more power to them. The reason it's easy for then to buy these stations is theyre all failing, because weather.com exists now.

I hope this is correct. Quist losing is sad but expected since Republicans are garbage; I'm just a lot more worried about the successor to Fox News but without the stigma of being obviously biases starting up a disinformation network.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

butros posted:

America.txt

It's not completely hopeless. Two things that can be done would fix a lot of the problems.

1. Police training and screening on the national level. You want to be a sheriff? You go to police college.

2. Prosecuting and convicting police for breaking the law. ie, the rule of law. Police exist in a bubble where they are under rule by law where they selectively apply laws to others and themselves.

Hell, just number 2 would go a long, long, long, long way.

Radish posted:

I hope this is correct. Quist losing is sad but expected since Republicans are garbage; I'm just a lot more worried about the successor to Fox News but without the stigma of being obviously biases starting up a disinformation network.

It's not all bad news. You can't win all of them and the result is a show of massive progress and one hell of a learning experience to take to the next fight. A hippie made massive in roads.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Are you saying that we're bipolar or something

Or that the people in here who think there might be a chance of the GOP not killing us all in a couple years are deluded?

The people gnashing their teeth and screaming THIS IS HOW DEMOCRACY DIES when the Dems lose a race in an R+20 district by 6 points instead of 20, when there are 120 seats less Republican than that one and confirms a nation-wide shift of about 15 points towards the Dems need to pull themselves together and get some perspective.

They're like Clevleand Browns fans who are FURIOUS they failed to win the Super Bowl last year despite never really having a shot from the start.

More people should become football/sports fans, it's a great way to learn expectation management.

And I say that as someone who famously melts down after every Eagles loss.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I think one of the failures of the Democratic party over the last 10 years is writing off areas that they think aren't statistically winnable meaning that they will NEVER win those areas ever again because you don't try and eventually you are just left with super safe districts and no majority. You saw this in Virginia where they just let local seats run uncontested because I'm sure some algorithm told them it was a waste of money and then Republicans coasted into districts where Hillary Clinton won. They have to start somewhere and this is good but still sad.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If this is like a sporting event for you, you clearly do not have as much skin in the game as other people in this thread

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

rscott posted:

If this is like a sporting event for you, you clearly do not have as much skin in the game as other people in this thread

Sometimes people use things called analogies to better describe their position. You make a comparison to another situation which while not the same, is a simpler form of what you're talking about. In this case I was comparing people's emotional over-reaction to an expected loss to a sporting event, as the typical American is very familiar with it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Furnaceface posted:

Can someone please explain to me how every single US sheriff is some right wing nutjob. Do you guys vote for sheriffs the same way you vote for basically every other government position?

acab

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Got some AP alerts last night that really set the mood.

I bet you loving did you piece of poo poo. I bet you loving did.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I hope Ben's response to the apology was to tell him to choke on a chode and that he'd see his rear end in court.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

axeil posted:

The people gnashing their teeth and screaming THIS IS HOW DEMOCRACY DIES when the Dems lose a race in an R+20 district by 6 points instead of 20, when there are 120 seats less Republican than that one and confirms a nation-wide shift of about 15 points towards the Dems need to pull themselves together and get some perspective.

They're like Clevleand Browns fans who are FURIOUS they failed to win the Super Bowl last year despite never really having a shot from the start.

More people should become football/sports fans, it's a great way to learn expectation management.

Yeah for real; losing sucks, but the margin was way closer than it should have been, especially with how many R+3-7 districts there are. I'm not terribly affected by the loss there, since it bodes well nationwide that a deep red seat was that much closer

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Can't help thinking the fact that America has fifteen to twenty thousand different police forces is something of a problem in itself. (The UK has 43. Not 43000. 43.)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

http://theweek.com/speedreads/70135...ting-conditions

Nice meltdown, idiot. Who could have seen this coming!!!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

Is he just that stupid or is this part of the con?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Radish posted:

It is, but the decline brings other problems with it, including the polarization that everyone has been bitching about for years.

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/study-decline-traditional-media-feeds-polarization
https://paw.princeton.edu/article/polarization-and-media
http://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1016&context=comm_fac

There's another article I was trying to find, but the short version is that between the increased concentration of journalism in major metroplexes and the decline of local news, people are losing out on more nuanced views as CNN/Fox/etc. all provide their own editorial slant. The vast majority of people consume 1, maybe 2 news sources on a regular basis and will thus only be subjected to those viewpoints. More to the point, they're also losing out on reporting and editorials that focus on the impact in their geographic area - sure, someone in NYC or LA is going to get in depth coverage about any given policy and how it affects them, but Muskogee, OK for example will have far more limited coverage, and thus decreased civic engagement. It also opens the door to more political corruption and fake news reported as fact (or actual news being reported incorrectly), as there are simply fewer people to report on notable stories, or fact check when something questionable is reported.

The decline of independently, locally owned news publications (and TV/radio stations) is a demonstrably bad thing. Sinclair buying them up is worse, yes, but wishing for the decline/demise of local news is the wrong way to go.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Unkempt posted:

Can't help thinking the fact that America has fifteen to twenty thousand different police forces is something of a problem in itself. (The UK has 43. Not 43000. 43.)

Have you taken into account the larger population, greater distances, rural and wilderness areas that USA has?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Doctor Butts posted:

Have you taken into account the larger population, greater distances, rural and wilderness areas that USA has?
To be exact, 93628 mi2 versus 3.979 million mi2. :eng101:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tatsuta Age posted:

He probably didn't read the drat report until then.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

He probably didn't read the drat report until then.

If the dude is in the Freedom Caucus how does he not know the plan is to murder all the poors?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

axeil posted:

It's a pretty big problem when the republican opponent is an unpopular carpetbagger, with lots of oligarchical comments and positions, and has no gun control wedge issue to help him. That means that the election was lost on messaging, real ideological differences, and/or tribalism. If the dems can't change enough hearts and minds in a purple state with a populist message like Quist then they are just a rump party. The close race narrative works in Kansas but Montana is more of a swing state.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Doctor Butts posted:

The poulation of the UK is about 1/6 that of the US. 43*6 is 258, not fifteen loving thousand. I live in a small town in Vermont. There's the town police, the county sheriff's department, the State police and the FBI if you want to count them. There are towns of a couple of hundred people that have their own police department. It's insane.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

It's a pretty big problem when the republican opponent is an unpopular carpetbagger, with lots of oligarchical comments and positions, and has no gun control wedge issue to help him. That means that the election was lost on messaging, real ideological differences, and/or tribalism. If the dems can't change enough hearts and minds in a purple state with a populist message like Quist then they are just a rump party. The close race narrative works in Kansas but Montana is more of a swing state.

The last Democrat to win a Montana Presidential Election was Bill Clinton.

If Montana is a purple state then Mississippi and Alabama are blue.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

quote:

Meadows, who played a central role in pushing for the state waiver options, initially reacted to the CBO's report by calling it "good news," a sentiment echoed by House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.),

Good job killing off half your district you moron.

Today at work I will see no less than oh I don't know 10 people in his district that will die if this becomes law.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

Meadows then got choked up: "Listen, I lost my sister to breast cancer," he said. "I lost my dad to lung cancer. If anybody is sensitive to pre-existing conditions, it's me. I'm not going to make a political decision today that affects somebody's sister or father because I wouldn't do it to myself."

I can't find the link but there was an article posted here about a motherfucker whose own son died from, I think, cancer who was talking to a reporter who also had someone die from a terminal illness. The congressman cried and said he wouldn't do anything that would take healthcare away from people blah blah fuckin blah and then voted for the bill (I believe it was even the first one, the one that failed).
So don't get misty-eyed about these pricks.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah it's all an act. He's the chairman of the FC he knows exactly what their bill would do which makes his shield using his father and sister even grosser

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Good. gently caress that guy. First non embarrassing thing he's done on this trip.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Good job killing off half your district you moron.

Today at work I will see no less than oh I don't know 10 people in his district that will die if this becomes law.
It sounds like he's drinking the Koop aide hardcore. "Paul said it would increase coverage and lower premiums!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

axeil posted:

The last Democrat to win a Montana Presidential Election was Bill Clinton.

If Montana is a purple state then Mississippi and Alabama are blue.

By what metric? Dems always get a larger percentage in MT than AL in presidential elections. Obama almost won the state in 2008 which is notable considering the racial makeup of the states we're talking about. MT has a democratic Governor and Senator which AL does not.

• Locked thread