Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

spudsbuckley posted:

Having just googled it it appears to be either an actual OG XBOX version of MGS 2 with Snake as the main character for all of it that never got finished or an April fools joke about that same game being in development that got out of hand.

An OG Xbox version of MGS2 did actually get released. It was identical to the PS2 version though, no Snake makeover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

My Switch should be arriving today so hopefully I'll be playing Blaster Master Zero and PPT this weekend. I'll probably try the ARMS test fire too though I'm not sold on the idea yet.

Also the Everybody's Golf beta starts today so I'll hopefully play that too.

And I'm off work for two weeks after tomorrow :woop:

PPT is awesome

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just had record a bunch of out of office messages for the holiday on Monday and no matter how much you try, it's impossible not to sound like a horrible nag when you say things like "If this is an international emergency, please hang up and dial..."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yILUPb7gVlg

An interview with Frank Cifaldi where at one point he contextualizes Earthbound's failure in the market succinctly as people being too jazzed about upcoming 3D games and thinking Earthbound had poo poo graphics instead of an art style.

Unrelated to that, there's also play magazine's infamous near-perfect score given to Sonic '06, which they knocked down a measly point after finding out the load times weren't getting fixed in the retail version.

chumbler posted:

Dead Cells looks kinda cool, and gives me some Mega Man X or Castlevania vibes, but early access. Any opinions on it?

I've been playing it off and on since last week and it's pretty fun. I wouldn't say it has anything to do with MMX, though. But I agree with a lot of people who say this is the premise that Rogue Legacy was selling, but much better and snappier to play.

Sakurazuka posted:

Not really no, it was made by Artoon, most famous for managing to make bad Yoshi's Island games on 3/DS

Still wondering if the reason they changed their name to Arzest was just to get away from their lovely reputation.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Monster Hunter would probably be fun if it weren't a handheld only game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

suuma posted:

Monster Hunter would probably be fun if it weren't a handheld only game.

Good news, It's coming out on the switch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Andrast posted:

Good news, It's coming out on the switch

Monster Hunter would probably be fun it weren't on a gimmick console.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Goons not liking monster hunter is a mystery to me

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In only 5 short years when it comes to America I guess I'll have to buy a refurb switch for like $50

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Gimmicks are cool.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm more mystified when goons will champion a game that's utterly loving terrible

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

Well they're some of the grindiest games in existence and still look and control like PS2-era titles.

So yeah, it really is surprising.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to get Toukiden 2 on PS4, but i've read a lot of negative things about the gameworld being confusing and boring.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Gimmicks are cool.

They should put a new Gimmick on Switch

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

that's MISTER Gimmick to you, pal

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm I guess I have... two months to find a Switch before Splatoon 2 launches here. Still seems kinda tough

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I said come in! posted:

You suck so bad.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Training posted:

Is there already a racing game that lets you use the 2 detachable gamepads as pedals and the tablet as a steering wheel?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

The controls are absolutely awful. Hopefully it being on a console fixes this outright.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I said come in! posted:

Ah yes, the obtrusive Switch gimmick of "you can play it"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

It's grindy and repetitive. Kill Rathalos 20x

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CJacobs posted:

The controls are absolutely awful. Hopefully it being on a console fixes this outright.

Monster Hunter started on PlayStation 2.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The grind I'm okay with but the controls are like whoa

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I really want to like Monster Hunter but the controls are just so goddamn hard for me to get a handle on. It probably doesn't help that the only ones I've played are on 3DS and I don't have a New 3DS so I absolutely suck at handling the camera. But also the attack buttons are in weird places compared to most other games and muscle memory just won't let me play it right.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the idea of Monster Hunter but Ive never had a group of friends to play it with which feels necessary

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

For ages it was a 'recommend to anyone no matter what they were asking about game' like Dark Souls or Dwarf Fortress so I dunno what happened.

I just assume it's​ the usual chat thread hating everything nonsense.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have literally no knowledge of monster hunter whatsoever but i have heard metal gear solid peacewalker and indie game "mercenary kings" both described as monster hunter like in spirit so they're probably pretty bad games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

i have literally no knowledge of monster hunter whatsoever but i have heard metal gear solid peacewalker and indie game "mercenary kings" both described as monster hunter like in spirit so they're probably pretty bad games

Peace Walker owns.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Newton Gimmick was cool on Teddy Ruxpin.

I don't have a switch yet, which is tough because I keep having to avoid Zelda spoilers, but I'll probably get one around the fall, I am hoping.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

In Training posted:

Peace Walker owns.

Mercenary Kings on the other hand most certainly does not.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Peace Walker is like Monster Hunter if monster hunter was poo poo and had metal gears

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've always avoided Monster Hunter purely because people seem to disappear into it for 130 hours and I'm sort of at my quota for games that I can do that with. Like at some point, I'm going to want to replay Witcher 3, and I'm sure Horizon: Zero Dawn takes some time to finish, and I'm also a big loser baby who likes Bethesda, so at some point I want to get back to Fallout 4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwoCvryu1n4

Peace Walker and Monster Hunter, you say

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bicyclops posted:

I've always avoided Monster Hunter purely because people seem to disappear into it for 130 hours and I'm sort of at my quota for games that I can do that with. Like at some point, I'm going to want to replay Witcher 3, and I'm sure Horizon: Zero Dawn takes some time to finish, and I'm also a big loser baby who likes Bethesda, so at some point I want to get back to Fallout 4.
HZD is not that long compared to those other games so I'd start with it!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Palpek posted:

HZD is not that long compared to those other games so I'd start with it!

My plan tonight is to stream it when I get back after work. It looks pretty cool and I guess a patch just came out for it. I hope Guerilla Games experiments with a few new IPs next after their success with it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

peace walker is really good...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

What's wrong with monster hunter's controls? You push the stick in a direction and you move, you hit a button and you attack. There's a run button and a use item button and a dodge button and a button that puts the camera behind you or pointed toward a mon you're locked on to. All of these buttons do what they're supposed to, every time you press them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

peace walker is really good...

the only thing i dont like is playing bosses solo but with a group its rad as hell. i was kind of hoping Metal Gear Survive was like a new PW, just ditch the story and do faux military monster hunter clones

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I really want to get Toukiden 2 on PS4, but i've read a lot of negative things about the gameworld being confusing and boring.

It takes a bit to get your bearings and learn where things are, but the open world part of it really isn't a problem in my opinion. You have fast travel points, a really fast run speed that lets you bypass most fights you don't want to do, and the demon hand is a free grappling hook that removes vertical constraints and lets you slingshot from tree to tree if you want. Missions and ruins exploration (basically just chained big monster fights) launch directly from the village. The story sends you out to places and you are expected to fight things out in the open world to make some areas safer, though.

I think they're going to be setting up some sort of free trial deal for it, though I'm not sure when. It's worth checking out because the weapons are all fun and varied and it streamlines basically all the tedious parts of MH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Peace walker is the worst metal gear and that's really bad considering how awful mgs4 is

• Locked thread