Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
They gave Marco Polo a 2nd season after a first that cost a lot, wasn't very popular with critics or humans, when they had less money to throw around than they do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Get Down costs $120 million and nobody ever talked about it. At least Marco Polo was popular in bulgaria or whatever. The "foreign" market doesn't give a poo poo about black people unless it's Will Smith.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Get Down actually had reportedly ballooned to $16 million an episode which is just completely bonkers. There's no way Netflix could have continued that kind of production with as little attention the show got.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Trying to watch American Horror Story: Asylum because I thought it would be scary in the way that Scream: The Series was scary but to a bigger degree...but the aliens and mutant(?) people are putting me off...is this season worth watching after the first couple of episodes?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's easily the best season of AHS. Take that how you will.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

X-O posted:

The Get Down actually had reportedly ballooned to $16 million an episode which is just completely bonkers. There's no way Netflix could have continued that kind of production with as little attention the show got.

How many of those millions were Jaden Smith? God drat. :stare:

Season 2 was extremely mediocre and pretty much tied everything up so I'm not very surprised.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

The Get Down costs $120 million and nobody ever talked about it. At least Marco Polo was popular in bulgaria or whatever. The "foreign" market doesn't give a poo poo about black people unless it's Will Smith.

How in the fuuuuuuuuuuck :aaaaa:

At least with Marco Polo you could see where the money went. Set design/costuming for that show was pretty great.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TV Zombie posted:

Trying to watch American Horror Story: Asylum because I thought it would be scary in the way that Scream: The Series was scary but to a bigger degree...but the aliens and mutant(?) people are putting me off...is this season worth watching after the first couple of episodes?

What episode are you at? The Aliens and experimentation stuff I thought was dumb, but the stuff with the nuns and the serial killer and Cromwell were more interesting.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 25, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

How in the fuuuuuuuuuuck :aaaaa:

At least with Marco Polo you could see where the money went. Set design/costuming for that show was pretty great.

Period pieces are expensive and period pieces filled with classic 70s music even more so.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this! posted:

Period pieces are expensive and period pieces filled with classic 70s music even more so.

Found an old Deadline article that mentions Netflix paying for global exclusivity rights pushed that up by like $5 mil per episode alone.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i know it's for charity but watching people who are clearly not athletic (comedians, actresses) do Ninja Warrior is really not entertaining.

Seriously, just get to the dancer, olympian, and Salmon Ladder Grandmasters.

edit: Kacy Catanzaro and Stephen Amell would have the most attractive, athletic children in the world

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 26, 2017

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

LadyPictureShow posted:

What episode are you at? The Aliens and experimentation stuff I thought was dumb, but the stuff with the nuns and the serial killer and Cromwell were more interesting.

Going to start Episode 4 soon. The beginning with the guy and his wife being visited by aliens and then Jessica Lange seeing that alien in Episode 3 had me laughing in disbelief because it seemed so out of place with the tone of the season so far.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

TV Zombie posted:

Going to start Episode 4 soon. The beginning with the guy and his wife being visited by aliens and then Jessica Lange seeing that alien in Episode 3 had me laughing in disbelief because it seemed so out of place with the tone of the season so far.

I personally found Asylum to be extremely uneven. It has a good ending but some of the middle episodes drag.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Also the fact that the majority of the show was not only filmed on location, but filmed on location in New York.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DC Murderverse posted:

i know it's for charity but watching people who are clearly not athletic (comedians, actresses) do Ninja Warrior is really not entertaining.

edit: Kacy Catanzaro and Stephen Amell would have the most attractive, athletic children in the world

Jessie Graff is the new hotness. She might have even crossed paths with Stephen Amell since, as they mention about a dozen times whenever she's on screen, she does stunt work for Supergirl.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looten Plunder posted:

Also the fact that the majority of the show was not only filmed on location, but filmed on location in New York.

A billion shows films in New York. The crazy budget is the result of screw ups by the producers and Netflix's hands off style.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Shouldn't a 70s period piece be dirt cheap as far as those things go though? It's all stuff that's still around, and then anything that is a collector's item or whatever that's become too expensive they can make a knockoff version. Whereas with a period piece set 100+ years ago they'd have to custom build basically everything.

GoT costs 6-10 million per episode and that's a show where basically every object ever shown is made for the show or CG.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Does it really cost that much to license music from the '70s at this point? Cold Case, that crime procedural from last decade, had multiple cheesy songs from the '70s on like every other episode.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

A billion shows films in New York. The crazy budget is the result of screw ups by the producers and Netflix's hands off style.

I'm not going to argue there weren't a one of production screw ups that blew stuff out, but don't discount the fact that shooting on location in New York for a show like this must be crazy expensive. Shows like Broad City, Master of None and Louie would have crews about 10% of the size of something like this, it's totally not comparable.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm not going to argue there weren't a one of production screw ups that blew stuff out, but don't discount the fact that shooting on location in New York for a show like this must be crazy expensive. Shows like Broad City, Master of None and Louie would have crews about 10% of the size of something like this, it's totally not comparable.

There are tax incentives so its not as expensive as you think.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Josh Lyman posted:

Maybe if you live in NY or LA.

An American friend came to Montreal to visit a couple weeks ago and was very upset at how hot everyone was. "What the gently caress!" he said.

I didn't have the heart to tell him I feel the same way whenever I go into town.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

An American friend came to Montreal to visit a couple weeks ago and was very upset at how hot everyone was. "What the gently caress!" he said.

I didn't have the heart to tell him I feel the same way whenever I go into town.

If all the attractive people in Colombia died tomorrow, there would hardly be anyone left.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Does it really cost that much to license music from the '70s at this point? Cold Case, that crime procedural from last decade, had multiple cheesy songs from the '70s on like every other episode.

One of those shows that went on for years and years but in retrospect doesn't really seem like it was such a big deal. See also: Without a Trace, to some extent Law & Order: Criminal Intent and CSI: NY etc.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of those shows that went on for years and years but in retrospect doesn't really seem like it was such a big deal. See also: Without a Trace, to some extent Law & Order: Criminal Intent and CSI: NY etc.

This is how I feel about Wings, and I even grew up during it.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

raditts posted:

The licensing cost varies depending on whether its for broadcasting or home video release.

Cold Case, if I'm not mistaken, never got a home video release precisely for this reason.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

raditts posted:

Jessie Graff is the new hotness. She might have even crossed paths with Stephen Amell since, as they mention about a dozen times whenever she's on screen, she does stunt work for Supergirl.

She was a stunt woman on a few episodes in season 1 when they filmed in LA. In season 2 she was actually a guest star in one episode.

Looking at her IMDB credits, her steadiest job seems to have been as Beth Riesgraf's stunt double on Leverage.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DC Murderverse posted:

Stephen Amell seemed pretty good at it. If it wasn't for charity I'm sure he could have done it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

sbaldrick posted:

Stephen Amell seemed pretty good at it. If it wasn't for charity I'm sure he could have done it.

Well, he does do the salmon ladder a lot on Arrow, or at least he did when I still watched it regularly.
I think he also trains for the show at one of those gyms where they focus on parkour and have practice Ninja Warrior obstacles set up.
People on his facebook page have been trying to get him to go on for years.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's wanted to do it since the first episode, Big CW said "Nuppies."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

He's wanted to do it since the first episode, Big CW said "Nuppies."

Probably injury risk.

But what they should do is compromise and have him do it in-character as a cross-promotion.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snak posted:

Probably injury risk.

But what they should do is compromise and have him do it in-character as a cross-promotion.

Haha yeah have a stunt guy do the course and "fail" /get stuck on the course and ohhh poo poo some crazy guy is climbing up to save him! What's he wearing????

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bryan Fuller posted:

“I have conversations with [producer] Martha De Laurentiis. I have conversations with Mads [Mikkelsen] and Hugh [Dancy]; we’re all excited about the prospect of returning to the story. There’re some hurdles to get through. The rights revert back to Martha in September, I believe, and then it’s a matter of: do we do it with [previous production company] Gaumont? Which would be the only way to do it if we wanted to use those characters.”

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo!!!!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ffffuuuuuuuu

As someone who's not completely getting on board with American Gods I WANT THIS SO BAD

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
American Gods is pretty great so far. A bit slow, but ep4 just blew some poo poo wide open.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm enjoying the general weirdness of American Gods but also slightly regretting not saving it for a binge since it does move fairly slow.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How many episodes is the first season going to be?

I've got other stuff to watch and haven't started it yet, so I'm probably just going to hold off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

8, it is only going to cover about a third of the novel.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wonder if Bedalia's leg luau will be canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's also the whole falling off a cliff thing.

• Locked thread