Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Naw he's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Junyer has the potential to kneecap NASCAR and, in a battle between he and Brian France, is going to have all the support.

devmd01 posted:

I just accidentally completely threw shade at Austin Cindric. To his face.

I don't think anybody will fault you for that 'round these parts.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kyle Busch

is good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

At poaching wins

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'd find it loving hilarious if Dale decides to just burn Nascar to the ground on his way out.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Norns posted:

Naw he's right.

so he's right in wishing a career ending injury on a driver, ok

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

njsykora posted:

I'd find it loving hilarious if Dale decides to just burn Nascar to the ground on his way out.

I think he genuinely cares about it way too much to do that, but it feels like the guy is gonna be ruthless in getting them to fix their poo poo at least.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

You are very odd in the things you take 100 percent literal

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I guess I just don't find it super endearing to wreck people postrace on pit road while folks are just walking around. It'd be a measurably safer sport without his involvement, regardless of the potentially hyperbolic way he leaves.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hope Kyle Busch dies.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I hope Kyle Busch dies.

WOW

I am simply appalled, sir. I cannot believe I am reading such hateful words. Online, of all places!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'll explain later I'm busy consuming free booze at IMS

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I hope Kyle Busch dies.

If its any consilation I bet he is dead inside

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

CactusWeasle posted:

If its any consilation I bet he is dead inside

He definitely has dead eyes

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think he genuinely cares about it way too much to do that, but it feels like the guy is gonna be ruthless in getting them to fix their poo poo at least.

If nothing else, it's going to make it very hard for NASCAR to continue to lean on some of the stuff they have to go ":tif:" with in the last few years (ceasing the reporting of attendance to mask dwindling attendance, "Well, people consume races differently now and that's why ratings are down", etc.). Hopefully, it leads to some looking within/soul searching to get over themselves and start bettering th--:lol: I almost made it through that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's a few things NASCAR needs to do, if you ask me.

0. Nuke the loving chase or whatever you're calling it.
1. NUKE. THE. CHASE.
2. End Buschwacking for real. You're strangling your upcoming talent in the crib. Making it so that you can only get points in one series was a good idea, but go a step further: make it so you can only participate in one race in a weekend (with a few exceptions, such as Eldora and the Daytona 500).
3. Reduce repeat tracks and open it up to "new" tracks. If you have open slots left over, then open it up to repeats.
4. Did I say to nuke the chase? Nuke the chase.
5. Keep stages, but refigure the points for them. Have the first two stages be a quarter of the advertised length, and the last one half of it.
6. In case of a tie, look at wins. First two stage wins count as 1 "win", overall winner is 2. If wins are tied? 2nd place finishes. Same deal.
7. END THE CHASE
8. Use Xfinity as a "test bed". Both MLB and NHL use their top minor leagues as a means to test out new rules (to be fair, they are with the race at Indy). Take a cue from them.
9. Move your classic races back to their traditional dates.
10. Allow drivers to have a personality.
11. GET RID OF THE drat CHASE:tizzy:

Though a lot of this is broken record.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
None of those are the most important bit which is that they need a car that can race well on intermediate tracks and in dirty air. The points system is stupid but NASCAR has always had a stupid points system.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/866069641470332928

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
they want 4337 cars crossing the finish line simultaneously which means an aero package of all the downforce in the world so no one can actually get away but this also means you cant pass in turns

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The actual most important thing they need to do if they want to keep this thing alive is reduce team costs dramatically, because sponsors are drying up and poo poo keeps getting more expensive.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

kidcoelacanth posted:

The actual most important thing they need to do if they want to keep this thing alive is reduce team costs dramatically, because sponsors are drying up and poo poo keeps getting more expensive.

The biggest thing NASCAR can do in this regard is to reduce the number of races in the schedule. But NASCAR will never do this, because of all that TV money. As a result, more and more teams will struggle to find enough sponsorship to run the full Cup season, and you might get a situation where car counts go down even further.

The NBA is in a similar situation, where there are 20 or 30 games that could be easily cut from the regular schedule. Less wear and tear on players and teams and would make each regular season game more important and valuable, but the NBA gets too much money from all of those pointless games in the second half of the season.

But hey, as long as the executives get more money, who cares about the overall health of the product?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
do teams still run chassisn multiple races or even years like they did back in the day

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Proud Christian Mom posted:

do teams still run chassisn multiple races or even years like they did back in the day

they do, but at least back a few years ago, they were building like 5 of a type of car (say, shorttrack), shake all 5 on the 4 post, then junk or sell 3 of em. repeat that multiple times for each type of car.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Cygni posted:

they do, but at least back a few years ago, they were building like 5 of a type of car (say, shorttrack), shake all 5 on the 4 post, then junk or sell 3 of em. repeat that multiple times for each type of car.

nature finds a way!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/868188586159550468

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Congrats on getting your primary sponsor back for only two races Danica!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Danica's sponsors always get closeups and lots of airtime in the caution replays and highlight reels, I can't understand why they're not lined up around the block.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The big news here is Clint Bowyer with a health food sponsor

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

nature finds a way!

NASCAR 2017: Nature ('s Bakery) finds a way!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Bingo!

(...Got that done in time for Bingo.)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

shame on an IGA posted:

Danica's sponsors always get closeups and lots of airtime in the caution replays and highlight reels, I can't understand why they're not lined up around the block.

SHR wants a lot of money, rightfully.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Cygni posted:

SHR wants a lot of money, rightfully.

Gene is also one of those rare owners that can just slap his name on the car and write it off on his taxes. So it's not like they need a sponsorship to keep that car running, and can hold out for the right deal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

The biggest thing NASCAR can do in this regard is to reduce the number of races in the schedule. But NASCAR will never do this, because of all that TV money. As a result, more and more teams will struggle to find enough sponsorship to run the full Cup season, and you might get a situation where car counts go down even further.

The NBA is in a similar situation, where there are 20 or 30 games that could be easily cut from the regular schedule. Less wear and tear on players and teams and would make each regular season game more important and valuable, but the NBA gets too much money from all of those pointless games in the second half of the season.

But hey, as long as the executives get more money, who cares about the overall health of the product?

This is another problem NASCAR really, really needs to figure out: if you can't get people to the track, why would they watch on TV?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
NASCAR's real problem is that when I turn on a race these days on the TV, I setup a pillow on the couch and maybe a blanket. Then maybe I chat for a bit in #NASCAR on irc. Next, the dog wanders over and we all take an afternoon nap because the racing puts me to sleep.

Sometimes I wish there were more races at 9:00 EST because sometimes I get insomnia.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Racing puts me to sleep a lot of the time as well, not even necessarily related to the race quality its just the engine sounds put me in a trance and my sofa is comfy.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

iospace posted:

This is another problem NASCAR really, really needs to figure out: if you can't get people to the track, why would they watch on TV?

I feel like this is backwards. If you can't get them to watch for free on TV, why would someone shell out the money to go in person?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

njsykora posted:

Racing puts me to sleep a lot of the time as well, not even necessarily related to the race quality its just the engine sounds put me in a trance and my sofa is comfy.

Same except instead of a trance it gives me a huge erection. I'm not invited to Memorial Day with my family anymore.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

I feel like this is backwards. If you can't get them to watch for free on TV, why would someone shell out the money to go in person?

Because the track experience is VASTLY better than watching on TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

You're absolutely right it is, but TV makes it look terrible and not worth going to see. You get less of a view with all the on-board/tight-in 1 car shots when things are actually going on, missed incidents and with more terrible and incorrect commentary. It makes it look boring as hell, when it's not in-person.

• Locked thread