Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Paladin posted:

Hey what's the origin of their use of "duck hunt" to make fun of bad columnists/pundits? Did they come up with it themselves or is that from something? Any broader significance?

They called it "chapo death threats" for like one episode, with a disclaimer that they were not real death threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Paladin posted:

Hey what's the origin of their use of "duck hunt" to make fun of bad columnists/pundits? Did they come up with it themselves or is that from something? Any broader significance?

It might be a reference to the old video game but more likely it's just a generally reference to duck hunting itself. Make a noise to scare a flock of them into flying up off the water, then open fire on the easy targets.

Also I miss Chapo Death threats. It only lasted for like 3 episodes but it was great hearing them dish out weirdly specific and ludicrous threats of killing someone.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

"An illegal" loving triggers me, no lie. gently caress you.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Ron Jeremy posted:

"An illegal" loving triggers me, no lie. gently caress you.

if you like that you'll love asylum seekers and refugees being referred to as "illegals" here in australia, it definitely doesn't make me goddamn furious and sick to my stomach

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

cat doter posted:

if you like that you'll love asylum seekers and refugees being referred to as "illegals" here in australia, it definitely doesn't make me goddamn furious and sick to my stomach

Dutton's poo poo with "fake refugees" over the past week is chilling, because it seems like the Australian reactionaries are just planning on taking direct cues from Trump's jackboot ICE squads now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Paladin posted:

in duck hunting you get a bunch of ducks flapping into the air to make nice easy targets for you to just blast away at, so when there's a bunch of weepy pissboys writing stupid takes at once and it's easy to just go from take to take going 'no gently caress this moron' it's like that

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/865730160020029440

e: bonus scene where he tells Don to punch him in the face if he ever says he isn't a newsman. The seething rage watching this is so familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkjdOEj6xGY

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 26, 2017

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

TheBigAristotle posted:

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/865730160020029440

e: bonus scene where he tells Don to punch him in the face if he ever says he isn't a newsman. The seething rage watching this is so familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkjdOEj6xGY

matt's reaction to vapid oval office sorority girl working for jeff newsroom is so good: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUcgcEUhRt3/?taken-by=byyourlogic&hl=en

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
ugh that loving scene with some repetitive easy listening rock trying to build it up and they're all so glad that they called it right because he's doing the god drat news

BUT NONE OF THIS loving HAPPENED

GIFFORDS IS A REAL PERSON, WHO WAS SHOT, IN THE REAL WORLD, A YEAR PRIOR, IT WAS REPORTED INCORRECTLY MOMENTARILY, THIS SHOW IS FANTASY NONE OF THIS MATTERS

it's loving news fan fiction and it's so insipid I want to die, I don't know how people can take hours of this alone 4 minutes, it's loving unbearable

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

padijun posted:

matt's reaction to vapid oval office sorority girl working for jeff newsroom is so good: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUcgcEUhRt3/?taken-by=byyourlogic&hl=en

No matter how many times I actually see Matt talking, all I can picture when listening to the show is Rich Evans.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No matter how many times I actually see Matt talking, all I can picture when listening to the show is Rich Evans.

his weird shrieking cackle can never be ascribed to another human being

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Chapo Death Threats was so good lol

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Early today a new episode with David Cross has shown up for free, but probably everyone here has seen it.

However, remember that promised episode where Matt talks about gaming on that podcast Felix was at? Got dropped today as well!!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Kunster posted:

Early today a new episode with David Cross has shown up for free, but probably everyone here has seen it.

However, remember that promised episode where Matt talks about gaming on that podcast Felix was at? Got dropped today as well!!

Nice! The country is collapsing but it is resulting in lots of content, at least.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Paladin posted:

Starting with episode 11, Chapo Death Threats became Chapo Duck Hunt because, to paraphrase, "the people we go after are so bitchmade they'll probably sue us despite the disclaimer that these aren't real death threats."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kunster posted:

Really enjoyed this, and even though I still play games it really struck a chord with me. I remember when I was in a video game major my first year of college I loving hated everyone in my classes because their only identity was video games and it was so loving boring.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/PlatoMachiaveli/status/868124990993989632

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was weirded out just recently because re: the whole Sad Puppies thing, I somehow totally missed that Vox Day was a founding member of Psykosonik.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

He's a very bad poster

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That guy isn't even the worst poster in the twin peaks thread lmao

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
twin peaks is going to drive a lot of prestige tv viewers insane

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This past episode is probably my new favorite, from David Cross stumbling into an inside joke to Kasich's lunatic ramblings about moose.

How the gently caress can he be so scared of a moose?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Moose are deadly, man

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

inthesto posted:

This past episode is probably my new favorite, from David Cross stumbling into an inside joke to Kasich's lunatic ramblings about moose.

How the gently caress can he be so scared of a moose?

they weigh 1000 pounds and could probably kill you by turning their head if they get spooked by a squirrel or something theyre quite frightening

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

its pretty funny that the dry boys talked about how obvious it is that moose are terrifying and kasich is insulting his readers by implying they think moose are harmless but we have some poster immediately go "lol who would be afraid of a moose"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

got some chores tonight posted:

its pretty funny that the dry boys talked about how obvious it is that moose are terrifying and kasich is insulting his readers by implying they think moose are harmless but we have some poster immediately go "lol who would be afraid of a moose"

They're also dangerous if you're driving around in a car, because a car is at the right height to take out their legs, and then the enormous moose body tends to go through the windshield and kill people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Moose are indeed very intimidating but that "What moose, daddy?" story is still completely bizarre.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea he took it to a weird place real fast but lol if you're pretending to not fear the might and primal power of the majestic moose

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

the kasich/lieberman presidency will be good indeed

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
the swedish army in the world power days tried to implement some kind of moose cavalry but it didnt work out

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Man, it's been a while since I've thought about the BME pain olympics.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Matt has some very hot takes on gaming and the "fantasy of agency" it produces

https://twitter.com/Hegelbon/status/868090424598171648

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
i was ready to hate matt's opinions but its actually good as hell

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Javes posted:

Man, it's been a while since I've thought about the BME pain olympics.

I think it was an elaborate ruse to get david cross to go google that privately.

e: this poo poo is goon as gently caress.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm very interested in the MGS series, but frankly don't have time to play all the games and don't particularly want to play really old games. Is there a particular LP that's ideal for experiencing the first games, and any particularly good sites/threads/whatever for analysis?

Poking around online reveals this fandom stuff that seems to miss any actual analysis. Like I get that Johnny Sasaki is a joke on the concept of the invincible super-soldier, but the MGS wikia just humourlessly documents his struggles with IBS throughout the series.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm very interested in the MGS series, but frankly don't have time to play all the games and don't particularly want to play really old games. Is there a particular LP that's ideal for experiencing the first games, and any particularly good sites/threads/whatever for analysis?

Poking around online reveals this fandom stuff that seems to miss any actual analysis. Like I get that Johnny Sasaki is a joke on the concept of the invincible super-soldier, but the MGS wikia just humourlessly documents his struggles with IBS throughout the series.

Just play MGS3. It's a good game that stands on its own really well. If you enjoyed its gameplay, MGS Twin Snakes then MGS2. 4 is a culmination of both timelines' stories, so hold off on that one until after you've played what you want of the series. Peace Walker and MGSV continue the Big Boss storyline, but MGS4 is really understandable without having played Peace Walker, and MGSV is basically a sixth toe with really loving goddamn good gameplay.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Matt's point about the connection between gamer culture and libertarianism is interesting.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Javes posted:

Matt's point about the connection between gamer culture and libertarianism is interesting.

Which is so loving weird to me, because pro-consumerist ideas are antithetical to libertarian ones.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Matt is mostly right as hell about video games but I'm still going to play them. I don't think video games are any more of a dead end than any other medium at the moment though. They might have a bigger hurdle to clear than movies/tv/books, but I think at some point we'll get to that horizon Alex claims is there. Probably after the completely collapse of the AAA industry due to untenable budgets/profit margins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

He was a fuckin weirdo in the football thread as well. Ever hear that story of Leicester City winning the English Premier League last year on 1000-1 odds? Guess who was suddenly a fan that season? (He's not anymore, naturally)

Also he's one of these "I'm not a pedo, I just like teenage girls" types. Avoid this poster at all costs.