Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

Vote defeatism, prepare for fist.

We're all going to get fisted my friend, i'm just warning you to keep the lube ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Labour Peer Lord West responding to Corbyns speech:

Lord West posted:

They [radical Islamists] have created a narrative and myth that because we are involved abroad, that's why there is terrorism... and that is clearly completely wrong.

Translation: the people who do terrorism keep telling us why they are doing terrorism, but they're wrong.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Can they not keep quiet until the election is over? loving idiots.

Although I do think ISIS are a completely different situation to all the other terrorist factions. ISIS were made by western foreign policy, but I think it is a bolted horse situation. They are basically a violent death cult and I don't think leaving the middle east will actually stop them pursuing terrorism. We've created a real monster and I don't know how we fix it. I don't think anyone has the answer beyond creating a super weapon that can kill all the ISIS members in one go. Which will also include women and children.

I think Corbyn and the hawks both think of ISIS as something like Alqaeda who CAN be reasoned with, or in terms of the hawks, have rational goals that can be prevented by the use of force. They're really not.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 26, 2017

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

jabby posted:

Labour Peer Lord West responding to Corbyns speech:

Translation: the people who do terrorism keep telling us why they are doing terrorism, but they're wrong.

This is hilarious.

"This is why we are doing this"
"No it isn't"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

We've created a real monster and I don't know how we fix it. I don't think anyone has the answer beyond creating a super weapon that can kill all the ISIS members in one go. Which will also include women and children.

Not treating the middle east like a giant game of Command and Conquer and instead committing resources to allow the affected peoples to rebuild their countries and repel Isis on their own terms would be a pretty good start.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Regarde Aduck posted:

Can they not keep quiet until the election is over? loving idiots.

Although I do think ISIS are a completely different situation to all the other terrorist factions. ISIS were made by western foreign policy, but I think it is a bolted horse situation. They are basically a violent death cult and I don't think leaving the middle east will actually stop them pursuing terrorism. We've created a real monster and I don't know how we fix it. I don't think anyone has the answer beyond creating a super weapon that can kill all the ISIS members in one go. Which will also include women and children.

I think Corbyn and the hawks both think of ISIS as something like Alqaeda who CAN be reasoned with, or in terms of the hawks, have rational goals that can be prevented by the use of force. They're really not.

When/if there's another war actually fixing the place they broke would be good.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah ISIS really do need to be crushed, they're not going away if they're left alone and they are literally committing genocide. That doesn't detract from the fact that we helped create them though. Realistically an international UN peacekeeping force could be the only option, but it would require a lot more resources than are currently available. Any national intervention by specific western countries (including russia) would almost certainly play into their hands.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 26, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MrFlibble posted:

We're all going to get fisted my friend, i'm just warning you to keep the lube ready.
No it's going to be four fingers maximum per orifice.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yeah, you're looking at a level of investment similar to postwar Germany if you want a proper repair job at this point. But it feels like the only way out of this mess.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

mfcrocker posted:

Imagine being a Lib Dem in 2017. Imagine supporting that jibbering chimp as party leader.

"We live in a nasty world with an anarchic international situation. You have to be willing to use your armed forces to advance British objectives. You have to be willing to press the Red Button. You have to be tough on terrorism."

A quote from Thatcher, or a quote from a Lid Dem doorknocking friend of mine, you decide.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Watching the mail scramble to criticise Corbyn's speech is pretty amazing as they argued in their editorial on Wednesday that increased funding for the police and intelligence services was needed and that Cameron's intervention in Libya was directly to blame for the attack. All they have is "we don't like the guy who said it."

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The Lib Dem heart of dorkness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It is worth remembering, though, that while ISIS is an insane death cult that cannot be reasoned with, there's a reason people are siding with it anyway. Bashar al-Assad has inflicted orders of magnitude more misery and carnage on the people of Syria, to the point where agreeing to work for the decapitation-happy Wahhabist lunatics can be an entirely rational act of self-preservation if you're a Sunni Arab. Also, the FSA, the main opposition to Assad, have been entirely hollowed out and replaced with al-Qa'eda franchises now, so they're a difficult sell.

Other than supporting Rojava, which is becoming more and more politically awkward as they become more deeply embroiled in conflict with Turkey (which has an awful government, but is a powerful and important NATO ally), and which has no interest in fixing Syria, only securing its own borders, there's really not much we can do to improve the situation in Syria.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Spuckuk posted:

"We live in a nasty world with an anarchic international situation. You have to be willing to use your armed forces to advance British objectives. You have to be willing to press the Red Button. You have to be tough on terrorism."

A quote from Thatcher, or a quote from a Lid Dem doorknocking friend of mine, you decide.

is google cheating

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's insane that the libdems are now speaking out in favour of interventionist foreign policy. Surely that's gonna completely divebomb whatever support they still have.

I vaguely remembering supporting them on those grounds back when they had Kennedy in charge who was the last decent libdem I can remember. Menzies just whined about ageism.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/26/ifs-tells-uk-voters-choice-between-undeliverable-unworkable-conservatives-labour-?CMP=fb_gu

IFS Says both manifestos don't work financially, for different reasons. Can't tell if this is a legit criticism or not. Obviously nobody knows exactly how much revenue labour's policies would generate, but I'm not clever enough to do the math.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The libdems have tried to carve out a niche as liberal war hawks at least since the Westminster attack. For all Farron's QQing about Corbyn scoring political points it's been Farron himself most of all that's siezed on attacks like this to build a platform.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

spectralent posted:

is google cheating

Nah

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They are at taxes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

going with your lib dem mate

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Alright, vote posted, labour for the first time, betraying class interests. Reserve me a nice comfy spot against the wall please.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 26, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

spectralent posted:

going with your lib dem mate

Worryingly correct!

Your prize is being smug when they oust Farron for being worthless after the GE

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So there was apparently a standing ovation at LBC when Hopkins got the boot.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Just want to say that I'm appreciate the people in this thread, reminds of the good LF days. But why all the "hope is a lie" comments? We're leftists, we have a different view on how things should be run, we should be allowed to hope as much as we want. The important thing is to work towards our collective goals collectively, to the best of our abilities, with love in our hearts and enthusiasm in our step.
Now if you lack faith in yourselves and our collective power, then sure, minimize your despair by being cynical. But I prefer a phrase that came out of the U.K., from an odd source, "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment". :D

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Miftan posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/26/ifs-tells-uk-voters-choice-between-undeliverable-unworkable-conservatives-labour-?CMP=fb_gu

IFS Says both manifestos don't work financially, for different reasons. Can't tell if this is a legit criticism or not. Obviously nobody knows exactly how much revenue labour's policies would generate, but I'm not clever enough to do the math.

Wren-Lewis thinks it's wrong, at least: https://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/but-do-numbers-add-up.html

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

This sustains me

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ardent Communist posted:

Just want to say that I'm appreciate the people in this thread, reminds of the good LF days. But why all the "hope is a lie" comments? We're leftists, we have a different view on how things should be run, we should be allowed to hope as much as we want. The important thing is to work towards our collective goals collectively, to the best of our abilities, with love in our hearts and enthusiasm in our step.
Now if you lack faith in yourselves and our collective power, then sure, minimize your despair by being cynical. But I prefer a phrase that came out of the U.K., from an odd source, "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment". :D

It's a reminder that Corbyn is still 5 points Behind on the polls, with two weeks of campaigning to go (which probably will help, but May may start being competent?). Milliband was 6 points ahead at one point, was neck and neck heading into polling day, and look how that turned out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

nothing to seehere posted:

It's a reminder that Corbyn is still 5 points Behind on the polls, with two weeks of campaigning to go (which probably will help, but May may start being competent?). Milliband was 6 points ahead at one point, was neck and neck heading into polling day, and look how that turned out.

If we ran the same polling method from 2015 then Corbyn would currently be slightly ahead or thereabouts, this polling method is more likely to be accurate - although remember that polling percentage is not uniform distribution - he could be picking up votes in deep red districts which doesn't do anything to help.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/868119936081829888

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/868107585286795265

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/868109386190815233

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

wren-lewis is technically correct; of course it is Labour which finds its hands tied to public commitment to a balanced structural budget and long-term reduction of the deficit, as a political commitment that even Corbyn dare not defy. this is not 1983, where Labour said:

quote:

How will we pay for it?

Given our commitment to increase public spending, it is right that people should ask: how will we pay for it?

It would be wrong to finance the initial boost to spending by increasing taxation. Only if ours was a fully employed economy would this be the right way of doing it. But our economy today is chronically under-employed. We have people out of work, idle plant, and unused savings. To finance expansion by increasing taxation in these circumstances would be wrong. For the increased spending in one part of the economy would be cancelled out by decreased expenditure elsewhere. Of course, once the economy gets much nearer to full employment, some taxes will have to be increased, both to shift the tax balance towards those who can best afford to pay, and to help finance our social programme.

Like any other expanding industrial enterprise, we shall borrow to finance our programme of investment. This is better than borrowing, as the Tories are doing, in order to pay for the dole queue or to provide finance for the Argentine government to buy arms.

There is no shortage of savings in the country available for borrowing today. Indeed, vast amounts of British money - more than the government's total borrowing requirement last year - are flowing into overseas investment. For with our present slump, there is not the demand for investment here.

But the scale of borrowing will not be nearly as great as the increase in spending. Spending generates new income and new savings. As the economy recovers we shall be able to spend less on keeping people unemployed. And when people get jobs they will also pay income tax and spend more on goods which are taxed. Last year benefit payments, and tax revenues foregone - because of unemployment - cost the nation some £17,000 million. There are also important savings to be made by cancelling the present government 5 massive expenditure programmes on Trident and on PWR nuclear reactors.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ronya posted:

wren-lewis is technically correct; of course it is Labour which finds its hands tied to public commitment to a balanced structural budget and long-term reduction of the deficit, as a political commitment that even Corbyn dare not defy. this is not 1983, where Labour said:

I think he's at least correct that being able to point out borrowing is done essentially free at present, so it'd be madness not to buy assets with it, would be a good defence.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

The IFS was founded by a banker, a stock broker, investment trust manager & a tax consultant in a huff after Jim Callaghan introduced Capital Gains & Corporation Taxes.

gently caress them. They may well be "politically neutral" but they certainly aren't ideologically neutral.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tesseraction posted:

Well it's not like his intended policies will ever be relevant.

*attacks and undermines Labour instead of the government while complaining about the need for a strong opposition*
*divides left-wing vote in marginals*
*cynically makes 'anti-Brexit' a key election issue despite realistically having no power to stop it*
*vows to go into coalition with the Tories if he gets the opportunity*

There's actually a lot of things to criticise Tim Farron for! The milk tableau is inexcusable though

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

https://twitter.com/AJScattergood/status/867497144420380673

Life comes at you fast.

May being told of the dangers of police cuts in Manchester two years ago and brushing it off.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

The IFS was founded by a banker, a stock broker, investment trust manager & a tax consultant in a huff after Jim Callaghan introduced Capital Gains & Corporation Taxes.

gently caress them. They may well be "politically neutral" but they certainly aren't ideologically neutral.

I figured as much, but that doesn't mean that the argument doesn't need to be exposed as bullshit if it is, for the benefit of people who see this poo poo on Facebook and don't realise that bankers have an interest in keeping things as they are.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
All pundits: "The terrorist threat today is unprecedented!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tim Farron decrying Corbyn today has been horribly undermined by his own party, courtesy of perfidious upstart... oh it's Tim Farron https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201516/cmhansrd/cm151202/debtext/151202-0002.htm

Ctrl+F "Kennedy"

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

spectralent posted:

I think he's at least correct that being able to point out borrowing is done essentially free at present, so it'd be madness not to buy assets with it, would be a good defence.

this is only true if the government borrows to hold the cake and satiate itself on the ants the cake is attracting, rather than eat the delicious, moist cake.

it's one thing to sketch this on paper, it's another thing to convince people that this is your plan. Labour would last about ten seconds before orgasming over the prospect of getting to use state shareholdership to shape corporate policy, you know this. the Tories will fire sale assets to Sid, or rather, they'll fire sale the cake to their buddies and give Sid the cherry at a low, low price.

of course the public does not trust this government or any plausible British government to have discipline. there are deep reasons why Norway sunk its oil windfall into a sovereign wealth fund whereas Britain sunk it into deficit reduction; these cultural factors still hold sway today - such discipline requires a degree of establishment consensus which does not exist.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Ardent Communist posted:

There's good hope and bad hope. Bad hope is blind optimism and positivity in the face of likely or inevitable defeat, setting yourself up for despair and demoralization down the road. Good hope rests on the knowledge that we have been defeated, likely will be again, but that we can take solace in and be sustained by whatever small victories we do win. "Hope is a lie" is a terrible, defeatist attitude and I'm frankly sick of hearing it, but conversely we should also be realistic so we don't burn ourselves out staking our hopes on the timid resurgence of a left that's been destroyed several times over even while at much higher levels of public support, class consciousness and organisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Zephro posted:

All pundits: "The terrorist threat today is unprecedented!"

Yes, but did you consider that

Muslims!!!

• Locked thread