Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ether Frenzy posted:

$750 will get you a full day in M4s and M3s with BMW's M Car Control Clinic which is well worth it
$750 will get you 90 minutes in the Porsche GT4 which doesn't sound like it's worth it
$1550 will get you a full day of the M School at either of BMW's performance centers (Thermal, CA and Greenville, SC)

I don't know if it still exists, but porsche world road show was the best thing. When I was in SoCal (they hit a bunch of major cities), they would rent autoclub speedway and let people drive 911s around it (lead follow) for free.
Yeah, you had to go through some marketing poo poo and also drive their SUVs for a bit, but for zero dollars it was a great deal. Also free food.
When I moved from socal, I wasn't on the right lists, so I don't know if it still exists. It was only a few laps, but again, free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

The answer is simple, just buy what you want and then make excuses after it arrives.

Pretty much what I do. She gets nervous about me "constantly buying and selling cars" as she puts it. Relax, I've been doing this way before I met you I tell her. She's astonished at the number of cars I have owned, it's not normal I guess?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm so glad I married someone who doesn't care how many cars I have.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
....on cars and marriage:

Wife wants me to get a bigger truck so we can fit the kids and haul a pontoon boat, and she puts up with my bullshit. I got lucky.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Relax, I've been doing this way before I met you I tell her. She's astonished at the number of cars I have owned, it's not normal I guess?

Everyone has a number in their mind when they think about their partner before they met you, but they are afraid to ask in case the real number is much higher.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I spent my whole 10 year marriage sharing one car. When I finally had enough of that bullshit and bought an $1800 beater for myself she filed for divorce. Not even joking.

Now I'm divorced with 4 cars. I consider it a step up.

(obviously there was more to it but I think the timing was funny)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I'm so glad I married someone who doesn't care how many cars I have.

I'd have more if I had the room or even a garage. Would have probably kept my Miata if I had a garage :(

spog posted:

Everyone has a number in their mind when they think about their partner before they met you, but they are afraid to ask in case the real number is much higher.

Haha. I'm a car slut.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SHe doesn't care how many cars I have for the most part. But if this makes her look better in the eyes of the higher ups it also means the move to SC/NC might be sooner rather than later. She just told me if we buy a house I can fill the entire yard with cars for all she cares.

Maybe Ill just bolt an EVO wing to the MS6?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

before we got married my wife said that i could buy whatever car i wanted, so i started shopping for a Forester to convert into a sweet rear end Forester STi.

Turns out she meant any car but the Forester because it's ugly and she hates it.

So I was like ok, fine, whatever, and started shopping for a nice BMW.

Turns out it's too small for our lifestyle right now. I need a pickup truck so we can be spontaneous and buy furniture or 10 foot sections of pipe without having to ask the father in law to come help.

Ok, fine, so i start shopping for a pickup truck.

Turns out a modern pickup truck with decent miles for $15,000 is too expensive now that we're debt free why in the world would we want to go back into debt?!?!

I told her I will not be driving the Saturn this winter come hell or high water but based on my current track record I dont really think that's going to go the way that I'd like it to either.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My wife has a Tiguan and it is all she wants. I get whatever I want and tbh she is scared of driving anything that has even a sliver of performance.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Marriages are about compromise and not black-and-white decision-making?! WEIRD!!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

scuz posted:

Marriages are about compromise and not black-and-white decision-making?! WEIRD!!
People like to communicate with other people on the internet about various life similarities?! WEIRD!!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

funny Star Wars parody posted:

before we got married my wife said that i could buy whatever car i wanted, so i started shopping for a Forester to convert into a sweet rear end Forester STi.

Turns out she meant any car but the Forester because it's ugly and she hates it.

So I was like ok, fine, whatever, and started shopping for a nice BMW.

Turns out it's too small for our lifestyle right now. I need a pickup truck so we can be spontaneous and buy furniture or 10 foot sections of pipe without having to ask the father in law to come help.

Ok, fine, so i start shopping for a pickup truck.

Turns out a modern pickup truck with decent miles for $15,000 is too expensive now that we're debt free why in the world would we want to go back into debt?!?!

I told her I will not be driving the Saturn this winter come hell or high water but based on my current track record I dont really think that's going to go the way that I'd like it to either.

Please do the needful, save money and buy truck outright. Then no debt :P

Or, other protip: small/medium car/suv with a tow hitch, then get a lightweight trailer for those emergency "Furniture or pipes for the dom/sub room" trips (I kid, I kid... :P ). I have a truck, and a trailer, and gently caress is the trailer ever the cats-rear end for a LOT of things.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Buy your wife whatever the gently caress she wants, and she'll leave you alone about your cars. :v: I told her before marriage that cars are about the only thing I spend money on and she was fine with that. I've spent very little money on cars since and have kept this one for more 6 months! (not typical)

Even if it's what you want to do you start thinking about other priorities for time and money. I wouldn't put it all on the wife. Dunno, maybe I've just lost the car love as of late.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Siochain posted:

Please do the needful, save money and buy truck outright. Then no debt :P

Or, other protip: small/medium car/suv with a tow hitch, then get a lightweight trailer for those emergency "Furniture or pipes for the dom/sub room" trips (I kid, I kid... :P ). I have a truck, and a trailer, and gently caress is the trailer ever the cats-rear end for a LOT of things.

Normally I would be down for this but my dad's neighbour is selling his 2014 GMC Sierra four door with 60k miles for $20k (ive never seen these that cheap) or for $15k if I give him my saturn as part of the deal (which is just such a silly good deal that I really should NOT pass it up)

But we just dropped about $10,000 cash on a new hot water heater, furnace, and goodies for turning the laundry room into The Dream Laundry Room so I can understand why she is stressing out about money but god damnnnn

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
all i really want in my life carwise is a nice spacious wagon

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

fridge corn posted:

all i really want in my life carwise is a nice spacious wagon

Me too but the wife haaaaaaaaaaaates wagons. It took 10 years of being together for her to accept a hatchback. What I want is a early 70s american wagon, but I won't put my kids in it, so why bother.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

beep-beep car is go posted:

Me too but the wife haaaaaaaaaaaates wagons. It took 10 years of being together for her to accept a hatchback. What I want is a early 70s american wagon, but I won't put my kids in it, so why bother.

My wife haaaaaaaaaaaates wagons, too. So I went and bought a Roadmaster wagon. :D Then, though, I sold the Roadmaster wagon and bought a Volvo XC90. Automotive / marital sanity.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

scuz posted:

Tell that to my wife!

LOL HOOOOOOOOOOOO BOY!

Seriously though, she's the worst.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
My wife loves wagons. I fixed her old Outback's head gasket and she fell madly in love with me. Then we got a better wagon and she married me. She hates pretty much every other car and is stridently anti-manual, but if she doesn't have to drive it she doesn't give a gently caress.
When we get a little more space I'll probably pick up a Miata that will leave her questioning my sexual orientation but for now she graciously allows me two cars, two bikes and a boat.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My wife doesn't like wagons, but she seems to like her CMax well enough. It's like a wagon, but without the cargo capacity!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
My wife isn't a fan of wagons, but she saw a new Jag wagon the other day and told me that she actually thought it looked pretty good. I think she's comin' around!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I want a Tesla Model S Wagon.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Larrymer posted:

Buy your wife whatever the gently caress she wants, and she'll leave you alone about your cars. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyEThSM4JnI&t=20s
Man, that's a good one.

e: I wish I was as happy as that guy

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 26, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rhyno, import a first gen NSX from Canada. They're much less expensive here than they are in the US. (You can find well-maintained ones with 200,000 km or about 120k miles on them for $60k CAD or less).

THAT'S how you look good to the higher ups. Trade in your "that guy has a lot of variously working cars everywhere in our parking lot" for "whoa, that guy has an NSX". And let me live vicariously through you.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

there are so many cars that i want but i will only get in trouble with a fast one that will mostly sit in traffic for 45 minutes on my way to work

all the guys in my office would be wicked jelly though

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Normally I would be down for this but my dad's neighbour is selling his 2014 GMC Sierra four door with 60k miles for $20k (ive never seen these that cheap) or for $15k if I give him my saturn as part of the deal (which is just such a silly good deal that I really should NOT pass it up)

But we just dropped about $10,000 cash on a new hot water heater, furnace, and goodies for turning the laundry room into The Dream Laundry Room so I can understand why she is stressing out about money but god damnnnn

Goddamn that's a deal and 3/4. poo poo. Price that out, show the wife, and perform gratuitous sexual favors on her until she relents. With the Saturn trade-in that approaches "not likely to be found again" levels of a deal.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You know, car insurance companies suck.

Here's the scoop on State Fart:

1) They won't authorize repairs until they write a preliminary estimate. They give 3 options:
Opt 1) Take pictures with a Mobile App which is reviewed by a desk jockey in 2 business days
Opt 2) Take car to drive-in location for review by an estimator. Next appointment is 1 week out
Opt 3) Send estimator to body shop of choice. Next appointment is 2 weeks out.

They have officially told me that the body shop's documentation (pictures, estimate, etc) has no bearing in their preliminary estimate in any of the 3 options.

3a) Once preliminary estimate is complete I can:
Opt 1) Take it to one of 'their' shops (they all suck) and everything is handled by State Fart
Opt 2) Take it to my shop. They pay me directly - not the shop (see 3b/c below)

3b) If I take it to my shop I can get paid via
Opt 1) a check by mail in 2-4 weeks
Opt 2) a direct deposit in 2-4 business days

3c) If I take it to my shop I am responsible for negotiating any differences in cost for the approved damage

4) Supplements are handled by State Farm if I chose their shop, otherwise they pay me for any approved supplements and I get to negotiate any differences. See 3b for payment options.

The good news is my shop is awesome and willing to handle the negotiating with SF if SF will talk to them.

SF's whole process is hosed up

The sucky part is I'm insured with State Fart as well. I'm ditching these fuckers after this experience.

Any suggestions on car insurance in the US that doesn't suck?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Re: spouses and cars

My GF drives a Fit, and seriously wants an Outback. She's ok with my Mustang (even if I haven't let her drive it yet), and is on-board with my motorcycle and trading in the mustang for an F150. She even came out (separately, because sleep) to Thunderhill to watch me on the bike.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Goober Peas posted:

You know, car insurance companies suck.

Here's the scoop on State Fart:

1) They won't authorize repairs until they write a preliminary estimate. They give 3 options:
Opt 1) Take pictures with a Mobile App which is reviewed by a desk jockey in 2 business days
Opt 2) Take car to drive-in location for review by an estimator. Next appointment is 1 week out
Opt 3) Send estimator to body shop of choice. Next appointment is 2 weeks out.

They have officially told me that the body shop's documentation (pictures, estimate, etc) has no bearing in their preliminary estimate in any of the 3 options.

3a) Once preliminary estimate is complete I can:
Opt 1) Take it to one of 'their' shops (they all suck) and everything is handled by State Fart
Opt 2) Take it to my shop. They pay me directly - not the shop (see 3b/c below)

3b) If I take it to my shop I can get paid via
Opt 1) a check by mail in 2-4 weeks
Opt 2) a direct deposit in 2-4 business days

3c) If I take it to my shop I am responsible for negotiating any differences in cost for the approved damage

4) Supplements are handled by State Farm if I chose their shop, otherwise they pay me for any approved supplements and I get to negotiate any differences. See 3b for payment options.

The good news is my shop is awesome and willing to handle the negotiating with SF if SF will talk to them.

The sucky part is I'm insured with State Fart as well. I'm ditching these fuckers after this experience.

Any suggestions on car insurance in the US that doesn't suck?
Here you go buddy:

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=291504620924&&&dispItem=1&chn=ps

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Need a PC version ;)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
To contribute, I use Travelers and am happy with them. I used to use Progressive and never had to make any claims, but when I got the mustang they jacked my prices up way too much. I switched to Travelers, and had to make a claim last month. They sent someone out the next day, decided it was totaled, and I had a check in the next 3 days. Since the other guy also had Travelers I got my deductible back too, so Im not sure how good they are about stuff like that if its a different company.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The original was a little muted so I fixed the levels and curves and poo poo and now it's art. I call it "Long Weekend: Only two idiots came to work today (it was an excuse to go for a drive)"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Siochain posted:

Goddamn that's a deal and 3/4. poo poo. Price that out, show the wife, and perform gratuitous sexual favors on her until she relents. With the Saturn trade-in that approaches "not likely to be found again" levels of a deal.

Yeah I already did. They're usually ringing in for around $26-$35k depending on the spec but I guess he has some dings and scratches in it and doesnt want to pay to get it repainted?

maybe i'll just go buy it and ask for forgiveness later (also she probably wouldnt talk to me for several months so probably not)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Goober Peas posted:

They are the worst. After my car was rear ended and totaled ten years ago I had such an awful experience with them as soon as I got my payout I bailed. I have been with Allstate since. They are more expensive but their service (when needed) has been outstanding. I have had something like 4 or 5 different agents (insurance biz is rough y'all). I have heard horrible experiences with Geico, Progressive, etc. I think we have a megathread on Insurance here in AI usually hovering around the first few pages.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Somewhat Heroic posted:

They are the worst. After my car was rear ended and totaled ten years ago I had such an awful experience with them as soon as I got my payout I bailed. I have been with Allstate since. They are more expensive but their service (when needed) has been outstanding. I have had something like 4 or 5 different agents (insurance biz is rough y'all). I have heard horrible experiences with Geico, Progressive, etc. I think we have a megathread on Insurance here in AI usually hovering around the first few pages.

I loved allstate. The only reason I switched to Geico was because my agent misunderstood me and quoted me for my 2011 F150 Ecoboost AAAAAAAND my 2002 Explorer Sport Trac, when I was replacing one with the other.
Thinking that the price was 2x what my Geico quote was, I switched. It wasn't until I talked to him again after I had switched that the misunderstanding was cleared up.
Oh well, sorry Chris.

The only reason I didn't switch back was because they cancelled my roadside assistance at the same time even though I had paid up-front for a whole 'nother year. When I went to use it to have my wife's car towed home, and couldn't, I was pissed.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
No matter how much you gently caress things up with your S/O and cars, take solace that you probably won't gently caress things up as much as I did. I took her and bought a rusty old POS in the middle of the night with most of my own personal savings, have it die on the highway, was unable to to get it home without using the rest of my savings for a tow, then my girlfriend's Emotional Support Dog got diagnosed with bone cancer the morning we got back, and it was put down that same afternoon

It took 3 months for her to even talk about the car besides, "you need to get rid of that".
She's finally forgiven me, thank God

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah I already did. They're usually ringing in for around $26-$35k depending on the spec but I guess he has some dings and scratches in it and doesnt want to pay to get it repainted?

maybe i'll just go buy it and ask for forgiveness later (also she probably wouldnt talk to me for several months so probably not)

This is some BS, my friend.

So give me this guy's number with the 20k 2014 truck.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BREAKING: A WHIPPED AS gently caress MAN IS AFRAID TO SPEND MONEY ON A FUCKIN WICKED DEAL BECAUSE REASONS

MORE AT 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Although the girlfriend did just get a new ESA, the owner said it's a German shepherd/lab mix, but I'm pretty sure she's just a flatcoated retriever and the person didn't know better.

Besides the tiny eyes and and slightly longer than usual coat, she seems to be all retriever

• Locked thread