Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

It's still pretty damning that the Tories have delayed the resumption of their campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Btw i saw your post the other day, and am mulling over what you said.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Zephro posted:

All pundits: "The terrorist threat today is unprecedented!"

hmmm, the run dates of the benny hill show really brought misery

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is Mark Curtis credible? Because this seems interesting:

https://twitter.com/markcurtis30/status/867412837584523267

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Tim Farron backpedaling on his outrage on Corbyn's speech at an impressive clip

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ronya posted:

this is only true if the government borrows to hold the cake and satiate itself on the ants the cake is attracting, rather than eat the delicious, moist cake.

it's one thing to sketch this on paper, it's another thing to convince people that this is your plan. Labour would last about ten seconds before orgasming over the prospect of getting to use state shareholdership to shape corporate policy, you know this. the Tories will fire sale assets to Sid, or rather, they'll fire sale the cake to their buddies and give Sid the cherry at a low, low price.

of course the public does not trust this government or any plausible British government to have discipline. there are deep reasons why Norway sunk its oil windfall into a sovereign wealth fund whereas Britain sunk it into deficit reduction; these cultural factors still hold sway today - such discipline requires a degree of establishment consensus which does not exist.

Your metaphor here is hard to penetrate but are you suggesting that labour would buy assets to liquidate them for windfall? Or are you trying to say labour having control over public services would involve controlling how they run? Because the last bit seems to be the exact point; the way rail and power is privately run is bad, and people want something different.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Link?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

mfcrocker posted:

Link?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/EveryoneIsDril/status/868091073276424193

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, what everyone else said. You can't tease us with this joy & then fail to deliver proof.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Good lord. This woman has to be self-aware, she has to be thinking "haha idiots believing me", I refuse to believe otherwise

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm not sure what I like more; Corbyn's surprisingly well expressed anti-War on Terror rhetoric or the Tories limp response to it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

*see sex in field* is a very dril quote when taken out of context.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tesseraction posted:

Is Mark Curtis credible? Because this seems interesting:

https://twitter.com/markcurtis30/status/867412837584523267

Well he was 16 the time of Gaddafi's death and didn't go to Libya until 4 years later but sure, why not?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

ronya posted:

this is only true if the government borrows to hold the cake and satiate itself on the ants the cake is attracting, rather than eat the delicious, moist cake.

it's one thing to sketch this on paper, it's another thing to convince people that this is your plan. Labour would last about ten seconds before orgasming over the prospect of getting to use state shareholdership to shape corporate policy, you know this. the Tories will fire sale assets to Sid, or rather, they'll fire sale the cake to their buddies and give Sid the cherry at a low, low price.

of course the public does not trust this government or any plausible British government to have discipline. there are deep reasons why Norway sunk its oil windfall into a sovereign wealth fund whereas Britain sunk it into deficit reduction; these cultural factors still hold sway today - such discipline requires a degree of establishment consensus which does not exist.

you're arguing about policy based on political consensus

to apply to jeremy corbyn

I just want to make this very clear

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Someone on my Facebook just accused Corbyn of lazy politics because there had been no intervention in the middle east by the west before 9/11

:thunk:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tortuga posted:

Well he was 16 the time of Gaddafi's death and didn't go to Libya until 4 years later but sure, why not?

You think that after Gaddafi's death all the anti-Gaddafi militias gave up their weapons and settled down to become peaceful farmers?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Earthworm Tim.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Julio Cruz posted:

You think that after Gaddafi's death all the anti-Gaddafi militias gave up their weapons and settled down to become peaceful farmers?

it's a bad reason to dismiss an idea since it's patently obvious western-backed militias remain, strengthen and rebel (afghanistan being the most blazingly obvious) but the four year gap is a hell of a stretch for british money to come near the guy in all but the abstract

I mean we should definitely want the tories to get beaten with it, but it requires a hell of a lot more evidence than "two things occured at a distance"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tortuga posted:

Julio Cruz posted:

Yeah I was gonna say...

Like, plenty of western attacks have been done by people who were babies when 9/11 happened.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Spangly A posted:

it's a bad reason to dismiss an idea since it's patently obvious western-backed militias remain, strengthen and rebel (afghanistan being the most blazingly obvious) but the four year gap is a hell of a stretch for british money to come near the guy in all but the abstract

I mean we should definitely want the tories to get beaten with it, but it requires a hell of a lot more evidence than "two things occured at a distance"

That's certainly true - if it has a parallel it'd be the US cheerleading the Mujihadeen only to watch with horror at what happened to Afghanistan over the course of the 90s.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
A thought. We were all surprised that the Dementia Tax didn't seem to hurt over-65s support of Tories, but in the most pragmatic of terms, it'll never hurt them. Who it's going to hurt is their 30something kids who still can't afford to buy their own house and were basically waiting to inherit their mum and dad's place - and these seem to be the people who are swinging Corbyn-ward.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Someone on my Facebook just accused Corbyn of lazy politics because there had been no intervention in the middle east by the west before 9/11

:thunk:

Just scream in their face Treaty of Sèvres over & over, somehow. Record you doing that and post it on Youtube and link it to their Facebook? I'd say also mention Aden, Bahrain, Palestine, Iraq, & y'know centuries of relations in Egypt & with the Ottoman Empire but gently caress is the point?

In other news, Theresa May is speaking to the press from the G7. According to the Guardian in the first 2 questions she has said Corbyn is blaming Britain for the attack in Manchester, said she offers "strong & stable leadership" & that Corbyn only offers a "coalition of chaos".

So some things never change I guess

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 26, 2017

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

Good lord. This woman has to be self-aware, she has to be thinking "haha idiots believing me", I refuse to believe otherwise

I thought that but someone posted this on a different forum.

quote:

I heard a radio interview with an Irish journalist who met her while doing a piece on her, and it would appear she's an even more vile piece of poo poo in person, hard as that might be to believe.

quote:

From what this lady was saying Hopkins was racist and offensive in an almost casual fashion from the moment she met her, long before the formal interview was to start. I sounded like it took every ounce of self restraint to stop the journalist from choking her within minutes of meeting

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Julio Cruz posted:

Well yeah that's how it works isn't it? We get rid of the regime and everything is fine. Just like in Afghanistan and Iraq!

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
If the hope was getting too much this should offer the sweet release of despair.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2017/05/ashcroft-model-update-estimated-vote-shares-seat-new-potential-majorities/

deletebeepbeepbeep fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 26, 2017

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A thought. We were all surprised that the Dementia Tax didn't seem to hurt over-65s support of Tories, but in the most pragmatic of terms, it'll never hurt them. Who it's going to hurt is their 30something kids who still can't afford to buy their own house and were basically waiting to inherit their mum and dad's place - and these seem to be the people who are swinging Corbyn-ward.

I thought that polling showed a double-digit swing to Labour amongst olds, it just still had them majority Tory because old people are garbage

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I thought that polling showed a double-digit swing to Labour amongst olds, it just still had them majority Tory because old people are garbage

That was the 54-65 demo or something like that. The over 65s are unmoved by anything apparently.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Saying that Corbyn's argument diminishes the responsibility of the terrorists is absurd. Responsibility/blame are not a zero sum game.

For example if I give a gun to someone who I know is dangerous and they go on to kill 10 people with it I deserve some blame for enabling them, and should not have done so. That doesn't detract from their blame for actually committing the murders.

Similarly if through a series of poorly planned invasions I create a power vacuum that leads to the rise of a deadly extremist group some responsibility is on me and I should not have done it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oof. Right in the gut.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Saying that Corbyn's argument diminishes the responsibility of the terrorists is absurd. Responsibility/blame are not a zero sum game.

For example if I give a gun to someone who I know is dangerous and they go on to kill 10 people with it I deserve some blame for enabling them, and should not have done so. That doesn't detract from their blame for actually committing the murders.

Similarly if through a series of poorly planned invasions I create a power vacuum that leads to the rise of a deadly extremist group some responsibility is on me and I should not have done it.

Actually saying this is in effect blaming the people who died on Monday personally.

Have another quote from The Guardian's coverage of the PM's press conference

"May is asked about 400 people who went to fight abroad returning to the UK while she was home secretary. She is asked if she was thwarted by David Cameron or if she dropped the ball.

May says she excluded more hate preachers from the United Kingdom than any home secretary before and that the issue is managed “on a case-by-case basis”."

Which sure seems like not answering the question to me but I'm not as smart as our journalists.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

That was the 54-65 demo or something like that. The over 65s are unmoved by anything apparently.

loving old croakers. Remind me to go fart in some nursing homes.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm sure they didn't. Maybe I'm just reading that random guy's tweet differently.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

They come from an era of lead pipes, lead paint and lead food. They're loving gone. Even the ones that seem still with it are just faking it. Something unearthly inhabits the void where the light of their being used to be.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spangly A posted:

I'm not saying he was directly paid by MI6 but if he was trained and/or equipped by a militia which was founded with British money then there's definitely some culpability there.

e: funding a militia with the express purpose of getting rid of Gadaffi and not thinking about what that militia might do once Gadaffi is gone is pretty clearly lacking in foresight.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 26, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

I take it that it went well then? I've been at work all day.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

loving Andy Burnham has come out to criticise Corbyn in the stupidest way possible.

Andy Burnham posted:

[There's] a tendency to blame governments for everything, and I don't think we should. Actions of governments can contribute, but let's remember 9/11 happened before interventions anywhere.

You heard that right, there was no such thing as western intervention before 2001.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I take it that it went well then? I've been at work all day.

The motherfucker never came back and posted the link. What a complete GOOBER.

jabby posted:

loving Andy Burnham has come out to criticise Corbyn in the stupidest way possible.

You heard that right, there was no such thing as western intervention before 2001.

The bigger question is: Why the gently caress are they not waiting till the election is over to start sticking the knife in? Do they want to win? What the gently caress do they think they're doing? Is it going to turn out that they don't actually know that Corbyn is doing well in the polls? I can imagine a lot goes past them in their bubble.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm not saying he was directly paid by MI6 but if he was trained and/or equipped by a militia which was founded with British money then there's definitely some culpability there.

e: funding a militia with the express purpose of getting rid of Gadaffi and not thinking about what that militia might do once Gadaffi is gone is pretty clearly lacking in foresight.

Geopolitics is almost always hilariously shortsighted.

• Locked thread