Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Zil posted:

AnalTech? Who thought that was a good idea?

However, the spokesperson admitted that "AnalTech faces certain challenges because of the 'juvenile' humor that has developed in the past few decades and current web filters that may block the company name" and has considered rebranding as a result.

That whole article was a laugh riot. Its like a Onion article back when it was still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

FCKGW posted:

wtf why are they moving it did they think the area was haunted or something?

People kept asking about the bloodstains, and it was easier to just move the ride to cover them than keep making up stories about Hawaiian Punch vomit or brown paint or whatever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nocheez posted:

lol at the idea of carneys attending school.

For all the poo poo carneys get, I'm kinda surprised at just how safe carnival rides seem to be.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

PittTheElder posted:

For all the poo poo carneys get, I'm kinda surprised at just how safe carnival rides seem to be.

Really? Every time I get on one I'm legit terrified that I'm moments away from a horrific death.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Theophany posted:

Really? Every time I get on one I'm legit terrified that I'm moments away from a horrific death.

That's part of the fun! A lot of rollercoasters (specifically wooden) are made in a way that, not only are you afraid of the speed/heights, will instill fear that it could fall apart at any moment. I don't know if the carnival rides are created with that thought in mind or not.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Theophany posted:

Dat's jus' cause yo mama raise a pussified son.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is also true.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64qKgpE9B0c

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I've never heard of a gravitron murking someone. Are you sure you're not thinking of a sizzler? Example.

http://articles.courant.com/1999-08-22/news/9908220025_1_richard-bisi-ride-attendant

Edit: I may be thinking of another incident, the article calls it a tornado, which is not the whirring implement of death I remember.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 25, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was at an amusement park when some dude got run over by one of those mini-coasters that just go around and around an inverted loop. Didn't see that actual strike, but I was still only about 30 feet away at the time, and the aftermath was pretty brutal.

Maybe amusement parts should stop hiring bored, poorly trained teens to operate their rides.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MF_James posted:

That's part of the fun! A lot of rollercoasters (specifically wooden) are made in a way that, not only are you afraid of the speed/heights, will instill fear that it could fall apart at any moment. I don't know if the carnival rides are created with that thought in mind or not.

Probably not when they were built, 50 years ago.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Theophany posted:

That's the idea, right? Isn't that what makes amusement park rides thrilling?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Theophany posted:

I mean in a statistical sort of way. The process around them seems sketchy as gently caress, but it's real rare to hear about serious failures.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
ok.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Haha realy no fake?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Volcott posted:

I've never heard of a gravitron murking someone. Are you sure you're not thinking of a sizzler? Example.

http://articles.courant.com/1999-08-22/news/9908220025_1_richard-bisi-ride-attendant

Edit: I may be thinking of another incident, the article calls it a tornado, which is not the whirring implement of death I remember.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2000-07-20/news/0007200374_1_coaster-ride-six-flags-great-america

Cajun cliffhanger, that thing got moved to multiple different six flag, it might finally have been totally removed, but if I recall correctly the chicago six flags got it from another one after it had malfunctioned similarly and hurt people.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I remember one summer when this daredevil of a kid got decapitated on a ride called the Mixer. They found his head over by the snocone concession.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
http://i.imgur.com/Ab4ibtG.gifv

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm the hair stuck in the grout and the tablesaw

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MF_James posted:

they use plenty of 2x4s to stabilize one side of the ride

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FCKGW posted:

It's just physics my man

The other ride is a far more dangerous proposition to do it in as it has a pretty strong vertical component.

As with the ride you pictured; no poo poo.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

a kitten posted:

I remember one summer when this daredevil of a kid got decapitated on a ride called the Mixer. They found his head over by the snocone concession.

Wasn't that Bill Jr? If so, then you're right, he was a daredevil, just like his old man.

Now let me tell you about what the queers are doing to the soil...

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

MF_James posted:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2000-07-20/news/0007200374_1_coaster-ride-six-flags-great-america

Cajun cliffhanger, that thing got moved to multiple different six flag, it might finally have been totally removed, but if I recall correctly the chicago six flags got it from another one after it had malfunctioned similarly and hurt people.

Would it surprise you to know Dan Snyder owned Six Flags back then?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

What's he running away from?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GotLag posted:

What's he running away from?

Antlions

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
He just needs to find a wooden pallet to stand on and he'll be fine.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Zesty posted:

That's the idea, right? Isn't that what makes amusement park rides thrilling?

Oh sure for most folks, but for me the feeling of not being in control gives me major anxiety. I'm a bad car passenger at the best of times but put me on a track in a 500bhp sports car and I'm fearless.*

Legit the most scared I've ever been was when I rode this drop tower, which at the time was the tallest in Europe. I only went on it because I'd had a few beers and was trying to sex the girl I was with. I could feel myself sobering up as we ascended and to this day I am astounded by the fact I did not void my bowels.

*to the point where I run out of talent and am no longer in control.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Please don't use sex as a verb. I would actually respect you more if you called it Mommy Daddy Sheet Monster Time.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Please don't use sex as a verb.

It is a verb. He meant he was simply trying to determine their gender. :haw:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
IT'S PAT!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Is this a FF2/FF4 reference? :golfclap:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nocheez posted:

Is this a FF2/FF4 reference? :golfclap:

Half-Life

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

Half-Life

This is what I was thinking of. The pit in the middle is where the Antlion was.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Memento posted:

Half-Life

SimAnt

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Theophany posted:

I only went on it because I'd had a few beers and was trying to sex the girl I was with.

Don't leave us hanging like a terrifying drop ride. Did you successfully sex her or not?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well he figured out she was female so the answer is yes.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Or at least adopt the contemporary "do sex on her"

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
In the UK, there's 2 kinds of fairgrounds/carnivals. The first is ones in a set location that'll always be there, like Pleasurewood Hills or Alton Towers.

Then there's these fuckers.

They'll roll up for an event one weekend, then afterwards they'll all be gone within an hour. I trust em as much as you would if they dealt with second hand cars.

[edit] They're probably very nice people that dedicate many hours to regular safety and maintenance.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bacon Taco posted:

Don't leave us hanging like a terrifying drop ride. Did you successfully sex her or not?

No, which turned out in my favour ultimately. She was involved with some bad hombres and I was a nerdy white boy.