Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Just a heads up that Amell totally killed it on American Ninja Warrior, and even did something a little extra for a little more money to charity. It was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crap I forgot to DVR that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He did way better than you'd expect a celebrity to do in these things but compared to people that do it it regularly it looked like he was in slow motion most of the time, but that's to be expected since he's never done it before.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

mcbexx posted:

Although in shows like this, it's pretty much always a literal dead man's switch, linked to a heart rate monitor or something similar. Not some button he holds down that he would let go when losing consciousness.

Also, Chase might correctly assume that Oliver would not kill him due to WHAT HE HAS BECOME NOW, but Olli might very well knock him the gently caress out during a brawl - which would have messed with his grand scheme.

Also Digg or Rene might shoot him because they don't give a gently caress.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NBC just posted his run if you want to watch.

https://www.facebook.com/nbc/videos/10155363602595746/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He crushed that. I just grinned the entire time because he was clearly have a loving blast.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was unfortunate they didn't show all of Ashton Eaton's run because what they did show he looked like a pro that's been running the course for years. Of course he's probably one of the best athletes on the planet right now so that doesn't hurt.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 26, 2017

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Haha, goddamn it's hard not to like Amell.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cran posted:

Haha, goddamn it's hard not to like Amell.

Need a link to that facebook post where during shooting in the Vancouver woods he ran into a family with small kids and took the time to take photos with them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He is the such a nice man.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
His wine is pretty good too!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

X-O posted:

NBC just posted his run if you want to watch.

https://www.facebook.com/nbc/videos/10155363602595746/

Man, Amell is so cool :allears:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

What the gently caress is red nose day.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some BBC(?) charity event thinger NBC brought over

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nooneofconsequence posted:

What the gently caress is red nose day.

Kids charity thing started by Richard Curtis and Lenny Henry. It's been a thing since i was 10.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't understand how the battering ram obstacle works. Shouldn't it slide back as well due to physics?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe if your technique is wrong, it's about jumping as you move forward to prevent the friction.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey thread,

Thanks for telling me that this season was worth catching up with.

Really damned satisfying season. And while the finale felt a bit checkboxey and had some seriously iffy choreography (the Talia/Nyssa fight is a mess), it ably attempted to tie together five years worth of story.

The show's rules regarding killing still don't make any sense whatsoever - with Oliver spending this season killing henchmen but then yelling IM NOT A KILLER at Chase all year.

I know they didn't show the body so he's still alive, but I hope that's the last we see of Malcolm Merlyn. The show really overused him in season 3 and 4 as he repeatedly did heinous things but had magical plot armor keeping him alive.

His arc on Legends also fits neatly into his sacrifice, even if they're not directly related. (Or Are They?! I dunno, I'm binging Legends as I type).

Damned fine season. The cliffhanger reeks of schmuck bait, as there's no way they're going to decimate all or probably any of the main cast.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It really pisses me off that Amell gets to be super handsome, famous, in amazing shape, and also seems like a really great person. I'd feel a lot better about the world and my place in it if he was an enormous prick or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He is a Kings fan.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phenotype posted:

It really pisses me off that Amell gets to be super handsome, famous, in amazing shape, and also seems like a really great person. I'd feel a lot better about the world and my place in it if he was an enormous prick or something.

I really hope Blue Devil gets introduced to the DCCW as a pastiche of Stephen Amell.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

And while the finale felt a bit checkboxey and had some seriously iffy choreography (the Talia/Nyssa fight is a mess)

Should just have used this instead

https://twitter.com/katrinalaw/status/867562228899233793

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
The only flaw with Stephen's Ninja Warrior run was that he did the salmon ladder with his shirt on.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Insurance doesn't cover mums sliding off the seats.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FELD1 posted:

The only flaw with Stephen's Ninja Warrior run was that he did the salmon ladder with his shirt on.

Did you see how many women were present?

Everyone would have died in the flood.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Phenotype posted:

There's a really great podcast interview he did with Aisha Tyler that talked about this. Amell is really honest about how he started his career as a massive entitled prick, and gradually matured into the Good Dude he is today.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think we can all agree that the character that died was Amell's flashback wig. I hope they just start showing clips from season 1 next season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bamhand posted:

I think we can all agree that the character that died was Amell's flashback wig. I hope they just start showing clips from season 1 next season.

Did we ever find out why Mad Dog was dishonorably discharged? I might've missed that part of an episode.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

Did we ever find out why Mad Dog was dishonorably discharged? I might've missed that part of an episode.

says on the wiki "Prior to becoming a vigilante, Rene was a Navy SEALs officer. He was part of a group transporting a prisoner with valuable information, intelligence couldn't get the information out of him so Rene took matters into his own hands and tried to beat the information out of him, leading to Rene being dishonorably discharged"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

says on the wiki "Prior to becoming a vigilante, Rene was a Navy SEALs officer. He was part of a group transporting a prisoner with valuable information, intelligence couldn't get the information out of him so Rene took matters into his own hands and tried to beat the information out of him, leading to Rene being dishonorably discharged"

I'm sure we might get a flashback to that then.

There's just not a lot in the current cast's backstory that needs to be explored afaict. That one might be worth looking at and maybe Dinah's time on the force. Also, possibly a young Felicity flashback (and maybe at least one with her dad before he left her). Unless they tie into a villain or something, though, I don't see flashbacks being as big a thing anymore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would be too similar to Prometheus to do now, but I think it would have been cool if they did a villain who had a long history with Oliver and/or the Arrow and we got flashbacks for him instead.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's a really great podcast interview he did with Aisha Tyler that talked about this. Amell is really honest about how he started his career as a massive entitled prick, and gradually matured into the Good Dude he is today.

And his wife isn't nearly as hot as I'd thought she would be -- I don't say that to sound misogynistic, but it means he probably didn't just grab the hottest chick he could find, but had the maturity and integrity to find someone and develop a deep connection that goes far beyond surface beauty.

gently caress that guy.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Phenotype posted:

And his wife isn't nearly as hot as I'd thought she would be -- I don't say that to sound misogynistic, but it means he probably didn't just grab the hottest chick he could find, but had the maturity and integrity to find someone and develop a deep connection that goes far beyond surface beauty.

gently caress that guy.

Well she is a model and actress but they seem to have a great and honest relationship.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His wife is bonkers hot.

What scale are you using to measure this?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm surprised they've never had her on the show.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

His wife is bonkers hot.

What scale are you using to measure this?

Just from the quick shot of her in the crowd at Ninja Warrior. I dunno, even googling her now, I'm not saying she's isn't a beautiful woman, but she doesn't look model or movie star gorgeous and I imagine Amell could date an endless stream of perfect 10s if he was that kind of guy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

e: post is not edit
I think this was on an episode of Curb your Enthusiasm.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Phenotype posted:

gently caress that guy.

Phenotype posted:

Just from the quick shot of her in the crowd at Ninja Warrior. I dunno, even googling her now, I'm not saying she's isn't a beautiful woman, but she doesn't look model or movie star gorgeous and I imagine Amell could date an endless stream of perfect 10s if he was that kind of guy.

:psyduck:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm sure we might get a flashback to that then.

I doubt it, we already got him talking about it and there really isn't that much more to it.

bamhand posted:

My favorite part of the finale was him putting on a loving wig over his wig and then also a fake beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

muscles like this! posted:

My favorite part of the finale was him putting on a loving wig over his wig and then also a fake beard.

apart from Slade Wilson, this is hands down the best thing the show's ever done

• Locked thread