Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

precision posted:

This season is about information and communication and how they create reality rather than represent it. Varga is an unrestricted Internet/global economy personified. There are other themes but that seems to me to be the big one.

e: like, even to the point where his plan for getting them rich is to buy literal empty lots and he says out loud "I might as well not exist"

Every episode (and often numerous scenes within an episode) has had someone using a word and someone else misunderstanding it and requiring clarification

edit: Which ties into the alien glyphs in season 2 as a constructed language to prevent miscommunication, the cause of all problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
Not story related, but if you get beaten up like that and have bruises like that especially in those places do _not_ take Aspirin. Not even a little bit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

dogboy posted:

Not story related, but if you get beaten up like that and have bruises like that especially in those places do _not_ take Aspirin. Not even a little bit.

Thins the build making it more difficult to clot, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nikki is actually dead, that's why she was lying in cold water, to keep from decomposing. Aspirin was to keep her blood from clotting shut.

I'm not sure I'm kidding.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Thins the build making it more difficult to clot, right?

Yeah while Aspirin is only a mild pain suppressor it is a decent anticoagulant. While that is helpful around any issues like beeing at risk of a stroke or related stuff, it can be quite dangerous around issues like internal bleedings etc.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Why did Nikki not want to go to the hospital? I think she said that the police(?) are looking for her, but I can't remember really why....? Was it about a violation of her parole?

But in any case... she should definitely seek some kind of medical help. I don't know, from some private doctor or something. Does she expect to self-heal by keeping her wounds cool and sleeping it off?

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Unzip and Attack posted:

Have to admit I'm becoming a little disappointed with this season overall. Ep 1 was stellar, probably the best of the season openers but I just don't find the story all that compelling. The characters are solid, the writing is very good, I don't know, the whole plot just kinda feels uninspired.

And maybe I'm the only one but I thought Ray being killed by the stamp was extremely hamfisted. I know Fargo is a quirky show where the unlikely happens but it felt forced and a little too far, even for this show.

Funnily enough I think I'm the opposite of you. Ep1 didn't grab me. The first one I REALLY liked was Ep3, and I'd been worried that would be too standalone. I kinda started to come around at 4 but I think it took Ep6 to really sell me.

That's not to say episodes 1-5 weren't great or anything. I think they kinda sneakily got me invested; I didn't think I was connecting to the characters at all. But then when Ray died I felt truly sad, and when Gloria didn't back down to gross Lupin I felt very triumphant. I realized that the show managed to invest me without my realizing it, if that makes sense.

This is the opposite of s1 and especially s2 where I was pretty much 100% into it by the end of ep1, but it doesn't mean it's worse tv in my opinion; I think they were just willing to be slower and riskier this season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am gonna look so awesome when zombie Nikki eats Varga's brains

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Gloria is so hawt

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

AbstractNapper posted:

Why did Nikki not want to go to the hospital? I think she said that the police(?) are looking for her, but I can't remember really why....? Was it about a violation of her parole?

She's probably skipping parole now. Doesn't look like she even bothered with stuff anymore, after Ray got fired.

Maybe the whole Maurice story is also catching up with her. She gave a fake name, but the landlord might still have e given them a description.

quote:

But in any case... she should definitely seek some kind of medical help. I don't know, from some private doctor or something. Does she expect to self-heal by keeping her wounds cool and sleeping it off?

If she has not internal bleeding and damaged organs, she'll be fine. That's what she's probably hoping for.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

If she has not internal bleeding and damaged organs, she'll be fine. That's what she's probably hoping for.
Hell, even then, a lot of internal injuries just undergo watchful waiting anyway. It's not like everyone with a liver lac or splenic rupture died before modern surgery. But it would sure hurt like hell.

I heard of but thankfully was not involved in a case where a midlevel provider sent someone home after missing a goddamned tension pneumothorax on a plain film. Admin on call tried frantically to get a hold of the guy and couldn't. Months later he shows up for something unrelated, says that he was short of breath for a while but got better.

Repeat film with complete resolution.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

And maybe I'm the only one but I thought Ray being killed by the stamp was extremely hamfisted. I know Fargo is a quirky show where the unlikely happens but it felt forced and a little too far, even for this show.

I will never feel that way about this show since season 1 where a guy was killed by raining fish

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

So It Goes posted:

I will never feel that way about this show since season 1 where a guy was killed by raining fish

Two guys.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to agree. This season is not up to S1 or S2.

That's not to say it's bad. There are very few shows that require or receive 100% of my attention or stand up to repeated viewers. It's good, but it's no Sioux Falls.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you haven't watched Legion it's the show that the people who actually made Fargo great have been focusing their creative efforts on since S2 ended and it's an amazing season of television, you should totally catch up on it if this season of Fargo is feeling lacking.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR_RsTGsuXc

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yo dig this. it's fargo and it's an old story

"the corvette and the stamp"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xhWWdGm8fE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Guy Mann posted:

If you haven't watched Legion it's the show that the people who actually made Fargo great have been focusing their creative efforts on since S2 ended and it's an amazing season of television, you should totally catch up on it if this season of Fargo is feeling lacking.

I'm still really enjoying this season of Fargo but seconding the recommendation of Legion, it's a great show.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm halfway through Legion. I recorded it on the TiVo and just haven't gotten around to finishing.

It's alright. Seems very similar to season 3 of Fargo in it's pacing. I'm not sure that's a good thing. Maybe it'll pick up.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

precision posted:

Nikki is actually dead, that's why she was lying in cold water, to keep from decomposing. Aspirin was to keep her blood from clotting shut.

I'm not sure I'm kidding.

Ah, I see you've been watching American Gods as well.

Thank you to whoever mentioned that IRS guy was Division 5 guy from Legion, I couldn't quite figure it out.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

KoRMaK posted:

lol shouldn't have hosed wiht someone who has the high ground. a classic and ancient mistake

I get this joke and I appreciate it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yo dig this. it's fargo and it's an old story

"the corvette and the stamp"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xhWWdGm8fE

What?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nice double reference to the original film.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Enmitt is a master criminal.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Every season of this show has had a disrespected/underappreciated cop, hasn't it? I know at least two of the three have had a bumbling couple in which at least one dies.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Every season of this show has had a disrespected/underappreciated cop, hasn't it? I know at least two of the three have had a bumbling couple in which at least one dies.

They all have pretty much the same set of character types.

Also lol Sy

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's probably because I've split my interest this season between Fargo and the NHL on Wednesdays, but I'm so lost when it comes to Gloria and the Eden Valley PD. She's the Chief of Eden Valley PD, but also has a new chief to report to or something and, even though the St. Cloud cop has no jurisdiction, he'll either "send her home to grieve and Merry Christmas with the family or start her finding a new job".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Was that Lester? Isn't he dead?

EDIT: oh it was DJ Qualls, not Martin Freeman

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 1, 2017

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's probably because I've split my interest this season between Fargo and the NHL on Wednesdays, but I'm so lost when it comes to Gloria and the Eden Valley PD. She's the Chief of Eden Valley PD, but also has a new chief to report to or something and, even though the St. Cloud cop has no jurisdiction, he'll either "send her home to grieve and Merry Christmas with the family or start her finding a new job".

Her podunk department is being absorbed. It remains to be seen whether the transition will be a smooth one(it will not).

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
YES! MR. NUMBERS

Edit: doh, Mr Wrench!

Probably Infected fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 1, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Oh that guy. Cool

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Mr. Wrench outta fuckin' nowhere.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Wasn't Mr. Wrench deaf in season 1?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Uh oh. I've been enjoying the season so far, but I think this episode may have crossed the line into my personal least favorite trope: the omnipotent antagonist.

Villains with unlimited resources and knowledge tend to just torpedo my interest in a show or movie. Break into a police station and scare away an officer by doing nothing? Infiltrate another police station to nearly murder an inmate? Have the first guy somehow magically know the attempt had failed and get to exactly the right spot to intercept a prisoner transfer bus - in a different city, presumably within an hour or two?

It would be so much better if we could see their methodology and/or challenges, like we did with Malvo in S1 and... well... everyone in S2.

I'm sure that since this is Fargo, Varga and company will probably get theirs in the end (most likely in a horrific way), but I feel like building them up to be (at least temporarily) all-powerful has made them much less compelling than the previous seasons' antagonists.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Malvo was pretty unstoppable up until the bear trap.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Good enough episode, but really could do without the level of convenient ease which the bad guys are able to coordinate everything. Began to make me roll my eyes akin to watching Negan on twd.

edit: gently caress, beaten

WhiteHowler posted:

Uh oh. I've been enjoying the season so far, but I think this episode may have crossed the line into my personal least favorite trope: the omnipotent antagonist.

Villains with unlimited resources and knowledge tend to just torpedo my interest in a show or movie. Break into a police station and scare away an officer by doing nothing? Infiltrate another police station to nearly murder an inmate? Have the first guy somehow magically know the attempt had failed and get to exactly the right spot to intercept a prisoner transfer bus - in a different city, presumably within an hour or two?

It would be so much better if we could see their methodology and/or challenges, like we did with Malvo in S1 and... well... everyone in S2.

I'm sure that since this is Fargo, Varga and company will probably get theirs in the end (most likely in a horrific way), but I feel like building them up to be (at least temporarily) all-powerful has made them much less compelling than the previous seasons' antagonists.

You forgot the russian conveniently had a (loving bettery powered?) angle grinder to get through the bus interior.

The long and drawn out shot of the bus ride removed all suprise from the end.

I take back what I posted earlier. It was a groan worthy episode. I mean it even lessened Gloria for me when ninja lester manages to disarm her when she had him dead to rights.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 1, 2017

NetflixAndRichHill
May 11, 2017
Please save Nikki Mr. Wrench :(

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

uber_stoat posted:

Malvo was pretty unstoppable up until the bear trap.
I guess so, but at least we saw how Malvo was doing everything. He seemed fallible in a way that Varga and his goons don't so far (other than dental hygiene).

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

NetflixAndRichHill posted:

Please save Nikki Mr. Wrench :(

I should probably watch the first two seasons. I suspected he was more than just a random guy sitting next to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ehud posted:

Wasn't Mr. Wrench deaf in season 1?

Nothing about this appearance suggested he isn't.

• Locked thread