Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

JesusSinfulHands posted:

That's an easy way to alienate people and lose jury votes

Yeah like the way she did it seemed to work fine, because she won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The new discussion format for the final tribal council helped with that, by letting jurors like Michaela come to her defense and point out the others' hypocrisy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

obliriovrons posted:

Yeah like the way she did it seemed to work fine, because she won

No, clearly she should have done it a different way.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

less laughter posted:

The new discussion format for the final tribal council helped with that, by letting jurors like Michaela come to her defense and point out the others' hypocrisy.

Yeah, I really liked the format for the discussion. The split into outplay, outwit, outlast is a little nebulous but just allowing for a discussion rather than straight up q&a works much better and is way more interesting to watch.

And I love Michaela. She's a really good loser, which is so good to see on Survivor, when so many people end up really bitter about being voted out. She genuinely appreciated the irony in being voted out with an advantage meant for her to find.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Gluten Freeman posted:

And I love Michaela. She's a really good loser, which is so good to see on Survivor, when so many people end up really bitter about being voted out. She genuinely appreciated the irony in being voted out with an advantage meant for her to find.

Agreed. It's too bad she went right back in for season 2 and didn't get to see her first round play out on TV.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

the truth posted:

Agreed. It's too bad she went right back in for season 2 and didn't get to see her first round play out on TV.

Yeah, totally. She's said something in an interview along the longs of not wanting to do another run at it until she's "35 and has a couple kids and figured out life a bit" which is a good perspective, and I hope it comes true.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, finally got around to watching after my DVR decided not to record the Reunion which sucked because the drat show went long so my recording cut off before the vote.

Thank God Sarah won and Brad didn't. Sarah won't go down as some amazing winning but she played a drat good game start to finish and deserved it. And like... I get the jury feeling "gross" about the way she played. Andrea played the entire game all emotionally so its no surprise she felt betrayed by Sarah, and Sierra really did get done wrong by Sarah (even if its on Sierra for telling her). So Sarah definitely got her share of blood on her hands and set up some chips for a bitter jury. In the end she either had good enough relationships to get past it or was able to sell her game over it. So that's how you win.

I think its amazing that after a full season of Brad, the Survivor Producers and Editors, Mario Lanza, Rob C, Stephan Fishbauch, and really the Survivor fanbase at large working really hard to rehab his image Culpepper decided to just blow it the gently caress up and confirm every negative opinion about him in the season finale. Bravo, Brad. That's the way to cement your place in Survivor lore as a villain.

Its a tragedy the way Cirie went out but in honesty her game was blown up when that vote steal exploded and she was a long stage at that point anyway. I'm glad she got the big tribute that Sandra and Ozzy got. In a weird way Game Changer might end up being remembered for overdoing the twists, saying goodbye to some legends, and actually changing the way the Final Tribal game works. Don't bring her back because she'll never be able to win and will just hurt her legacy. Just get her kid on.

LOL, Troyzan.

Tai's a terrible player and a frustrating mess but I sympathize for the guy for that F6 position he was in. He was just in the middle of a perfect storm of Sarah feeling personally offended and strategically lost with all the F7 craziness, Cirie desperately trying to throw Tai under the bus to save her own rear end, and Culpepper just randomly deciding he was King and Tai was the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world. Even if Tai wasn't an emotional and strategic wreck that would have been a losing position. And then after Idol-geddon he just had no real options.

New Tribal is awesome. The structure was a little forced but I don't blame them for a first try and trying to figure out how to format it. In the end it became an open discussion and that was perfect. Way more constructive than the old way where you just hope enough people have good questions in their one shot.

gently caress Varner. He can't seem to apologize without being self serving.

Debbie has an uncanny ability to start a statement and seem to be going one way and then to just somehow end up with the exact opposite conclusion then I expected at the end.

For some reason it cracked me up that Andrea appeared to pack a different fancy dress for every Tribal.

Aubry has some awesome subtle Jury reactions. Its really small but she has absolutely zero ability to contain it when she thinks the person talking is full of poo poo. I noticed it when Ozzy was pontificating on what a bad rear end he was and when Brad was giving his "I'm not a bully" apology. I became a fan late.

In conclusion, gently caress Brad Culpepper.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Gluten Freeman posted:

Yeah, totally. She's said something in an interview along the longs of not wanting to do another run at it until she's "35 and has a couple kids and figured out life a bit" which is a good perspective, and I hope it comes true.

Ok, I didn't want Michaela to return ever but I could get behind something like that.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Season was pretty good but the end was a letdown even though Sarah is a good winner

gently caress Jeff Varner forever

Next season looks promising imo

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
For me the "let down" started before the merge, when the big players and personalities were picked off because they couldn't work with each other. But overall it was entertaining. And even though next season's title is not great it will be nice to have all new players.

Gluten Freeman posted:

Yeah, I really liked the format for the discussion. The split into outplay, outwit, outlast is a little nebulous but just allowing for a discussion rather than straight up q&a works much better and is way more interesting to watch.

Yes I'd like to see Michaela return in a few years too.
Troyzan was also a good sport. In his exit interview he said that at FTC, "For the first 30 minutes no one even asked me a question so I knew I had no chance. Realizing that, I addressed each jury member and described a 1-on-1 moment or conversation we had, to let them know I appreciated the experience".
On tv we only saw the last line when he thanked them all as a group.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

It's always fun to compare how the cast looks on and off the island. This time my list of people who look clearly better on a deserted island than with full studio make-up and grooming:
Brad, Andrea, Cirie, Ozzy
And kind of better:
Aubry, Sierra, (Tai?)

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 27, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

pokeyman posted:

Cirie is equally fatally flawed as Russell Hantz. There is no conceivable scenario where either of them wins.

She probably would have won Fans vs. Favorites if there wasn't a surprise F2, right?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xbilkis posted:

She probably would have won Fans vs. Favorites if there wasn't a surprise F2, right?

I don't remember FvF at all (though I did watch it) so that's entirely possible. I was more trying (and failing) to be inflammatory.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A game that gets you to final 4 with a high chance of getting cut, but a high chance of winning if you survive, is still a pretty good game, because as we've seen, people gently caress up at final 4 and cut the wrong person.

Like, this season is one of two in the last 10 with an unambiguous F4/F3 fuckup (with Woo picking Tony over Kass)? Those odds don't suck, and if anyone can talk someone into making a bad F4 choice it's Cirie.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 27, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

blue squares posted:

thanks jeff varner for the latest update on your utter scuminess

aidoru posted:

Let me monetize that time I tried to ruin someone's life.

Brock Samson posted:

Lol sell your book you loving prickbag

Yeah, I was feeling okay about the reunion, even though they revisited the outing moment at all....and then this happened. Is he really that loving clueless?

Zeke should have been immediately awarded the million form not kneeling on Varner's throat and tearing out his heart.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pinterest Mom posted:

Like, this season is one of two in the last 10 with an unambiguous F4/F3 fuckup (with Woo picking Tony over Kass)? Those odds don't suck, and if anyone can talk someone into making a bad F4 choice it's Cirie.

Jaclyn and Missy taking Natalie over Keith was also really dumb though that was partly due to Natalie's great endgame.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I was feeling okay about the reunion, even though they revisited the outing moment at all....and then this happened. Is he really that loving clueless?

Zeke should have been immediately awarded the million form not kneeling on Varner's throat and tearing out his heart.

Where's Sia to give a humanitarian award when we needed her?

Rarity posted:

Jaclyn and Missy taking Natalie over Keith was also really dumb though that was partly due to Natalie's great endgame.

They were hosed either way. The jury was all men aside from Baylor (and Natalie if they vote her out) and they adored Keith.

The only votes Jaclyn and Missy got was from their loved ones, and Jaclyn got Reed's spite-vote to ensure Missy didn't tie for 2nd.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Binary Logic posted:

Troyzan was also a good sport. In his exit interview he said that at FTC, "For the first 30 minutes no one even asked me a question so I knew I had no chance. Realizing that, I addressed each jury member and described a 1-on-1 moment or conversation we had, to let them know I appreciated the experience".
On tv we only saw the last line when he thanked them all as a group.

yeah as much of a dud player he was he seemed like a cool enough guy. i like those moments in the show where people just seem to be having fun even if they're in a bad position. jay last season after he played the fake idol is another good example.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem with Troyzan is that for whatever reason he seemed to think he was playing a better game than he was. Like 2 tribals before Final he publicly declared he could beat anyone. He seemed to genuinely believe he was doing... something. But when he was asked to actually explain it he just kind of fell on his face and said... "oh ok, it was a fun ride."

Like, Tai played a poo poo game but at the end there he was very clearly questioning if he could win the jury's vote. Troyzan, for whatever reason, decided to just declare himself the season's best player.

That was funny. I don't wish him ill will or anything.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

xbilkis posted:

I think Amanda wins a F3. Parvati keeps Natalie and Alexis. Cirie gets Eliza and Jason. I don't see what argument Cirie makes that pulls any of Amanda's votes.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

garthoneeye posted:

I think Amanda wins a F3. Parvati keeps Natalie and Alexis. Cirie gets Eliza and Jason. I don't see what argument Cirie makes that pulls any of Amanda's votes.

The Erik play would be a pretty big move to swing some jurors over.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

garthoneeye posted:

Alexis said at Ponderosa she wanted Cirie to win, Jason said he would never vote for Cirie, and Erik said on reddit that Cirie would've won a final 3 (and presumably his vote).

I think probably something like

Parv: Natalie and Jason
Amanda: James and Ozzy
Cirie: Erik, Alexis, Eliza

with possibly James flipping to Cirie.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
We all have Varner's book pre-ordered though, right?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

obliriovrons posted:

We all have Varner's book pre-ordered though, right?

I didn't know you could do preorders on thepiratebay :smug:

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I dislike Sarah too much to appreciate anything she did to win. gently caress.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:psyduck:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She was like Russell with social skills. I can respect that much.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

She was like Russell with social skills. I can respect that much.

Didn't see her burn any socks this season

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Yeah she... wasn't like Russell.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

If anything she was the perfection of the Rob C strategy always being the pivotal vote and flipping between alliances.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
As a resident of Cedar Rapids, I'm wondering, do we have the most Survivor winners per capita of cities/metro areas with multiple winners? The CR metro area is just 250,000, and we have two winners.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I complained after the Final 7 Tribal Council about players being screwed by not all knowing the rules of the game their playing, and I think that also applies to Final 6. No one besides Sarah knew (or could have known) about the Legacy Advantage, and every other member of the Final 6 had never seen a season where 4 idols were in play at the same time. From Tai/Cirie/Aubry's perspective there should have only been one other idol in the game (at most) in addition to Tai's two, and the "worst" case scenario is that Sarah has it and it's a 0-0 vote where presumably Cirie and Troyzan have to make fire.

It's aggravating seeing players being unable to strategize around twists and advantages they don't know about and/or don't understands the rules for. The idols are fun because everyone knows what they are and how they work. But how is it fun seeing a legend of the game being taken out by a secret fourth idol that no one knew could have existed? Wouldn't it have been more fun if they all knew the Legacy was out there, and they were all strategizing around it and trying to plan a contingency plan for if Troyzan and Sarah had both an idol and legacy? Wouldn't it be interesting to know if Tai still plays both of his idols if he knows there is a possibility that all three of Troy/Sarah/Brad would be immune?

I don't really know what the show is thinking with these secret powers that no one even knows exists. As far as I can tell they've produced 3 "memorable" moments (Tony lying that he was safe at Final 4, and the Final 7 + 6 this season), all of which are only "memorable" because otherwise smart players couldn't strategize properly because they didn't know the rules of the game they were playing.

The way to fix it is just explain exactly what advantages will be in play in a given season pre-game, and make sure everyone fully understands the rules. You don't have to give away who has what or how they will be hidden or anything, but if there is a power in the game that affects the basic rule mechanics of voting people out, the players should know about it and be able to strategize around it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

garthoneeye posted:

If anything she was the perfection of the Rob C strategy always being the pivotal vote and flipping between alliances.
I think her game was pretty unique actually, she did flip several times but that wasn't really the secret of her game, which imo was being an emotional vampire trusted by everyone regardless of the moves she made against them. Btw Rob made it to the F3 as well

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Golbez posted:

As a resident of Cedar Rapids, I'm wondering, do we have the most Survivor winners per capita of cities/metro areas with multiple winners? The CR metro area is just 250,000, and we have two winners.

northern NJ has 3 winners, boston area has like 4, santa monica has three.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
And here when I thought Millennials vs GenX was the dumbest name ever, comes Survivor HHH.

"Survivor Season 35 - It's all about the game, and how you play it"

You're welcome, prop machine.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 30, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

gif Probst posted:

northern NJ has 3 winners, boston area has like 4, santa monica has three.

Where the recruiters hang out.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GuavaMoment posted:

And here when I thought Millennials vs GenX was the dumbest name ever, comes Survivor HHH.

"If you don't like it, Jeff Probst has two words for you..."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

I think her game was pretty unique actually, she did flip several times but that wasn't really the secret of her game, which imo was being an emotional vampire trusted by everyone regardless of the moves she made against them. Btw Rob made it to the F3 as well

This is why I compare her more to Russell than Rob, partially. Rob was more openly viewed as a scheme and strategist, whereas Russell would form bonds with people, earn their trust, and position them to make dumb moves for him. That was Sarah's game, especially for the second half since she didn't merit much screentime pre-merge. She won by working the hell out of a bitter jury of people who felt personally betrayed and humiliated. I think Brad wins or ties (and then wins from Troy's deciding vote) without that performance.

GuavaMoment posted:

Bahahaha, awesome. The possibilities are endless but I'll keep that one in mind for sure.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Returnees often being the most bitter jurors is the worst.

Anyway, time to give Survivor NZ a go. I only watched a couple of episodes of Survivor Australia after it became clear the cast had no idea how to play the game. Hopefully this is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is why I compare her more to Russell than Rob, partially. Rob was more openly viewed as a scheme and strategist, whereas Russell would form bonds with people, earn their trust, and position them to make dumb moves for him. That was Sarah's game, especially for the second half since she didn't merit much screentime pre-merge. She won by working the hell out of a bitter jury of people who felt personally betrayed and humiliated. I think Brad wins or ties (and then wins from Troy's deciding vote) without that performance.
I thought Russell's problem was that he was just a hatable rear end in a top hat no one would ever want to win

• Locked thread