Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And here I thought there was only one anime golf game coming out this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm done with Zelda and Mario Kart, so what's next?

I keep seeing Shovel Knight being praised but honestly playing this 8-bit throwback games just makes me depressed because it's the kind of poo poo I would have LOVED as a kid but now it just makes me angry because I suck at platformers.

I like the concept of Disgaea as this long-term SRPG, but past attempts at getting into it on the Vita left me aggravated at how unbearably ~anime~ it is. Is whatever this one on the Switch better/worse?

Should I just shelf my Switch until...something else comes out? :smith:

Shovel Knight has infinite lives and a ton of checkpoints and most powerup items you obtain increase mobility, though you already have plenty of mobility. Go for it.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I have Shovel Knight on the WiiU and the 3DS. I can't...I can't really justify buying it again, can I?

God help me I think I can.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Out of curiosity, what open world games have Capcom even made?

Breath of Fire 6? :smith:

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Which western developer will Monster Hunter HD be farmed out to?

Cloud Imperium Games.

Please look forward to the new Monster Hunter gameplay mechanic coming to Star Citizen.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a Monster Hunter MMO only available in China, I think its a 3rd party developer but its built in the Unreal engine IIRC and it looks pretty amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEfvXziLJOk

Looks interesting, but I can see why it's not available globally. (gameplay starts about 4 minutes in)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyjTzc7EH4I
Anyone post this yet? Extremely my poo poo

I...will buy this, though I wish it had more traditional golf game mechanics (Unless they just excised any glimpse at the actual golf gameplay interface from the trailer.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JethroMcB posted:

I...will buy this, though I wish it had more traditional golf game mechanics (Unless they just excised any glimpse at the actual golf gameplay interface from the trailer.)

Can't tell from the trailer, but would guess it has regular courses in the same top down perspective, with each hole being a "map" like the story and training maps this seems to show.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kashuno posted:

Are you including the New Switch XL in this?

Nah, is that one even backwards compatible? I fail to see the point seeing as how the Switch has no games anyway

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Anyone have opinions on the 8Bitdo controllers? When I saw that they were Switch compatible, I got the NES30 Pro off Amazon.

Is this a bad controller, or am I wrong? The d-pad feels good (don't have a game that can really test it), but the rest seems problematic. The buttons are sticky, and the sticks feel too loose.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
why do you need someone to tell you if the controller you own is bad

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Those monster hunter ps4 rumors don't hold a lot of ground. Monster Hunter is perfect portably, and the devs know this. It only managed to survive by going from ps2 to psp, and becoming hugely popular in japan due to close proximity with people on long train rides/ect.

I'll sure as poo poo buy it if it comes out on the ps4, but I really don't want to have to be glued to my couch to play it. Oh, also mhgen changed the way you make better gear, so grinding isn't as bad. You can also just use any parts from x monster half the time, instead of x part from x monster.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That Golf Story trailer looks rad. Is this an RPG or what?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm 100% down with this.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm kind of surprised that the console doesn't have an HDMI port built right in as far as I can see, it seems like an oversight for what is supposed to be the biggest pick up and go console ever

Flint_Paper posted:

I have Shovel Knight on the WiiU and the 3DS. I can't...I can't really justify buying it again, can I?

God help me I think I can.

Ask me how many times I have bought Binding of Issac

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm kind of surprised that the console doesn't have an HDMI port built right in as far as I can see, it seems like an oversight for what is supposed to be the biggest pick up and go console ever

If you get a USB-C to HDMI cable, will it work? Or does it require whatever hardware is in the dock to output?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm done with Zelda and Mario Kart, so what's next?

I keep seeing Shovel Knight being praised but honestly playing these 8-bit throwback games just makes me depressed because it's the kind of poo poo I would have LOVED as a kid but now it just makes me angry because I suck at platformers.

Actually, you probably don't suck, it's likely the input lag added by your television. Use a monitor, or go to https://www.displaylag.com

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switch can't run SF2 background animations. What's wrong with this console

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

Switch can't run SF2 background animations. What's wrong with this console

ahahahahaha

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guilds boat doesn't animate on Switch. It literally stays still. Clouds don't float in Ryus stage. Embarrassing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Imagined posted:

If you get a USB-C to HDMI cable, will it work? Or does it require whatever hardware is in the dock to output?

I'm not tech savvy enough to say for sure without trying but I imagine that the docking mechanism is also the signal to send through the port so probably not.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Man the only way this was ever justifiable at $40 was if it were the perfect, ultimate, definitive, anniversary edition of SF2, but nope, lazy bullshit cash in, like we all suspected.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
More money and effort was spent on the Ryu in Smash Bros. DLC than was put into this title.

Sakurai even called Shimomura up and said "HEY! We need a remix of Ryu's theme." and she was on that poo poo.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm not tech savvy enough to say for sure without trying but I imagine that the docking mechanism is also the signal to send through the port so probably not.

USB-C is capable of this without a powered dock, but it doesn't seem like Nintendo is using the standard config for USB-C video since 3rd party USB-C docks don't work.

Also the Switch uses extra power from the dock to render at a higher resolution when playing on a TV. So if you connected it without the dock you would either be stuck at 720p, or get terrible battery life. I don't think Nintendo is going to release a cable or adapter for that.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

oh holy gently caress, Switch purchase verified

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The HDMI signal is encrypted by the Switch and decrypted in the dock, so it may be a while before 3rd party substitutions start showing up.

If you look up the cost for most usb-C to HDMI docks and price in the AC adapter/HDMI cable, it's honestly not a horrible deal. Still more than I'm happy paying, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

oh holy gently caress, Switch purchase verified

A GOLF game? On my Switch??

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A GOLF game? On my Switch??

In a perfect universe...we can have TWO golf games on the switch

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Golf Story looks really charming. I'll snag that for sure.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's $40.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you guys play your switch? In the giant Wii U tablet mode, or with a controller, or what?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Turtlicious posted:

How do you guys play your switch? In the giant Wii U tablet mode, or with a controller, or what?

The Siwtch can be enjoyed in numerous different modes: Handheld mode, table mode or TV mode. And it uses controllers.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

All of them

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

All of the above. Play it at home in dock mode with either the grip or single joycon. Play it at work in either portable or tabletop mode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Turtlicious posted:

All. Tabletop mode too.

That golf game looks awesome. I love that every cool indie game is going to be on Switch.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

Umm excuse me, the technical term is giant Game Boy Advance mode thank you very much.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Meridian posted:

That and apparently they're doing a Witcher series. What a time to be alive.

Remember that CDPR is not involved with the Witcher show so what you've come to know and love as far as character and monster designs will be thrown out the window.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Did someone seriously say a few pages ago that Monster Hunter isn't obtuse

I love that series to death but lomarf it is obtuse a f *stares at skill page*

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
My favorite Switch thing was setting it up on a table in a corner of a kareoke bar and my friends and I having beers and karting between songs

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I play my Switch almost exclusively in handheld mode. Smaller screens up close are more comfortable for me than staring at a TV several feet away.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I haven't tried or likely will ever try tabletop mode. Used to prefer handheld, but then once someone in here informed me the headphone jack still works while docked I plugged the dock into my monitor and have mostly played that way with the grip controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Did someone seriously say a few pages ago that Monster Hunter isn't obtuse

I love that series to death but lomarf it is obtuse a f *stares at skill page*

Like a lot of games, it has a lot of obtuse systems that you can gently caress around with if you want to min/max, but you can easily play the game and never really worry about it. That'd be like saying Pokemon is obtuse because the systems behind it are bizarre and EV/IV perfect breeding is a bizarre hellhole.

• Locked thread