Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Just use the Jaded Amarflower thing and a drum of the wild?

Honestly I've never dove super far into Botania so simply automating it using the actual Botania stuff never occurred to me. I was just thinking entirely machines.

That'd be the amaranthus, a drum, the hopper flower, and some way to get mana passively? It seems like a relatively straightforward setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Tyty posted:

Honestly I've never dove super far into Botania so simply automating it using the actual Botania stuff never occurred to me. I was just thinking entirely machines.

That'd be the amaranthus, a drum, the hopper flower, and some way to get mana passively? It seems like a relatively straightforward setup.

Yep, pretty much. Botania's whole gimmick is that 99.99% of the stuff in it is automatable with just Botania and vanilla redstone. You can use other mods, of course -- AE2's formation and annihilation planes are amazing for automating livingrock and livingwood -- but aside from the thermalilly, everything can be automated with the tools you're given with the mod.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's the general opinion on Railcraft in 1.10? I'm looking for a general minecart mod and all I can easily find are that and Steve's Carts Reborn.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I am running Fun Ores.. because I wanted more ores and the meat drying racks. But now I have all these Ores that I can't do anything with. The mod author has other mods to work with the ores but they add way too much stuff for my taste, and I think they look like poo poo.

Is there any mods that let you use generic metals (copper, tin, steel, etc) to make tools/weapons/armor with? I can't seem to find any mods that don't add additional ores to create their super special armor. Running 1.11.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Polish posted:

I am running Fun Ores.. because I wanted more ores and the meat drying racks. But now I have all these Ores that I can't do anything with. The mod author has other mods to work with the ores but they add way too much stuff for my taste, and I think they look like poo poo.

Is there any mods that let you use generic metals (copper, tin, steel, etc) to make tools/weapons/armor with? I can't seem to find any mods that don't add additional ores to create their super special armor. Running 1.11.
Tinkers' Construct will use most ores it finds as tool and weapon parts, so that's probably something you should look into.

fake edit: looking at the Fun Ores mod, as near as I can tell all the "regular" ores it adds are in Tinkers' and Immersive Engineering, so maybe run it alongside those?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's the general opinion on Railcraft in 1.10? I'm looking for a general minecart mod and all I can easily find are that and Steve's Carts Reborn.

I've found it bearable, other than changing the hopper minecart functionality which sounds like it'll be fixed in the next version anyways.

Though I'm still not a fan of the vanilla track recipe changing, I had a creosote surplus from setting up IE and just used the forestry Carpenter to make ties.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Now I have an Agricraft question: is it possible to set it up so that you can use IE hemp and Natrua's barley and cotton seeds with crop sticks? The config files are added to Agricraft's config, but they're not working in-game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I know IE hemp can, it's been set up for Project Ozone 2. I would assume Natura's plants could too but I can't think of a modpack that I've played with them.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Here's an odd request: Anyone know of a good modpack (preferably 1.7.10) that starts you near a structure that's fairly well made/good for exploring, or a decent world for doing just that?

I ask because I'm having some buddies over in a few hours to experience the Vive for the first time, and Minecraft is still one of the best ways to demonstrate a sense of physical presence and scale. Using Vivecraft for this, so pretty much anything will do -- looks like my old saves are gone, though, and I'm on the clock right now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Here's an odd request: Anyone know of a good modpack (preferably 1.7.10) that starts you near a structure that's fairly well made/good for exploring, or a decent world for doing just that?

I ask because I'm having some buddies over in a few hours to experience the Vive for the first time, and Minecraft is still one of the best ways to demonstrate a sense of physical presence and scale. Using Vivecraft for this, so pretty much anything will do -- looks like my old saves are gone, though, and I'm on the clock right now.

Probably Blightfall due to all the hand-edited content in the world. However, that's a lot of purple.

I guess the tutorial city in BFSR can work if you go between all the demo rooms. The active reactors section would be pretty trippy.

My only other suggestion is something that has a bunch of dungeon mods. Roguelike dungeons would give some nice atmosphere to crawl around in with VR.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Meskhenet posted:

In COtT

i placed an ender energy conduit and now my game crashes, mcedit still works to remove items?

For some reason, conduit from mob loot are bugged in CotT. The dev claims to have fixed it. For me, they show up as a missing texture. I just enable cheats, delete the conduit drops, and give myself working conduit. Crafted conduit seems to work fine. This applies to item conduit, various types of energy conduit, and I think fluid conduit.

I also increased the frequency of backups to every 15 minutes. I think CotT makes a backup every two hours by default. You can check to see when the most recent backup was. I've encountered a few game-stopping bugs that required a restore, and frequent backups make that a fairly painless process.

I second Baby's First Space Race. The space station is full of fun stuff to see. Blightfall has cool stuff, but it's not very accessible. Crossing the blight early on is dangerous.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 26, 2017

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Probably Blightfall due to all the hand-edited content in the world. However, that's a lot of purple.

I guess the tutorial city in BFSR can work if you go between all the demo rooms. The active reactors section would be pretty trippy.

My only other suggestion is something that has a bunch of dungeon mods. Roguelike dungeons would give some nice atmosphere to crawl around in with VR.

BFSR was my first thought, but the demo area is prone to FPS hangups when you teleport back to it. Those are barf city for VR.

Dungeon mods are a good suggestion, though. Didn't think about that -- in the same vein, Twilight Forest might actually be just what I'm looking for.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Maybe one of the Material Energy packs? I remember ME^3 looking really cool from the get-go.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

bigperm posted:

McJty is an inhuman coding machine.

Quoting myself because

https://twitter.com/McJty/status/868029401883193344

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

I know IE hemp can, it's been set up for Project Ozone 2. I would assume Natura's plants could too but I can't think of a modpack that I've played with them.

Looking at the config files, it seems like Agricraft wants to use growth progression blocks from ActuallyAdditions (which I'm not using) instead of Natura for some reason. Now I guess I need to figure out how to get the Natura block info to change the config files.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 26, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Whoa that looks cool!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

More.....MORE! ALL OF IT! No wait that's too much oh god!

My AE network is getting really laggy. Attaching a ME Cable makes the game pause for a few seconds. I think I'm gonna have to split the network up a bit.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Did you remove the channels limit?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Yeah it was holding me back.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cheater

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The business dimension.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, some friends and I are wanting to do a private modded Minecraft server. We're mostly leaning towards magic mods, like Botania, Blood Magic, Thaumcraft, and Witchery (the latter of which necessitates 1.7.10), and also want some explore-y mods like dungeon mods (one friend really likes the roguelike dungeons mod) and Twilight Forest. Tinkers Construct is also appreciated.

Any good modpacks for all that? So far everything we've found is missing a few things we want; Mage Quest lacks TC, Twilight, and so on, but is otherwise the closest thing so we might use it and add in the other stuff manually, or possibly just put something together ourselves, but if there are better options out there that'd be great. Anyone have any suggestions?

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I really liked The 1.7.10 Pack. I'm pretty sure The 1.7.10 Pack has all of the mods you're looking for. It's on the Technic Platform, not Twitch though. If it's not exactly what you want, you can add or remove mods.

A lot of people play Feed the Beast: Infinity Evolved. It's on Twitch. The mods in it are heavily customized, which may or may not appeal to you.

These packs include tech and magic, but you can remove the mods you don't like.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 26, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Twitch definitely isn't required (I prefer Technic generally, personally), and thanks for the recommendations. Looking at it, if our friend who likes tech mods a lot wants them, we'll probably go with The 1.7.10 Pack, while if we decide on something entirely magic-focused the Natural Magic pack from the ATLauncher looks like it has everything we need there. Thanks again.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So what exactly controls the whole 'left click to get a stack of something' in JEI? I've turned it to recipe mode but I just want to see the drat recipe on left click, not get items.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Think there's an options menu to the bottom right, turn off cheat mode.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

change it in World options, not Global.

World overrides Global, iirc

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

change it in World options, not Global.

World overrides Global, iirc

reignonyourparade posted:

Think there's an options menu to the bottom right, turn off cheat mode.

Changed it in both and no change at all.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I have seen a few modders mention that their 1.11.2 version will work for 1.10.2. Does that go for all or just the mods that mention that?
I am specifically asking for refined storage.

I was getting the incorrect names bug in WAILA in 1.10.2 so I tried Hwyla, which gave me a few crashes. I then tried The One Probe which just doesnt play nice with Storage drawers-compacting drawers.
I will have to stick with the buggy WAILA.

e: Also, Immersive Petroleum looks good.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 27, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
CotT tip: Don't use the Mystic Agriculture seeds for any vanilla materials (besides gold, if you can breed a gold essence seed to 10/10/10 somehow, I can't get the drat things to breed at all. There are baseline agriculture seeds that are relatively easy to mutate and will spit out whole iron ingots, emeralds, and diamonds, up to 4 at a time. Similar things for lapis, redstone, and glowstone. They're way stronger than Mystic Agriculture.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

CotT tip: Don't use the Mystic Agriculture seeds for any vanilla materials (besides gold, if you can breed a gold essence seed to 10/10/10 somehow, I can't get the drat things to breed at all. There are baseline agriculture seeds that are relatively easy to mutate and will spit out whole iron ingots, emeralds, and diamonds, up to 4 at a time. Similar things for lapis, redstone, and glowstone. They're way stronger than Mystic Agriculture.

I was messing with those in Agskies 2. There was a gold variety, is that disabled in CoTT for some reason?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Uganda Loves Me posted:

For some reason, conduit from mob loot are bugged in CotT. The dev claims to have fixed it. For me, they show up as a missing texture. I just enable cheats, delete the conduit drops, and give myself working conduit. Crafted conduit seems to work fine. This applies to item conduit, various types of energy conduit, and I think fluid conduit.

I also increased the frequency of backups to every 15 minutes. I think CotT makes a backup every two hours by default. You can check to see when the most recent backup was. I've encountered a few game-stopping bugs that required a restore, and frequent backups make that a fairly painless process.

I second Baby's First Space Race. The space station is full of fun stuff to see. Blightfall has cool stuff, but it's not very accessible. Crossing the blight early on is dangerous.

after a lot of fiddling (with mcedit) i created a new profile and updated to .17 and managed to remove the conduit. I should cheat in the dropped ones.

BUT, as its a new profile of CotT it is straight up the way the author has it. So i went out to start my overworld expansion and started walling off a section of land out the front of my mountain cave only to be accosted by dogs and bears again.

At least now i have somewhere to run, so i think ill keep them in.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Ok. I know someone can help me out with this, but i cant seem to find it. There is a pack where you start near to a huge library type structure that houses parts of the modpacks that you unlock by fulfilling quests.

I remember it has the mod that makes building a pain as blocks will fall if not supported.

Dawn of the Void forces you to go exploring, as in lifting up your entire place and changing dimensions.

My son plays a heap of different packs in creative and i always enoy watching him go through Crainercraft 2 on the AT launcher.

Then there is a Tolkien inspired semi handcrafted world that lagged my pc to the point i never got out of the starter town.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Man, I swear to god that AE2 has ruined me in MC. I am like actually stressed out by inventory management until I get an AE2 or RS system up and running. Like I think I'm going to have to just start cheating in a system in all of my games from here on out because I can't relax until I get it setup.

On a smaller pack with less stuff I might be able to do it - I was fine on a harvest moon-style map that basically only had a handful of mods because storage drawers handled it, but I quite like gigantic kitchen sink mod packs.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I was messing with those in Agskies 2. There was a gold variety, is that disabled in CoTT for some reason?

No, it just spits out nuggets instead of ingots, and if you could get the mystic agriculture seeds to actually breed properly they'd spit materials out faster than the agriculture gold seeds. All the other plants produce whole products so they're way better than the mystic agriculture seeds.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Falcon2001 posted:

Man, I swear to god that AE2 has ruined me in MC. I am like actually stressed out by inventory management until I get an AE2 or RS system up and running. Like I think I'm going to have to just start cheating in a system in all of my games from here on out because I can't relax until I get it setup.

On a smaller pack with less stuff I might be able to do it - I was fine on a harvest moon-style map that basically only had a handful of mods because storage drawers handled it, but I quite like gigantic kitchen sink mod packs.

i think i'm at the point where i just cheat in quality of life stuff if i'm messing with a big modpack and just want to explore new or unknown mods. like, i'll straight up give myself a couple stacks of torches whenever or a diamond pickaxe, but i won't give myself coal or diamonds. also applies for really basic stuff like dirt/stone/whatever where the only thing in the way of me getting stacks of it is mind-numbing digging. really helps me hold interest in modpacks if i allow that sort of stuff for myself so that i can actually focus on what i want to check out.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

No, it just spits out nuggets instead of ingots, and if you could get the mystic agriculture seeds to actually breed properly they'd spit materials out faster than the agriculture gold seeds. All the other plants produce whole products so they're way better than the mystic agriculture seeds.

I'm pretty sure there's a second tier of gold plants that requires gold blocks under them instead of gold ore.

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life

Taffer posted:

Type "/forge tps". If overworld tps is listed to be less than 20, you have a lag problem.

Then install Opis and run it, it will help you track down the source of the lag.

lolmer posted:

How much memory did you assign to the Minecraft server instance? I usually give 3-4G for a modded server. It may be garbage collection (GC) sweeps causing those pauses, which happens too often if you have too little RAM, but also has a detrimental effect if you give too much RAM.

TPS was 20, tick rate would jump between 3 ms then 15 ms then back to 3 ms over and over again. I tried OPIS before but there was no documentation, I did not know what a heavy load was for an event tile, entity, or event handler was. I caused all mobs to die and would rez a single mob in and it would behave the same way. I could have 200 mobs in loaded chunks and they behaved the same way, simply increasing the "us" value. I had a furnace using 40 us, my own character used 70 us, 50 pigs used 1000us or so.

The server started at 512mb and the batch file set to to a max of 3072 mb, it never used more then 1 gb as I mentioned, and never went above 21% processor utilization (1 core), usually holding at around 11%.

Using OPIS I would teleport around to anything that seemed to have high values, until the sever booted me for a connection error and I was unable to log back in. One of my friends just built a nice system a few days ago and I walked her through the process of setting up a server, so we're using some mod pack; as I've decided to wash my hands on my server as it provided too much grief and effort.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

When I transitioned from 1.6.4 to 1.7.10 I looked at dozens of modpacks and every time one looked really great but then I couldn't find AE2 in the modlist I was like "What's the loving point?" Luckily I came across that website that lists all modpacks with filters for specific mods.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm beginning to think my lag problems are related to my processor. I'm running a non-k i5-4670 which is quad core 3.4GHz. I don't know what else to do, tried all kinds of java parameters and nothing helps. It only happened after I explored a pretty large chunk of the world and logged off. The next time I started the server it was lag city and not working. I would think that stuff not loaded wouldn't cause server lag but I imagine that this is?

EDIT: I got MCEdit and pruned everything outside my base -- the SERVER CAN'T KEEP UP issue continues even with nothing on the map besides my base. I haven't added any new machines lately. this is frustrating, my wife and i have been working on this world for a month.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
One of my ongoing irritations with the Curse launcher is that it doesn't let you look at the full modlist for a pack without installing it.