Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

John McCain is very disturbed and concerned about this recent development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Oh good, we're back in the days of Sarah Palin's "Second Amendment Solutions" only now it's directed against the press.

Also I'm pretty sure if a Black Democrat (or any Democrat) did this "joke" it would not be received as such.

It's because they are not part of the rich white feudal class.

Unfair? It's their divine right.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Radish posted:

Oh man when some reporter gets shot for real I can't imagine how many thoughts and prayers are going out for his or her family.

There will be a great disturbance in many Republican sentiments

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Remember Gifford was shot at the height of Sarah Palin's dumbass "target shooting" ads.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

I eagerly await the day shooting reporters in public becomes a viable election strategy

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah he figured he could damage Hillary so that her victory would be narrower and thus give the GOP more ammo to decry her as an illegitimate President.

Yeah, if she had won she'd have been mired in a never-ending "But her emails!" crisis that would have sucked up a lot of political energy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also this is the same party that was canceling town halls because they were SO SCARED about mean citizens. They are all absolutely worthless.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Radish posted:

Oh man when some reporter gets shot for real I can't imagine how many thoughts and prayers are going out for his or her family.

I will put $100 dollars that the top comment of that story will read to the effect of "UR NEXT!" on the mainstream publication of your choose.

As an aside, the gently caress is up with The Atlantic's comments section. Hyper conservatives on every article I check. On the loving Atlantic.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Flapjack Monty posted:

I eagerly await the day shooting reporters in public becomes a viable election strategy

Honestly, I think Republicans could do it now. The voters wouldn't care. I guess the courts might care, but is there anything stopping someone from being in Congress from prison?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah he figured he could damage Hillary so that her victory would be narrower and thus give the GOP more ammo to decry her as an illegitimate President.

I think the thing in November was more about keeping his job. If she dumped him when she assumed office it would have been seen as revenge.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Let's never forget that sometimes the truth actually is in the middle, that Comey is a dumb, overreaching imperious shitlord and it's a good thing now because the president is a crazed pissbaby.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Reporters in open carry States should start doing just that

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Radish posted:

Also this is the same party that was canceling town halls because they were SO SCARED about mean citizens. They are all absolutely worthless.

also most of them are dusty old men that can't body-slam their twink rent boys, let alone journalists

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

ZorajitZorajit posted:

As an aside, the gently caress is up with The Atlantic's comments section. Hyper conservatives on every article I check. On the loving Atlantic.

I guess you never read the comments before. Every single political site is swamped by insane conservatives, even if it's a publication that should logically make conservatives vomit to read it. Take a look at the comments on the Guardian website - right now, it's about 2/3 "This comment was removed by a moderator" but before they hired more moderators, you'd have supposed the Guardian was the official paper of the BNP (British fascist party) from the opinions of the readers.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

Reporters in open carry States should start doing just that

I agree. The press should be armed. Start a program, give it a catchy title like "Pistols for the Press". If nothing else, it would at least be the first time the 2nd Amendment has been used to defend any other amendment other than itself.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
gently caress yeah! You ride that rocketship to state fiscal crisis wisconsin!

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/868158321542533120

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Danger posted:

Remember Gifford was shot at the height of Sarah Palin's dumbass "target shooting" ads.

Excuse me those were cartography markers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sloober posted:

gently caress yeah! You ride that rocketship to state fiscal crisis wisconsin!

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/868158321542533120

there will be a reckoning.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I need an emote that means "not mutually exclusive"

We need one of the "why not both" girl.

EDIT:

LaserShark posted:

porquenolosdos.jpg

drat.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

Well I don't know how you folks think Dems are going to win. Having the Northeast and west coast is obviously not enough. Remember, there's a small amount of voters out there that actually decide these elections. A small change might be all it takes. And if you have to give up something what's it going to be?

Labor rights
Reproductive Rights
Civil rights
Lgbtq rights
Proper business regulations
Healthcare for all
Expanding education
Gun control

Of all those, gun control really seems like the most painless one to drop imo.

I know this was a a million pages ago in this fast moving thread; it really seems like these things can build on eachother.

Heathcare for all should be the core of the democratic platform. It should be the democrat's version of lower taxes. Having healthcare to fall back on, eases a lot of pressure on people. If people have less economic pressure they have more job mobility; this puts the thumb on the scale of the labor/capital balance. Reproductive rights seem like they would really start to fall into place at that point. If the poor/working class have access to regular checkups and decent reproductive care, they will end up making better informed decisions and getting educated on issues of birth control/plan-b/abortion.

I feel that education will make a big impact on civil rights and LGBTQ issues as well in a similar way.

Intense focus on these issues can snowball into the underlying structural issues that are at the root of everything in that list; no need to rail about gun control and alienate conservatives.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Groovelord Neato posted:

there will be a reckoning.

Not if I own a huge house, hate children, and make the decision to never be poor. :smug:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/868134146379587585

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/tpm/status/868153048069287936

lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Democrats need to stop giving in to "custom" and just do exactly the maximum that the rules allow.

They just got boned on the appointment of federal judges because they "didn't think the Senate Republicans would dare go this far."

quote:

Senate Republicans are moving to overhaul a long-standing tradition for processing judicial nominees to thwart potential Democratic obstruction of President Trump’s picks to fill the federal bench.

Ironically, it’s a custom GOP lawmakers themselves took advantage of to block numerous judicial nominees under President Obama, creating the glut of vacancies on the bench they now seek to help Trump fill.

The custom is known as the home-state “blue slip,” and it has allowed senators to block judicial nominees hailing from their own states. The “blue slip” refers to the physical blue slips the two senators representing the state from where a judge is being nominated must turn in for the nomination to advance to a committee hearing. In theory, the custom is supposed to encourage the White House to get input from the Senate in choosing federal judges. However, under Obama, GOP senators withheld blue slips to block nominees — even ones they previously backed — as a way of foiling his agenda and leaving the vacancies open for a future Republican president.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Rebel Blob posted:

Looks like violence against reporters, actual or threatened, is fast becoming a Republican plank.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/868125634773614592

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/868118572752568322
Wow, reporters gotta start carrying guns.

ETA:

Google Butt posted:

Reporters in open carry States should start doing just tha
WHY AM I SO BAD AT THIS

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 26, 2017

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I will put $100 dollars that the top comment of that story will read to the effect of "UR NEXT!" on the mainstream publication of your choose.

Internet comments are useless because everyone who isnt typing like a raving lunatic is probably just a robot astroturfing. Half of the raving lunatics are also probably astroturfing robots.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Have y'all read Trump's stupid-rear end Ramadan statement yet? Whoever wrote it tried so hard to follow the formula. Still couldn't help but betray 1:1 mental association of Islam and terrorism.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/868129758906908675

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Why not just add new plaques?

"Treason, Racism, Cowardice, Surrender"

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

BarbarianElephant posted:

I guess you never read the comments before. Every single political site is swamped by insane conservatives, even if it's a publication that should logically make conservatives vomit to read it. Take a look at the comments on the Guardian website - right now, it's about 2/3 "This comment was removed by a moderator" but before they hired more moderators, you'd have supposed the Guardian was the official paper of the BNP (British fascist party) from the opinions of the readers.

Even traditionally conservative publications like the WSJ have a rabid far-right following now that does nothing but call every article leftist/establishment fake news. I think they follow them on Facebook with the sole intention of trolling libruls in the comments.

If you really want to have a :psyduck: moment, follow The Economist on Facebook and read the comments random people leave on seemingly straightforward articles.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

So if I were hypothetically to erect a monument of Confederate soldiers being hanged for treason, no one could take it down?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

And here I thought Texas was bad (It is) but drat looks like Bama's Gov is trying to give the rolling homophobe a run for his money..

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Democrats need to stop giving in to "custom" and just do exactly the maximum that the rules allow.

They just got boned on the appointment of federal judges because they "didn't think the Senate Republicans would dare go this far."

I want to live in the world that Democratic politicians live in since it's a wonderful fantasy land.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So if I were hypothetically to erect a monument of Confederate soldiers being hanged for treason, no one could take it down?

No.

quote:

The bill will block local governments from removing monuments that have been on public property for more than 40 years. It also prevents renaming public schools that have stood for 40 years.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

If cities can't then how about a bunch of "concerned citizens" "misplace" the monuments.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Reminder Scott Waler thinks about Reagan(an old white man) on his wedding anniversary(and therefore during The anniversary Sex).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nothing has ever made me want to form a mob more than that loving Robert E Lee statue at the almost fully segregated black high school near my house

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have more sympathy for the CSA than many here I expect but the Lost Cause is a lot cause now. I remember back when the Confederate Flag was taken down in South Carolina a couple years ago...and nobody cared. I mean, relatively nobody. I love the South, warts and all, and the idea they are all a bunch of Confederate apologists is just not true. Undoubtedly a small minority are but the olden days are quickly slipping away. The old guard and die-hards are still in positions of power so poo poo like this happens but the average Southerner growing up? I don't think they much care. The Confederacy was for their grandfathers and now even their great grandfathers.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but I would forecast that in 20 or so years when we have new generation of politicians in charge, the last remnant of this stuff will dry up.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Comey is a stupid idiot that may in the end redeem himself.

We'll see.

I said it at the time, Trump firing him is the best possible thing to happen to Comey's legacy

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

axeil posted:

If cities can't then how about a bunch of "concerned citizens" "misplace" the monuments.
These statues are causing me some serious economic anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Can you post the URL to this article?

Edit: Can we start posting the URLs to articles in addition to a text snippet? I'd like to read more, know where it's coming from, and be able to save it into my read later app.

• Locked thread